Start by marking “Dracula, Motherf**ker!” as Want to Read:
Dracula, Motherf**ker!

Dracula, Motherf**ker!

Vienna, 1889: Dracula's brides nail him to the bottom of his coffin. Los Angeles, 1974: an ageing starlet decides to raise the stakes. Crime scene photographer Quincy Harker is the only man who knows it happened, but will anyone believe him before he gets his own chalk outline? And are Dracula's three brides there to help him... or use him as bait? A pulpy, pulse-pounding ...more
Published October 13th 2020 by Image Comics (first published October 7th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Dracula, Motherf**ker!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dracula, Motherf**ker!

Start your review of Dracula, Motherf**ker!
Dan Schwent
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, 2020-comics
When a Hollywood party results in Dracula being wakened from his deathly sleep, Quincy Harker, police photographer, is in way over his head. Even with the help of some mysterious women, can Quincy avoid being Dracula's next meal?

I've been following Alex de Campi on the Twitter since reading Archie vs. Predator and Erica Henderson since she started live tweeting old Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episodes. When these two bad asses teamed up, I was powerless to resist.

Dracula, Motherf**cker is a
Alexander Peterhans
1970s Los Angeles, city of vampires. Harker (lol!) is a freelance news photographer, who specialises in photographing crime scenes of grisly murders. Dracula is a faceless evil force with lots of eyes and lots of teeth. His 'brides' see in Harker a chance to take down ol' Drac.

The story isn't very interesting, I'm afraid. The idea of Dracula's victims turning against him is nice, but it's basically the only idea here.

A lot more interesting is Erica Henderson's art, which is quite different from
Stacey-Lea
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it

We all know I'm always here for vampires so naturally I was interested in one of the og vamps being brought into the 1970s LA scene. A total vibe.

Sadly there was really no depth to this story and without the character studies at the end I wouldn't have even known the names of majority of them. However I did love the visuals. Erica Henderson has done an amazing job, especially with colour, to really give this graphic novel something to hold on to.

*ARC provided by Edelweiss for an honest
Matt Peterson
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
The back material from author and artist was really interesting but the rest of the book was just kind of ok.
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from Edelweiss

There was a lot of potential here but it really just needed to be about twice as long as it actually was. I loved the art style and character designs and the concept was really good as well, but I feel like I almost didn't know what was supposed to be happening most of the time until I read the author's note at the end.
Rachel
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nate
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Visually staggering from beginning to end with a truly original color palate but it's a slight read without much story. I know this is in the tradition of stuff like 30 Days of Night but ultimately I just wanted a little more to go with this great art and concept.
Theediscerning
Sep 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
Yeesh, I really didn't take to this messy vampire story at all. Indulgently bizarre styling comes with an excessively short run-time (the creators' notes on the bonus pages almost taking as long as the rest of this thin book), but it still nearly got ditched. So, bravura, or just ugly? Just hope you can see enough of a preview, or that the store has an unsealed copy, before any cash is parted with.
Ed Erwin
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
Short and fun.
Stephanie
Oct 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I found the story a bit lackluster but the art and colour are amazing. I really enjoyed reading the artists comments on how the art was done. I read this on a tablet so the effect was a bit lost; Id love to see this in paper form.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Rachel
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
I had such high hopes...Henderson's artwork was great, but I felt the story was very lacking.
RG
Oct 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Too short
Carol Tilley
Oct 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
Liked the art and the essays but the story didn't gel for me.
Maggie
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
I received an advance copy of this work from Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review.

Vampires are objectively the best kind of monster.

There, I said it. No one can top vampires in my book - not zombies, not the Wolfman, not even the eerie, Millicent Patrick-designed Creature from the Black Lagoon. Vampires are just quintessentially unsettling, a literal living embodiment of death that have haunted popular culture since the publication of Dracula in 1897. Theyve popped up everywhere from
Shaun Stanley
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Dracula, Motherf*cker! is a graphic novel written by Alex de Campi with art by Erica Henderson.the story is set in a 1974 Hollywood where an ageling Hollwood starlet has died. A crime scene photographer catches proof something isn't right, but will he survive to tell his story?

The story has an incredible premise but ultimately doesn't offer much. It is told in a pulp-like narrative that is extremely fast moving with little time explaining any motives. The art is great though. It has a modern pop
Judah Radd
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: image-comics
I had the privilege of reading this unreleased graphic novel in advance. It was extraordinarily badass.

Check out the YouTube review here https://youtu.be/Zo13R0uqKk0

(If you enjoy us, please like and subscribe!)
millie
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I did not think I was going to love this as much as I did but it was a really fun time tbh. The story is not strong, but that is not the point, and the writing and art is absolutely fantastic.
Léon Othenin-Girard
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautiful art, a hell of a page-turner (though the final act was missing a little something in setup, even if it was really cool), and vampires. Love it
jacobi
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars just for the nonhuman vampire designs
Bonnie
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
A gorgeous take on Dracula. I loved the art (the cover especially) and the modern take on the old classic.
Sean Dolan
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A gorgeous book with such a dark, strong style to make Dracula a true monster.
Caitlin
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: librarycon-live
The art in this was incredible. There's not all that much story, but what there is is engaging. Honestly I just wish it were longer. I'd love to see more of well, all of it.
Alex Sarll
A lurid reworking set in seventies LA, the story's unpleasantness brought out in a wash of unhealthy colours (there's deliberately no hint of natural daylight once in the book). The Brides come to the fore, with Dracula himself an almost abstract force of hunger, somewhere between a Lovecraftian elder god and Hellsing's Alucard when he drops the veneer; de Campi's interest here is largely in the devil's bargain made by the women who yoke themselves to the worst of men, with Melania Trump ...more
Jess
Oct 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Art: 10/10
Story: 5/10

I find it difficult to give an overall rating to graphic novels because of their unbreakable marriage of story and art. One can be lacking, while the other exceptional, but it ultimately comes down to the story at its core for me.

While Erica Hendersons art in this book is a joy to take in and absorb, I wish the story went a bit more in depth on The Brides. Really, that may be my one gripe with this novel. The concept of a Gothic horror set in LA with ancient vampires is
Adriana
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First of all, the vast majority of my appreciation for this book comes from how awesome the art is and the magic that Erica Henderson achieves with color. Everything from the composition full of double spreads to the choice of colors is a master class in telling a story visually. Even the character designs, though a bit vague at times, play a part in telling the story. Particularly the way in which de Campi and Henderson chose to present Dracula as a proper nightmare creature instead of a ...more
Brian
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Erica Hendersons art was amazing and gave a very distinct feel. The premise was also intriguing. Sadly, the pacing was wonky. It was very short, and not much was conveyed. Maybe thats what the goal was, but I feel like the themes were more thoroughly explored in de Campis screed in the back of the book than in the story itself. If nothing else, that was annoying, as the creative work should be able to function without a tedious essay tacked on to explain it.

The art was cool, and I really liked
Bernie Gourley
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This short story in graphic novelized form imagines a Dracula who has been trapped in his coffin since the post-Bram Stoker story time period coming back into action in 1970s Los Angeles. (While there is a nod to the Bram Stoker novel in starting the story in late-1890s Central / Eastern Europe, the book doesnt present itself as a sequel -- and purposefully tries to avoid some of the old [and new] vampire clichés.) The book taps into the feel of 1970s noir crime drama. The main character, Quincy ...more
Kevin L
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Brilliant art and color, a bit light on actual story. Very much worth your time, especially the notes at the end by de Campi and Henderson.
Amanda
Oct 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Four stars for Henderson's art, which evokes the luridness of a 1970s exploitation film, and one star for de Campi's story, which is thinner than single-ply toilet paper.

Received via Edelweiss.
Femme Power Comix
Oct 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Knowing the creative team and the subject matter, I never would have predicted anything less than a 5 star review.
I will say the art is exceptional, but the story just did not deliver in the same way. There was virtually no character development, and the story moves at a very swift pace, sweeping you along before you can even ask yourself whats going on. This might be a purposeful air of mystery, but given how short the book is and how much of the story felt omitted, I genuinely checked to see
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ice Cream Man Volume 5: Other Confections
  • Planet Paradise
  • Maids
  • Killadelphia, Vol. 1: Sins of the Father
  • Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen: Who Killed Jimmy Olsen?
  • Cruel Summer