Start by marking “Sea Star Summer” as Want to Read:
Sea Star Summer

Sea Star Summer

All sixteen-year-old Naomi wants to do over December is read books and avoid other people. Jeffreys Bay promises the perfect drama-free holiday. But when she encounters the strange and imaginative Elize on the beach, everything changes.

Elize, however, isn't the first to notice the awkward, red-haired newcomer and soon Naomi finds herself caught between a blue-eyed local su
Paperback, First, 160 pages
Published April 20th 2020 by Human & Rousseau

To ask other readers questions about Sea Star Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Star Summer

Start your review of Sea Star Summer
Ruby Rae Reads
Jun 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Big thanks to the author and NB Publishers for sending this my way and having me on the blog tour.

YAY FOR SOUTH AFRICAN QUEER REP!!

I read this book mainly in one sitting and it was so refreshing. I loved seeing places I'd visited through the pages of a book. I thought the writing style was really lovely and the descriptions were so spot on.

And the romance? SO ADORABLE. I was very much rooting for them. We're here for the sapphics!! They truly did have such a wonderful relationship <3

My only iss
Jayne Bauling
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m sure I’ve said it before: Sally Partridge gets better with every novel. This is her best yet, a beautiful, sensitive romance, tender and truthful.
I liked that the whole is from Naomi’s point of view, so that free-spirited Elize never quite loses the element of mystery that so attracts Naomi. Both characters are beautifully developed, and the other characters—Naomi’s parents, entitled surfer Daniel, and moody Marius—are real and believable, essential to Naomi’s journey.
Jeffreys Bay is so vivi
Nerine Dorman
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sea Star Summer by Sally Partridge is the summer vacation book I didn't realise I needed as a diversion from all the dross in my current days. Maybe it's because I grew up in a seaside town, but the ocean has special meaning for me, and Sally *gets* what this is like. Also, her love for the little South African resort town of Jeffrey's Bay, with its ephemeral summer population, shines through. Now I'd love to go visit just to see it for myself.

We meet sixteen-year-old Naomi who is awkward as all
Karina Szczurek
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A story of self-discovery that will make you remember your first love and long for the sea. Great, heart-warming read.
Robyn
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
You can read my full review on my blog www.thebookclubbog.co.za. ...more
Mr Pink ink
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"But I suppose that's what they consider normal. What everyone considers normal."

Sea Star Summer has incredibly well-written characters, a beautiful setting based on a real South African holiday place, that will sweep you away from the here and now. Beautifully written, Sally's style smooth and rather elegant, this book also addresses real issues relevant to the youth, especially acceptance and conformity.

Sea Star Summer is an often humorous coming of age story and an almost perfect summer rom
Charles Siboto
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sea Star Summer is the sort of YA novel you pick up and read in one sitting and when you’re done you feel a bit sad that the adventure is over. It feels like coming to the end of a really good December school holiday and having to come to terms with going back to normal life. Sally Partridge’s writing in this book is, for the lack of a better word, delicious. She manages to tackle surprisingly heavy and sensitive issues in a graceful manner that allows the reader to grapple with them without fee ...more
Hecate
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this in a single sitting - perfect "first love" story, bittersweet, tender, fresh. The setting - the small surfing town of Jeffrey's Bay - is so beautifully realised, it almost becomes a character. Partridge writes YA so effortlessly, with such a pitch-perfect ear, it's hard to remember that she works extremely hard at crafting her novels. A story that flows this smoothly takes real skill. Also wonderful to see feminist and queer issues seamlessly taking centre stage in the plot. I think ...more
The Mostly Bookish Blog
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
So, there's alot to love about this book. The atmosphere is amazingly descriptive- complimented by the simplistic writing style. It gave the book an amazing feel, and I'll probably reread it soon😅
I also really liked the characters, even though some characters felt flat.

Overall I'd highly recommend you to read this- ...I mean, it's a South African sapphic/queer love story 👀 What more do you want? 🙆🏽‍♂️

TW⚠️: Attempted Sexual Assault; Getting Outed.
Joha Van
Jul 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Firstly, wish I had Naomi's ability to remember quotes.

A very necessary book in South African YA. Partridge has provided us with a beautiful F/F romance, filled with whimsy and the joy of summer. An immersive experience of Jeffrey's Bay, I'm even more eager to visit it now!
Cindi Page
is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2020
justinereads
Nov 07, 2020

• The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3)
  • Black Chalk
  • When the Moon Was Ours
  • Worlds' End (The Sandman, #8)
  • The Kindly Ones (The Sandman, #9)
  • The Hydrogen Sonata (Culture #10)
  • Charlotte
  • So You Want to Talk About Race
  • The Sun Sister (The Seven Sisters, #6)
  • Honeydukes: A Scratch & Sniff Adventure (Harry Potter)
  • Afterland
  • Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird)
  • If We Were Villains