Start by marking “The Last Exit” as Want to Read:
The Last Exit

The Last Exit

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  8 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Perfect for fans of Tom Sweterlitsch's The Gone World . In this thrilling futuristic novel, the secret to eternal life is closely guarded by people who will do anything to protect it -- even if it means destroying everything in their path.

Set in Washington D.C. 20 years from now, climate change has hit hard, fires are burning, unemployment is high, and co
Published January 12th 2021 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about The Last Exit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Exit

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Last Exit
Lukasz
Nov 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, netgalley, sci-fi
Review to come but it's neat. ...more
AC
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Last Exit features two main characters:on is Jen Lu, a cop in a near-future earth where climate change has ravaged the planet and the Russians appear to have taken over DC(?) but we still have a President and Vice resident. The other is Chandler, an AI implant in Lu's head, who only "lives" for five years.

The world of this future has those in their late 40s and early 50s having a good chance of contracting mad cow disease (bovine spongiform encephalopathy, in this work, changed slightly to
Roger Hyttinen
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Last Exit is a dystopian sci-fi crime novel that follows Jen Lu, a detective in the Elder Abuse Unit, and Chandler, a SIM implant that is embedded in her brain. Her interaction with Chandler was kind of akin to having a conversation with a voice inside your head — although Chandler’s personality is that of a snarky, tough guy, which I found quite amusing. I immensely enjoyed the banter between Chandler and Jen and loved seeing Chandler’s personality develop throughout the pages.

In this world
Kathy
Jan 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Last Exit by Michael Kaufman is an imaginative sci-fi mystery set in the future.

With an AI brain implant named Chandler, Jen Lu is a detective with the DC Metro's Elder Abuse Unit.  Elder abuse has become a serious issue because parents must "exit" when they turn 65 in order to let their children receive the "Timeless" treatment that will save them from a rapid onset spongiform encephalitis. If they do not exit, their children will die a horrific death. Jen has heard mention of "Eden" which
Trijntje
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the second fantasy book I've read recently set in the not-terribly-distant future, with lots of adjustments for what that future might look like.
In this future, climate change is accepted and its effects are woven into everyday life, which is an interesting take: at some point we're all going to have to live with it, and this is a glimpse of what that future looks like - when it's simply accepted that there is no more green grass in public spaces, the temperature in Washington DC is in
Maggie Holmes
Dec 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is a fast read with interesting characters. However, it really reads like a movie script. Lots of action, descriptions of characters, tension. It wraps up a little too neatly, although the climate has already been destroyed so I'm not sure anyone will really live very long. I would have thought DC would be underwater by now.
There isn't enough depth to make it good for a book discussion, or for a reread. It would be a good audiobook with the two voices of Jen and Chandler.
Supposedly th
Paul
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The plot and many aspects of this tale feel quite timely in the fall of 2020. I liked this scifi story because of the characters, the engaging plot, and the somewhat realistic future portrayed. I don't know if this could be considered a thriller, but it does contain a mystery. With good tech and good writing, many scifi fans will probably like this one.

Thanks very much for the ARC for review!!
Jaymie
Jan 11, 2021 added it
Shelves: dnf-2021
I wanted to like this. I wanted it to be like Lock In (Scalzi) with the law enforcement mystery AND the science fiction pieces. But it just didn't click for me. DNF 30%. ...more
Faith
Sharon Angle-boyer
Donell
Yoch
Nov 20, 2020

• The Postscript Murders (Harbinder Kaur #2)
  • The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (Miss Marple, #9)
  • Why the Innocent Plead Guilty and the Guilty Go Free: And Other Paradoxes of Our Broken Legal System
  • Third Girl (Hercule Poirot, #38)
  • Christmas Cocoa Murder
  • We Could Be Heroes
  • Some Monsters Never Die (Monsters and Mayhem #1)
  • Death in the Diamond Lane
  • The Question of the Missing Head (An Asperger’s Mystery, #1)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • Pietr the Latvian (Maigret #1)
  • The Loosening Skin
  • Monstress Book One
  • Hairspray and Switchblades
  • Generation Loss (Cass Neary, #1)
  • Available Dark (Cass Neary, #2)
  • The Lesser Dead
  • Better Have Heart (Harrison Campus, #2)