Start by marking “The Twelve Kingdoms: The Vast Spread of the Seas (The Twelve Kingdoms, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Kingdoms: The Vast Spread of the Seas (The Twelve Kingdoms, #3)

The Twelve Kingdoms: The Vast Spread of the Seas (The Twelve Kingdoms (7 books edition) #3)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  933 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
When only an eggfruit, the kirin of the En Kingdom, Rokuta, was transported to Japan for his own protection. But he was abandoned soon after birth by his surrogate parents, left to fend for himself in the mountains. It just so happened that at the same time, a young boy in the En Kingdom named Koya was also abandoned by his own parents, after which he was raised by demon b ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by TokyoPop (first published June 5th 1994)

S.Baqer Al-Meshqab
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Vast Spread of Seas: Book Three of The Twelve Kingdom Series.

After the telling the story of the Kirin of the Kingdom of Tai, Ono covers in her third book the tale of Enki of the Kingdom of En. I had some worries before starting this book, despite being a book one of my favorite series, for The Vast Spread of Seas and its predecessor; Sea of Wind, both deal with two characters of the same nature who share, more or less, the same history. Both Kirin were born in a world they didn't belong to,
Three dudes have bummers of childhoods. THEN WORLDS COLLIDE and by "WORLDS" I mean "DUDES." And by "COLLIDE" I mean "INTERACT EMOTIONALLY AND POLITICALLY ACCORDING TO THEIR OWN DISPARATE MOTIVATIONS."

Number Three has been the most political so far. We know the Ever-King of En and his kirin Enki from the first book and this is the story of how they got started. Also, there's a whacked-out kid with a demon who just wants some human acceptance. He's a pretty big plot point, and I'm sure if I think
Jamie
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
A great continuation to the series. Once again, the author gives us the story of another Kingdom. We get to return to En, which was introduced to us in the first book. We reunite with Enki and the King, Shoryu.
This book focuses on how the two met, and how the prosperous rule under them began. We also get some great personal backrounds on each. Once again the author has done a wonderful job creating characters personalities, story line, and history. This story has yet to disappoint and while its
machinaheart
[shamelessly stealing the form of this review from Hannah]

In Short: I loved it. Mainly because of Enki, but there were many other things that made me truly enjoy this book!

[slight spoilers, nothing specific]
In Detail:

THE MAIN CHARACTERS which I roughly identify as Enki/Rokuta and Shoryu/Naotaka are depicted wonderfully. Especially Shoryu's characterization was stunningly done, slow and barely scratching at the surface of his character at times, but in the end it became an in-depth insight int
Maya
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Vast Spread of the Seas is the third book in the Twelve Kingdoms series, but chronologically it takes place before the first and second novel and can also be read as a stand-alone.

This time the story concerns the kingdom of En. Where book 1 was structured mostly like a standard epic quest fantasy and book 2 focused on the mythology, The Vast Spread of the Seas is very much a political fantasy. We witness the first years of Shoryu's reign and the development of his relationship with Rokuta, w
Trang
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Nếu phải liệt kê nhân vật nữ chính yêu thích của mình trong những truyện đọc gần đây (tất nhiên nhân vật nữ trong đó phải là trung tâm nữa) thì phải kể đến Hoàng Tử Hà trong bộ Trâm do Nhã Nam xuất bản vừa ra đến tập 3 mà mình chưa có tiền mua ;D và thứ 2 là bạn nữ chính Nakajima Youko trong series Thập nhị quốc ký này. Truyện và anime của Thập nhị quốc thì đã nghe danh từ mấy năm trước nhưng chỉ vì mỗi lần search thử lại thấy ngay hình bạn chính Youko chình ình giữa một đám trai đẹp mà bỏ cuộc ...more
K.
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As opposed to the previous two books which were more fish-out-of-water stories (almost to a fault in the second book), this entry puts us right in the middle of things.

As a result, the story flows much better here, and I felt as though I were actually seeing events happen instead of being told about them (again, unlike in that second book).

The tone/mood here also seemed a bit darker and more serious.

The series definitely feels to be picking up at this point.

A shame that my library doesn't carry
PandaRanda
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, books-i-own
Oh how I adore Shoryu! Probably my favorite type of character: carefree fool-cum-strategic mastermind! I just love how almost everyone was fooled by his seemingly nonchalant attitude to everything. Oh but not I! I knew Shoryu had this in the bag, of course! He's the freaking Ever-King of En, duh!

Haha jokes aside, not only is this novel a hefty bite of delicious political intrigue, (which I adore), it gives you some insight into just how Shoryu and Rokuta were able to build up the magnificent Ki
Bill Johnston
Mar 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: japan

While the second and this third aren't as good as the first book of Twelve Kingdoms, its still a page-turner. This book takes place 500 years before the first novel, so there aren't many characters in common, and certainly no Youko.

I will continue buying and reading these even at the lethargic pace they're released, and even though the terms "fantasy" and "series" tend to turn me off.
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
1 page a day is all I'm allotting myself with this book, and the books that follow. They are that special to me. There are few books that have ever had the effect of bringing true tears to my eyes as the previous 2 did. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys anime and manga.
Melissa
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: translated
It was nice to read the story behind the Ever-King and Enki since in the previous books we've only seen them as rulers of the prosperous nation that En has become 400(?) years later.
Kristyn
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
In The Twelve Kingdoms anime, Enki (Rokuta) was my favorite character, but we only see a small piece of his story. So I was delighted when I found a whole novel written about him the lively, insolent, kind-hearted Kirin.
The novel showed his and his King's development in his reign's early years, and how Rokuta grew to understand the King, who acted like an irresponsible idiot, but knew exactly what he was doing. After reading this, I understand the relationship of mutual respect and annoyance, a
s
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
20171111

#東の海神西の滄海 #十二国記 #小野不由美 さん #読了

延麒六太と延王尚隆のお話。まわりの官があぁ!もぅ!!というのが随所に出てきてクスリとしてしまう。毛旋の「済みません!おれ、大司馬を拝命してしまいました!」のところとか。延王みたいな上司の下で働いてみたい。色々大変だろうけど。
Rebecca
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, non-earth
Cornerofmadness
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Aelvana
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Two worlds, two wars, and two young boys abandoned to die. Rokuta takes his place as the kirin of En, but he can never forget the war that drove his parents to abandon him. Koya is saved by a demon after his mother abandons him, but that same demon alienates him from everyone else. When the kingdom of En teeters on the bring of war, these two young men hold the power to save the country or destroy it.

This novel was the source of two arcs in the anime, which split out the two stories intertwined
Jasper
Sep 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-novel
Third Book of the Series. Decent back story.

Fuyumi Ono has created this exciting and fantastical world of the Twelve Kingdoms. "The Vast Spread of Seas" is the third book in the series.
In the main story Rokuta, the Taiho of the kingdom of En, is captured and held prisoner by a man wanting to usurp Shoryu, king of En. The book also tells the story of how Rokuta reluctantly but eventually chooses Shoryu as the next king of En.
As with the first two books, there are 3-5 drawings scattered through t
Pygmy
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, translated
Absolutely fabulous. Although the skinnest of the Twelve Kingdoms books by far, it packs in just as much story, perhaps because it no longer needs to explain as much of the world as in previous volumes. The focus is several hundred (at least) years prior to the first volume, concerning the affairs of the Kingdom of En, its kirin, and its king. Shoryuu and Enki are by far my most favorite characters from Twelve Kingdoms, and the author describes their lively personalities and exploits with just e ...more
Verbera Rules
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the anime, fans of fantasy
Lym
Mar 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Let me first say that I was glad to see some of the issues I've had with the second book addressed here in the third, mostly the infallibility of the king-choosing kirin. But even aside from that, I loved the additional worldbuilding details (insights into the working of the kingdom of En, what the ministers do etc) and most of all the characters. Enki/Rokuta and Shoryu/Naotaka are of course the ones who stand out the most and I love both their development (Rokuta's) and the insight into their c ...more
Janni  "Gulde"
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
De er lidt svære at sætte sig ind i i starten, "De 12 kongedømmer"-bøgerne altså - særligt den første del af den første er meget forvirrende. Men derefter kommer man hurtigt ind i verdensordenen (måske på nær alle rangordnerne og størrelserne, de er forvirrende) og man kommer hurtigt til at holde af den. Nu hvor jeg har nået enden af de dansk oversatte bøger (for jeg mener ikke der er flere endnu) er jeg helt trist, for så gode er mine japanske sprogkundskaber og læsekundskaber ikke at jeg kan l ...more
Melissa
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: light-novel, isekai
The most difficult and most expensive one in the series to get my hands on is also my least favorite.

We get to see En before it was the En of the other books. And...that is kinda interesting. But the switching back and forth from the main story to the past didn't really work for me. And it ended up feeling rather abrupt.

The story itself wasn't nearly as nerve racking as the other books. And while the focus was on personal growth it felt like a long process to get to the end for me.

Still a sol
Pauline
Un peu long à se mettre en route... mais arrivé à peu près à la moitié (bon il faut déjà y arriver), l'histoire s'accélère et devient vraiment très intéressante. J'ai particulièrement aimé certaines scènes de la fin.

Bon c'est vrai que j'aime bien le roi de En et Rokuta, donc le fait que ce tome soit centré sur eux ne m'a pas dérangé du tout. En contrepartie je trouve que le roi passe pour un idiot un peu trop longtemps. On sait déjà ce qu'est devenu le royaume de En, alors il ne doit pas être s
Arito Sato
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazonでは既に講談社のものはないが、新潮文庫のものがある。表紙の絵もほぼ同じことから、出版社が新潮文庫に変更されたのかもしれない。

Jonathan Lupa
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A more political book than the previous two, but very enjoyable nonetheless. Follows some of the early exploits of Enki and the Everking.

All of these books take different looks at this wonderful universe that Fuyumi Ono created, and flesh the painting out around the edges without telling a front to back narrative. Sometimes, I would probably look askance at such story telling, but it really has been working in this series.

Unfortunately, I'm approaching the last of the translated books.
planetkimi
Jun 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
I loved the first two books in the series, but I wasn't so fond of this one. Too much of a focus on bureaucracy and tactics, I think. I expected to like it a great deal more since the King of En is one of my favorite characters in the anime series. Maybe the book just didn't live up to my inflated expectations. ;)
aaron
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
another great addition into the twelve kingdoms series by fuyumi ono. this one focuses on the kingdom of en and the kirin rokuta and the king shoryu. it follows rokuta as he is kidnapped by an insurgent regent and his country. rokuta goes through a great change as he realizes that a country needs a leader if it is to thrive and that just maybe the man he chose is the correct one for the job.
Kristen Sharpe
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Having previously watched the "Twelve Kingdoms" anime and loved the characters of Shoryu and Rokuta, I was eagerly awaiting this installment of the original novels. It didn't disappoint. It is short, but wholly enjoyable.
Catherine
May 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-reads
As with volume 2, this follows the cartoon pretty closely, although on the cartoon the story is split up with part during Yoko's story and part later. What I'm really waiting for is the conclusion of Taiki's story. Maybe that will be in volume 3?
Erika RS
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the third of the novels in the Twelve Kingdoms series. Like the first two, this volume overlaps with the anime. In The Vast Spread of the Sea we get to see a story of the early days Shoryu's reign. A very entertaining addition to the series.
  • Mirror Sword and Shadow Prince (Tales of the Magatama, #2)
  • Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness (Moribito, #2)
  • Crest of the Stars 1: Princess of the Empire (Seikai no Monshou, #1)
  • Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 04
  • The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #4)
  • Kieli, Volume 1: The Dead Sleep in the Wilderness
  • The Heavenward Path (Mitsuko, #2)
  • Trinity Blood: Reborn on the Mars, Volume 3: Empress of the Night
  • One Night Stand (Full Metal Panic! #2)
  • The Book of Heroes
  • Calling You
  • Zaregoto 1: Book 1: The Kubikiri Cycle
  • バッカーノ!The Rolling Bootlegs (Baccano!, #1)
  • Book Girl and the Corrupted Angel (light novel)
Kanji Name: 小野 不由美.

Fuyumi Ono (小野 不由美, Ono Fuyumi) is a Japanese novelist who is best known for writing the Twelve Kingdoms (十二国記, Juuni Kokuki) series, on which a popular anime is based. Her name after marriage is Fuyumi Uchida (内田不由美, Uchida Fuyumi), but she writes under her maiden name.

Ono was born in Nakatsu, Ōita, Kyūshū in 1960. She graduated from Ōtani University in Kyōto with a degree in B
More about Fuyumi Ono...

The Twelve Kingdoms (7 books edition) (7 books)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow (The Twelve Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Wind (The Twelve Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Skies of Dawn (The Twelve Kingdoms, #4)
  • Les ailes du destin (Les 12 Royaumes, #8)
  • 黄昏の岸 暁の天 [Tasogare no Kishi, Akatsuki no Sora]
  • Le royaume de l'idéal (Les 12 Royaumes, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Palaces are built on the people's bones. To tell the truth, the masses would be better off without kingdoms, which is why it takes a gifted ruler to tell just the right lies so they never realize it.” 9 likes
“People will live their lives with or without a king to command them. It is the king who cannot live without his people.” 9 likes