Start by marking “After Sundown” as Want to Read:
After Sundown

After Sundown

This new anthology contains 20 original horror stories, 16 of which have been commissioned from some of the top names in the genre, and 4 of which have been selected from the 100s of stories sent to Flame Tree during a 2-week open submissions window. It is the first of what will hopefully become an annual, non-themed horror anthology of entirely original stories, showcasin ...more
Published October 20th 2020 by Flame Tree Press

To ask other readers questions about After Sundown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Sundown

Start your review of After Sundown
Marianne
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After Sundown is a collection of twenty horror short stories edited by Mark Morris. The contributors are published authors.

BUTTERFLY ISLAND (C.J.Tudor) is set in a post-viral world and features flesh-eating butterflies, a psychotic maniac, mines and some greedy, gun-happy opportunists. 4/5
RESEARCH (Tim Lebbon) an author ends up inside a plot that could easily be his own. 5/5
SWANSKIN (Alison Littlewood) a fishing town with wintering swans, beautiful women and cruel men. 4/5
THAT’S THE SPIRIT (Sara
Vonda
Oct 07, 2020 rated it liked it
20 short stories that are supposed to be horror from well known and arising literary stars. It appears this is going to be a yearly collection, I would look forward to it if they put true horror stories in it. These were mostly sci-fi and dystopian style stories. Mediocre stories...
Christina
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of horror stories from horror industry-leading publisher Flame Tree Press. Unlike many short story collections, this one has very consistently good stories across the board. There were a few that “aren’t my thing” horror-wise, but all are very well-written and scary. My favorite was the CJ Tudor story about Butterfly Island that kicks off the book. I was sorry this story had to end when it did and would happily have read a whole book of it. Same thing with Swanskin. This book is ...more
Lukasz
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, anthology, 2020
With this anthology, Morris proves he has an eye for quality and his finger on the pulse of the horror genre. He has assembled a stellar line-up of some of the top names in the genre, as well as four new authors. After Sundown contains 20 original horror stories. While, officially, there's no common theme to the stories, I've found one. Most of them are gripping from the get-go.

I especially liked the opening story Butterfly Island by C.J. Tudor – it's fast, furious, and uncompromising. Set in t
Irene
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a long time lover of short horror stories I'm smiling like a crazed Jack O'lantern at the thought of Flame Tree Press putting out an annual anthology. I would have been happier if it was Halloween themed but that did not stop me from enjoying what will hopefully become a yearly tradition.

The first story to totally blow me away was IT DOESN’T FEEL RIGHT by Michael Marshall Smith. Everyone has something that particularly creeps them out. For me it's always been stories about children. You just
Juli
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
October is the perfect time to publish an anthology of horror stories! I decided to read this one for review for several reasons: I have enjoyed many horror novels published by Flame Tree Press; I love horror short story collections; and, 16 of these stories are by published authors I am familiar with and four of them were chosen from submissions sent to FTP. I'm always up for reading something by new-to-me authors!

Any time a reader delves into a collection of 20 stories there will be tales the
Stephanie (That's What She Read)
What a great anthology! The lack of categorization was great in that I had no clue what the next story would hold for me, as I kept reading. I loved: Butterfly Island by CJ Tudor, Swanskin by Alison Littlewood, That's the Spirit by Sarah Lotz, The Importance of Oral Hygiene and Alice's Rebellion by John Langan. There's something in here for every reader.
 Reading Reindeer Emigrates To Pluto
What a collection is this: the first "Anthology of New Best Short Stories," a non-themed Anthology of Horror from Flame Tree Press, and oh! the authors included!

"Butterfly Island " by C. J. Tudor: Think Pandemic. Think 2020. Think "Survivor " without camerapersons or first aid. Think stranded on a jungle island with psychosis. Think "GET ME OUT OF HERE!!"

"Research" by Tim Lebbon: Obviously, the Misery-trope has not been overdone. This writer's neighbors are not exactly fans....but oh my are they
Lisa
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
Thanks to Flame Tree Press, Mark Morris "editor" and Netgalley .
There were quite a few storytellers here. That's why I chose this anthology.
The truth is that sometimes people who write stories need to be checked. That is what an editor does.? I'm honestly not sure. I just believe that there should be checks and balances.
Morris chose some fine author's. What he didn't choose was any single one of their fine stories!
Sorry, dude. You suck.
Neha Singh
A collection of 20 short horror stories - After Sundown, is written by some of the great names in the horror genres! As is the case with most of anthologies, it was all over the place for me. None of the story was mind blowing, but I did like few of them. Few of my favourites were Creeping Ivy, It doesn't feel right, The Importance of Oral Hygiene & Murder Box. The rest were ether underdeveloped or not good at all.

Overall, It was underwhelming but there were few hidden gems and few I would prefe
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
After Sundown is a fantastic collection of short stories from established authors and new talent.

Each story was gripping in their own unique way, no story felt the same or was on the same theme. I was really kept on my toes while reading these stories!
There were, of course, a few standouts:

Swanskin by Alison Littlewood. A tale in which swans have their skins stolen and they have to stay in human form, serving their husbands. There was just something so ethereal about this story, and the imagery
Dawn
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
If you're into binge-reading short stories and horror, then this is the perfect collection for you. Each story is delicately crafted to ensure top grades for the "jumping-at-the-slightest-sound" factor. There is some truly brilliant writing going on here. There are a few new names to add to my list of authors that I want to read more of. A fine collection of 20 spine-tingling shivers!

My thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley. This review was written voluntarily and is entirely my own, un
Anne
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Solid anthology of 20 horror stories. All kinds of subgenres are represented, so there's something in it for everyone. The average of all my individual ratings is 3.05 stars, but I'm adding half a bonus star because some of the stories in this collection will really stick with me. I love discovering new authors throughout anthologies. Catriona Ward, Elana Gomel and Robert Shearman are now high on my list of authors to try out.

My individual ratings and scribblings:

Butterfly Island by C.J. Tudor

Inkslinger
After Sundown edited by Mark Morris and including Ramsey Campbell

ARC provided by Flame Tree Press and Mark Morris via Random Things Tours. All opinions are mine and freely given.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | BookBub

10-21: 'After Sundown,' edited by Mark Morris, is a new horror anthology out on Flame Tree Press.

Specifically in the horror field, I've always been a big fan of anthologies. Over the years, I've discovered some of my favorite horror writers this way because they have a limited time to hook me and deliver and I've found if they can do tha
Rachel Bridgeman
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spooktober
From the first story to the last, there is a thread of continuity that joins very, very different stories-it reads like a dream with not one dud note to be found. The impression that is received after this very satisfied reader finished it, is that the editor, Mark, chose each story with extreme care and then used optimum placing to ensure a smooth transition between them.

Moving from body based horror, to apocalyptic terror, 19th century chills to subtle commentary on modern parenting that will
Angela Watt
Oct 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020

After Sundown is an anthology of 20 stories in the horror genre. Flame Tree Press hopes this open submission process mixing established and new authors will be an annual event.

There's a good selection of stories in this collection, and it was fun to dip into these tales during October. As with most story collections, there are some you love and others that don't do it for you, but I'm sure there's something for everyone in here. Horror can be interpreted in many different ways. What sca
Pamela Scott

I usually read a lot of short fiction but have neglected this genre recently. I also love horror fiction. So After Sundown came along at the perfect time. I’ve read other horror fiction by the publisher and have generally been impressed so I was looking forward to this and had high hopes for the collection. There’s a risk with collections featuring multiple authors that you get one or two duds that spoil the whole collection. Thankfully that wasn’t the cas
Jennifer Bourque
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

I received a copy of "After Sundown" from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review and I absolutely loved this book. It offers readers twenty unique horror and science fiction short stories from some of the best authors in the genres including Tim Lebbon, author of "The Silence", and Laura Purcell, author of "The Silent Companions" just to name a few.

The book caught my attention from the start and kept me intrigued until the very last page. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down
David Samuels
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a solid collection. Although some of the stories ended a little abruptly. Was also expecting a lot from Catriona Ward, given her upcoming Stephen-King-endorsed novel, but wound up disappointed from this particular short.

Some of my favorites were by Grady Hendrix, Angela Slatter, Laura Purcell, and Alison Littlewood
Kayleigh (Hedwigsbooks)
Great fun, especially impressed with the inclusion of Stephen Volk of Ghostwatch fame.

Blog tour and review here on the blog:
April Forsythe
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
After Sundown is an entertaining collection of short stories that frighten and entertain. There are familiar elements of horror, throughout, but the originality is what makes most of these stories entertaining. There are many standouts.

My favorite stories In After Sundown are: Swanskin, Mine Seven, Last Rites for the Fourth World, Murder Board, and Branch Line. The most beautiful story is Swanskin. Alison Littlewood’s story about witchcraft is very melodic and haunting. Murder Board is Grady Hen
Syeda Sumayya Tariq
This is an anthology of 20 horror shorts, including some famous names too. I’m a sucker for short stories and this one lived quite up to the expectations. What I really liked was how out of the box some of these ideas were, very original and a treat to read, but most of them dealing with the ideas of the end of the world and apocalypse, making it a perfect read for this year, lol.

Some of these were really great, others not so much and I kinda struggled with them, but that said, every story tops
Stephen Bacon
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve long been a fan of horror fiction, especially of the novella and short story and length, which seems ideally suited to the genre. As a child I gravitated from the popular Three Investigators mysteries in my local library - created by American author Robert Arthur and featuring the real-life film director Alfred Hitchcock as a character – through name association towards the Alfred Hitchcock anthologies, also edited by Robert Arthur. These books, most of which possessed evocative titles, wer ...more
Aiden Merchant
Aug 09, 2020 rated it liked it
(My score has been rounded up for Goodreads)

I want to preface this review by saying I love Flame Tree and the way they do things. I have a large stack of their books on my shelf, and I don’t see my love for those red spines fading any time soon. This opinion is my own and has not been influenced by the publisher doing anything for me.

My love in Flame Tree being noted, I was very disappointed with After Sundown, the first volume in a new (hopeful) annual anthology of horror. Featuring twenty st
The Book Gawdess
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a free advance reader's copy in exchange for my honest review...

After Sundown is an anthology of 20 stories which cannot be read after sundown. Some of these stories were more sci-fi and fantasy than horror. However, they were quite well-written.
From the first story, I was hooked. My only problem with it was that I would have loved to find out what happened next. I finished that story wondering if their situation got any better or worse.
Swanskin by Alison Littlewood was my favorite
Alyson Rhodes
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a horror anthology from indie press, Flame Tree, with some big hitters involved - C J Tudor, Alison Littlewood, 'The British King of Horror' -Mr Ramsey Campbell, Laura Purcell and Stephen Volk (famous for GhostWatch) and those are just a taster of the authors who've contributed.
So there is something here for pretty much every reader's horror tastes, and the spectrum on offer in terms of content is broad, ranging from more thriller to supernatural to evil fairies, mediums to murder, Russi
Chad Guarino
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars.

After Sundown is a collection of horror short stories made possible by Flame Tree Press. It collects 20 stories with a focus on new/emerging talent (four of the stories were found by using an open submission format). While there are some familiar names on this list (Ramsey Campbell for one), it is an admirable goal to showcase newer talent in such an open ended and flexible genre. Taken as a collection, it's a bit of an uneven ride. Some stories are fantastic throughout, if a bit deri
Denice Langley
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I always have at least one book of anthologies that I'm actively reading open next to the bed. The stories are short enough that I can finish them in an evening's reading or even less and it allows me to find more authors to follow....as if my TBR pile is not already very long. This book of short stories is a little different from the usual format as there is no "theme". Just a group of excellent writers allowed to flex their story telling skills in such a manner that will scare you into NOT rea ...more
 Martin
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a treat. Usually in an anthology I only find only a couple of good stories here and there but in this one all the short stories are worth your time, especially those written by Sarah Lotz, Michael Marshall Smith, Ramsey Campbell and Grady Hendrix. Very chilling tales. Yes, I’ll even go and say that AFTER SUNDOWN is by far my favorite read this year. I'm really impressed, you guys. My thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for this ARC.
amanda
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
She is the weed that is plucked and returns each year; she is the root too deep to pull out.
I cut her down. I did.
Yet her hate springs, evergreen.

-Creeping Ivy by Laura Purcell

For me anthologies are always hit or miss.
There are few in between that I have enjoyed every single story and that's fine. Different authors for different tastes.

What I didn't expect from After Sundown however was how the stories would stick to my mind long after I had finished reading. That is the sign of a great horro
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
  • Little Bones
  • The Theory of Everything: The Origin and Fate of the Universe
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
This profile may contain books from multiple authors of this name.

News & Interviews