Start by marking “Dark Skies (Dark Shores, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Skies (Dark Shores, #2)

Dark Skies

(Dark Shores #2)

A RUNAWAY WITH A HIDDEN PAST

Lydia is a scholar, but books are her downfall when she meddles in the plots of the most powerful man in the Celendor Empire. Her life in danger, she flees west to the far side of the Endless Seas and finds herself entangled in a foreign war where her burgeoning powers are sought by both sides.

A COMMANDER IN DISGRACE

Killian is Marked by the God
Published April 27th 2021 by Tor Teen (first published May 5th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Skies, please sign up.
Danielle Jensen The audiobook was released the same day as the print/ebook, so you can find it on all major audio retailers.

Start your review of Dark Skies (Dark Shores, #2)
megs_bookrack
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
I had an absolute blast reading Dark Shores, the first book in this series, last year and consider it to be a highly underrated YA Fantasy.

Going into this second installment, I was completely prepared to enjoy it, but Dark Skies took this series to a whole new level.

One very interesting point of note on the format, which I was unaware of going in, is that this book's storyline runs parallel to the storyline of Dark Shores.

I expected this to be a linear continuation of the series, picking up dire
jessica
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
holy smokes. its very rare for me to enjoy a sequel more than the first book, but this blew ‘dark shores’ out of the water, out of the sky, out of the universe.

and i think, in this case, it could be because the events of this book run parallel to the events in the first book; so rather than a continuation of the story, its an extension. the characters are also more likeable, the story is more action packed, and the vibe of the story feels like there is more at stake. it radiates that nail-b
Danielle Jensen
Dec 01, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Read chapter 1! https://danielleljensen.com/dark-skie...

Two best friends separated by an ocean of lies, betrayal, and political machinations. One girl's path has been revealed, but now it's time to travel with the other. For there is more than one way to cross the world of Reath...

This is an excerpt from my newsletter in which I discuss DARK SKIES and why it's not exactly a sequel...

SURPRISE! I'm sure quite a few of you are reading this email and wondering what is going on and why this novel isn
Helena Paris
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, courtesy of NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Buddy read with Zoe!!!

I will admit…if you plan to jump into this, expecting a Dark Shores kind of vibe, you’ve picked up the wrong book, haha. Yes, you can begin this series with either book, but they’re both extremely different, in my opinion. This is longer, slower, and more political. In fact, it took me about 20 chapters to get into this book. 20 CHAPTERS! That’s almost unheard of fo
Lucie V.
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy

✅ Main character
✅ Character development
✅ Action and plot twists
✅ Politics
🆗 Romance / Love interest

This book is very different from Dark Shores, it is less a traveling and conquering adventure, and more of a classic YA political fantasy. The beginning is slow, it took me almost 150 pages to really get into this book, but once I got into it, I couldn’t put it down. The last third of this
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell
I am pretty sure that Danielle Jensen can do no wrong

Don't @ me
Katrin D
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
RTC later today or tomorrow the latest!

Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Happy book birthday to Dark Skies (May 5th!)

Here finally is my full review:

Thank you so much to Tor Teen for the advanced copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review! All opinions are my own.

The two books, Dark Shores and Dark Skies, occur at the same time in the fictional world and can be read in either order. I enjoyed publication order. It made sense to learn what was "really" going on.

Here is a quick spoiler-free recap:  In Shores we read about Teriana and the Maarin traders, Marcus
Melissasfandomworld
REREAD January '20:
Yet again such a fantastic read!
Gods, how I love this world, these characters and this author's writing.
And Killian.... just...SIGH #TeamKillianForever. Sorry Danielle, lol.
---

It's going to take me a few days to try to come up with a review that'll do this magnificent book justice! Until then, I say:

PRE-ORDER THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW and let yourself be swept away by Danielle's fantastic writing. From what I've read so far, this is easily my favorite read of 2020!!!
Rae
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Loved the change of focus to different characters in the same storyline! Can't wait for the next book where all four characters POV combine!

Full RTC!
Stephenie
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lydia is the best friend of Teriana, and if you read Dark Shores first, you briefly met her. Killian is a new character we meet, and the story is told from both of their perspectives.

I really wasn't sure if I would find Lydia interesting or if it would be enough to anchor this story, but I was wrong. Lydia's transformation and journey from the beginning to the end was amazing. I could not stop rooting for this girl. Seriously, Lydia is one tough cookie!

I am a fan of slow burn romances and dang d
Kim
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She cried for all that she'd gained. All that she'd lost. And all that would never be.

Wow I truly loved this book!
The story, the characters and the feel is great and I can't wait to read more about Lydia and Killian. Those two.. I just don't have the words for it.
Katherine
Jun 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!! I absolutely loved this! I liked Dark Shores ( Book 1), so I decided to read the prequel: Tarnished Empire..and basically the 37th made me swoon. Its a must read! Deciding to continue on with this series is a decision you wont regret.

Dark Skies has it all. Slow burn romance, political scheming, rich world building and complex characters 😚💖 I loved it so, so much. Danielle Jensen is a master at storytelling! I already ordered Gilded Serpents, and am excited to see how the rest of the story
Shannon Dawya
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read my full review plus you can listen to a playlist inspired by Dark Skies curated by yours truly here!

Blog | Twitter | Instagram

I have so many thoughts about this book but one thing stood out among anything else: DARK SKIES IS AN AMAZING SEQUEL.

I stumbled upon enough book reviews to know that the second book is harder to write than the first one. We, readers, expect things to be better in the sequel. Sometimes, we set those expectations too high and we'd be disappointed. But in not-so-rar
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher, Tor Teen, for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

I read Dark Shores last year and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it, so when I saw this one available, I knew I needed to request it. And I'll be waiting impatiently for book three after this story.

The beginning of both books tells basically the same story, Dark Shores telling Teriana's side of things and Dark Skies showing Lydia's. Then they both diverge into two separate concur
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Dark Skies, wow - just wow. At first, I was hesitant because it was a little slow to start off with. Then I got a little confused because I was re-reading something that happened in the previous book. Yet, it started to make sense. We were going back because we had to see everything from Lydia's POV. Which, if I'm being honest.. was pretty boring throughout the book. Eventually she got better but I really enjoyed Killian's
Ashley
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Star Rating: —> 4.5 Stars

AHHHHH SO GOOD! The ending totally gutted me, though. Ugh. Can't wait to read book 3!
Ava
That was insanely amazing.
I think it's really cool that you could technically read DARK SKIES *or* DARK SHORES first, because they're happening along the same timeline; either way, I think readers will be thrilled with whichever they pick, because the Lydia/Killian story is JUST AS AWESOME as the Marcus/Teriana story. I love the world Jensen has created; it's fully fleshed out, I fall for just about every character who walks on the page, and the books are so tightly plotted that there is not a
Eileen (BookCatPin)
A billion stars!!!!

I loved Dark Shores a lot but oh my god did I fall head over heels for Dark Skies! The story made my heart pound, the characters gave me all the feels and the romance stole my breath away!

Lydia and Killian is officially my favourite OTP!!! She's timid yet resourceful and he's disgraced but resilient. They couldn't have been further apart but fate brought them together. I loved seeing their relationship develop. With the exception of a few bittersweet moments, their interaction
Morgan
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Actual rating: 6/5 stars

Dark Shores was a 5/5 star read for me and I loved Dark Skies even more soo sorry bout it Goodreads

It's very rare that I can find no issues within a book, but honestly… this was perfect. Guilty pleasure binge-worthy amazing. I’m calling it now: Dark Skies is in the top 5 for the best 2020 releases and 100% one of the most underrated books of the year. There wasn’t a single moment I didn’t enjoy while reading Dark Skies and I need y’all to stop sleeping on this series.

The
Lyn

Dark Skies is Lydia’s story. We learn what happened to her after her ordeal in the first book and we also learn more about the world and politics concerning the countries of the Dark Shores. I have to say, both books have amazing covers. Even without reading the synopsis, you will be tempted to grab the book just for the remarkable covers.

The plot-line was intriguing, knotted with curve balls that you would not see coming. Surprising secrets embedded deep were revealed at the optimum time, addin
Laura P.
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was amazing, different from Dark shores but still amazing.

I miss Marcus and Tierana but loved Lydia and Killian all the same. Oh and the chemistry between these two, the restrained feels and pent-up lust... Gosh, I wanted so much for them to kiss properly!I was screaming inside --Still it was achingly beautiful.

I'm a big fan of the slow burn - as it definitely feels more real to me than the insta-love (which makes me gag and annoys me in equal part... the only insta-thing I love is coffee)
T.L. Branson
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I just finished Dark Skies by Danielle L. Jensen and oh my gosh.

But first, a quick question…

What do milkshakes, Slurpees, and smoothies have in common?

Besides being drinks, they’re all mixes.

I’ve already confessed to being a milkshake connoisseur, but I’m also a Slurpee addict. The perfect Slurpee is a blend between Cherry and Coke, mixed to the perfect texture that’s not too thick and not too watery.

Similarly, Dark Skies is an absolutely perfect blend of Magic, Action, Politics, Deception, and
Kelsea
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, arc
4.5 stars!

My book memory is terrible, so by the time I picked up Dark Skies, the only real things I could tell you about Dark Shores were the basic premise and the fact that I enjoyed the book.

Thankfully, it wasn't too confusing to read Dark Skies, even for those of us afflicted with goldfish-level-memory! The first book started coming back to me as I read Dark Skies, and the plot was different enough from the first book's storyline to be complete intriguing even if I'm missing a few details. I
Kaitlyn Davis
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I really loved this book! I wasn't sure what to expect because I haven't read the first book in the series yet, but you can definitely start with this one like I did (and then go back to book 1 like I will because you need to know what happens!).

The world building was top-notch! The seven gods and the marked (with their magic) were so easy for me to envision, as were the differences between the two continents on opposite sides of the world--one more roman in nature, and the other more medi
Heather
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars
I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review

Another gorgeously written and beautifully told story by Danielle L. Jensen in this fantastical world. This book finds its voice through Lydia (who we met briefly in Dark Shores) and Killian (who you will not regret meeting in this book <3). If you enjoyed Dark Shores, you will adore the continuation of this story from this varying POV.

What I liked

Speaking of POV, I really enjoyed how Jensen chose to tell this sto
Skye ~ Court of Binge Reading
***Thank you to NetGalley and Tor Teen for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review***

Danielle L. Jensen sure knows how to perfectly execute political intrigue. She also excels at world-building. And slow-burn romances. And characters you can’t help but root for--and ship together.

Basically, I’m telling you that you should definitely add this series to your TBR.

Do it.

Right now.

Okay, let me backup and explain a few things to you. If you like brave heroines, you should read thi
AJ
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”Neither of them took that next step, only stood and breathed and thought of what might have been.”

Why is this series not talked about more? It’s clear this will be a series where each book is better than the previous.

I instantly fell for Killian. His loyalty and devotion, and his genuine caring of others made him my favorite over and over and although it took me a while to warm up to Lydia, I did find myself rooting for her. For her strength, her mission and of course for their possible ro
Dorian Haviliard♕
Coming soon bois
Grüffeline
I have no clue how to rate this. 3 stars maybe?
Rtc

• With the Fire on High
  • Ayesha at Last
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • Other Words for Home
  • Havoc at Prescott High (The Havoc Boys, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)
  • The Killing Floor Blues (Daniel Faust, #5)
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
  • A Plain-Dealing Villain (Daniel Faust, #4)
  • Mirage (Mirage, #1)
  • Above the Bay of Angels
  • Lovely War
  • Blood Water Paint
  • Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors (The Rajes, #1)
  • A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • One of the Guys
  • Announcing Trouble
See top shelves…
Danielle L. Jensen is the USA Today bestselling author of The Malediction Trilogy (Angry Robot), the Dark Shores series (Tor Teen), and The Bridge Kingdom series (Audible Originals). She lives in Calgary, Alberta with her family.

Dark Shores (4 books)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • Gilded Serpent (Dark Shores, #3)
  • Scorched Earth (Dark Shores, #4)

News & Interviews

“Time itself doesn’t change people, Highness. What happens to them while it passes does.” 0 likes