Start by marking “Chaos on CatNet (CatNet #2)” as Want to Read:
Chaos on CatNet (CatNet #2)

Chaos on CatNet

(CatNet #2)

In this follow-up to the award-winning near future YA thriller Catfishing on CatNet, It takes an AI to catch an AI…

Published April 27th 2021 by Tor Teen

Start your review of Chaos on CatNet (CatNet #2)
Sherwood Smith
Jan 11, 2021 added it
Shelves: sf
In this LGBTQ-friendly near-future dystopia, we pick up with Steph again as she is starting a new school. On her first day she meets Nell, an odd girl who’s been homeschooled until her mother vanished, and she was sent to live with her father and his new wife (and also a girlfriend). Nell, who has been raised to distrust everyone outside of her mother’s religious cult, is horrified to discover herself in this situation.

But Nell’s two biggest problems are finding her mother, and finding her girl
C. S.
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, fiction
Just as compulsively readable as the first book. I adored the new characters introduced in this installment as well as the chance to catch up with Steph, CheshireCat, and the gang.

Like the first one, the novel is amazingly good hearted, and the author’s note at the end, about ways 2020 unexpectedly mirrored and shaped the novel, was very touching.

Basically the only reason I knocked off a star is because I felt like the way the gang just stumbled into the plot at the very beginning was a little
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
4.5/5, rounded up because (a) it was such a compulsively readable book, even with its few minor issues, and (b) that author's note at the end was excellent.

Full review coming soon :)
The Captain
Apr 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received this young adult sci-fi eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings . . .

This be the second full-length CatNet series novel by Naomi Kritzer.  The first novel was based on "Cat Pictures Please" which won the 2016 Locus and Hugo awards for best short story.  Book one followed Steph who was on the run from her evil father.  She is saved in the end by her friends from a social media site called CatNet and the AI in hiding cal
Lata
4.5 stars. Steph's world opens up further with the resolution from book one. She's now in a city, living in an apartment, getting together with her girlfriend on weekends, and things feel semi-permanent! Also, she's discovering that she has more family than just her mother and father.
Then at her new school she meets Nell, a young woman from a cult who's been homeschooled and whose mother has disappeared. And Nell's girlfriend has also disappeared, adding to Nell's worries and stress.
Steph kind
Kate
Jun 21, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2021, ebooks
2.5/5stars

Unfortunately, the trend of me disliking sequels continues :( I just didn't vibe with this one, i didn't like these characters and found them incredibly dumb and i couldn't understand their motivations AT ALL and also how they didn't realize their entire situation/these apps they were using were SO CREEPY. If it had been more self aware, that would have been FAR better. but the plot was very fun and fast paced and all the cult stuff was pretty interesting.
Mal
Oct 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recs
This is a sleeper hit like the first one. Absolutely fantastic, set ten minutes in the future. I read both of them in a single sitting. The pacing is a work of art. The kids are fun and realistic. The technology is real or terrifyly plausible. The cast is diverse AF. Minneapolis is handled with delicacy and intention. And I'm always a sucker for thrillers set where the enemy is your environment, and Minnesota is real darn cold in the winter. ...more
Scott Shjefte
May 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Great fun reading this book. I was born in Minneapolis where much of the story takes place and I like much of how the city was integrated and upgraded throughout the tale. I like cats as well and my cat Val spent much of my reading time curled up next to me. I started out reading this on audio assist but could not get oriented as to whose point of view was being narrated so I switch to large kindle print instead and that went much better. There were a few spots where the AI should have been a bi ...more
Beth Cato
Feb 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received this YA book from the publisher via NetGalley.

I read the first CatNet book as part of the Norton Award finalist packet last year. It gripped me from the start with its relatable young heroine Steph and fantastic hook: a teenage girl who has spent her life with her mom on the run from her abusive dad relies on an internet chat room for support--and when her dad finds her, discovers one of her dear online friends is a sentient AI (who happens to love cat pictures), and really relies on
Emma
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, arcs
Chaos on CatNet threw me into such a book drought that it's taken starting and setting aside three books to figure out what I could possibly read next. It somehow managed to up the stakes from Catfishing on CatNet while preserving so many of the things I loved about the first book.

I definitely feel like I benefitted from not knowing much about the premise so this review won't have a blurb of the plot. I will say it picks up shortly after where Catfishing on CatNet left off but includes a helpfu
Lauren Stoolfire
Apr 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Chaos on CatNet (CatNet #2) by Naomi Kritzer was one of my most anticipated reads of April and luckily it mostly lived up to my expectations. 2019's Catfishing on CatNet was such a pleasant surprise that I was really excited to for this sequel. I honestly don't know why this isn't on more peoples radar because this YA near-future sci-fi thriller series hits the right notes. Whatever the case, it really deserves to become a sleeper
Donna
May 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
Steph helps a new friend, Nell, find her girlfriend who has been mistreated by a cult.

Wow! This book was just as good as the first and I may have even liked it more since it was a return to characters that I loved. The author kept it fresh with the addition of a new town (a permanent home this time in Minneapolis) and new additions. Cheshire Cat, of course, is still the co-star with Steph. The road trip/save the girlfriend from an armed cult felt a little over the top while the Mischief Elves an
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review, read-2020
I begged for there to be a second book after reading Catfishing on CatNet and my dreams were answered, almost as if CheshireCat was listening in on my conversation. (If only I were so lucky!) So we're back with the team. Not much time has passed since the ending of the first book. Enough time for Steph's mum to have made some progress on her therapy and for Steph to start at yet another new school. Only this time it's under her actual name, with all of her transcripts and with nothing to hide. H ...more
Roslyn Sundset
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I received an ARC (Advanced reader copy) of this book from NetGalley and Macmillan-Tor/Forge. Just so you readers know, I will always give an honest review. If I can't be honest, I simply won't do it. This book comes out on Apr 27, 2021.

I mean, right off the bat I have to agree with The New York Times Book Review. This book is perfect.

I read Catfishing on CatNet last year (2020) in October and my obsession began. I first heard about this book from a podcast I listen to about reading called Rea
Beverly Fox
Jun 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
So I loved Catfishing on CatNet and, because of that, was quite worried about this sequel. What if the characters change in ways I don’t like? What if the story just isn’t good? What if she changes the world too much?

I’m happy to report that none of those fears were remotely founded and I loved this book just as much as its predecessor. In fact, I may have loved it even more because of the authors note at the end- but first, the story.

We pick up just a few months after the last one ended. Steph’
Alexandra
Feb 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book was provided by the publisher at no cost.

First: you have to read Catfishing on CatNet before reading this. That's usually a good idea with any sequels, and this book definitely won't make sense if you haven't read the first.

CHAOS follows the same pattern as Catfishing: chapters from the POV of CheshireCat, the AI who loves cat pictures and tries to help humans, sometimes with disastrous results; chapters as Steph, the protagonist of the first book, who is no longer forced to keep run
Rachel
Jun 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, ya-children
Excellent follow-up to Catfishing on CatNet. Did that one end with the suspicion that there's another AI somewhere? Turns out that there is, and it has an agenda that may or may not be harmless. Turns out there's a lot of harm being planned, and Steph and her friends, notably the Cheshire Cat AI, have to find out what's happening. At her new school, Steph meets Nell, who's been living in an apocalyptic cult and has problems with that (the cult is anti-gay and her girlfriend is missing). Steph's ...more
Tsana Dolichva
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review to come closer to the release date
Didi Chanoch
May 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Terrific sequel to the lovely CatFishing on CatNet. Steph and her growing circle of friends and family are, once again, fighting for stakes both personal and far greater. And, once again, using the powers of friendship and queerness and smarts and resourcefulness. And a nearly all-poweful friendly AI, of course.
Just_ann_now
May 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021, from-the-fcpl
I cannot even begin to list the ways in which this book was AWESOME and HILARIOUS.
Halley Hopson
May 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars ⭐️

I would like to describe this book as if extremely aware Artificial Intelligences, cults, Pokémon GO, and Parler(aka the app used by trumpers to plan the raid on capital on January 6th) were all combined into a novel. The ending was quite abrupt I will say, but I quite enjoyed the ride and obviously love our cast of characters in this series as well as all of the queer representation.
Your Books Are Calling
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Well, I requested this book on NetGalley, and then had to go find the first book! Didn’t realise this was a sequel.
Pro tip: if you, like me, didn’t realise that Chaos on CatNet was the SECOND book, stop reading this and go read Catfishing on CatNet first. Don’t worry, I’ll still be here, and I will be reviewing them both below :-).

Catfishing on CatNet was a pretty good book. Our MC is on the run from her father, a c
Jill
Apr 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Steph and her mother no longer need to run from her father, thanks in part to the help of Steph’s online friends from CatNet and the Artificial Intelligence (AI) that runs CatNet, who calls themself CheshireCat. Now Steph is living in Minneapolis and registering for a private school that’s designed for students who may have gaps in their education.

On her first day at the new school. Steph meets Nell, who had been homeschooled by her mother. But over winter break, Nell’s mother had gone missing,
Bethany
Apr 18, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

This review is based on an ARC ebook received for free from NetGalley. I am not being paid to review this book and what I write here is my own opinion. My rating scale is below.

review
After a brief recap of the first book Catfishing on Catnet in which we are reminded that CheshireCat, is actually an AI who is very good at figuring out who will be good friends to each other and created CatNet in order to do that and look at cat pictures, and through hijinks ended up revealing their AI sta
Ashley
Apr 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
**Disclaimer: I received a free early access copy of Chaos on Catnet by Naomi Kritzer through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for this opportunity.
Chaos on Catnet by Naomi Kritzer is a young adult near-future science fiction novel. It is the sequel to Catfishing on Catnet and the second book in the Catnet series. This book picks up some time after the events after the first and we see Steph and her friends dealing with everything that happen ...more
Teresa
May 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley, Naomi Kritzer, and Tor Teen for the opportunity to read Chaos on CatNet in exchange for an honest review.

This is the second book in the CatNet series. While it is recommended to read the first novel, Catfishing on CatNet, to get a feel for Steph and her family, Chaos on CatNet has a wholesome plot of its own and can probably be read with little confusion.

Steph's father is in jail. She and her mom can finally live somewhere permanently, though the stress of always being o
Kasey Connors-Beron
Apr 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Releases April 27, 2021

Book 2 in the CatNet series. Review of Book 1 can be found HERE. If you have not read book 1, I suggest you not finish reading this review as it will contain spoilers for book 1.

Content warning: abuse, kidnapping, cult, bullying

I received an ARC of Chaos on CatNet by Naomi Kritzer thanks to the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Blurb thanks to Goodreads:

“In this follow-up to the award-winning near future YA thriller Catfishing on CatNet, It takes
Lis Carey
May 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-sf, fiction, audiobooks
Steph and her mother are no longer on the run. Steph's father is locked up in Boston, awaiting trial with no bail. They're living in Minneapolis, and Steph is finally enrolled in a high school she can expect to graduate from. She's enrolled under her real name, with all the school information that she has, and telling the truth about why it's so spotty.

She also has a new friend, a classmate named Nell, who has her own interesting history. She's been homeschooled until now, because her mother joi
Kayla (krakentoagoodbook)
This was such an excellent sequel to Catfishing on CatNet! Like the first book, this is very fast paced and engaging. There's exciting plot threads, including some dealing with cults. I thought this was perfect to read as the weather is getting colder since the cold definitely plays a factor in some of the events that happen! There are some very tense and chilling (both literally and otherwise) moments in this book. I really enjoyed reading the author's note about how events of 2020 affected som ...more
Jen
Nov 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Although I haven't read the first book (Catfishing on Catnet), I did find this YA novel intriguing.
from description: "When a mysterious entity starts hacking into social networks and chat rooms to instigate paranoia and violence in the real world, it’s up to Steph and her new friend, Nell, to find a way to stop it—with the help of their benevolent AI friend, CheshireCat."

Chaos on Catnet is a YA thriller with some genuine considerations about social media/the internet and its ability to influenc
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, #6)
  • The Last Secret You’ll Ever Keep
  • Everyone Dies Famous in a Small Town
  • Finna (LitenVerse #1)
  • Winterkeep (Graceling Realm, #4)
  • The Four Profound Weaves
  • The Queen's Gambit
  • A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking
  • All Boys Aren't Blue
  • The Castle School (for Troubled Girls)
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
  • Hench
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • Tower of Mud and Straw
  • A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1)
  • The Harp of Kings (Warrior Bards, #1)
  • Spellbreaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #1)
  • Girls of Brackenhill
See top shelves…

CatNet (2 books)
  • Catfishing on CatNet (CatNet #1)

News & Interviews