Start by marking “Je größer der Dachschaden, desto besser die Aussicht” as Want to Read:
Je größer der Dachschaden, desto besser die Aussicht

Je größer der Dachschaden, desto besser die Aussicht

Irgendwie hatte Nell sich das anders vorgestellt mit dem Leben. Anfang 40 klang nach liebevollem Ehemann, wunderbaren Kindern und einem fantastischen Zuhause. Stattdessen ist der Verlobte weg, das Geschäft ist pleite und die Ersparnisse sind dahin, während all ihre Freunde die perfekte Hochglanzexistenz führen. Als ein alter Arbeitskollege ihr einen Job als Nachrufschreibe ...more
Published August 3rd 2020 by Piper

PGC Books Hi Helen. The book is available in Canada and Australia (as 'Confessions of a Forty-Something'). It was scheduled to be released in the UK earlier thi…moreHi Helen. The book is available in Canada and Australia (as 'Confessions of a Forty-Something'). It was scheduled to be released in the UK earlier this year too, and review copies were made available, but it was moved to 2021 because of the pandemic. (less)

Start your review of Je größer der Dachschaden, desto besser die Aussicht
Amanda
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nell is at rock bottom, she has split up with her fiancé after their business went bust and has moved into a shared house with Edward, who has a long list of rules .. but on the positive side he won’t be home at the weekends!!

When Nell celebrates her 40th birthday it makes her realise this is not the life she had planned, friends around her are settled down with children and have new friends that enjoy play dates together.

Nell lands up writing obituaries, she meets Cricket an 80 year old widow a
Trish at Between My Lines
Ohhh guys, do you want to read a book that’s a TONIC for the times we are living in? Then you need to read Confessions of a Forty-Something F##k Up by Alexandra Potter because it sizzles with life. And made me laugh at least once a page.

Thanks to Pan Macmillan for giving me for giving me a copy of this book for review consideration. As always, no matter what the source of the book, you get my honest, unbiased opinion.

FIRST LINE OF CONFESSIONS OF A FORTY-SOMETHING F##K UP

“Hi, and welcome to Confe
Marysa
Jan 10, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love this book, I really did. As someone who is forty without the husband and children I’d always thought I’d have (and no real prospects on the horizon), I thought I’d finally found something I could relate to. There is nothing out there that’s I’ve found so far in literature for women like us and when I saw this book, I thought ‘about time!’ I thought I would laugh, cry and take comfort. But this book really triggered me.

It made me incredibly angry and I thought, presumptuously, th
Adele Shea
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is in my top five books that I have read this year. It has everything, love, loss, friendship and enemies. You can’t help but love Nell and want her to have her happy ever after.
Laugh out loud funny in some places but also heart wrenching in others
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

Hi and welcome to Confessions of a Forty-Something F##k Up, the podcast for any woman who wonders how the hell she got here, and why life isn’t quite how she imagined it was going to be.’

Romantic comedy novelist Alexandra Potter returns with a brand new sharp, in touch and genuine novel in Confessions of a Forty Something. Following the poignant and relatable journey of a lead that you just can’t help but root for, we bear witness to Nell Stevens’ disaster m
Prabhjot Kaur
Penelope or Nell as she prefers has moved back to the UK after breaking up with her American Fiancée. Nell is a forty something single woman without a job and accommodation unlike her friends who are all married and have kids and have their own houses. Her father lends her money and she looks for a shared accommodation and starts a job as an obituary writer to pay for bills.

When she goes to meet the widow of a recently deceased playwriter, she meets the eighty something widow, Catherine or she
Amy
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and Pan Macmillan for sending me an eARC of this book.

I actually read the first look of this over on Readers First and thought it was such an uplifting and fun book; and I felt that way for perhaps the first half, but then i just began to feel very cliche and the ending was just really disappointing for me. I thought this was going to be a story about her finding herself and I was hoping the ending would follow suit but then it just felt like such a let-down for me.

I wish
Nicki
This was fantastic I loved every single minute of this audiobook!

I do enjoy a good contemporary romance so when I read Jo @ Over The Rainbow Book Blog’s review I was very tempted. Then when I saw a fab interview with the author on Instagram I gave in and used my audible credit on it.

I loved Nell straight away and felt part of her story right from the first chapter. I sympathised and empathised with her, all the away through the book. I loved her friendships with Cricket, Fiona and Arthur and I g
Kaloyana
Jun 09, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Highly unrealistic, hugely predictable, medium dose of clichés, mostly readable, with a few good lines, if you have the patience for the above. If it wasn't audio book, wouldn't stay for the ending. ...more
Lucii Dixon
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a solid 5 stars all the way until the ending. I didn't think it was a necessary adding and felt it was just plonked there. It was confusing and didn't quite fit with the rest of the story. But other than the ending, this story is a hoot of laughs! This one will definitely tickle your insides. From the way the character talks to the unfortunate events - like 'shitgate' - and so many other things that are amusing, entertaining and great to read about.

I must, if you need a laugh out l
Lisa Kissane
Firstly I have to make readers aware that this is NOT a memoir, which is what I thought I was reading for the first two chapters. Oops! The writing was so real that I genuinely didn't realise it was a work of fiction until I finally spotted that the name of the protagonist was different to the name of the author.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found the writing clever, witty, hilarious and emotive. Nell was instantly loveable (real or otherwise!) and I was immediately invested in her story.
Lynn
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm certainly in the obvious demographic for this story, being a single forty-something myself, but I do think it would appeal to most ages.

I went in expecting a light and fluffy rom-com. We definitely got the comedy, I found myself laughing out load numerous times, but with only a smattering of romance. What we got was a fun but heartfelt story about friendship, family and finding your place in the world even if it isn't the 'norm'

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher / author for providing
Lisa
Apr 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Overall this is funny and heart-warming. I did like it even though there is a certain amount of cheese!

I did have some issues with the portrayal of childless women but it is comedy/light entertainment and I don't want to discuss my views here. If I could put those things aside it would be a 5 star read for pure entertainment (and a few emotional tears).
Fabulous Book Fiend
I may not quite be a forty something yet but this is 100% the book I needed to read right now. I loved the humour and warmth as well as the realness of this book. This book, through main character Nell, shows you that nobody has it all together and that you can be a f**k up but still be living your best life the way you want to live it.

I could just related to Nell from the word go in this book. I could both sympathise and empathise with her and I loved getting to know her over the course of the
Frenchorchidea
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so so happy and excited when I saw that Alexandra Potter released a new book! I read so many great books by this author! So I was confident that I was going to love this book. Well in the end, I can say that I liked this book but I didn't love it. Some parts of this book are so great, so fun, I even found myself laughing out loud, I even recognized myself in so many ways (I am myself 40 years old) but unfortunately this book is waaaaaaay too long for what it has to tell and this meant that ...more
J.L. Slipak
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nell Stevens’ life is a mess.

When her business goes bust and her fiancé with it, Nell’s happy ever after in California falls apart and she moves back to London to start over. But a lot has changed since she’s been gone. All her single friends are now married with children, sky-high rents force her to rent a room in a stranger’s house and in a world of perfect instagram lives, she feels like a f*ck up. Even worse, a forty-something f*ck-up.

But when she lands a job writing obituaries, Nell meets t
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is like a reassuring, comforting hug! For anyone needing a bit of reassurance that none of us have our stuff together all of the time, this is it!

Nell, in her early forties, moves back to London from the US after her engagement breaks up. She moves back in with her parents, discovers all her friends have moved on with family, kids and perfect lives full of swimming pools, yoga and quinoa baked goods!

This is the story of her first year back in London. She ends up in a flat share and thr
Saniya Ahmad
Mar 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to Confessions of a Forty-Something F**k Up, a podcast by Nell Stevens, who believes she is a forty-something fuck up and has achieved literally nothing in life. She has recently moved back to London from the US, after breaking off her 5 year-long engagement with the love of her life and after their joint business venture failed. She now looks around and her friends are all happily married with well-mannered kids and their own houses, and she looks back at herself with no husband or kids ...more
Joanna Park
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this uplifting, funny and absorbing read which was perfect for cheering me up after Christmas. I’ve been recommending it to everyone as I think we all need this book in our lives at the moment!

Firstly I absolutely loved Nell and I wish that I knew her in real life. She is such a realistic character, with many flaws and quirky ways of doing things that I warmed to her quickly. I think everyone will be able to relate to her in some way and it was great fun to follow her througho
Lina Conk
Jun 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are feeling down-and-out or in a reading slump, do yourself a favor and pick up this book!! This book is the perfect blend of humor and heartwarming moments. If only Nell Stevens was not a fictional character, I would absolutely ask her to be my friend! She was witty, had a self-deprecating sense of humor, relatable, and sooo authentic. I was rooting for her from page 1!

Any Bridget Jones’s Diary Fans out there? Something about this book took me back to Bridget Jones’s Diary. I think it w
Peter Christie
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confessions of a Forty-Something F**k Up by Alexandra Potter is a funny, modern, relevant read which will appeal to a wide range of readers. The style is loosely podcast / diary in nature with several emails and other missives slotted in. It is quite a weighty book but doesn’t feel that long when reading. Cricket is one of the stand out characters - she is getting used to life without her husband and yet does not allow grief to totally consume her. She continues trying to make the best of any op ...more
peppersocks
Reflections and lessons learned:
“Sod this!”

The lead character Nell uses the same words that I’ve always used when reviewing life choices that don’t quite fit what I expected... sod this, I’m moving on!! Celebrating the multiple lives lived by all individuals, but also recognising the cloak and dagger need for the secrets and lies that we have to work through before presenting some elements of us to the world. Some relatable joys along the way include enjoying an electric blanket and a bed of you
Angela Rowe
Have you ever read a book where things happen, but nothing happens? Or a book that a lot is happening but it is all over the place? That’s how I felt about this book. There are a lot of things I could say, but alas, I do not have the energy. What started out as a promising book, ended with more frustrations for me than not. As a “forty-something” (aka forty year old) woman who often asks, “WTF am I doing?” I could relate to a lot of the main character’s thoughts (is it bad that I don’t remember ...more
Tess Lock
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The secret to happiness is writing a daily gratitude list” quote from the beginning of this story...

1. Tears of laughter already and only on first few pages.
2. The writing which is so good that it gives that slightly chaotic feel of someone living an unscripted life.
3. The storyline is believable and relate able.
4. That I am sure Edward is the doppelgänger of my husband.....so many house rules.
5. That Netgalley allowed me to have this copy for an unbiased review in the first week of my self- is
Aly Warren
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
40 year old Nell, feels like she failing in life. Surrounded by friends who are married and friends who have children. Recently divorced Nell, wonders where it all went wrong. With added comedy and sorrow.

It was so truthful! I think I can confidently say all us feel as if we are failing at something in life. It was nice to know that we are not alone in our journey. We all put on a brave face and deal with it the best we can. Not knowing everyone feels just the same

I loved Nell, thought she was a
Nicola Southall
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m in my 40’s so this appealed to me from the title alone and I was not disappointed.
Nell is in her 40’s has a failed relationship and life isn’t just how she had planned and everyone else seems to have just the perfect life.
The story was funny, I love the relationship Nell has with her new friend Cricket who is double her age and teaches her so much
I also like the difference in relationship with her old friends from before she went away and how all their lives have changed.
The book is a great
Ellen Springelkamp
Ok, so this is a chicklit and has a bit of cheese that comes with it, at the same time it’s a chicklit that made me laugh out loud and shed a tear or two and really resonates with real life. The main character Nell is very likable and relatable, I would say anyone who feels like a whatever-age- “fuck up” would enjoy this read.
bibliophoenix
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
This was such a feel-good read! I was lucky enough to be sent a copy by Tandem Collective UK as part of a readalong which was so much fun! Although this is about 40-something Nell who just left a long-term relationship in the US to restart her life in the UK, I think it resonates with almost everyone.

This is an addictive, laugh-out-loud book which also touches on some really important and sensitive subjects. I really enjoyed it and was so grateful to be given the opportunity to read it.
Adela Milea
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very nice book. Easy to read, very good before going to sleep.
Shauna
Feb 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Delightful, touching and funny! So many truths! A light hearted fun read

• Girl, Woman, Other
  • You Are Not Alone
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • The Perfect Mother
  • Where the Story Starts
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • The Authenticity Project
  • Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  • The Yellow Bird Sings
  • The Secret Admirer (Detective Natalie Ward, #6)
  • The Silence
  • The Victorian Chaise Longue
  • Still Missing
  • The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock
  • The House Guest
  • How Not To Be A Loser
  • The Holdout
  • The Weight of Love
Alexandra Potter is the best-selling author of twelve novels, including Me and Mr Darcy, which won Best New Fiction Award at the Jane Austen Regency World Awards, Love From Paris which was shortlisted for the RNA Comedy Award and her latest, Confessions of a Forty-something F##k Up published Pan MacMillan.

Hailed by The Times as ‘A winning formula… sharply written, pacey and funny’ her books have b

News & Interviews

“listening can be more powerful than talking.” 1 likes
“I haven’t a clue either. I’m just someone struggling to recognize their messy life in a world of perfect Instagram ones and feeling like a bit of a fuck-up. Even worse, a forty-something fuck-up. Someone who reads a life-affirming quote and feels exhausted, not inspired. Who isn’t trying to achieve new goals, or set more challenges, because life is enough of a challenge as it is. And who does not feel #blessed and #winningatlife but mostly #noideawhatthefuckIamdoing and #canIgoogleit?” 1 likes