Start by marking “Try As I Smite (Brimstone Inc., #4)” as Want to Read:
Try As I Smite (Brimstone Inc., #4)

Try As I Smite

(Brimstone Inc. #4)

Bah humbug just got a lot darker.

Alasdair Blakesley is the head of the Covens Syndicate. He shouldn’t need to look beyond the witches and warlocks he governs, or his own abilities, to solve any problem. But a demon infestation means he can’t trust anyone who may be possessed. The last person he wants to ask for help is also the only person who can fix this, so he sucks up
Published October 26th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Try As I Smite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Try As I Smite

Start your review of Try As I Smite (Brimstone Inc., #4)
Abigail Owen
Sep 21, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
Oh my gosh, I had so much fun with this book. It's Halloween meets Christmas with demons and witches all wrapped up in a retelling of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol".

We're all done with edits and it's coming October 26th! Isn't the cover gorgeous? It's live on Netgalley (https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/boo...) for ARCs now as well!

PREORDER:
Amazon: http://mybook.to/smite
B&N: http://bit.ly/smite-bn
Apple: http://bit.ly/smite-apl
Kobo: http://bit.ly/smite-kobo
Google: http://bit.ly/smite-ggl
Tricia
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've been waiting to get Delilah's story since the beginning of the Brimstone Inc series! The time has finally come and it did not disappoint. Loved the Christmas Carol twist, it was a fun way to get to know Delilah and Alasdair better while watching their connection strengthen. Also, kudos to Owen for managing to still bring the heat to a plot that forever makes you think of old dudes in nightgowns lol.

Like all the Brimstone Inc. books this was a quick spicy little tale and each new character i
Book Snob Sue
Witches, warlocks and demons oh my...too much *shrugs*, maybe, but that is what we have in this book, and I loved it. Alasdair is the powerful warlock, that is the head of the Covens Syndicate, and he happens to be dealing with demons possessing people, so he goes to the one woman that drives him nuts for help, Delilah, a sassy seer. These two, lmao, I loved their back and forth, and all the sexual tension between them, you could just feel it through the pages. She can’t help him, but she does s ...more
Heather andrews
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The man is a demanding one, “still want you.” He stepped in to her again, cupping the back of her neck, willing her to shop shutting him out. “I’ll still want you, dammit.” I liked this book, I loved Alasdair
Judi Soderberg
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who loves BDB and Dark Hunters
This was my first experience with Abigail Owen's Brimstone, Inc. series, and I gotta say, WOW!!! I couldn't be happier with a new series (new to me, that is). It has everything I love in a good PNR series.

Dianne
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ready for a slightly twisted, slightly darker and definitely sexier version of A Christmas Carol? Get ready to enter Abigail Owen’s world of witches, warlocks and demons in TRY AS I SMITE, a thoroughly entertaining, spicy and fun paranormal romance!

Alasdair Blakesley has an infestation problem, nothing so mundane as bugs, but something far more sinister, demons. As the head of the powerful witches syndicate, it wasn’t easy to have to turn to Delilah, and her company, Brimstone, Inc. for help. It
Shirley Cuypers
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-beta, 2020, ebooks
4.5/5*

Original review
This book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Entangled Amara!

Try As I Smite is the fourth book in the Brimstone Inc. series and tells the story of Delilah and Alasdair. Although this is the fourth book in the series, it can be read as a standalone.

Try As I Smite is the book I’ve been waiting for. Ever since I read about Delilah and her services, I’ve been wanting to read her story. And I’m not disappointed at all! I really liked Delil
Judi Soderberg
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

While it may not directly have her dragon shifters, they definitely get a mention, which was cool. But this series didn't need her dragons. She gave us characters like Alasdair and Delilah. Two people who seemed to be polar opposites, when in reality are exactly alike. Well, in every way but on
Marta Cox
Sep 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Three and a half
This is such a fun paranormal series and now as the time of year turns towards winter we get a short story that is about paranormal creatures but set at Christmas. Yes if you want a mash up of Halloween vibes alongside a whole lot of Christmas then this homage to Dickens will certainly entertain on the darker nights !
Alasdair knows there's something about Delilah that's off but can't quite put his finger on what it is. She's gorgeous, intriguing and most of all frustrating. When
Kandace Denys (bookish_kayy)
What would happen if A Christmas Carol met a paranormal romance? Try As I Smite, I couldn’t put the two together in my head. Luckily, Owen did that very thing for us.
I definitely enjoyed this one. The Dickens touches. The hardheaded supernaturals. It all blended seamlessly into this beauty.
ALR
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since the beginning of the series I have anxiously been waiting to find out who Delilah is and finally we get her story! While Alasdair is a powerful warlock and head of the Coven Syndicate ( which governs the witches and warlocks) he’s been bombarded with a demon problem and needs some help. Despite the scorchingly hot sexual tension between Delilah and Alasdair the tension of power between them is overwhelming. When he goes to Delilah for help Alasdair is unaware of the restrictions that preve ...more
Rita
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And Abigail did it again - finally we got to read more about Delilah and Alasdair with a bit of a Chrimasy-feeling and sizzling romance while they have to learn to trust in each other... But sometimes you need ghosts of the past, present and future to manage this ;)
****
I was so looking forward to finally read more about Delilah, especially after her encounter in BaitnWitch with Alasdair. We already knew about the strong, badass woman, but once she came face to face witht the head of the Covens S
Amber
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Try As I Smite is a brilliant addition to this heart rending and extraordinary series. Nothing will capture your heart better then two enemies who challenge one another and disrupt their calm world. Join me in this eye-opening journey of two people who start apart and yet are so tightly and emotionally connected. What you think you see is only smoke and mirrors compared to the truth of their reality.

Alasdair and Delilah are on opposite spectrums. They are so extremely different on so many level
Anne Szlachcic
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is part of a series by the Author and whilst it can be read as a standalone reading the previous book in order would be of benefit .

Alasdair Blakesley is a powerful warlock and head of the Coven Syndicate - which governs the witches and warlocks ........... he has an evergrowing problem with demon possessions , the last straw is the possession of his assistant .
Knowing he cannot kill the demon outright , as the human host would also die , he goes to the last person he wants to ask for
Kelly-Jo Sweeney
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Brimstone Inc is a fun series of short paranormal romances. Although I am sure that they would work fine as standalone romances, I think that they are probably really better if you read the series in order. That is particularly true with this one, as it features Delilah, the owner of Brimstone Inc. In the previous books, we have seen her helping out her various clients, but she has remained quite a mysterious character. Now we finally find out what she is, what her story is and why she is a perf ...more
Romance Schmomance (Malia)
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Like the rest of the Brimstone Inc. series, I've enjoyed every single one. This entire series always have me begging that they were full-length novels. But you know what you're in for, they're short, but immensely enjoyable.

I've been waiting for Delilah's story and to see her paired up with the ever so grumpy, Alasdair. I just couldn't wait to see what Abigail had in store for us.

Earlier today I was going on about how I despise holiday romanced, but give it to me with a PNR twist and I'm here fo
Wendy
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Yay, after three stories in the Brimstone Inc. series, I was very happy to see that Try As I Smite was about the mysterious Delilah herself. In my review of Bait 'N Witch I already mentioned that I hoped she would get her own story and Abigail must have seen it :-)
In this part we finally can read about Delilah and her past. And why she keeps to herself most of the time. And why she is driving Alasdair crazy. We already met Alasdair in the earlier parts of the series, because he is the head of th
Nikki Brooks
Delilah may be the paranormal world's ultimate fixer but she is hiding a BIG secret. But will the dashing but annoying Alasdair hemp or hinder her in trying to keep it under wraps.

Get ready for this twist on a Christmas Carol as Alasdair and Delilah's pasts come crashing into their present.

Alasdair may be chockful of power as the head of the Coven. He has a tight leash on his emotions and his power. The last time he lost control he almost cost himself his family and his sanity.

But Delilah...that
Pamela
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing

'Try as I smite" is the first book I have read in the brimstone, inc series and it did not disappoint. I finished this story in less than a day. In 'try as I smite' we meet alasdair and Delilah. Alasdair has discovered that demons were possessing members of his coven, so he goes to Delilah for help. Delilah mysteriously is unable to help, but she sends him to someone who can. Together Alasdair and Delilah go on 'A Christmas Carol' type journey to save humanity. Their journey was really fun to re
Patricia
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a first for me with Abigail Owen and the Brimstone Inc., and I can say I really plan it not being the last.

The characters of Alasdair and Delilah were extremely entertaining and likeable.
The author played it bit with one of my favorite Christmas books: A Christmas Carol.
In order to say everyone Alasdair and Delilah are sent forth (by Delilah's mother) to learn a few lessons from the past and what can happen in the future if their lessons are not obtained.
The two characters are opposites
Lynn
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit, I picked up this book just because of its title. It just delights me. And it's a paranormal romance with a Christmas Carol twist, which is also fun.

I liked it fine, but my feelings are purely middling about this. Billed as a standalone, I think it would have been helpful to have read the previous books in the series. I felt a bit like I got dumped into the story and didn't have time to get my bearings. I also wasn't 100% into the apparent insta-lust between these characters.

It's fu
Erika
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I read in this series, now I’m going back for the others.

I loved the characters, they way they played off one another and the story and romance built was great.

Even without having read the previous books you can tell this was not an insta love, and it’s more of a frienemies to lovers.

Since I was new to the series and author, I was expecting a tad more funny scenes, the play with words in the title led me to believe that. I loved the play with the “ghosts of christmas pas
Gabriela
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, netgalley
I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.
In this book, we have characters that have had previous encounters in the other books of the series. That was not a problem, but the reference to their previous encounters and common friends are lost to those who haven’t read the other books.
It was short and it was sweet. The author managed to create a real connection between Alasdair and Delilah in just one night. The characters were pretty much ready to be together and just nee
Whispers From
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Delilah owns Brimstone, Inc where she helps people with their supernatural problems. The only thing she cannot interfere with is demons. Alasdair is the head of the Covens Syndicate and demons are taking over his coven. He goes to Delilah but she can’t help him so she sends him to someone else. But they bind him to Delilah and send them to see the past, present, and future. They must figure out how to stop the future they’ve been shown from happening.
Great little story. Two people who are very p
Miriam Wolfe
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a voluntary review of an advanced copy.

I have been hoping that we get a book with the mysterious Delilah! So, I was very excited that this book was about her and boy she is a mystery waiting to unfold.

Alasdair kind of seems like a stuck up elitist but he kind of grows on you as the book progresses and we see some of his past and you can't help but like him.

Lots of action, drama, and intrigue to go along with the sizzling attraction as they battle evil forces. Delilah has a big secret th
Karen Roma
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Try as I Smite is the fourth instalment in Abigail Owen’s Brimstone Inc. and what a fun, outrageous and thoroughly enjoyable read it was. This one has a bit of Halloween and Christmas rolled into one, and plenty of dark and sexy too! I loved the concept and it’s perfect as a quick, in-between stories read.
Lesley
Oct 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, it was another great read from ms Owen. It held my attention and gave me the romantic experience as well as some evil and happiness.
Ms Owen, did a great job worldbuilding and capturing everyone's attention.
Karen Fisher
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So creative and good. Alasdair may be a powerful mage but even he doesn't know what to make of Delilah. I really enjoyed this book. Short fast read with a touching ending.
Katja
Oct 01, 2020 rated it liked it
I wanted to read this because you never know when learning about demon hunters might come in handy. In case I ever have to perform an exorcism, I want to know all the tricks and tricks because you wouldn't want to be unprepared. The wonderfully punny title and the description had me half-expecting a humorous book about two adversaries bantering their way to love. This isn't humorous but it's also not as angsty as a book about demons threatening everything you hold dear might occasionally be.

Thi
Julie
I’ve read many of the books written by this author, but only one in this series. (Bait N’ Witch)
You don’t need to read the others, they are only loosely connected via the characters, but not vital to read.
Alasdair Blakesley is leader of the Coven Syndicate, he monitors all the witches and warlocks. We meet him briefly in the last book, but you don’t need to read them to know what’s going on in this book.
We’ve also met Delilah in the previous book, she owns Brimstone Inc (it’s like a dating ag
« previous 1 3 next »

• Deadly Past (Verona Bay #2)
  • Burning Ash (Forgotten Brotherhood #3)
  • Bane's Choice (Vampire Motorcycle Club, #1)
  • Hell & Back (Outbreak Task Force #5)
  • All Scot and Bothered (Devil You Know, #2)
  • Ancient Enemy (Ancients Rising #2)
  • Impossible Odds (The Five Families, #4)
  • Just a Little Bet (Smokejumper, #2)
  • One Night with a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas #10)
  • Custom Built (Fast & Fury #1)
  • Joy to the Wolves
  • The Highlander's Unexpected Proposal (The Brothers of Wolf Isle, #1)
  • Dawn with a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas #9)
  • Guardian's Grace (Dark Protectors, #12)
  • Blacklisted (Loveless, Texas #3)
  • UNDONE: A Steamy, Contemporary Vacation Romance
  • Fable (Fable, #1)
  • Her Accidental Highlander Husband (Clan MacKinlay, #1)
Do you love plots that move hot and fast, feisty heroines with sass, heroes with heart, a dash of snark, and oodles of HEAs? You do?!?! Welcome!

Abigail Owen is a multi-award-winning author of paranormal romance and upper YA/new adult fantasy romance. Other favorite titles include wife, mother, Star Wars geek, ex-competitive skydiver, spreadsheet lover, Dr. Seuss quoter, eMBA, organizational guru,

Brimstone Inc. (5 books)
  • The Demigod Complex (Brimstone Inc., #1)
  • Shift Out of Luck (Brimstone Inc., #2)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (Brimstone Inc., #2.5)
  • Bait N' Witch (Brimstone Inc., #3)

News & Interviews