Start by marking “Auxiliary: London 2039” as Want to Read:
Auxiliary: London 2039

Auxiliary: London 2039

The silicon revolution left Dremmler behind, but a good detective is never obsolete.

London is quiet in 2039—thanks to the machines. People stay indoors, communicating through high-tech glasses and gorging on simulated reality while 3D printers and scuttling robots cater to their every whim. Mammoth corporations wage war for dominance in a world where human augmentation blu
Paperback
Published May 1st 2020 by TCK Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Auxiliary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Auxiliary

Into Neon by Matthew A. GoodwinBehind Blue Eyes by Anna MocikatAuxiliary by Jon RichterEuropa by Elias J. HurstNeon Nightmares by Tanweer Dar
New Cyberpunk
22 books — 12 voters
Neuromancer by William GibsonSnow Crash by Neal StephensonDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickThe Diamond Age by Neal StephensonAltered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan
Best of Cyberpunk
315 books — 1,148 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Auxiliary: London 2039
Jeffrey Keeten
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
”TIM stood for ‘The Imagination Machine.’”

Doesn’t that sound great? Anything we could possibly desire, TIM can provide.

”With alarming, almost insidious speed, TIM had become ubiquitous; the go-to OS for almost everything. It flew the planes. It drove the cars. It answered the queries when you contacted customer services. It controlled the robotic surgeons that performed life-saving operations. It filed your tax returns. It delivered your food. It selected your music. It read your children bedti
☕️Kimberly
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Detective Carl Dremmler and T Petrovic (ve/ver) are assigned the murder case of Letitia Karlikowska. They have the suspect, so it should be a wrap. But the perp is claiming his robotic arm was hijacked. Yikes! The case quickly morphs into more The two work under the radar as their captain tries keeping this case of the books. Think of the panic it could cause.

The world Richter created was realistic and immersive. It raised questions regarding scientific advancements and artificial intelligence w
Brian Clegg
Aug 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Jon Richter shows a lot of promise in this dystopian murder mystery set in a dark, future London. The main character, detective Carl Dremmler, polices a world where pretty well everything is run by a blend of AI and the internet called TIM, where humanoid robots are commonplace and where total immersion gaming is so beguiling that players regular die, failing to emerge into the real world.

Things get intriguing when a man who murders his partner claims that his artificial arm attacked her of its
Ami-May
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plot

Detective Carl Dremmler and T Petrovic are investigating the murder of Letitia Karlikowska who's boyfriend Conor McCann claim he's not responsible but his robotic arm is. This turns into a series of homicides. But who is responsible?

Jon has established not only a fascinating thriller but also an interesting concept with the technology named The Imaginative Machine ( TIM).

Characters

Detective Carl Drummer is a flawed character with some funny black humour thrown in. He has a seemingly horr
Traveling Cloak
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Auxiliary: London 2039 is a compelling story that uses a murder mystery plot to express the best and worst of the human race as it relates to the development of AI. Author Jon Lichter has written a book that, while short in page count, certainly packs a punch. This book pulls no punches in its examination of humans’ relationship with robots, and I enjoyed reading about it.

I have always thought that writing near-future science fiction is one of the hardest genres to write. Far-future fiction can
D.K. Hundt
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you love Cyberpunk, then I think you will enjoy AUXILIARY, I had a blast reading it!

There’s a point in the book that alludes to the possibility that one of the characters isn’t who they portray to be. As the reader, you don’t get closure regarding said character, which I think adds a layer of mystery to what is real and what is perceived to be a virtual reality throughout the book.

The further I got into this book, for some reason, perhaps it’s the way particular scenes described, Willie Wonk
Iseult Murphy
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Although the dystopian future view of dangerous technology has been a staple of science fiction since the 1950’s, Jon Richter puts his own spin on it with imaginative future tech based on realistic extrapolation of what we have today.
The protagonist, Carl Dremmler, is straight out of a detective novel, even though he’s a police man. He is very flawed, but you still want him to succeed in his mission
I particularly enjoyed the references slipped into the narrative, like the nod to Red Dwarf.
I r
Ross Borkett
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this!! I’m fortunate enough to know the author, but didn’t realise he could write like this!!

Dark, engaging and exciting detective thriller, couldn’t wait to pick it up again and keep reading! I hope there will be more!
Michael Cook
Aug 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
3.5/5 stars
(NOTE: A copy of the novel was provided by the publisher in exchange for a fair review. All thoughts are my own.)

I'm always game to try an indie sci-fi book. Independently published books are always a bit of a gamble; sometimes they're great; other times they're not so great. But often you can find a great diamond in the rough by reading an independently published sci-fi novel. So, when the publishers of Auxiliary: London 2039 reached out to me and asked if I would like to review the
Hobart
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
TIM stood for “The Imagination Machine.”It hadn’t seemed like a game-changer when it had been quietly released by the Imagination Corporation twelve years previous, at least not to Dremmler. It was simply a logical next step, a “one stop shop”that brought together office applications, email, social media, an enhanced personal organiser that was, as the company’s marketing eloquently put it, “like Alexa on steroids.”Video gaming, on-demand
Roger Hyttinen
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such an exciting book in that it's a dark combination of the detective noir, cyberpunk, and sci-fi genres. Our main character, Carl Dremmler, is the kind of detective you'd find in a 1940s noir story: he drinks too much, has a painful past, is a bit crass, and picks up strangers for sex (though he often has sex with his personal humanoid robot). I thought the author did a fantastic job of meshing the different genres, and they all worked seamlessly in this story.

The setting for this dy
Amy Walker  - Trans-Scribe Reviews
My previous experience with reading work by Jon Richter was one of his horror anthology book, Jon Richter's Disturbing Works Volume Two, and whilst I really enjoyed his short stories and saw that he was able to craft really good tales in multiple styles, I had no idea how his work would be as a full novel. Thankfully, it seems like Jon Richter is able to turn his hand to mystery thriller as well as he is horror.

The future of Auxiliary: London 2039 is something of a nightmare if I'm being honest.
Isobel Blackthorn
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Auxiliary opens with hard-boiled detective Carl Dremmler who arrives at the seen of a death in a London flat. The body is that of Shawn Ambrose, an unemployed roboticist and AltWorld addict who became so sucked into the virtual reality AltWorld affords he forgot to eat. Ambrose had succumbed to 'disengagement', a condition in which the addict neglects their own body, dying of thirst, malnutrition or disease. This initial scene introduces the reader to TIM, a single interface referred to as the T ...more
Dini - dinipandareads
Wow. I... I've just finished reading this and I'm not even sure what to think or say about it! I guess I should've paid more attention to the fact that this is what's considered "dark fiction", which is something I've never read before. I read this as part of a blog tour and it ended up being just a bit outside of my comfort zone, but that's what I love about these tours! Special thanks to Heather @ Overview Media, and the author and the publisher for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest and unbi ...more
Daniel Ottalini
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Auxiliary: London 2039 by [Jon Richter]In Short: Auxiliary: London 2039 is a fast paced murder mystery thriller that hammers home the challenges of our changing world and how technology can both help and hurt society. Fans of Black Mirror or other cyberpunk media will love this novel. Relevant and timely, it definitely makes the reader wonder “what if…”

Set in 2039 in a London not so far removed from reality that it isn’t recognizable, Auxiliary: London 2039 follows the tale of Detective Carl Dre
Gabriela Francisco
Nov 06, 2020 rated it liked it
"All these interactions that infused modern human lives; behind them, a single entity, a massive, sprawling intelligence."

(NOTE: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.)

If you like your dystopia hopelessly bleak and black as sin, then this book should be at the top of your Halloween list. (For mature readers only!!!)

Tautly written and compact, Richter's part-mystery, part-scifi novel is about a woman who gets murdered by the robotic arm of her boyfriend... something
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
I received a copy of Auxiliary: London 2039 in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Jon Richter is back, this time with Auxiliary: London 2039, a cyberpunk tale like no other. Portraying a world where everything real is meaningless, this tale explores the darker parts of human potential.

The year is 2039, and machines do all the heavy lifting these days. More than just the heavy lifting, really, as humanity is content to stay indoors and spend time playing in simulated realities. All while the
K.A. Ashcomb
Oct 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is like Blade Runner. The old movie rather than the book. And I felt giddy—finally a book with grit. We follow detective Carl Dremmler through the future London, where AIs and androids are a reality, and where you can augment yourself and get a robotic hand, and people are unemployed because of these changes. The right kind of city mood is there. Everything kicks into gear when a man murders his girlfriend and says it was his robotic hand that did it. Here Jon Richter entails us with t ...more
Jacob Mohr
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For this reviewer, it's easiest to talk about AUXILIARY: LONDON 2039 by first talking about what it's not. It's not ponderous. It's not slow. It doesn't preach, or demand you engage the philosophical thrusters of your think-meat if you really don't want to. While yes, you can engage with AUXILIARY on a far deeper level and draw strong comparisons from this bleak future London to our bleak future-present... the grand thing is, you don't have to. There's just as much meat on the surface as there i ...more
Lel Budge
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Auxiliary is set in London in the not so distant 2039.

Carl Dremmler is a jaded detective sent to the scene of a death …..seeming just a man plugged in to Alt-World and had forgotten to live in the real world.

This is a world connected to technology, from driverless cars, robot surgeons and arachnoid posties…...all with a single operating system known as TIM….’Alexa on steroids’. Robots are everywhere in the workplace and even the bedroom….

Dremmler is then sent to a murder case….the suspect says h
Kristen
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was drawn into this story from the beginning. Richter's informative and quick narrative pace, intriguing main character, and all-too-real vision of the future kept the plot moving and me eager to get to the heart of the mystery at the story's center. I found myself sympathizing with Dremmler as he went through the highs and lows of his latest investigation and mourning with him at the revisiting of his past.

What drew me in most of all, however, was Richter's setting and easy explanations of t
Tiah
Jun 04, 2020 added it
~The eggheads that built machines to take everybody’s jobs had been surprised when their machines built machines that could take theirs.~

~Real life had been made obsolete.~

~Dremmler wondered if they’d reach a point where people were so desperate for work that it would become cheaper to employ them than the machines once again.~

~April 1, 2029 became known as the day children were banned.~

~Human body parts were becoming unwanted hand-me-downs, like second-hand jackets.~

~It felt good to be working
Jen
Sep 13, 2020 rated it liked it
First and foremost, I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. For me, science fiction books can be quite hit or miss, so I was a little hesitant at first to give this one a go. In the end, I decided to give it a shot. So, was it worth it? I mean, I can say that I finished it, whereas the last book I was reading was actually the last in a series and I gave up on it, so that's certainly saying something.

But, let's get down to some more significant details.
Carol Keen
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Don't get complacent, because Big Brother is so watching you. Okay, it's more big A.I, but either way, it's both riveting, plausible, and frightening. At times it made me recall Minority Report, but this is very much its own story. The premise has been seen before, but the characters, execution, and actual reading of this story are very good.

I love the mystery involved, and the twists. It's almost cinematic in the scope of what's happening and I can't tell you all I'd like to because I don't wa
Zenobia
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
OH MY GOODNESS! What did I just read!?

Auxiliary is set in the near future where technology has slowly taken over our day to day lives. We follow the story of Detective Dremmler who is tasked with uncovering the story behind a grisly murder. His investigation leads him to something much bigger than he expected and entangles him in a web of cunning business corporations and the AI known as TIM.

A fast paced quick read, Auxiliary is a noir thriller with several dark elements that aren't for the fa
Steven Burke
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Auxiliary is the first time reading one of Jon's works, and I must say I was very impressed. He was very detailed at the right moments in the story and had a great flow to the story. I was drawn in immediately to what the main characters were feeling and thinking. The technological landscape is very intriguing and looks at how individuals use advances. The author is not afraid to objectively present sensitive, even taboo subjects authentically.

The ending was one I did not see coming because I wa
Donna
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very very disturbing glimpse into a potential future.
People are now just slave to machines. They only have to think of what they want and they can have it.
Dressler is a cop, that gets sent to investigate a death. A common occurrence when people prefer to stay in the Altworld an alternative life in which they can do as they wish, forgetting they are still human and need to eat and drink.
He is then sent to investigate a strange murder, the boyfriend claims his robotic arm took on a life of it
W. Blaine
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Science fiction mysteries are very difficult to write. You need to define the parameters of your world, with clear capabilities and limitations of the technology in the text, preferably not in big dumps of exposition. Richter put together a compelling mystery that meets these criteria, while providing red herrings and multiple suspects in the process. Like any good mystery, the final impressions depends on how fair the solution is, and whether an attentive reader can come up with it themselves, ...more
Helen
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a nightmarish view of what our future could look like - AI controlling every single thing in our lives, robots at our command for our every whim, from cleaning to sex, cars (or Pods) we no longer drive ourselves, making accidents a thing of the past, 3D printers in every home...it sounds perfect, but it's also a world where things could go very wrong.

The story hooked me from the beginning. Well written, it draws you into this almost-perfect world, only to gradually uncover its many hidde
Tanweer Dar
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good Cyberpunk book set in the UK (which itself makes it distinctive). The main characters are crafted expertly and the world-building is on form. Some of the technology is a little far-fetched for my tastes, but it certainly adds to the drama and atmosphere in what is a terrific story with plenty of action and twists and turns.

I especially like the ending, which is very much my kind of thing!

If you like Cyberpunk, robotics/Artificial Intelligence and dark, dystopian thrillers, I

• Cyberpunk City Book One: The Machine Killer
  • Behind Blue Eyes
  • Cyberpunk City Book Two: Anarchy Boyz
  • As I Lay Dying
  • Cyberpunk City Book Three: The Blayze War
  • TRUEL1F3 (Lifelike, #3)
  • What Lies Between Us
  • This Automatic Eden (Cortex #2)
  • The Ravens (The Ravens, #1)
  • Ash Mountain
  • Halloween Season
  • Bullets, Teeth, & Fists 3: 20 exciting, violent, and sometimes heartbreaking short stories of noir and pulp fiction.
  • From the Ashes
  • The Bodiless Arm (Ninth Step Station, #1.2)
  • The Faceless Body (Ninth Step Station, #1.1)
  • A Visit from the Goon Squad
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)