Start by marking “The Silent Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Silent Daughter

The Silent Daughter

'Schoolgirl missing', the ticker reads, and the camera cuts to a girl's face. Blonde hair waterfalling over her shoulders, serious eyes, lips a little parted like she's about to speak. That's when I realize I've been holding my breath, because the gasp when I inhale almost chokes me.

Published May 7th 2020 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Daughter

Start your review of The Silent Daughter
Linda Strong
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sadie Kelly, a teacher at Horton College until last month, has moved back to her childhood town.... staying not not with her family, but with a close friend's mother. Her friend died 10 years ago in circumstances that she's been trying to forget ever since.

On TV news is a report that Devon Hundley, a 16 year old girl attending Horton College has gone missing. Sadie is taken aback .. Devon is the daughter of Philip Hundley ..a man Sadie knows all too well.

Sadie can’t stop thinking about the last
Rach
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Sadie Kelly recently lost her job as teacher at Horton College, the school she went to when she was younger. When Sadie was younger she lost her best friend Fiona on graduation night. Sadie has never got over losing her. Sadie is offered her job back after Devon Hundley a pupil goes missing from Horton College. Sadie knows Phil Huntley, Devon’s father personally.

Things to start to happen to Sadie and the people around her and Sadie is concern what has happened to Devon.

This was book was ok.

Th
Chapters_with_Claire
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very well done, very suspenseful and very gripping. There wasn't a point in the book when I lost interest or I felt it lagging.
There were constant twists and turns in the story that kept me guessing until the very end.
The one thing that I noticed was that this book took place in Connecticut with seemingly American characters, but I could easily see this taking place in the UK instead. I picked up on a few things that I've seen before by British/Irish authors (I've read
Ixxati
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story is told from Sadie's point of view. Sadie grief over the loss of her best friend, Fiona and she blame herself for what happened to Fiona in the past.
Btw I have no idea how this story would end and damn I didn't see that coming at all!

This story is filled with a lot of twists and turns but every twists were told at the end. I mean..it keeps coming till the end lol

Thank you Netgalley for The Silent Daughter ARC!
Elvan
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

A good psychological thriller. Private girls schools are solid choices for grudges and grievances past and present. Sadie Kelly, a disgraced teacher finds herself back teaching at her old Alma mater when a student goes missing. Parallels from the past complicate events in the present.

Nicely done especially for a debut author. Kept me guessing and entertained.
Courtney Stuart
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Fiona and Sadie had been friends for years. From the poor side of town in Connecticut, they created a bond as close as sisters, perhaps more so. Both intelligent, they were awarded scholarships to the fancy private girl's school in the area that catered to the rich families of the region, but they were to remain outsiders, never to be acknowledged by the girls who most obviously belonged to the school. Fast forward a decade or more and Fiona is nothing more than a memory that is painful to Sadie ...more
Linda
May 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
I really wanted to like this book based on the description of the book. Although I didn't hate it, I just didn't love it. I felt too much time was spent on Sadie's inner dialect and repeating many of the same things about her past.

The twists were all shoved in almost at the end, which seemed almost like a rushed ending. I would have liked one or two of the small twists revealed earlier in the book. The characterizations were average and didn't really leave me being thrilled with any of them. It
Crystal Hiatt
Sadie Kelly lost her best friend, Fiona, in high school and still hasn't fully dealt with the loss.
Present day, Sadie has just lost her job at the prestigious Horton College and is living with Fiona's mother (because Sadie and her mother don't get along). She's having trouble finding a new job due to the circumstances of her job loss and has turned to Benzos to help her cope. On top of all that, one of her former students from Horton College has just went missing, and Sadie has a personal tie t
Kelly
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary digital copy of this book from Book Sirens. My unbiased review is voluntary.

“There’s a before, and there’s an after.
There’s always a see-saw moment, the split-second where everything changes.”

The Silent Daughter is a quick read about complicated families held together by secrets and lies. Jan Kennedy visits her deceased daughter’s grave since Fiona’s untimely death. After graduating from Horton, she went off to Stanford while her friend, Sadie Kelly couldn’t wait to mo
Pooja Banga
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2020-releases
The storyline was exceptional and the characters engaging and believable.

I am quite impressed by this book.This story kept me hooked for hours.

**Thankyou Netgalley and publisher for providing me a free copy of the book in exchange for a honest review**
Jacqueline
May 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I think readers will like this book because there are two suspenseful thrillers/mysteries going on at the same time throughout the book. It’s easy to keep them separate though because one is from the past, and the other is currently taking place. It’s not at all confusing because the author did a fantastic job going back and forth from past to present at the perfect times throughout the book. I also think the setting for the book is perfect! A very creepy all girls private school with shadows an ...more
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
The Silent Daughter is the debut novel for Claire Amarti and it is one cracker of a read! I was completely blown away by this haunting tale and I could not get enough of it. It is a story that is full of tension and suspense with twists and turns as secrets and lies are uncovered. Do yourself a favour and add The Silent Daughter to your reading list for 2020. You will not be disappointed.

Claire has crafted a chilling tale that incorporates two storylines that are both told from the point of view
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 CRANKY STARS

Well, this book was a total surprise. It is a fascinating, well-written suspense tale. I was expecting something else, but this was a “can’t put down” read. Mystery abounds and again, I couldn’t figure out who did what. The end was a shock to my investigative mind, as I didn’t see it coming. So, I highly recommend this to readers of mystery and suspense.

The story revolves around Sadie and the boarding school she attended in high school. She is now teaching there. Nothing has chan
emmabbooks
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Absorbing Mystery Thriller

Sadie has lost her teaching job at Horton, a boarding school where she was once a pupil. She has also lost her best friend Fiona, and contact with her mother is scarce. Fortunately Jan is still there, as she always has been. Now a young student at Horton has gone missing, and Sadie seems more worried than would be expected.

There are only a few central characters in this absorbing mystery thriller, however there are plenty of twists and turns, bringing suspense and ten
Billie
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Schoolgirl missing", the ticker reads, and the camera cuts to a girl’s face. Blonde hair waterfalling over her shoulders, serious eyes, lips a little parted like she’s about to speak. That’s when I realize I’ve been holding my breath, because the gasp when I inhale almost chokes me.
Sadie Kelly has lost her job. Until last month, she was a teacher at Horton College – the same high school she went to ten years ago along with her best friend, Fiona. But Fiona died in an accident on their graduation
Dave Wheeler
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What a great book, I loved it right to the start Sadie is a great character far from perfect but no matter how damaged she's still fighting on there but then she has no other choice.

Sadie gets a job at the girls school she was a student then years prior different head but Horton still attractived the cream those who had money and don't mind flaunting it which included their precious children who follow their parents examples. After Sadie is asked to leave not really knowing why, she is then invi
Esther Peacock
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Milham, home town to the main characters Sadie, her best friend Fiona and Jan, her mother.
Past discrepancies, envy, guilt, mental health issues, relationships, family revelations, secrets and affairs all take their place in this story by Claire Amarti.
Sadie and Fiona are former pupils of Horton College, sadly Fiona dies in an accident.
Returning home from travelling the globe, Sadie takes a short-lived position teaching at Horton. She is dismissed due to curriculum differences.
When 16-year-old D
Francis M. Torres
May 07, 2020 rated it liked it

I know your secret.

Sadie Kelly is asked to come back to work at Holton College, which is like a boarding school, for just high school girls. This is the same school she attended years ago with her best friend Fiona, who had passed away when she was a teen. But this time Sadie coming back gives her a different feel, a girl goes missing fitting almost the same description as her late best friend.

I was all over the place with this read, Sadie hearing voices, footsteps, her coworkers acting a little
Gee
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sadie Kelly is living with her dead friends mother, after being asked to leave Horton, the boarding school where she worked. She is also living with a secret that is constantly on her mind, about Fiona, her best friend who died just as they, as scholarship girls, were due to graduate from Horton.

This book deals beautifully with a topic that is never easy to read about, or to write well. Claire writes this so well, with empathy and sensitivity. Boarding schools aren't all full of tuck shops and m
Candace Dean
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a modern take on an old school gothic tale complete with the seemingly innocent governess/ English Lit teacher showing up at an expensive private boarding school with a valise full of secrets. .However, the students have their share of secrets and dark pasts, as well. as every other character in this book. THE SILENT DAUGHTER is a well written intricately woven tale of many people confronting the ghosts of their pasts. when one of these privileged students goes missing.

I really liked mos
Tamsin Preece
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story. Sadie is a teacher who has recently left a job at her old school. Devon Huntley is a student at that school who has just gone missing. This book explores the way in which these two characters are related.

The characterisation in this book is a real strength. All of the characters are believable and well rounded- even those we don't like! The author does a good job of introducing new themes and even when you can see where she is going, the actual reveal is nicely exe
Tamsin Preece
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it

Marcia Meakim
May 19, 2020 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars...kept me engaged and reading late last night. Two mysteries running simultaneously, one from the past and one from the present with so many connections that are all untangled very quickly at the end of the book. Sadie is a teacher at the same girl’s boarding scholarship she attended as a child. She was unhappy as a child attending this school and continues to be unhappy and trying to stay under the radar in the present. I didn’t find the characters to be likable, which is why I rate ...more
Heidi Lynn’s BookReviews
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First, I want to thank Claire Amarti, XpressoBookTours, and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I can bring you this review.

WOW!!! You must read Claire Amarti’s The Silent Daughter!! It had everything that I crave in a psychological thriller! A missing person, oh so many juicy secrets, a taboo affair, stalking, so many twists, turns, and oh so much drama!

For being the first time reading Claire’s work I am an instant fan!! I was drawn to her main storyline however the sideline storylin
Kyra H
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written, captivating book, which I highly recommend. Claire Amarti pulls you into Sadie’s world as you follow the challenges she encounters following her return to teach in the boarding school she had attended as a girl, waiting in suspense to find out the next piece of the mysterious events happening in the present - as well as those haunting Sadie (and other characters) from the past. In the tapestry of telling this story, filled with secrets and unexpected twists and tur ...more
Annemarie
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I must admit that I was surprised to discover that this was a 'first' book by this author.
The Silent Daughter tells a tale we hear too much of in our 'modern' times. A tale of those with the power to do so, preying on those whose lives / careers they could destroy on a whim.
Claire Amati has told this tale with extreme sensitivity. Her characters have all been fleshed out nicely, even the ones you may come to despise and there are enough twists and turns, secrets and surprises to keep the pages t
Leah
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The title of this book caught my attention, I am a sucker for any book that has an air of mystery and secrets. It is always hard to start a new book but this sucked me in from the beginning. The book lead through the life of Sadie, she returns to teach at the boarding school she taught at as a teenager. There is drama at the school and she always alludes to “what she’s done” and the author keeps us guessing about what. She uses flashbacks peppered through the book to unravel the whole story of w ...more
Patricia
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! I read a lot of books and it's not often one takes me by surprise and this one had several surprises and I couldn't predict any of them!

The characters are well thought out and interesting. Human. I felt as if I had so much in common with both Sadie and Fiona, even Jan and Sadie's mother too.

I thoroughly enjoyed the chance to get in depth with the characters and their emotions and reactions as each of the plot twists develop and then untangle.

I highly recommend picking
Anne G. Kasaba
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book had numerous moments of suspense and high tension. The characters almost all had secrets that were integral to the storyline but most were not revealed until almost the end of the story. Despite that the story grabbed me by the throat and was well enough written that the plotting of secret reveals toward the end did not take away from the storyline.

Strange things are happening at the exclusive school that Fiona and Sadie attended as scholarship students. Sadie is now there as a teacher
teresa pogue
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an arc in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed this story. The first half of the book, I could tell that something big was looming. There was a hint of doom/danger that kept building until the story took off. Thats when everything clicked and it all made sense. It went a different direction than I anticipated. The story surprised me so that's a plus. I read a lot so I'm not often surprised. After reading the story, I have one question. Did they ever find Fiona's body? Is she reall ...more

• The Apartment
  • The Guest
  • Little Whispers
  • To Tell You the Truth
  • I Know Your Secret
  • The List
  • The Secret She Kept: She’s dead. Why would she lie?
  • The Murder Game (Stephanie King #2)
  • One Last Step (A Tara Mills Mystery––Book One)
  • The Happy Couple
  • Come Join the Murder
  • Hideaway
  • The Sister-in-Law
  • A Game Called Payback
Hi there! I’m an author who writes suspense stories about ordinary women – women like the ones we all know and love – who find out that their ordinary lives may not be quite so ordinary after all! My hope is that you will root for them, fear for them, and find yourself holding your breath when the action starts to get a little hairy!

When I’m not writing, I can be found strolling the streets of Bro