Start by marking “The Gatewatch” as Want to Read:
The Gatewatch

The Gatewatch

Torin Ten-Trees and his closest companions, Bryn and Grimsa, set out to join The Gatewatch and become trollhunters. When a troupe of meddling dwarves throws them off course they are captured by trolls and taken as prisoners to a secret gathering deep underground. There they learn that an ancient giant has crowned himself king of the trolls and plans to utterly destroy The ...more
Published May 17th 2020 by Crowsnest Books

To ask other readers questions about The Gatewatch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gatewatch

Start your review of The Gatewatch
BookEnds&BagEnds
Undoubtedly one of the most fascinating cultures in European history is that of the Norse.

When thinking of these peoples, it is likely the first image will be of a fearsome, axe-wielding warrior; however, the Norse culture is so much more than just war.

The Gatewatch by Joshua Gillingham is a rousing homage and celebration of the timeless magic that is Norse myth and saga.

In terms of plot, it’s not overly complicated. Still, it is well structured, and the synopsis above gives a fantastic overview
LJ Waguespack
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A strongly written book one on what appears to be a very promising series with infinite possibilities to grow. This book is not exactly what I normally read, but it enticed my curiosity with the characters, summary blurb and the cover. I am a fan, the book encourages thinking while reading, no spoilers here, however, I did appreciate and enjoy the writing. The potential of this series is curious and intriguing enough to me, to absolutely continue reading more by the promising Mr. Joshua Gillingh ...more
Daisy Mae
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Anthony C
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book may be considered fantasy by some, but truly feels more like a saga from the age of early Scandinavian heroes coming to life. The details that went into the world building and personalities is a real treat, especially if you're a fan of Norse myth, Tolkien, or coming of age heroism. The characters feel very real in their biases, actions and how they deal with adversity.

My gosh, what a ride through the mists and mountains (and the world beneath!). I can't wait to see where Torin and
Ian Sharpe
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As riddlesome as Tolkien and a rollicking as Howard, the Gatewatch is a timeless tale from the heart of northern myth.

All manner of creatures, great and small, despicable and delightful turn up to feast - and rhyme - with Torin Ten-Trees and his band of troll hunters.

Enchanting and enthralling in equal measure, the pages are infused with the both the spirit of the Icelandic sagas and the fairytales of the Grimm’s. Try not to get eaten before sun up.
Edward
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Great fun. Lots of Hobbit vibes here.
Alex
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Before touching on my review of this book, I want to say how much I love the cover art from Helena Rosova. It’s eye catching, it gives you an idea about the book before reading, it’s interesting to look back on after reading and it generally really just fits perfectly with the whole vibe of the book. I got a little bit of a Bayeux Tapestry, a little bit of stained glass window, a little bit of Viking art – it sets you up for something decidedly old school, and that’s what we get with The Gatewat ...more
Eric Schumacher
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Torin Ten-Trees and his band of companions, who are bound for Gatewatch, the fort that guards the “civilized” world from the “wilds” and the trolls that live there. Some young men and women, like Torin and his friends, dream of taking their rightful place on the walls of Gatewatch and defending it from the trolls. But in the case of Torin and his friends, their plans go awry.

While I will not provide any spoilers, I will say that the story is fast-paced and well-written, comp
Matthew David
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read—a page-turning adventure from start to finish! I found the pace to be very The Hobbit-esque, with each chapter a new step forward in the story (a good place to start and to stop, if you can put it down). The descriptions of the scenery and the food and drink (the food and drink!) had me totally immersed, and I found the characters’ relationships to be very entertaining and very human. As a lover of fantasy and especially of Norse mythology, this book delivered everything I ...more
David King
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fresh take on a classic adventure story, the Gatewatch warms the heart with moments of nostalgic familiarity and fascinates with its novel world building. Gillingham showcases a mastery of Norse and Icelandic mythology creating a world that encapsulates its readers from the first steps.
Bailey Gillingham
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of adventure! Can’t wait to see what the company gets themselves into in the sequel!
David S Meanderings)
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: norse
RTC
Matt Gillingham
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read from beginning to end! I was even stumped by a few of the riddles. The art, the map, and the setting create a rich backdrop that allows you to slip right into the story. Highly recommend!
Lynne G
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is not a genre I usually read, but by the end of chapter one I was hooked! Such a rich read...exciting twists and turns on each page, well developed characters to root for (or against), riddles to solve, moments of great humor and fun. I cannot wait for the next one...
Kevin Mark
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story -- well-written, interesting characters, and plenty of twists and turns. An engaging and adventurous story that has me interested in becoming a troll hunter!
Sue Bavey
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read a paperback copy of the book, very kindly sent to me by the author, in return for an honest review. Thank you, Joshua!

I thoroughly enjoyed this debut novel by Canadian author Joshua Gillingham.

Torin Ten-Trees and his band of loyal companions are a warm-hearted, likeable bunch of brave, stout-hearted heroes. Their adventures are fun to read and full of exciting fights with trolls, skrimsli (goblins) and encounters with nidavel (dwarves) which take then down into the tunnels beneath the mou
Anna McHaffie
Nov 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
If you enjoy Norse mythology, adventure, or fantasy, then I highly recommend The Gatewatch. This first novel by Joshua Gillingham had me turning page after page in my desire to continue on my journey with Torin and his companions. You'll find these pages filled with dynamic characters, thrilling encounters, and descriptive scenery that will immerse you in this fantastic tale. I'm very much looking forward to the sequel! ...more
Sophie M
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received The Gatewatch by Joshua Gillingham for free in exchange for a honest review. My review is also on my blog - Book, Blog & Candle. (https://www.bookblogandcandle.co.uk/p...)

In The Gatewatch we follow Torin, Bryn and Grimsa, three best friends from noble families on their way to becoming recruits to slay the nefarious trolls. What follows is a story of fun adventures, daring escapades and unexpected bonds.

Torin, Bryn and Grimsa are practically brothers and I really enjoyed their close
J M McQueen
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was gifted to me by the author, tusen takk @JoshMGillingham.

Joshua is a Canadian author and this is his first full-length novel. He’s a talented writer, teacher, game designer and musician. He’s such a talented guy and I’m honoured to know personally.

The Gatewatch is a book about dwarves and trolls and troll hunters and it's absolutely brilliant! It is inspired by Norse Myths and Icelandic Sagas and has the aura of the Shire and Game of Thrones vibes. It’s an ‘epic fantasy adventure’
Fraser Coltman
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I came to this book knowing nothing of Viking stories but found myself drawn in by Gillingham’s engaging characters, excellent use of suspense and vivid, descriptive story telling.

It is an excellent debut novel, and I look forward to the arrival of its sequel.
Kriti | Armed with A Book
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-author
The Gatewatch is an enjoyable tale with magic, friendship, a fantastical world that is old and rooted in Norse mythology. I have been fascinated by Norse mythology for a while and I truly enjoyed that aspect of the story.

Reading experience: Reading experience
The Gatewatch is an epic tale of friendship, meeting beings who are different from us, and living with them. Torin, Bryn and Grimsa are three friends journey to the city of Gatewatch to become trollhunters. Every two years, a competition decides who the new t
Jack
Feb 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Gatewatch by Joshua Gillingham is not a standard modern fantasy. It has a lot more in common with more ‘classical’ fantasy than a lot of what is published today and it brings bucket loads of whimsy and charm to a story that is heavily inspired by Norse mythology.

At its core, it is an adventure story filled with dwarfs, goblins, trolls and giants and a heavy theme of friendship and camaraderie. The story revolves around three friends – Torin Ten-Trees, Bryn Foxfoot, and Grimsa Jarnskald – as
Gordon W Miller
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Gatewatch is an adventurous book about a Norse tale of three men, together on a journey through the mountains, to become troll hunters. The author takes us to an incredible and realistic world. In the great hall of Gatewatch, the three companions feast, drink, and build allies. It will be their home for the next two years. You feel you are on the trail with them as they discover magnificent waterfalls, underground tunnels, even an underground city. The beautifully written and descriptive pro ...more
Kati Felix
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I began reading this tale, I knew I was in for something special. With echoes of Tolkien's work, inspiration from Norse mythology and history, and even the atmosphere of legendary games like Skyrim, The Gatewatch holds up against every facet of ancient and hallowed storytelling.
It is one of those rare stories that leaves you pining after the legends of old. The epic myths, the heroes, the saga-bearers. All reside within the pages of this book. You can sink into this detailed world and live
El
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Gatewatch is a wonderful adventure for all ages of readers! Reminiscent of The Hobbit, a group of friends sets out an a troll hunting adventure. Detailed descriptions make you feel like you are right there with the group - can you solve the riddles with them? They encounter many characters, and unique places along the way, and by the end you will be wanting to read the next book!
Gail Gillingham
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it - One of those books you can't put down once you get into it....my favourite kind! ...more
Em
Samuel Jones
Feb 15, 2021
Who is your favourite character? 1 3 Jul 08, 2020 09:54AM

• The Witch's Heart
  • Forged By Iron (Olaf's Saga Book 1)
  • A Ritual of Bone (The Dead Sagas, #1)
  • In Shadows We Fall
  • Valkyrie: The Women of the Viking World
  • We Are the Dead (The Last War, #1)
  • Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #1)
  • Sword Song (The Saxon Stories, #4)
  • The Half-Drowned King (The Half-Drowned King #1)
  • Paths of the Norseman (The Norseman Chronicles, #2)
  • City of Skies
  • Beyond a Darkened Shore
  • The Burning Land (The Saxon Stories, #5)
  • The Norseman (The Norseman Chronicles, #1)
  • Loki
  • The Winter King (The Warlord Chronicles #1)
  • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
  • Eaters of the Dead
Joshua Gillingham is a Canadian author from Nanaimo, BC. There he enjoys life with his adventurous spouse and their two very unadventurous cats. The Gatewatch was born of his unremitted fascination with Norse Myths and Icelandic Sagas. His lyrical maritime ballad The Queen of the Rose Marie was selected for the Short Story Dispenser Project hosted by Short Édition and his award-winning essay Becom ...more