Start by marking “When the Women Come Out to Dance” as Want to Read:
When the Women Come Out to Dance

When the Women Come Out to Dance (Raylan Givens #3)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  5,003 Ratings  ·  494 Reviews

The New York Times has called Elmore Leonard "the greatest crime writer of our time, perhaps ever." Of course, there's much more to his writing than just crime, and there's no better way to show the broad range of this author's talents than with a collection. It offers variety for diehard fans and is a great sampler for readers who've been looking for the best place to sta

Published November 19th 2002 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about When the Women Come Out to Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Women Come Out to Dance

Bill  Kerwin

This collection of Elmore Leonard's short fiction was originally entitled When the Women Come Out to Dance, but the title was changed to capitalize on its connection to FX's Justified. “Fire in the Hole” is the novella which inspired the series, and was used as the basis for the plot of its first episode. (The series did it justice, but the novella is better.)

At least half the book is taken up with two novellas, the aforementioned “Fire in the Hole” and “Ten Killer”, the tale of a confrontation
Kemper
Reading this collection of Elmore Leonard short stories was kind of like going to a family reunion and having your mother give you running commentary on all the people you haven‘t seen a while. "Remember Carl Webster from The Hot Kid ? That’s his grandson Ben. He’s trying to run some redneck squatters off the family farm. And there’s Karen Sisco! Why, I haven’t seen her since she was chasing that bank robber in Out of Sight . Raylan Givens over there has his very own TV show now. We’re all so pr ...more
Jim
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fantastic collection of short stories, it starts out with a couple of short sketches that are more interesting than they should be for what they are. Leonard's writing really shines as he manages to use a short scene to paint entire people & years of history.

Other stories include the one on which the TV series Justified is based & one with Karen Sisco, another interesting marshal. Plus plenty more, including 2 that I had previously read in his western stories. They were just as good t
Guy Portman
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This compilation, consisting of 9 short stories, is named after its longest title, Fire In The Hole, the inspiration for the television series Justified. It begins with a Kentucky-based Nazi called Boyd blowing up a church with a grenade launcher. When US Marshal Raylan arrives to investigate, he becomes reacquainted with Ava, an old school friend. Ava has recently killed her husband, Boyd’s brother.

Vengeful Colombian mail order brides are the subjects of When the Women Come Out to Dance. The ap
Eric
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Justified
This review is solely on 'Fire in the Hole', the only story I've read in the collection so far.

I've wanted to read 'Fire in the Hole' since I started watching Justified, which is one of my favorite shows on television now. So when I saw the short story collection it was in at a book sale for a dollar, it was an easy decision to make (despite my repeatedly telling myself not to buy more books while I have so many sitting at home unread).

I loved the hell out of this story, even after knowing the b
Sophia
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vyzantia Pyriohou Guy
Τι ωραία ιστορία! Μικρή, περιεκτική και με ανατροπή στο τέλος που σε αφήνει "κάγκελο". Σημειώνω τον συγγραφέα και θα ψάξω και άλλα του έργα. Πραγματικά ενθουσιάζομαι όταν δεν μπορώ να προβλέψω που το πάει και τι θα γίνει. Σαν μια καλή ταινία με αγωνία και αιφνιδιασμό!

Για την κατηγορία: B.R.A.CE. 2017 ένα βιβλίο που επέλεξες ως δώρο για κάποιον άλλο
Mimi
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 out of 5 stars

After finishing this short story collection, I now understand why Elmore Leonard is considered a classic in contemporary Western. He's a skilled writer of viable dialogues that keep his stories moving forward even when there isn't much happening.

Leonard's style can be described simply as punchy because it can pack a punch and punctuate a seemingly simple story with lots of undertones. His writing might look like straight-forward pulp fiction, but there's a sense of "literary lite
Eric_W
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: miscellaneous
A collection of really excellent (well, most of them) stories by Elmore Leonard. My favorites were the collection titled story, "Fire in the Hole" that provided much of the background and basis for the "Justified" TV series (very good, btw.) "Karen Makes Out" was lots of fun. Karen is a U.S. Marshal who has been smitten by Carl, a man wanted (they think) by the FBI for bank robbery. How she deals with it is delightful, indeed. Shades of Raylan in that girl. "Hurrah for Captain Early" provides a ...more
Cathy DuPont
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars, absolutely four solid stars.

The title story, When Women Come Out to Dance the last story along with two other stories I would rate higher but the remaining (and majority) short stories, three and four stars.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate a list of the title of the nine stories otherwise I would know their names but it matters not, they were all fun. A couple of them just turned me upside down with a big "Huh????" "What? Lemme think a minute."

So silly us...while we're
RandomAnthony
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goddamn, Fire in the Hole is smart fun. I'm not much of a short story reader but Leonard's short stories are the perfect length, almost like well-told bar stories or the best of popcorn movies. The title story (the genesis of the Justified tv show) makes me want to kiss my fingers and say "perfect" like a French waiter or something. Leonard was a treasure. There's not a bad story in the bunch. The only problem is the book's length, 162 short pages that make me want to bang myself on the head wit ...more
Tim Orfanos
Ο Λέναρντ αποτελεί ιδιαίτερη περίπτωση συγγραφέα αστυνομικής λογοτεχνίας: καταφέρνει με έναν άκρως δημιουργικό τρόπο να συνδυάζει τη 'νουάρ' ατμόσφαιρα με το μαύρο χιούμορ χωρίς να κινδυνεύει να χαθεί η σοβαρότητα των ιστοριών του - ένα στοιχείο το οποίο ενδεχομένως θα ζήλευαν οι αδελφοί Κόουν και ο Κουέντιν Ταραντίνο.

Το συγκεκριμένο διήγημα (2002) επιλέχθηκε ανάμεσα στα καλύτερα αμερικάνικα αστυνομικά διηγήματα για το 2003 και θα μπορούσαμε να πούμε ότι αποτελεί μια παραβολή για την ανθρώπινη
Jamie
Every time I read this— which is a lot, a lot— there’s another familiar face I’m thrilled to see. It’s like family. And while I’ve always got this handy to flip to whatever story I feel like, now and then, I just have to get all the kids together and read it front to back. This time, it was “Hurrah for Capt. Early” that grabbed me more than it has before.

Damn, these stories are the best. The best.

- - -

May 2010: Mmm-hmmm.

Felt like taking this everywhere with me today and for the record that’s ne
Collin Henderson
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I might be the only person on here who read the original version, when the women come out to dance, but I'd be lying if I said I approached this book for any other reason than "fire in the hole." I'll keep my discussion of that story brief. it's great.

The rest of the stories are fun as well, and many deal with previously established characters, such as Karen sisco, who, we find out in this book, has always had a thing for older men who are also criminals. It's bite sized chunks of Leonard, with
William
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ebook When you open up a familiar package you expect the contents to be the same. This what I experienced in the third segment of Raylan Givens. It was a bonus for me because I could see the characters from the tv series.
Lynn G.
My reaction to this volume of short stories was rather unexpected. I liked it. I had not expected to. Recently I had begun to read another book by Elmore Leonard Raylan Raylan by Elmore Leonard and had disliked it intensely. Couldn't finish it. However, since I belong to a face-to-face book group that is reading books by Elmore Leonard for this month, I wanted to at least try another book by the author so I had something to offer during discussion. I decided that the least daunting approach to the dilemma was to choos ...more
Tom V
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
God Bless Elmore Leonard, and rest in peace, Dutch. These little collected stories have been on display before in an earlier paste-up called When the Women Came Out to Dance (I believe that's the title.)

Nevertheless, if you want to see what it's like to get inside the head of one of the last fifty years' greatest authors, then do yourself a service and dive on in. Leonard's prose is so true-to-story, and so "right" for the telling of his story, that I sit and wonder in amazement,"How does he DO
David Williams
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
First book in the Year of Elmore Leonard. This is a collection of short stories that cover both the crime and western genres. There are some familiar names here. A fun Karen Sisco story and a story about the grandson of Carl Webster. The highlight for many will be the Raylan Givens story "Fire in the Hole." This is the story that inspired the FX series Justified. This is classic Leonard writing and is a pleasure to read. You could read this book straight through and then come back and just savor ...more
Charles
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
This is a collection of nine stories by Leonard, including "Fire in the Hole," which was what the TV series Justified was based on. That's really the reason I bought the book, but I liked best the final piece, a novella length work called "Tenkiller." "The Tonto Woman" is also very good, and the only one I'd really call a western. The rest are mostly crime tales. No clinkers in the bunch but these three were the best to me.
Kathy
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew I liked watching the series Justified, though I had not cottoned to one book by this author, so I checked out this collection of shorts to give him another try. I really enjoyed these short stories and took time with them. Raylan does make a memorable appearance, but there is good variety to be found here with interesting characters and events.
Still
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you know who you are or who you emulate

Purchased the original collection when it was called "When The Girls Come Out To Dance'.
I was 3 0r 4 novellas into this before I realized I owned the original anthology despite delighting in the short stories once again.
It's Elmore Leonard.
It's brillaint.
The fogggggg you want out of life?

Recommended to Elmore Lenonard fetishists.

Kate Simmons
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This the short story that spawned the FX series, Justified. It is almost word-for-word the pilot episode (with a notable difference at the end), and the show has done a great job staying true to the tone of the original story.
M.J. Johnson
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
These short stories are deliciously entertaining, great characterisations, lean prose, not a word out of place. Great fun to read.
wally
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leonard
this must be the 5th...6th...or 7th from leonard for me...stories.

contents
the extras
sparks
hanging out at the buena vista
chickasaw charlie hoke
when the women come out to dance
fire in the hole
karen makes out
hurrah for capt. early
the tonto woman
tenkiller

then it has an "about the author"..."also by elmore leonard"...credits...copyright...about the publisher...that i'm tempted to look at now...my curiosity is aroused...could be some racy details there...nah

the extras
i dunno...on this kindle i'm readi
Audra
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
When the Women Come Out to Dance is a book of short stories. Each story felt like a TV show that you happen upon when channel surfing and you keep watching because there's nothing else on and you just decide you want to see how the show ends.

The stories are well-written, but just not the type of stories I like to read.
Kathy
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
This was my first ever Elmore Leonard, which I decided to read because of a recent addiction to the TV series "Justified," which Leonard produces. The stories in this book were enjoyable -- wry, knowing, atmosphere heavy, streetwise, often ironic and funny. The story "Fire in the Hole" and "Tenkiller" are the best, but the others were also engaging. I'm ready for more Elmore Leonard!
James Cage
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book of short stories. Vivid, memorable characters (many having appeared in Elmore Leonard's other books). "When the Women Come Out to Dance" is a good example of how an excellent short story with a twist.
Justin
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read Elmore Leonard before but didn't fully appreciate his writing until watching the show Justified. That FX series, starring Timothy Olyphant as a Kentucky US marshal who is as almost as much of an outlaw as the criminals he hunts, is... okay. In four seasons it's had some great moments, and for my money, many of them, if not the majority of them, come during the very first few episodes, when the teleplays were still heavily based on already-existing Leonard stories. From there, the write ...more
Clay
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I picked up Fire in the Hole as part of a Kindle bundle on an Elmore Leonard kick after getting addicted to the FX TV series Justified based on Leonard's character Raylan Givens. Fire in the Hole was the last book in the bundle and I'd put it off for a bit. Turns out Fire in the Hole was a collection of Leonard's short stories rather than a complete Raylan Givens novel. Oh well, it turned out being pretty good.

There wasn't much of a theme to the selection of stories: a few modern tales of reveng
Rhonda Browning White
I selected this collection; first, because I'd never read Elmore Leonard's work and know so many love it, and second, because I wanted to read "Fire in the Hole", the short story on which one of my favorite series, "Justified", is based. Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed.

The stories were good, in and of themselves. I particularly liked the title story, "When the Women Come Out to Dance," and "Tenkiller" was another good one. However, the language in the stories left me wanted, as did--
Nathália
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I bought this book to read The Tonto Woman. I loved the idea behind the story and wanted to see what Elmore Leonard could do with it. And it was pretty good. Not my favorite, but it was worth it. (this was based on a true story, more informations on the EL website)

So, the other ones.

Well, i read the ebook version, a good one, with extras about many other books by the author, movies, an interview with Martin Amis and the famous 10 rules of writing. Great stuff.

I think i have 2 favorites in this
Eclectic Readers: When the Women Come Out to Dance 1 8 Apr 25, 2012 01:48PM
  • The Outfit (Parker, #3)
  • The Convict and Other Stories
  • The Night and the Music
  • La solitudine del manager
  • In the Loyal Mountains
  • Sourland
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • Poachers
  • A Touch of Greed (Nick Bracco Thriller #3)
  • The Angel on the Roof
  • Brimstone (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #3)
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Blue Religion: New Stories about Cops, Criminals, and the Chase
  • The Friends of Eddie Coyle
  • One Man, One Murder
  • Bad Chili
  • Ladies and Gentlemen
  • Welcome to Paradise (Key West, #7)
  • A Time to Stand
Elmore John Leonard lived in Dallas, Oklahoma City and Memphis before settling in Detroit in 1935. After serving in the navy, he studied English literature at the University of Detroit where he entered a short story competition. His earliest published novels in the 1950s were westerns, but Leonard went on to specialize in crime fiction and suspense thrillers, many of which have been adapted into m ...more
More about Elmore Leonard

Raylan Givens (5 books)
  • Pronto
  • Riding the Rap
  • Elmore Leonard Raylan Givens 3-Book Collection: Pronto, Riding the Rap, Fire in the Hole (Raylan Givens #1-3)
  • Raylan

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
    $9.24 $1.99
  • The Golden Notebook
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Ten Thousand Saints
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
  • The Secret Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99
“I thought I explained it to you. Boyd and I dug coal together.” 5 likes
“Boyd looked at him now like he was trying to decide something in his mind.
“You’d shoot me, you get the chance?”
“You make me pull,” Raylan said, “I’ll put you down.”
1 likes