Start by marking “The Stranger Times” as Want to Read:
The Stranger Times

The Stranger Times

There are Dark Forces at work in our world (and in Manchester in particular) and so thank God The Stranger Times is on hand to report them. A weekly newspaper dedicated to the weird and the wonderful (but more often the weird) of modern life, it is the go-to publication for the unexplained and inexplicable . . .

At least that’s their pitch. The reality is rather less auspic
Expected publication: January 14th 2021 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stranger Times

Start your review of The Stranger Times
Sandy
So…..clearly I need more supervision. Once again, I blew right past a stack of long suffering TBR’s & went for a bright & shiny new ARC. In my defence, it is the latest from Caimh McDonnell (don’t be fooled by that “C. K.” business). Just a heads-up for fans: we’re not in Dublin anymore.

Welcome to Manchester. And a whole new cast of colourful, odd, rude & entertaining characters. The prologue also signals a new genre. This is a mash-up of sci-fi, mystery, fantasy & mythology, served with a side
Sandy
May 13, 2020 marked it as to-read
I got a sneak peak at a sampler for the first in a new series for this author, centred around a newspaper called The Stranger Times. From an article about a toilet in a pub that was possessed by the devil (hey, it could happen...):

"The commode, having previously spent nineteen years at the property providing the expected normal services has recently branched out into issuing ominous predictions, lifestyle advice and shortbread recipes".

Oh yeah. I'm in.

Nick
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Please find my review for The Stranger Times by C K McDonnell. ...more
Natalie
Aug 18, 2020 marked it as dnf
Not for me, but I can see other people enjoying this.
Kelly
Oct 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
A humorous urban fantasy. Hannah is desperate for a job when she stumbles into a converted church, now home to ‘The Stranger Times’, a newspaper of the weird and wonderful - think The Quibbler of Harry Potter in terms of stories. The paper appears to have its readership although the staff are few and the church dilapidated. Whilst trying to get the hang of her new job, the paper starts investigating a couple of unexplained deaths, and then things get pretty weird. Could some of the weird stories ...more
Lauren
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story is a mixture of multiple things I love: magic, mayhem, weird news and publishing. It follows a group of journalists from The Stranger Times, a publication designed to chronicle the strange and supernatural, as they discover that there might actually be truth hiding inside the nonsense they print.

McDonnell possesses a brilliant sense of humour (I was was laughing from the very first chapter) and he combines it well with the intrigue of the plot and the distinct personalities of the cha
Niamh
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Netgalley and & Random House UK for an arc of this book :)

"The Stranger Times" by C.K. McDonnell is a wonderfully comedic urban fantasy.

If you're a fan of The River of London series, you'll love The Stranger Times.

Set in Manchester, we follow a group of hilarious main characters who are all slightly eccentric. The plot follows this group of people investigating "strange happenings" in their newspaper; "The Stranger Times".

We first meet MC, Hannah, who's having a bit of a rough go of
Xenia
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this review copy. An enjoyable first novel in a new fantasy series.
Danny Farham
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s bonkers, it’s hilarious and it’s gripping. I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys humour, fantasy and stories with characters that jump from the page. The banter between the eccentric characters was brilliant and I was sad when I finished he book. I’m praying that this is the beginning of a new series as there is so many ways the series could expand.
Great stuff.
Paul Sparks
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is funny, it has been a long time since I really laughed whilst reading and I would like to thank the author for giving me those spontaneous moments (although my wife now thinks I need placing in care as I am obviously senile) it is reminiscent of terry practhett at his best, I’m not going to bore you with a synopsis or a critique of this book just know it is very good and so funny 😂😂 highly enjoyable and highly recommended
Nuria
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well-written dialogues with Caimh's characteristic sarcasm and wit. Every chapter eagers the reader to keep reading and discover what in the hell is going on in this new strange world that Caimh McDonnell has created for us.
Matt Merritt
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My thanks to Netgalley and Random House for providing an Arc copy of the book in return for an honest review.

C. K. (Caimh) McDonnell first came to my notice with his self-published and entirely engaging Bunny McGarry novels. The mix of well written crime stories with a heap of humour that somehow always added to, and never distracted from, the narrative made him mmediately stand out.
The Stranger Times is the first in a new series of novels taking a new set of characters on a pretty fantastic jo
Kelly
Oct 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sean Graham
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Normally i[m not a fan of books that are set in places that I know well and so was concerned that this novel being set in Manchester was going to distract for me...I could not be more wrong. This is like the lovechild of Jim Butcher and Ben Aaronovitch got together, decided to jib off the detective part and instead set a new story in a Manchester newspaper dedicated to 'alternative news' shall we say. Brilliant characters, great world setup and a fast paced plot kept me hooked, so much so i'm al ...more
Lindsay
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of this author and have read all previous books.
I wanted to read this book and happy to pick this up, it took me a while to get into the story as I couldn’t read the articles between chapters which confused me but aside from that the story is engaging and entertaining. Helps its in my own hometown too so i could hear the accents in my head.
Hannah is a woman looking for a new life after leaving her husband she interviews at The Stranger Times a newspaper that features stories both weir
Lindsay
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of this author and have read all previous books.
Serena Coleman
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley for providing a ARC of this novel in exchange for a fair review.

I loved this book, so much more to it than I was expecting from the blurb.
Hannah is our unfortunate main character, having to restart her life in Manchester having left an unhappy marriage, and London, behind her. Hannah is unqualified for anything it seems, but somehow stumbles into a job that no one else wants at The Stranger Times. A newspaper dealing with the strange and unusual, including reports of ali
Amber Wendy
Sep 30, 2020
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Oct 16, 2020

• The Devil and the Dark Water
  • Moonflower Murders (Susan Ryeland #2)
  • The Other People
  • Dead Man in a Ditch (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #2)
  • The Martian Chronicles
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • Cursed Britain: A History of Witchcraft and Black Magic in Modern Times
  • The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1)
  • The Eighth Detective
  • Alice Teale is Missing
  • O Mar de Ferro (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo, #8)
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
  • The Art of Dying: A Ray Hanley Crime Thriller
  • THE ANGEL FALLS: Introducing DC Ryan Jarrod in a gripping Tyneside crime mystery (Ryan Jarrod Series Book 1)
  • The Hollow Ones
  • The Last Smile in Sunder City (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #1)
  • Pivot (Jack Harper Trilogy, #1)
  • Starve Acre