Start by marking “Don't Tell a Soul” as Want to Read:
Don't Tell a Soul

Don't Tell a Soul

Stay up all night with this modern day Rebecca! Perfect for fans of Truly Devious—a haunting story about a new girl in an old town filled with dark secrets . . . that might just kill her.

People say the house is cursed.
It preys on the weakest, and young women are its favorite victims.
In Louth, they're called the Dead Girls.

All Bram wanted was to disappear—from her old life,
Published January 26th 2021 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Don't Tell a Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Tell a Soul

Start your review of Don't Tell a Soul
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
"In the dark, it made no difference if my eyes were open or shut."

Do you enjoy YA novels that lean more toward the mature side of writing, ones that are dark and eerie yet beautifully written with a powerful message? Then Don't Tell a Soul is the gothic novel for you! There are subtle similarities between this book and Rebecca, but more so via appreciative retelling rather than anything malicious like outright plagiarism. The plot feels two-fold; there's a focus on the mystery behind her family'
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ghosts lurking around the gothic mansion where three women from different eras had died because the place haunts the weakest young women by taking their souls.

And another troubled young girl named Bram, outcast, forced to leave NY because of accusations against her, estranged with her own mother who denies to believe her moves to uncle James’ eerie mansion located in Louth: a tiny town on the Hudson River to live with him temporarily!

But the permanent spiritual night time visitors of the house
Sheena
Bram moves to a creepy manor that is supposedly cursed. Not a new concept but still one of my favorites to read. This reminded me of a lot of Riley Sager’s Home Before Dark which I absolutely loved but I thought there were a little bit too many similarities. Comparing those similarities would be spoilers so I won’t go into those but if you’ve read both books you will know what I’m talking about.

I really liked that even though this is targeted as a young adult book, there are themes of female emp
Erin A. Craig
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Delicious and dark, this is a gothic haunting for the modern age. It sank its teeth deep. I will be haunted by the Dead Girls of Louth for a long time to come.
Montzalee Wittmann
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Don't Tell a Soul by Kirsten Miller is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. As I read this book I truly forgot I was reading and not actually experiencing this story! The author presented the world so complete that I felt, heard, and experienced everything that the main character was going through. Terrific job!
Wonderful, well developed characters and plenty of tension, plus unpredictable situations and possible outcomes kept me entranced!
Our gal is sent to live with h
Tessa
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK SCARED THE HECK OUTTA ME

⭐⭐⭐⭐.5 Stars!

Don't Tell a Soul lends itself as part ghost story, part suspense, and as an avid reader of both I was *highly* satisfied.

Here we follow Bram, a troubled teen with a spotty past, one parent in the grave, and a terrible reputation in her wake. When her mother sends her away from the city to live her with her estranged uncle in the Manor where a fire previously took his own wife and sickened her daughter. But the town of Louth is full of secrets, and
Brenda Feinen
Feb 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
"Nothing will change if we stay quiet."

Bram is forced out of New York City. Escaping her mother, Bram's only choice is her Uncle James.
Years before, James bought the old manor in Louth, NY - a very small community on the Hudson.
The manor is shrouded in legend - Grace Louth's suicide, missing young women- the Dead Girls.
A few months prior, James' step daughter Lark sents fire to a wing, placed in a hospital for mental health issues.
Bram knows Lark doesn't have issues- though she has never met
Lady H
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
wow that was so freaking good omg???? i gotta get my thoughts together and write a proper review because i LOVED this
M.  [storme reads a lot]
I love the cover and the idea. Truly Devious was one of my fav reads of last year. I was more than eager to jump straight into this book as well.

I am sad it did not meet my expectations in the end, but it was not a bad book overall. Bram is in a small town after her father dies, meeting her uncle and seeing how small town life is full of secrets and whatnot.

I thought this was going to be more along the lines of Truly Devious, but this falls short of the mystery and shock factor that series has
Cesar
Feb 19, 2021 rated it liked it
3 stars.

Ever read that book where you think it's one thing and turns out it's completely different than what you had originally thought? It happened to me with Don't Tell a Soul. And not in a good way.

The first half, while having some issues, really made me invested in the story with the creepy atmosphere of the setting as well as the winter backdrop of a small town. Two of my favorite things coming together made the first half a creepy experience.

During the second half, however, things started
Caitlyn DeRouin
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Trigger Warnings: Mentions of parental death, mentioned death of grandparents, death (by suicide, fire), mentions of suicide (drowning), mentions of mental illness (nondescript, a character was committed, another character went to rehab), house fire, underage drinking and drug use, mentions of alcoholism, drug addiction, overdose, attempted rape, neglectful parenting, mentions of physical abuse, mentions of pedophilia, murder

This book was absolutely wild. It starts off as a ghost story, but it's
Fatirah Murtaza
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.8

Recommend me a book that can get you back into reading or a book that can get you out of your reading slump. I’ll start first.

- Don’t Tell A Soul is a kind of book that made me forget I was actually reading it. With a simple use of language driven by a riveting multi-layered story, it’s easy for me to get absorbed into the story and have a TV playing inside my head. I finished this book within a day and I’m ready to recommend this book to anyone who wants to start reading a horror book (begi
Andreas Aristodemou
Mar 01, 2021 rated it liked it
I was between three and four stars

This book was a fast read. The author wrote it beautifully, and wasn't one of those that tried to overdo it and sound cool. Not too much effort. It felt like a campfire story, you know, you were sitting down with friends and someone was telling you a scary story.

The book goes from "The haunting of the hill house", to "You", to "Home before dark"

I know it is an odd combination, but it did kinda work. I would prefer to be honest if it stayed at one genre, rath
Aly
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Fun, twisty thriller!

I read this with a buddy and it was so difficult to only read a couple chapters a day. There were creepy things happening and so many questions. This is really a story about several girls and their experiences at the manor and I was hooked from the beginning.

Bram has had a rough time lately and has been sent to live with her uncle. As soon as she arrives, she's drawn in to the tragedies of three girls and starts to look into what truly happened. There are unexplained noise
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
I was expecting a creepy thriller but this was just MEH.
Merve K
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! 4.5⭐
Emily
TOO MUCH GOING ON. Also the trope of The Plot Only Exists Because the Characters Are Keeping Secrets. And every question/mystery seems like a rumor or lie so you can't believe one way or the other.

Bram leaves her mom's house to move in with her uncle who bought a creepy manor. (Q #1 why did she move? Why doesn't her mom trust her? Well you don't find out for 150 pages... when she just plain tells you.)
The manor caught fire. (Q #2 how was the fire set/by whom?), and it's rumored that the manor is
Kayleigh
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

“Waiting for me in the distance was the house. It seemed even more massive than I remembered. Three stories of stone crawling with ivy, with a dozen dark windows on every floor. Two wings branched off a central hall. I knew one wing had recently been destroyed in a fire, but from where I stood, it was impossible to tell which one was damaged. The snow had stitched the house back together. It sat there, still and silent. I had the sense it was watching, like a camouflaged beast stalking
Erin
Dec 31, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, almost 4

Note: I was provided with a free ARC by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions here are my own.

The creepy atmosphere Miller creates in this book harkens back to the gothic classics of du Marier and the Brontë sisters. Though the prose, voice, and style may feel a little old-fashioned, this story is wholly contemporary. Women aren't rivals. Instead, they are support networks, and they work tirelessly in a world where women's stories are d
Brit
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book left me speechless. This book read super fast and i was on the edge of my seat the whole time while reading. It was 60% in when i was piecing everything together. I feel like this should be a movie because thats how it played out in my head. But over all i highly enjoyed the creepy atmosphere of the story. And the so called haunted mansion
Rachael
Feb 13, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads
I received this as a free ARC on netgalley.

This wintery, gothic story is going to be right up the alley for YA thriller fans.

What starts out as a classic ghost story quickly evolves into a stressful, high tension mystery. We have Bram Howland, our seventeen year old protagonist, thrown into the middle of a wolf den of suspicious locals and her own haunted uncle, James. And even worse, Bram is escaping her own devastating past that continues to follow her everywhere.

I'll start out by saying that
The Reading Raccoon
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-as-an-arc
Don‘t Tell A Soul by Kirsten Miller is a contemporary young adult gothic mystery about a girl who flees Manhattan for her uncle’s mansion in the Hudson Valley. But the house has tragic tales of injured, dead and missing women and girls attached to it and the locals in the small town don’t trust Bram or her uncle.

This is feminist spin on an old idea (estranged uncle + creepy mansion + suspicious townsfolk) but Bram isn't your normal damsel in distress. She refuses to believe in ghosts and thinks
Katherine Paschal
Feb 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Bram is on her way to stay with her beloved yet distant uncle in his up and coming Inn in a small town, basically in exile for her actions over the last few years and since her mother wants her away. But it seems that Bram just landed in the middle of a new unfortunate circumstance when she finds her uncle not exactly as she remembers him, a mystery of a mentally ill girl and a house that has a ghostly past of its own.

This was totally different from what I was anticipating, and I mean that in a
Maria F.
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A gothic mansion. A cold winter town. Mysterious deaths. A mystifying mural. And one girl on a mission to find the dark truth that could possibly kill her.
This book was so addicting, enthralling, heart-pounding and suspenseful. I found myself staying awake to finish- I could feel the tension through the pages and it was honestly brilliant.
This book follows our protagonist Bram- a “troubled” teenager who has been sent to live with her uncle after some unfortunate circumstances in her hometown
Onc
Meaghan - H&WR
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
DISCLAIMER: I received an eARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

EXPECTED JANUARY 26TH, 2021

4.5 STARS

Most characters run from ghosts, but Bram Howland runs toward them.

Fleeing Manhattan and the controlling grip of her mother, Bram heads to Louth to stay with her Uncle James in his half-burned mansion. In the wake of a house fire that killed his wife, a house fire apparently set by his step-daughter, he’s not the uncle that Bram remembers. Without her uncle’s help,
Mike
Feb 27, 2021 rated it it was ok
Where to start
•The story is unbelievable
•The book itself is very slow to the point I was feeling tired and fed up reading it.
•There were a few times I was going to quit finishing it but i made it to the end
•It took me 3 hours to read the last 40 pages (no joke)it was that bad.

If you still want to read this book I'd only read it when you've nothing else to read.
Amanda Cresse
Feb 03, 2021 rated it liked it

A mansion full of ghosts -- all young women who have disappeared while living there -- and now Bram is living in the rose room (their bedroom in the mansion) trying to solve the mystery.
A spooky read that feels familiar...
Zac
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
3.5 Stars
Ngl I was enticed by the cover but I'm so happy it turned out well. The rating could have been higher but I'm just nitpicking on the few plot holes.
Alyssa
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was ok
Katie
Feb 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Creepy and fast paced and so enjoyable
« previous 1 3 4 next »
YA and Wine: Don't Tell A Soul 4 8 Feb 15, 2021 01:07PM

• What Big Teeth
  • This Is Not a Ghost Story
  • Unchosen
  • Every Single Lie
  • The Initial Insult (The Initial Insult, #1)
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • A Dowry of Blood
  • Revenge of the Sluts
  • The Project
  • The Secrets We Kept
  • The Burning Girls
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
  • Malice
  • The Obsession
  • Into the Heartless Wood
  • The Searcher
  • A Universe of Wishes: A We Need Diverse Books Anthology
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information. ...more

News & Interviews

“You sure you won’t get lost?”
I pulled my phone out of my pocket. “GPS,” I said. “No one ever gets lost anymore.”
0 likes