Start by marking “Midtown Huckster (Alex Cohen, #3)” as Want to Read:
Midtown Huckster (Alex Cohen, #3)

Midtown Huckster (Alex Cohen, #3)

Can you keep your gelt and freedom when the cops have enough evidence to take you down?

Kindle Edition
Published July 16th 2020 by Sobriety Press

To ask other readers questions about Midtown Huckster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midtown Huckster

Start your review of Midtown Huckster (Alex Cohen, #3)
Colin Garrow
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Working with mobster Lucky Luciano, Jewish gangster Alex Cohen needs to find a new way to make money. But when his boss is nabbed for racketeering, Alex is also arrested for tax evasion. Faced with saving himself or his friends, he must make a difficult decision – and the repercussions either way could be devastating.

This is the third book in Leopold Borstinski’s Alex Cohen series, charting the rise of an immigrant into the Jewish New York mob. Having read the first volume, I thought I knew what
Jacqueline  sharp
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book three in this brilliant series, it’s the end of prohibition, meaning that Alex Cohen and the other mobsters he is working with have to look for other ways to make money, after all once alcohol is legal the regulars won’t be going to the speakeasy’s and drinking their watered down liquor.

Alex is still trying to make it bigger in the mob, constantly trying to get more money, but when is enough enough? His wife Sarah doesn’t want a reconciliation, he gets to see the boys when he can which is n
Mandie
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Midtown Huckster is the third book in the Alex Cohen series, and I can honestly say that I am really enjoying following Alex as he continues to try to stay ahead of the game in 1930’s New York. This time the story picks up just as prohibition is ending so Alex and the syndicate are looking to find new ways to ensure that their income does not diminish.
With his personal life going nowhere Alex now has more time to devote to his business interests, including being an integral part of the Murder Co
Jay Williams
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The exciting story of Alex Cohen continue as he works with well-known gangsters to continue his life of crime. His relationship to his wife and family suffer, but he has several jobs as a board member for Murder Corporation. The writing is smooth and makes for an easy read while providing good mental images. I enjoyed the criminal activity and the inerplay between the mobsters.
Johnny Worley
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alex Jones
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd slice of historical Noir from Leopold Borstinski as he continues his series about Alex Cohen, a Jewish mob boss.

Now into the 30s, this story brings the tale of the newly formed Murder Corporation Syndicate, now headed up by Alex, a small group of gangsters who now carry out hits on behalf of all the other crime families.

With prohibtion coming to an end, Alex and his gang, need to spread their wings and find other ways of earning the 'Gelt' now their trade in bootleg Alcohol and s
Sue
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Welcome to the third adventure in the historical noir Alex Cohen series, Midtown Huckster.

When we last met Alex, he had become a great success in organised crime circles, rubbing shoulders with some very big names, running booze during Prohibition, and heading up the Murder Inc. operation for Lucky Luciano. However, his marriage had fallen victim to the amount of time and attention he spent on his nefarious work undertakings, his penchant for "skirt", and the lies he told - not to mention the da
Emma
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
All of my reviews can be found at https://damppebbles.com/

I received a free eARC of Midtown Huckster but that has in no way influenced my review.

Jewish gangster and thug, Alex Cohen, is back! And he’s bigger and badder than ever. He’s a killing machine and the reader really shouldn’t like him….but it’s hard not to. I thoroughly enjoyed Midtown Huckster which focuses on Cohen’s life in 1930s New York. The end of prohibition, the end of his marriage to Sarah and the end of….well, I won’t spoil it
Rowena Andrews
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, thriller
Midtown Huckster is the third book in the Alex Cohen series. While it can certainly be read as a standalone, this is a series that is going from strength to strength, and there are little details and elements of the context that are stronger for reading the rest of the series, and you get to see how Alex has reached the point he’s now at.
Once again and showing a reoccurring strength on the side of the author, it is the historical elements of this book that made me fall in love with the story.
Surjit Parekh
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing

1930s Jewish gangster, Alex Cohen runs Murder Inc for Lucky Luciano. After the death of Prohibition he must find a new way to make money, just as the cops are baying at his heels. When Luciano goes down for racketeering, Alex loses his protection and is arrested for tax evasion–he must decide between saving his skin and ratting out his friends.

If he chooses prison time then his gang will fall apart and he will
Sharon Rimmelzwaan
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Midtown Huckster by Leopold Borstinski, is the third book in the series about Alex Cohen, a historical noir novel which from the first book, envelopes you with the early days of the Jewish New York mobsters and the shady activities involved.
In Midtown Huckster, Alex is attempting to find fresh new ways to make money due to Prohibition. Although he is part of a Murder Corporation(nice huh?!), that basically carries out hits on whoever has wronged the syndicate, it is just not regular enough for h
Yvonne
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the Alex Cohen series and I having been enjoying it so much. This book follows on from the previous books and while you could read them as a stand-alone I would advise reading in order.

Set in 1930’s New York as prohibition is coming to an end and as President Hoover forms the Federal Bureau to investigate tax evasion and bringing the profiteers to justice.

As I mentioned, this story follows on from the previous books, these include Alex’s arrival in New York and his Jewi
Neats
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm absolutely loving the Alex Cohen series by Leopold Borstinski and I couldn't wait to dive back in to find out what was next on the cards for this exciting character.

Prohibition is coming to an end and Alex needs to find new ways to earn money. He's a member of the ominously titled Murder Corporation, carrying out hits on whoever the syndicate feels has wronged them, but he also needs a more regular source of income.

At the same time, his private life is in turmoil. His estranged wife Sarah is
Donna Maguire

After really enjoying the first two books in this series I was delighted to be able to get my hands on a copy of Midtown Huckster - the third installment in the fabulous Alex Cohen series - and the book lived up to all my expectations!

The characters were brilliant, they worked well together and their interaction was great and they really worked with the story too.  I loved the pace for the story - it was spot on.

The author is a brilliant storyteller and h
Jessica Belmont
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Midtown Huckster is the third novel in this series, and it may be my favorite yet. This is following Alex during his darkest years, which grew his character even more for me. Alex is not a nice guy, but we get to learn more about why and it makes it easier to empathize with him.

Leopold Borstinski’s writing is fantastic. He has the ability to write in such a way that I can’t put the book down. The pacing is great, the plot is engaging and the characters are deep and intriguing.

I highly recommend
Philip Van
Jul 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Dry saga of mob murders in the 1930s in New York - 3.5 stars

Alex Cohen rose up from poverty and became one of the leading gangsters in New York City. When Tom Dewey starts investigations after prohibition ends, Alex is near the top of the list.

Alex made his money from liquor and sex during prohibition. He transitions to drugs but runs a foul of the IRS by not reporting all his income. Alex has few moments of introspection. He shrewdly calculates how to kill each marked man and preserve the organ
Lee
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book of about Alex Cohen and this is really the best book yet. We find Alex at the end of prohibition wondering what to do with the organization. Meanwhile the FBI has a new head prosecutor, Thomas Dewey, who is determined to take crime out of the city.
The book follows along a time in history when organized crime was very prevalent. Mr. Borstinski writes a compelling book that is honest and doesn’t hold back. The storyline is well written, it flows from chapter to chapter keep
Sofe Gershman

(S) olution
(T) o
(E) scape
(R) epercussions

MIDTOWN HUCKSTER settles in, offers to resolve.
Has done quite well, where everyone wins.

Or so it had been, things are changing.
New enemy from without, shaking the box.

Never before had questioned, who friends were.
Hitting closer to home, as time passes.

Who to root for, I am wondering?
Feeling guilty because
Jean Marcotte
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Follow Alex along his journey into the 1930's in this book. Everything is changing. Capone is sent to jail. Alex is being investigated for tax evasion as well. Prohibition is over and Alex has to find a new way to make a living. He replaces liquor for heroin. There are also changes with Sarah and Ida. This was a great book that held my attention through to the end. ...more
Christmas Angel
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you like good gangster books and the 1930s, you will love Midtown Huckster. It's like watching
The Untouchables only better. I read this book in one night...I couldn't put it down so sleep got pushed to the background. Mr. Bortinski has developed a list of fantastic characters and a wonderful
story. Highly Recommended
Given as an ARC book...this is my freely given, honest review.
The P.Turners
Please see blog for [K]'s review:

Steve Essick
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tired of the daily barrage of oppressive news of 2020 ? Take a journey back to the 1930’s and Crime USA and follow the continuing saga of Alex Cohen, mobster extraordinaire. Midtown Huckster is the perfect antidote to escape the mishugana world we’re living in. You won’t be sorry !
Ann Keeran
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alex Cohen is working his way to the top. Check out all his adventures.
Leah Ruth
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Read my full review for the Alex Cohen series books 1-3 on my blog. https://theverybookish.com/2021/01/13... ...more
Elizabeth Gray
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Midtown Huckster is the third installment in the Alex Cohen series, which focuses on the life Alex leads as a member of the Italian-Jewish National Crime Syndicate. After years of working his way up the ranks, Alex is now one of the bosses, running businesses and conferring with the members of the Syndicate. But after decades of hard work, Alex’s life is falling apart.

The repeal of the Volstead Act means the end of Prohibition, and with it the end of all those lovely profits. Sarah, Alex’s wife,
john williams
Robert Mizell
Jul 17, 2020

• American Spy
  • Turbulent Wake
  • Raining Men and Corpses (Raina Sun Mystery #1)
  • The Mexican Way (Raja Williams #9)
  • Saint Justice (Christopher Wren #1)
  • One?
  • Stamped Out (A Mail Carrier Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Tokyo Traffic
  • Princess Bachelorette: An Exclusive Selection of Princess Bachelorette Stories
  • Address For Murder (A Mail Carrier Cozy Mystery #2)
  • Dead and Breakfast (The New Orleans Go Cup Chronicles, #2)
  • Buried in the Bayou (Raja Williams #8)
  • Drive Thru Murder (The New Orleans Go Cup Chronicles #3)
  • Death By Rum Balls (The New Orleans Go Cup Chronicles #4)
  • Dog Gone and Dead (The New Orleans Go Cup Chronicles #5)
  • Backstories
  • The Index of Self-Destructive Acts
  • Arsenic in the Azaleas (Lovely Lethal Gardens, #1)

News & Interviews