Start by marking “The Frozen Crown (Warrior Witch, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Frozen Crown (Warrior Witch, #1)

The Frozen Crown

(The Frozen Crown #1)

"Propulsive and intricate, Greta Kelly has constructed a world of twisting politics and thrilling magic following a heroine who is both clever and uncompromising, but ultimately, has heart. A stellar read that I thoroughly enjoyed." -- Emily Duncan, New York Times bestselling author of Wicked Saints

A princess with a powerful and dangerous secret must find a way to save he
Published January 12th 2021 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about The Frozen Crown, please sign up.
❀ Alex ❀ (The Scribe Owl) Hello! This book is not classified as YA, but adult fantasy. Hope that helps! <3

Start your review of The Frozen Crown (Warrior Witch, #1)
❀ Alex ❀ (The Scribe Owl)
See this review and more at my blog, The Scribe Owl!

Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Voyager for a copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

4.75/5 stars!

This book blew me away! I really didn't expect much from it, but The Frozen Crown ran laps around my expectations. It was a beautifully intricate royal politics read that was far better than most I've read in the genre!

In The Frozen Crown, we follow Askia, the heir to the Frozen Crown of Seravesh. Her nation is facing a threat she can
Kristina (heartsfullofreads)
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
The Frozen Crown is a really enjoyable adult fantasy debut. It's filled with so much delicious political intrigue. I seriously couldn't get enough. Princess Askia won me over easily. She is strong and determined but also flawed in a way that made her realistic as a character. The stakes in this story are very high and Askia is faced with many hard choices. I appreciated how believable it all was.

The world building was very well done. I especially appreciated the own world mythology the author c
Caity
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I particularly enjoyed the magic system in this book. It does seem to have clearly defined rules and limits but the characters’ don’t fully know everything about all the different types of magic. This creates interesting situations and problems as they try to discover more information. They also have to contend with people within the court who are distrustful of magic users and even outright hate them compounding the need for secrecy.

The court intrigue is also such a great part of this book. Th
Shelley
Jan 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

The Frozen Crown is the first installment in author Greta Kelly's Warrior Witch Duology. 21-year-old Princess Askia Poritskaya e-Nimri, rightful heir to the Frozen Crown of Seravesh, has spent months with Black Wolf Legion battling invading soldiers of the Rovan Empire. In order to save her country, she goes on a courageous quest south to Vishir to seek aid from Emperor Armaan. With little training in decorum and political games, Askia deals
Ida Maria
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it
While this book definitely doesn't re-invent the YA action packed fantasy genre, featuring bad-ass female leads struggling to overcome all the odds that never seem to be in their favour, with a little dash of romance, a sprinkle of magic and a great deal of kickin' ass along the way, I am not mad about it. Because this shit just works, people- at least for me. I have yet to wake up and tire from these plot lines and I can appreciate it when it is well done. Kinda like chocolate cake. Many recipe ...more
Tina
Aug 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley and Avon and Harper Voyager for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
The Frozen Crown.
This story centers around Askia. A princess and rightful queen of Seravesh. Her cousin murders her grandfather the king and steals her kingdom. He is a puppet for another, The mad emperor of the Roven Empire. He is steadily burning and pillaging his way to Seravesh in order to take over it and all of the neighboring kingdoms. At the beginning of the book, we
Julie - One Book More
Askia is the princess and rightful queen of Seravesh, a kingdom that is under threat from the evil emperor of the Roven Empire. As the emperor slowly takes over Seravesh, Askia meets with the neighboring kingdom to garner support and, hopefully, use their army to defeat the emperor. Political intrigue, dangerous trainings, and a murderous plot threaten to end Askia before the emperor can.

Askia is a fierce protagonist willing to sacrifice her life and freedom for her people. She continually casts
Ehsaneh Sadr
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Total page-turner! The stakes are real, the characters are complex and interesting, the world building is the perfect mix of exotic and familiar, and the love triangles are delicious and satisfying. And that cover...gorgeous! Enjoy!
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
Aug 13, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: edelweiss
they said the goddess R.F. Kuang's name when talking about people who might like this book soooooo here I am ...more
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Askia is the heir to the frozen crown of Seravesh after fighting against the Roven Empire they get too strong for her forces. She travels to the neighboring kingdom to request help and an army to fight for her throne but realizes court politics are something she will have to learn fast, after fighting like a warrior for years.
Askia is not your typical simpering court darling and she gains the attention of a prince, some warriors, some court members and even the Emperor. Pretty much everyone want
Mackenzie Schley
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Voyager for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I’ll cut straight to the chase in case you just want the bottom line: I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Fair warning though, it may start to consume you with the urge to read continuously to the detriment of all other things in your life. In a way, the main character Askia reminded me of all the strong female characters Tamora Pierce has created over the years and first sparked my love of readin
Margaret
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read about a princess--Askia--trying to reclaim her northern kingdom from an evil emperor who's slowly conquering all the northern countries. She travels to the southern kingdom of Vishir to seek an army, but there, she relives the pain of her parent's death. They died because they were witches, and Askia has a secret--she's a death witch.

Political intrigue, a bit of romance, some sword fights, solid characters. The plotline may be a bit familiar, but it was still a fun read, and
Traveling Cloak
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Frozen Crown is author Greta Kelly’s fantastic first installment of the Warrior Witch Duology. There is so much to like about this book from the beautiful cover to the interesting characters to the tension-filled storyline. The Frozen Crown was a hit with me, and if you like stories like this I think it will be a hit with you, too. Let’s dig in.

I have to say (and this does not always happen), but the synopsis nails the plot. The entirety of the book is Askia hanging out in Vishir working the
Portrait of a Book
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adult
First Reviewed on Portrait of a Book: http://www.portraitofabook.com/2021/0...

First Thought After Finishing: I need the sequel immediately!

Any novel billed with both magic and treachery is one that makes it onto my TBR list immediately. I was very excited to get a copy of The Frozen Crown on Netgalley, and the intriguing synopsis of this book did not disappoint! From the magic system to the political intrigue, this book kept me turning page after page to see what would happen next.

Askia is the r
Bob/Sally
From its opening betrayal to its shocking conclusion, The Frozen Crown is a book that pulled me in and refused to let me go. I spent but a single afternoon and back-to-back evenings with Princess Askia (whom I adored), but it was enough to make me care, deeply and passionately, about the woman, her cause, and the choices she's forced to make. The only thing stronger than Greta Kelly's characterization is her flair for intrigue, resulting in a book that you just cannot put down.

I've been thinking
Alexia
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to my not review review where I will babble on about how I felt about the book more than the book itself 😌

This is fantasy okay. We got court politics, a well thought out magic system, yearning, pining, betrayal. The author put her foot on our necks and did not let up one bit. I stayed up till 6am finishing this cause I could not put it down. I cried severaltimes.

Ilya. I think that’s all I need to say about that. (But no really I would take a paper cut to the eye for this man. Someone ple
Megan Gross
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 I received an uncorrected proof copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway and I am so happy I did. A strong female lead who is still coming to terms and learning how to be a smart leader. Askia has to learn how to balance different types of strength in the middle of a political minefield with the future of her country at stake. There were many real-world themes and nuances portrayed in this book that I think Kelly did a great job capturing the heart and head of. They allowed me to feel ...more
VL
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is truly a masterful fantasy. I loved the characters, the setting, all of it.
Claudia B
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Frozen Crown delivers a well-plotted story, a heroine that avoids all the cliches, and a world that is as glittering as it is deadly.

I was pulled into the bitter cold as soon as I started reading Askia's story and THEN things got worse once she was pulled into the endless political scheming at Emperor Armaan's court. The people she meets may or may not have their own agenda and she must cull those who are true friends from those who see her as yet another pawn in their games.

The characters are
Kat
Jan 07, 2021 rated it liked it
When Radovan takes over the Kingdom of Seravesh, Princess Askia flees across the sea to Vishir to plead for help, only to end up in a tangled web of court politics.

Court intrigue and politics are some of my weaknesses when it comes to fantasy. I’ll gladly forego all the violence, blood, action, and ultimate battles for court intrigue. Give me a bunch of characters who manipulate each other, have ulterior motives, and hold your fate in their hands and I’m a happy reader. Except I was a little fru
Briana
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Source: ARC
Korynne
Dec 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Askia is the rightful heir to the Frozen Crown, but her cousin Goran currently rules the kingdom of Searvesh and wears her crown. Askia wants to save her people from his deadly leadership and claim her throne, but she needs an army to do that. She ventures to nearby kingdoms in the Empire of Vishir to ask for aid, and of course, she gets swept up in more than she bargained for.

“I’m here for an army, not to play court politics.”

I loved Askia. A badass orphan princess and witch who wields deat
Lauren loves llamas
Jan 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Content warnings: (view spoiler)

I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect from this fantasy debut, but I enjoyed it immensely. While this book doesn’t really do anything new with the various standard fantasy bits and pi
Catherine Lowe
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy readers may expect Greta Kelly’s The Frozen Crown to follow the lines of other fantasy novels meant for young adult readers that are popular within the genre. However, the amount of action, politics, adventure, and much more keeps readers interested and rooting for our cast of characters as they try to navigate the conflicts at hand.

The first in a new fantasy series by Greta Kelly, The Frozen Crown follows the story of young Princess Askia, heir to the Frozen Crown of Seravesh. After the
 Diana Davis
Dec 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Frozen Crown: A Novel Hardcover – January 12, 2021

by Greta Kelly

Thank you to the author and the publisher for the complimentary ARC. I am choosing to leave a fair and honest review.
Please note this book will be released on 1/12/2021
“ I came to Vishir for an army not a husband.”
Askia, soon after the assassination of her parents, seeks aide from an ally. Her kingdom is now in the hands of an age old adversary. Her only choice is to head south and beg for troops.
This is a worthy successor to
Heather
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, kindle
I received a free e-ARC of The Frozen Crown thanks to BookRiot and HarperVoyager US in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are solely my own.

In this story we’re following Princess Askia of Seravesh as she travels to Vishir hoping to procure an army to defend her land. Radovan, the ruthless ruler of the Roven Empire, has been slaying villages inside her borders. Askia has run out of options. But life at Vishir takes political finesse, which is something Askia has little experien
rhododendronbees
Thank you Edelweiss and the publisher for the eARC

It has been a while since I’ve read an Adult Fantasy novel that wasn’t an unnecessarily gigantic tome. “The Frozen Crown” is on a refreshing shorter side and manages to use it to its advantage by packing the pages with court tension and unexpected reveals.

The story starts after Princess Askia of Seravesh escapes an empire threatening to usurp her kingdom, and we are immediately thrown into the fast-moving plot. Greta Kelly doesn’t coddle the

Sara  Mosley
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Askia is determined to save her people. And the threats that she must face among the way are tremendous. She must face the Vishir's political games after being raised out of them and having little idea on how they work. She must determine who is friend and foe. And most of all she must determine how far and just what she will do to save her people.

This book was a wonderful book and I can't deny that by any means. It jumps straight into the story and even though it can be slightly confusing at fi
Shannon
I was provided an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

I loved this. It is filled with political intrigue, magic, and a strong female lead who will do anything to save her people. I really liked the magic system in this, it is fairly straightforward and uncomplicated. Much of it seems to be up to the user to explore their limits and see what they can do. I hope we learn more about the magic in book 2. There is a ton of political posturing that takes place and our leading lady Askia
Jeena Yoon
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: givaway-winnings
« previous 1 3 next »
Greta K. Kelly is (probably) not a witch, death or otherwise, but she can still be summoned with offerings of too-beautiful-to-use journals and Butterfingers candy. She currently lives in Wisconsin with her husband, daughter, and a cat who may, or may not, control the weather.

• A Curse of Roses
  • Lore
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • How to Fail at Flirting
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • The Midnight Bargain
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • A Princess for Christmas
  • A Golden Fury
  • The Ravens (The Ravens, #1)
  • World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
  • You Have a Match
  • A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle, #1)
  • In a Holidaze
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Cursed
  • To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
  • The Garden of Promises and Lies (Found Things, #3)

News & Interviews