Start by marking “Instant Karma” as Want to Read:
Instant Karma

Instant Karma

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  4,956 ratings  ·  1,582 reviews
Chronic overachiever Prudence Daniels is always quick to cast judgment on the lazy, rude, and arrogant residents of her coastal town. Her dreams of karmic justice are fulfilled when, after a night out with her friends, she wakes up with the sudden ability to cast instant karma on those around her.

Pru giddily makes use of the power, punishing everyone from public vandals t
Published November 3rd 2020 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Instant Karma, please sign up.
Brienna it's a novel, and no goodreads, my answer is not too short.…moreit's a novel, and no goodreads, my answer is not too short.(less)
livibop I've never read a Marissa Meyer book with any steamy scenes in it! This book is super cute nonetheless. The romance is adorable and I couldn't stop sm…moreI've never read a Marissa Meyer book with any steamy scenes in it! This book is super cute nonetheless. The romance is adorable and I couldn't stop smiling the whole way through. :))(less)

·  4,956 ratings  ·  1,582 reviews

Start your review of Instant Karma
Angelica
I'm a simple girl. I see Marissa Meyer and I hit the "to-read" button before I even read the synopsis. It's just the way it is.

And yet, despite loving Marissa Meyer and her writing. Despite being a ride or die fan of everything she writes. Despite looking forward to anything that she may publish in the future. Despite all that, I didn't love this book.

I did listen to the audiobook and I have to give props to the narrator, Rebecca Soler for making the story engaging. I must admit, that had I bee
jessica
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i like sci-fi/fantasy MM but, wow, i like contemporary MM even more. this is honestly the genre for her.

because theres not the flashiness of her usual sci-fi/fantasy in this, it feels like MMs writing is stripped down, which helped me realise her writing skills are actually quite good. its simple, but really effective. the character development is great, the pacing is spot on, the banter is adorable. this is everything you could hope for from a YA contemporary.

not sure if this is one of the bo
sally♡
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OH IT WAS SO GOOD. marissa romances make me so mushy 😭 can quint be my boyfriend please!

i will give everything i own and my firstborn baby for this
julia ♥
Jul 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
My auto-buy author writing a contemporary romance? I want 20
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Awwww this book is fanfrekingtastic! ( it’s not a word but nothing is better to define this book)

Dear Prudence: quirky, overachiever, A-grade exemplary student, ambitious, a little self-absorbed, judgmental because she’s obsessed to be perfectionist! It’s a challenging heroine to feel sympathy! At first chapters you love to hate her. Then she gains a spiritual power like being a karma bitch or let’s define her as divine punisher.
When she sees something unfair, she just concentrates, snapping
NReads
Aug 20, 2020 marked it as to-read
reading this is going to be weird when you're used to seeing her characters as cyborgs ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jan 15, 2021 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF @ ~15%: I made the decision that 2021 was going to be the year of putting down books when I knew that they weren't going to be for me, and this one fit that description pretty quickly out the gate. I originally wanted to read this book because I loooooved Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles back in the day, so when I heard that she was putting out a mostly contemporary story (my favorite genre) I hopped right on it. Unfortunately, this one really didn't work for me the way that I hoped it would ...more
Jessica | JustReadingJess
Instant Karma by Marissa Meyer is a cute young adult romance.

I loved the wildlife in Instant Karma. Pru learns about different sea animals and gets to experience them being reentered into the wild. Quint is very passionate about the relief center and sea animals and expresses this many times to Pru.

I really enjoyed Pru and Quint’s interactions. Their romance was exactly what I look for when reading YA romance. Pru’s and Quint’s family and friends were also an important part of the story.

I liste
Sahil Javed
May 11, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: contemporary
um why the fuck am i only just finding out that marissa meyer is coming out with a contemporary novel? the queen of retellings is releasing a contemporary? take my money, my lungs, my kidney, take them all. i need this.

Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Aug 15, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: middle-grade

instant karma is the f**king best

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Krystal
Okay, I guess it was pretty cute.

Prudence is, like, super annoying though.

Reasons You Will Love This Book
- Enemies to Lovers cute romance
- Fun beach location
- Sea life vibes
- Karmic justice
- Fun characters
- Music rep
- Realistic character appearances (as opposed to everyone being 'the most attractive person ever')
- Quirky moments

- Prudence is k
Abbie | abbie.ruis
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
⭐ 3.75 / 5 ⭐

This delightfully refreshing, Beatles-infused Rom-Com is full of whimsy, romance, and life lessons.

“Overachiever Prudence Daniels is always quick to cast judgment on the lazy, rude, and arrogant residents of her coastal town. Her dreams of karmic justice are fulfilled when, after a night out with her friends, she wakes up with the sudden ability to cast instant karma on those around her.

Pru giddily makes use of the power, but there is one person on whom they consistently backfire: Q
rayne ♥ [ IG: rayne.reads ]

This was love at first sight. I saw Marissa Meyer, and immediately, I had the creeping suspicion that I would love this.

But unfortunately, my instincts have failed me.

description

I really wanted to love this, truly. I think Marissa Meyer is an amazing author and though I have not finished The Lunar Chronicles yet, the first book amazed me. But this one was not it.

Instant Karma is a young adult romance about a girl who's forced to work with her archenemies through the course of one eventful s
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 4.5 Stars

Just the fun, fluffy cuteness that I needed to avoid that bookslump I was headed towards. Thank you, Instant Karma ! 😉

_____________\\
*instaclick*
Adela
God this book was a train wreck. Why? Well I’m about to tell you.

The main character, Prudence, is a terrible human being. All she cares about is grades grades grades. She goes through life not caring about the consequences of her actions or maybe how she makes others, like Quint, feel. Ugh she’s a stereotypical nerd and I hate her with every bone in my body. At the beginning she was all right, but it just went down hill from there.

The main side character, Quint, was annoying, but he was also s
Sheena
Contemporary romance and I just haven’t been getting along recently, at least with arcs. I did have high expectations with this one because I really loved Meyer's book Cinder (and need to continue the series) but this book feels like it was written by another author. Points for the cute cover though!

Prudence suddenly gets the power of being able to grant instant karma on those who deserve it. I wasn’t a fan of Prudence, if anything I thought she should get some instant karma against her for her
Melanie (mells_view)
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sophomore year would have been a walk in the park if it hadn’t been for marine biology and Quint Erickson.

Instant Karma by Marissa Meyer was super cute. Take a driven, yet sort of self involved heroine, and pair her up as a lab partner with someone who is seemingly lazy and irresponsible. Cue the disaster that is this pairs final science project. That’s where we start this story off. With polar opposites Pru and Quint failing epically at working together.

We then follow Pru over her summer as she
Amelie
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Prudence is faced with a problem when she receives a bad grade on her marine biology project thanks to her lab partner, Quint, who is a slacker. She devises a plan to volunteer at her local marine life rescue centre to help lift up her grade during her summer vacation, without realising that Quint himself also works there. When she gains the abilities to cast instant karma on those around her, Prudence goes about righting wrongs and punishing evil doers, but eventually comes to realise the fine ...more
Nicci
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Easy read? ✓✓✓
Fast read? ✓✓✓
Emotional read? ✓✓✓
(I mean, come on, this is Marissa Meyer. What did you expect?)

I spent half of the first chapter fearing that this wouldn't be as good as Marissa Meyer's other books, then the next half just laughing and being giddy at this sizzling we-hate-each-other chemistry. I was almost tempted to put it down, but I am very thankful I didn't. This was so cute, so adorable, so quirky, so everything along the lines of that! It was very fun to read, especially if y
j.chestnut
Jul 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY TO MY MOST ANTICIPATED RELEASE OF 2020!! i can’t wait until i can read this.
um
hi! my queen is writing a new book. and it's a contemporary romance. i'll take 20. thanks! also, the cover is !!!!!! i literally cannot wait!

also, WHY TF DOES THIS BOOK HAVE A ONE STAR REVIEW IT COMES OUT IN OVER A YEAR!!!
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
Lauren Lanz
Apr 27, 2020 marked it as to-read
Considering this is written by the same lovely human who created The Lunar Chronicles and Renegades, I'd be a colossal dummy not to read it. ...more
h o l l i s
It's not like I asked for this gift, so I figure I must've done something to deserve it.

So, full disclosure, I didn't remember requesting this and when it popped up for download I did experience some minor trepidation. I'm not sure why. I just wasn't sure about this one, even knowing as little about it as I did, so again, why on earth did I click? I blame quarantine brain.

I can punish and I can reward. It makes perfect sense. I'd just been so eager to right wrongs before that I hadn't considered
Trina (Between Chapters)
The story would have stood on it's own well enough without the karma thing. It felt like it started as the main idea, but quickly fizzled out with no real purpose. I was mad at the main character for most of the book, but she does have a good growth arc. Would love to read more of this genre from Marissa Meyer! ...more
rose ★
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
ack this was cute

...

y’all ever get your hands on a book literally two days before it releases and just feel like royalty? cause same.
Brooke H
Jul 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
Hello there, where did you come from?
Never mind, that’s not important, hop on my never ending TBR then while I wait ever so patiently for November 2020 to arrive👌🏻

*is actually dying inside because that’s over a year away😭😭😭*
Norah Una Sumner
Apr 27, 2020 marked it as to-read
yes hi hello why is this not in my hands yet

Sylvie
Jul 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
I'm totally okay, not freaking out at all. I can totally wait till 2020 without losing my mind.
Jenny Baker
I’m not sure if any of this is a spoiler, so read at your own risk.

***

I wasn’t expecting to love this as much as I did. Part of me wanted another fairy tale retelling in a new world instead of a cutesy YA contemporary novel, but this is the sort of story that I needed right now.

Pru and Quint are lab partners who had to do a group project. Pru is ambitious and always thinking about her grades for her college applications. Quint comes across as the slacker who is perfectly fine with the C grade th
Grace
Nov 21, 2020 rated it liked it
The beginning was a bit slow, but once you push pass it, it is worth it.
Prudence, named after one of the Beatles songs, was gifted with Karma power by the universe, where she gets to dole out punishment or rewards. Except for her Karma powers, instead of punishing Quint Erickson, her supposed lazy science lab partner, it rewards him instead.
Prudence has never gotten a C in her life, but that’s what she got from her science teacher because she lacked teamwork. She wanted a do-over to bring up he

• Alex, Approximately
  • Starry Eyes
  • Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
  • Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Max Einstein: The Genius Experiment (Max Einstein, #1)
  • When Wishes Bleed (When Wishes Bleed, #1)
  • The Darkest Bloom (Shadowscent, #1)
  • A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.1)
  • The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray #1)
  • The Peanuts Papers: Charlie Brown, Snoopy & the Gang, and the Meaning of Life
  • Friends With Boys
  • A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • The Mirror & the Maze (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1.5)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

Articles featuring this book

“Actions make a person good, not motives.

I’m not sure I agree with that.”
2 likes
“Like - that presentation board you'd made up? You definitely should have let me take care of that part."

I frown. "What was wrong with my presentation board?"

He gives me a look, like I shouldn't even have to ask. "For starters, you used the Papyrus font for the headers."

"So? What's wrong with Papyrus?"

He makes a gagging noise.”
2 likes