Start by marking “Witness in Death (In Death, #10)” as Want to Read:
Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

(In Death #10)

From New York Times bestselling author J. D. Robb comes a new novel in the futuristic series that has captivated readers everywhere. When a celebrity is killed right before her eyes, New York detective Eve Dallas takes a new place in crime - as both officer and witness to murder...

Opening night at New York's New Globe Theater turns from stage scene to

Mass Market Paperback, 338 pages
Published March 6th 2000 by Berkley Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Witness in Death, please sign up.
Sara ♥ #11 Judgment in Death.

Here's a link to the series here on goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/series/4102...

Or, you can get to that page from any…more
#11 – Judgment in Death.

Or, you can get to that page from any of the book's pages. Under the book's description, click "More Details..." then next to Series click "In Death #10".(less)

Start your review of Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Another amazing book from J.D.Robb!!! Ahhh seriously I'm obsessed with this series. :)

Roarke: Our engines don't run at the same speed.
Eve: What the hell does that mean?
Roarke: Just that.
Eve: It sounds like something that ought to piss me off. But I can't figure out exactly why. When I do, I might have to pop you one.
Roarke: I'll look forward to it. If you don't sleep, eat. You need something in your stomach. And what are you grinning at?
Eve: You. You're such a wife.
Roarke: Now, I'm pissed off.
Phrynne
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh I am so enjoying my reread of this series! This is number ten and it is still every bit as good as the previous nine books! I realise the author has a formula which never changes from book to book but it does not matter at all. It is what she does with that formula that counts and J.D. Robb is a master.
In this particular book everything revolves around Agatha Christie right down to the way the final scene plays out with all the possible murderers gathered together while Eve does the grand
Carolyn
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book ten in this series and I feel I'm well and truly settled into it to the point where the characters have become old friends. Roarke and Eve are still feeling their way in their lives together producing a few sparks and a lot of passion and romance. There is a lot of humour in their relationship and both are learning to give and take from each other. Peabody is enjoying her two men, classy outings with Charles and hot sex with McNab, but is good at hiding her true feelings from herself. Fun ...more
Mo
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot give these books less than 4 stars. I could do with a bit more Roarke and Eve time.

...When a celebrity is killed right before her eyes, New York detective Eve Dallas takes a new place in crimeas both officer and witness to murder...

Love had narrowed the distance, then had all but eradicated it.

She'd saved him ... the first moment he'd locked eyes with her. As impossible as it should have
♥Sharon♥
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this series. Ten books in and I still cannot get enough of these two main characters. Roarke & Eve, I adore both of them. Then you have these wonderful side characters that continue to grow and shine in their own right. There is Peabody, Feeney, McNabb and even a new addition, Trueheart. Round them off with Galahad (the family cat) and you get this perfect blend of characters.

I wont go into the plot at all but I couldnt agree more with a comment in a review I read where
Cyndi
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Mix some J. D. Robb with some Agatha Christie and you get genius! In the way of Christie, the murderer is obvious but hard to see.

Reread July 2018 The plays the thing. In this case the thing is murder. Eve and Roarke have a night out at the theater. Its an Agatha Christie mystery that quickly becomes too real. Great book!
Jilly
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"Peabody, am I an ass-kicker?"

"Are you asking to see my scars or is that a trick question?"

"Shut up, Peabody."

Okay, I admit it, Eve's grouchy, rude personality is growing on me. She kind of cracks me up.

"Great sweater, by the way. Is it cashmere?"

Baffled, Eve looked down at her navy turtleneck. "I don't know. It's blue."

Yeah, I can relate to not giving a damn about shopping. She's lucky to have a husband who buys her nice things that she can't appreciate.

So, in this book we have a murder
Wendy'sThoughts
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: J.D. Robb Fans, Mystery, Romance
5 Confronting & Figuring it Out Stars
* * * * 1/2 Spoiler Free
I have a disclaimer to start...I truly think there will not be an entry to this series I won't want to read. I have become addicted to this series and one of the reasons is this grown-up relationship between Eve and Roarke.

These two people are fully formed; people who have a deeply traumatic childhood history.
Both dealt with the horror of being beaten, felt unloved and abandoned by their mothers. Each found their path after the
Poonam
Death is just the last scene of the last act. Joyce Carol Oates

A murder is committed as the last act of a theater performance in front of the whole cast, crew and thousand's of people who have come to watch this play including Eve Dallas.

As the story progresses we come to know that the Theater world is filled with people who like to perform on stage and outside of it, that relationships are not that simple in this world and you never know who is acting and who is genuine.

We also discover that
Chan
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great installment in the In Death series. I've written so many reviews about these books, I'm not sure how else to express my enjoyment.

In all of the books, Eve Dallas experiences emotional growth. This book showed a great leap in her development, evident towards the end of the story. It was very touching.
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
Oh how I loved the play within the play. And how juicy the play turned out. This installment was different from the rest for a number of reasons but the main one was that the killer could be empathized with and oh, that was a shift for Eve.
A great installment to a great series.

Over and out
Alex ♈
Suspense 5+ stars / Romance 4.5 stars

I freaking loved this book.
Excellent story, like an old-fashioned classically written detective novel by Agatha Christie. Murder on stage. Murder out of love, hate, revenge the whole kaleidoscope of feelings and emotions.

As a huge fan of Agatha Christie, who read all her books approx. 20 times (but who counts *lol*), I know to enjoy a good suspense with a deep and creative background.

Big plus *excuse my heartlessness* - the 1st victim deserved to be
Anita
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great mix of romance, and mystery. NR takes us further in the saga of Eve, Roarke and their friends and associates. We a closer look at Peabody, Eve's partner, her burgeoning relationship with McNab, the geek techno wizard and Peabody's sex squeeze and Charles, her LC friend. Nadine Furst, the channel 75 news reporter, becomes more of a central character in this book due to her relationship with the deceased. A treat, for me anyway, is the reappearance of newbie police officer Troy Trueheart ...more
Carol
5 stars. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Outstanding from start to finish.
It is like J.D. Robb's homage to an Agatha Christie whodunit and she totally nailed it!!!

Eve and Roarke are enjoying an opening night out at the theater, when a murder occurs on stage but what is not clear is the identity of the perpetrator- now all the cast and crew must fall under suspicion as we watch Lieutenant Dallas uncover everybody's secrets.

SO FREAKING GOOD.....

This book was so funny at times, the absolutely hilarious banter between Eve
Shawna
3.5-4 stars - Romantic Suspense/Sci-Fi/Futuristic/Thriller

Roarke. . . . . . . . . .

They needed each other.
Two lost souls, he thought, taking a moment to walk to the tall windows that looked out on part of the world hed built for himself out of will, desire, sweat, and dubiously accumulated funds. Two lost souls whose miserable beginnings had forged them into what appeared to be polar opposites.
Love had narrowed the distance, then had all but eradicated it.
Shed saved him. The night his life had
Somia
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, it looks like Eve and Roarke can't have a night out without a murder happening, in this book they're enjoying a play when the performance on stage becomes all too real, and it's up to Eve to get at the truth and find the killer - although this is one instance where the victim is one Eve cannot like in any way.

In this book it wasn't so much the mystery of who was the murderer that kept me eagerly reading, but the continued character developments and interactions.

I'm loving seeing the author
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading
Every time I read this book, I like it more if that's possible. The whole world is a stage - basically sums up this book. Lies, deceit, and more lies - gotta love thespians!

Love the scene with Eve preparing for a seductive evening with Roarke - too funny, poor girl!

Still wondering about that cone-shaped thing that tinkles - have no idea how that works ;)

5 stars and 2 thumbs up!
Christa
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The one where Roake takes Eve to a play and she witnessed a murder onstage. The pool of suspects comes from the actors and cast in the play. Also noted for jerk victim and sympathetic killer.

I see. Ian, if you want me to discuss the intricacies and capriciousness of the female mind, well need several days and a great deal of liquor.

I loved Eve surprising Roake with a nice dinner. Their relationship is getting so so good with each book. And Eve is becoming more likable.
Kjen
More Roarke and Eve re-read awesomeness! The seduction scene...omg!...no need to say more(; And then the ending: "You can't go back. Can't fix what broke. But you can go forward. And every step matters. Every one makes a difference." She cupped his face in her hands. "From where I'm standing, you're the best step I ever took." Sweeeeet!

Re-read in preparation for Echoes...Feb 2017:)
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Still love Roarke.

Re-read
July 5-8,2017
What can I say. I love me some Roadie time.
Lisa Kay
The fabulous Marlene Dietrich in Agatha Christies wonderful Witness for the Prosecution, the play Roarke and Eve go to see.
description

★★★★★ & a Wow! & a Whoa! (This is a review of the audiobook.) Susan Ericksen narrates these characters as if she wrote them instead of J.D. Robb, she knows them that well. Her narration lets us know them better, too!

Loved this one. Adore all of them, actually, but this one was extra-extraordinary. I think it is one of the best in the series. The homage to Agatha
Ann Lou
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've said this in my other reviews with the previous books and I am afraid I have to say it again here. Sometimes I think Eve is too much or her methods are a bit much. But she gets the result in the end. She comes out hard, cold, detached and emotionless but readers of this series knows better. She breaks. She feels. She's not just an easy person to like or love. Her relationship with Roarke makes her more human.

I couldn't for the life of me guess who done it. I guessed a few but turned out
Kim. E.
Many times I tried to place this edition, the one I actually OWN, as my edition of this book.

I even took time to write a review for this book, the one I actually read, but Goodread's kept switching me over to the other one, which was a lie. GR says I shelved the other edition, and I did, once. Every time I switched GR moved back to other.

I won't repeat my review again, after this mess. Just know if you're a fan, you'll enjoy.
Breann

Eve & Roarke are such a wonderful couple and even though this is their tenth book, their relationship is still growing and changing. Eve really stretched herself in proving her love for Roarke. It was very sweet & endearing. Two words I never thought I'd associate with Eve. I loved it. On the flipside, Roake had an "insert foot in mouth" moment, which made this entire book worth the read.
The man does have faults! Smiley Praise Jesus! Smiley

Oh Peabody. The real star of the show. Smiley
Thank
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

A man is murdered right before Lt. Eve Dallass eyes.

My favourite cop and her hunky husband Roarke go out to attend a play. Undoubtedly enjoying the fact that Roarke owns the theatre, Eve feels like she can finally relax a bit.

But when someone takes the death of a character into literal means and stabs the superstar of the show, Darco dies with a single stab through the heart.

Eve soon finds out that actors are very good liars because she is thrown this way and that way
Irene Sim
4,5 Stars. I really liked it but it was a little predictable for me. I just loved the last scene with Eve and the murderer. Eve has such a big heart!
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Another great addition to the series. Didn't feel as intrigued as I did the others but I was entertained by the theatrical bit.
Poor Eve can't even enjoy a night at the theatre with Roarke without witnessing a murder, one committed right on stage in full view of the entire audience! Now she's got to try and figure out which of the famous actors in the play killed one of their fellow cast members. She quickly realises that everyone had reasons to want the play's star dead but which one of them actually did the deed?

I think this is the first time in this series that I've almost wanted the murderer to get away with it! The
Lauren
4 Stars

In her newest case, homicide lieutenant Eve Dallas finds herself in uncharted territory when she, along with the entire audience, witnesses the murder of an actor during a performance. Before long, Eve and her team are up to their necks in suspects and motives as the victim was uniformly despised by one and by all.

An excellent homage to Agatha Christie's mysteries in general and to her play, Witness for the Prosecution, in particular. Reading this book brought back fond

• Hot Rocks
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Sidekick
  • Festive in Death: by JD Robb | Summary & Analysis
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • Under Currents
  • Inner Harbor (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #3)
  • Rising Tides (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #2)
  • Sanctuary
  • Without a Trace (The O'Hurleys, #4)
  • Loving Jack (Jack's Stories, #1)
  • Sea Swept (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #1)
  • Death's Avatar (Descent, #0.5)
  • Of Blood and Bone (Chronicles of The One, #2)
  • Key of Knowledge (Key Trilogy, #2)
  • Key of Valor (Key Trilogy, #3)
  • Duygu (Bir Türk Masalı, #1)
  • Key of Light (Key Trilogy, #1)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 51 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)