Start by marking “The Dead Season (Shana Merchant, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Season (Shana Merchant, #2)

The Dead Season

(Shana Merchant #2)

Senior Investigator Shana Merchant has spent years running from her past. But she never imagined a murder case would drive her to the most dangerous place of all--home.

After leaving the NYPD following her abduction by serial killer Blake Bram, Shana Merchant hoped for a fresh start in the Thousand Islands of Upstate New York. Her former tormentor has other plans. Shana a
Published December 8th 2020 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dead Season

Start your review of The Dead Season (Shana Merchant, #2)
megs_bookrack
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Following the events of Death in the Family, Senior Investigator, Shana Merchant, finds herself on administrative leave.

Her PTSD was triggered by the events on the Sinclair family's private island and it caused her to display poor judgement. Now she is left spinning her wheels as her department urges her to take some time off.

Pending a psychological evaluation, Shana may be reinstated to her position. In the meantime however, she is suppose to focus on getting well, not on work.

Like many profess
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Happy book birthday! 🌈🥳💕📚Finally this amazing gripping thriller is out!

Did you also become addicted to the adventures of Shana Merchant after reading the first, gripping, getting trapped in gothic mansion theme with Agatha Christian vibes novel of the brand new series? If your answer is yes, let’s celebrate to take another mysterious, unputdownable, breathtaking journey! Not only Shana, but her smart, loyal partner Tim and her badass, supportive best friend Mac are back!

If you don’t remember t
Chelsea Humphrey
Apr 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Berkley Publishing Group
I was really hoping for another 5 star Shana Merchant read, but for me this one just wasn't as enjoyable as the first. I'll be the first to admit that my rating is completely subjective, and mostly due to personal preference. The writing is once again excellent, but I think I was more drawn to the locked room, Agatha Christie-esque nature of Death in the Family than the family drama presented in book two. The pacing in the first half of the book was on the slow side, but once we were able to bre ...more
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I know I’m not the most regular series reader (even though I want to be!), but Tessa Wegert’s Shana Merchant series blew me away with the first book. Shana is back with The Dead Season, and I loved it just as much, if not more, than Death in the Family. Also, the first book ended on a cliffhanger, and I needed to know what happened!

Shana is a detective who was abducted and later released by a serial killer. As one can imagine, the events were traumatic and left Shana with PTSD. On top of it, the
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
The Dead Season is the second book in the Shana Merchant series. I loved the first book, Death in The Family, which left me with some lingering questions surrounding Shana's past and tormentor, who held her captive.

The Dead Season picks up three weeks after the events from Death in the Family. Shana is suspended from duty and is in therapy for PTSD. She is now drawn into two crimes that she has a personal connection to and is forced to play a cat and mouse game with her tormentor.

The Dead Seas
Michelle
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded up

While I enjoyed Death In the Family more, I still found the second installment to the Shana Merchant series a fantastic read. The writing was again exemplary and character development very well done. I was hoping to learn more about Shana in this book and while I was hoping for more, I definitely respect the direction that Ms. Wegert is taking things. (I was expecting more of a backstory dump in this book, but when it wasn't there I deduced that she is going to be more deliberate i
Chelsea | thrillerbookbabe
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller-mystery, arc
I LOVE this series! Thank you so much to Berkley Publishing, Suzy Approved Book Tours, and Tessa Wegert for the second book in this amazing detective series. I loved the first book and I have to say I loved this one just as much. I get major Agatha Christie vibes from these books and I love that they each have a story in the book as well as part of an overarching story.

This book was about Detective Shana Merchant and her journey to learn more about her past. She was abducted years ago and now h
Maximilian Birner
Sep 14, 2020 is currently reading it
Looks so good! Death in the Family is on the top of my to-read shelf so I'll have plenty of time to anticipate this release. ...more
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
After reading Death in the Family, I was so excited to dive into The Dead Season. I loved all the twists and turns. I really loved the ending it lets me know that there is another book in this series and i can't wait to get my hands on it. This is a mystery worth reading, I highly recommend this book.
4 stars and recommend this one.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
Aristotle
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shana dealing with her PTSD after her abduction by a serial killer, searching for her uncles killer, coming to terms with her mentally ill aunt and what that did to her two cousins, and learning the identity of her kidnapper.
This was a well done psychological thriller. Talk about family secrets.
This book ends in a major cliffhanger. Read book one Death in the Family to better understand Shana Merchant.
Minx
True Rating 3.5 stars....

The Dead Season is the second book in the Shana Merchant series and this story is an intriguing police procedural filled with deception, secrets, and coming to terms. After everything that went down in the prequel, Death in the Family, Shana has been on suspension and, at the start of this story, she is finally nearing the time when she will be able to take a mental status exam that will decide the future of her career. Shana herself is in a much better place, mentally,
Madeline (always_reading1)
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I need the next one ASAP!!!
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Shana Merchant series, and you should definitely read book one before reading this one, as events continue and you need the perspective. As it was, it has been eight months since I read the first installment and had forgotten quite a bit and it took a while for it to come back and make the story more compelling and readable. Once I remembered the kidnapping and its possible ties to Shana's past, I couldn't turn pages fast enough to discover what was happening.

Much
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
This is the second book in the Shana Merchant series! The first book "Death in the Family" was excellent, and I think this one was even better! I loved this book!! I was on the edge of my seat and couldn't read fast enough! Plenty of action and twists! I also liked learning more about Shanna's past! I definitely think thriller fans will really enjoy this series!

After being abducted and traumatized by a serial killer Bram, she leaves the NYPD and hopes for a fresh start in the Thousand Islands NY
thereadingowlvina (Elvina Ulrich)
Wow. Wow. Wow. Another great murder mystery! I loved Death In The Family so much and was absolutely thrilled to read the second book of the Shana Merchant series! It is gripping, unputdownable and did not disappoint!

***Thank you Berkley Publishing Group, author Tessa Wegert and NetGalley for this gifted review copy in exchange for an honest review. Pub. Date: Dec 8, 2020***

This is a great follow up from the first book. I liked how we get to know more about Shana in this book since the mystery c
Laura (crofteereader)
Nov 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I will admit that I found the first book much more compelling. In The Dead Season, it was easy to forget that there was a child who'd been kidnapped, that those were the immediate stakes - instead there's so much focus on the cold case that the threat almost doesn't feel real.

I will say that I really like how Shana's PTSD was handled. She's both aggressively trying to combat it (by taking crazy personal risks, taking self defense classes, and attending counseling) but she's also, not controlled
Nancy McFarlane
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Senior Investigator Shana Merchant is on suspension waiting to pass a psych exam to be able to return to working. PTSD caused her to almost kill a witness in her last case and she has spent months trying to overcome thinking about the serial killer who abducted her and kept her captive in a basement for days. Then the body of her uncle, who the family thought had simply left town 20 years earlier was found and she goes home to be with her family. She soon starts investigating and then her partne ...more
Artee Avalos
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a read !!! I would have finished this sooner if the holidays weren’t so hectic.

Shana Merchant is not cleared to go back to work after her first case and the mishap that occurred. Still suffering from PTSD but ready to get back on the job Shana finds herself heading home because her uncle was killed. Missing for 20 years this is now a murder case. While not officially investigating this case Shana finds she is playing Brahms game.

When a kid ends up missing Shana is caught in the middle of
Ashleigh
Thanks Goodreads for deleting my review mere minutes after I wrote it!

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

While I find the premise of this series very interesting, especially the backstory of Shana, I find the execution kinda lacking. The first book was okay, nothing outstanding, but an enjoyable read.

This book however was not it. I found the plot convoluted and messy. There was too much happening at once and it make confusing. Also, I missed the moment where it was revealed that (view spoiler)
Nicole (inmycozynook)
Oct 03, 2020 marked it as to-read
I need this book like now, I absolutely loved Death in the Family!! Can't wait to read more of Shana's story! ...more
Aug 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-arcs
I enjoyed this continuation of the Shana Merchant series, even if I found the main abduction storyline to be poorly handled. I loved the expansion of Shana's backstory, her history with Bram, and the cold case centered in her hometown. The present day mystery is, in my opinion, a bit of an also ran with minimal tension - it's such a bizarre addition, when Shana's motivation/personality makes it pretty clear that she would've investigated without this manufactured ticking clock.
I look forward to
Lovemybooks2020 Cindy Ward
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, booktour
"Chilling psychological thriller meets gripping police procedural in this relentlessly compelling cat and mouse game of buried secrets and family heartbreak. Tessa Wegert is such a skilled and confident storyteller! I could not put this down."--𝘏𝘢𝘯𝘬 𝘗𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘱𝘱𝘪 𝘙𝘺𝘢𝘯, USA Today bestselling author ⁣

Well, I love Hank’s books, so for sure I’ll love this one! 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝘿𝙚𝙖𝙙 𝙎𝙚𝙖𝙨𝙤𝙣 by Tessa Wegert is book two in the series featuring Senior Investigator Shana Merchant, although it can definitely be read as a
Kristin (Always With a Book)
Thank you Berkley Books / SuzyApprovedBookTours for the gifted copy.

This is the second book in Tessa Wegert's Shana Merchant series and I really like this series. I'm so glad I had the chance to read the first book, Death in the Family, a few months ago. You all know how much I like reading my series in order!

This latest installment is intense! As much as this book could be read as a stand-alone in the fact that has a self-contained case for Shana and her colleagues to solve, it also deals with
Rebecca D
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank Thank you to @suzyapprovedbooktours for my copy of Spirit of the Woods in exchange for me honest review. This book was really fun to read. Tackling one girls encounter with Bigfoot. The way that the author writes about this piece of folklore integrated into real life was such an interesting concept.

Sydney travels with her dad, Alex, to the Algonquin Forrest of Canada to investigate a credible Bigfoot sighting. Sydney finds herself connected to the earth and Bigfoot in a way never thought p
Cassie-Traveling Sister-
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Buckle up your in for a wild ride! Shana Merchant a senior investigator, was put on suspension until she passes her psych exam. She has spent months trying to overcome her fear, after she was abducted by a serial killer Bram, who held her captive in a basement for days. Plus she’s keeping a huge secret of who Bram may be. When the body of her uncle is found, after her family had assumed he had simply just left town over 20years ago , she heads home to be with her family. Shana decided to do her ...more
Kathy
Dec 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

The Dead Season by Tessa Wegert is a complex mystery set in Upper New York and Vermont.

Bureau of Criminal Investigations (BCI) Senior Investigator Shana Merchant is currently suspended due to events from her last case. Forced to deal with her lingering PTSD from her kidnapping by serial killer Blake Bram, her meeting to discuss returning to duty is just days away.  However, she is drawn into two cases that, although they occur in two different locations, are unexpectedly linked. The fi
Stephani Beltran
Dec 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited about this book that I had to reread the first in the series, Death in the Family, as I loved the first one so much that I just had to prepare and refresh for this second book in the series.
When a book offers all the twists and turns and loads up on the mystery, I am there for it. I definitely recommend reading the first in the series in order to grasp the perspective and make it more enjoyable.
I thought I loved the first one so much but then this one got even better and gave m
Melanie Sligh
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review: 🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏻‍♀️🏃🏻‍♀️/5

I honestly felt as though I was watching a movie unfold in front of my eyes. The writing was so descriptive and atmospheric, that I couldn’t help but be sucked in to the world Wegert drew up.

This is the follow up to Death in the Family, however, this can be read as a standalone. Thankfully, I did read the first book, so I felt more in tuned. I’m not a major fan of police procedurals, but this is how you do it. This is how you keep my ADD attention span without thro
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
Officially obsessed with Tessa Wegert's books!

A Death in the Family was fantastic, and in THE DEAD SEASON, Shana Merchant is back… and this time the murder hits close to home.⁣

As in - miles from her home.⁣

As in - her own family.⁣

After being abducted by a serial killer and then that crazy murder island investigation … she’s now trying to solve the murder of her own uncle. And that serial killer?? Is he somehow involved? Does her past have something to do with this all?⁣

Shana Merchant is such
Toya (the reading chemist)
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Tessa Wegert came onto the scene last year with her debut novel Death in the Family, which was an immersive and atmospheric locked room mystery featuring senior investigator Shana Merchant that I thoroughly enjoyed.

In book one, we got a snapshot of Shana surviving an abduction by the infamous serial killer Blake Bram.

The Dead Season is part psychological thriller and police procedural as Shana confronts her PTSD while also unofficially investigating the murder of her uncle back in her hometown
« previous 1 3 next »

• She Lies Close
  • Judge's Girls
  • The Betrayal
  • The Wrong Family
  • The Watcher (Kateri Fisher, #1)
  • Never Turn Back
  • The Witch Hunter (Jessica Niemi, #1)
  • The Searcher
  • The Onion Field
  • The Wife Upstairs
  • Catherine House
Tessa Wegert is the author of the Shana Merchant series of mysteries, beginning with DEATH IN THE FAMILY. She grew up in Quebec near the border of Vermont and now lives with her husband and children in Coastal Connecticut, where she writes while studying martial arts and dance.

Shana Merchant (2 books)
  • Death in the Family (Shana Merchant, #1)

News & Interviews