Start by marking “Claiming Marcus (Lords of Discord, #1)” as Want to Read:
Claiming Marcus (Lords of Discord, #1)

Claiming Marcus

(Lords of Discord #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,230 ratings  ·  228 reviews
Vampires slaughtered my family.

No one believed me until I met some new friends, who promised to help me get justice.

But nothing prepared me for Marcus Varik.

Tall, dark, and mind-numbingly sexy.

But he’s also shy, protective, and adorably eccentric.

Oh God, I should have never agreed to betray him.

Hopefully, it's not too late to fix my mistake before I lose more people I lo
Published October 31st 2019 (first published October 29th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Claiming Marcus, please sign up.
kingsaerein
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Claiming Marcus (Lords of Discord, #1)
Wendy

I absolutely love paranormal romances and Vampires...yeah they are definitely my kryptonite. All that hot dark and broody ?? Count me in !! Knowing there are 3 more vampire brothers and that they are getting their own book ?? Hell yeah !!

This story sucked me in from the very first page. I was at the edge of my seat trying to find out more. The mystery and suspense were very well done and it kept me entertained from beginning to end.

The romance between Marcus and Ethan

Nazanin
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 My (not mine, Marcus’! Or maybe my…?!) Heart Stars

Ethan’s family was slaughtered when he was just ten years old. After that horible night, he felt so lonely and lived with endless nightmares. He was obsessed with this thought to get revenge! Now that he was twenty-six years old, he found a chance to get close to those who might know something (or maybe guilty). So he couldn’t lose his chance of getting revenge but always there is a BUT…

Told in dual POV, 3rd person, it’s the first installment i
Diana
Claiming Marcus is the first book in the new Lords of Discord series by Jocelynn Drake. The series revolves around the lives of four vampire brothers the first book is about the oldest brother, Marcus.

Marcus Varik has enough to worry about. The vampire world is on edge, and it looks like his family is in the cross hairs. He’s trying to move his family, so he hires a new assistant, Ethan. Little does he know, Ethan has his own secrets that could be even more trouble for Marcus.

This was an okay re
Cadiva
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Well, that was an absolute dream of a romance from Jocelynn Drake.

Thoroughly jam-packed with all the things I love to read in a paranormal - great world-building, compelling characters, actual repercussions for actions taken, seriously hot and sexy creatures of the night and two men I was rooting for from the start.

That Marcus has three equally interesting and complex brothers who will also be getting the spotlight shone on them was only the start of the bonus treats from this wonderful writer.
Simone
DNF @30% and no rating

It pains me to say it and it's probably just my mood, but I'm not feeling it. I find it uninspired, unoriginal, sappy and - to be honest - boring. 😔
Lyndy Ann ♫
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 5 Fangtastic stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I don’t think I have read a vampire book since my Twilight obsession years ago but I am a huge Jocelynn Drake fan so I thought I would give it a go, try something different.

I am glad I did I LOVED Claiming Marcus, I cannot remember when I felt like I did reading this, I was on tender hooks waiting for the truths to come out, Ethan admitting he knows Marcus is a vampire and Marcus discovering that Ethan is a “spy” and staying up until stupid o’clock so I could finish
Fabi
I finished. That may sound silly to say, but you wouldn't believe the sense of accomplishment I feel. It took me four days of pushing through and skimming, but I did it.

So...I've read a lot of PNR in my time. I've read a lot of vampire romance too. Claiming Marcus is nothing more than an amalgamation of all the other vampire stories I've read. There is nothing new here. In fact, it's a rather hodge podge collection of vampire romance lore. There are plot holes galore. The pace similar to a new d
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio - 3.5 stars
Story - 3.75 Stars

The story had decent action and low angst / lovey dovey romance. I enjoyed it.
Lisazj1
Good start to a new series and I'm definitely interested in seeing where it goes.
haletostilinski
4.5 stars!

What a great first installment to a new series by the always wonderful Jocelynn Drake. We had gotten assassins with hearts of gold and now we've got vampires with hearts of gold and I love it.

The book starts off in 1843, where Marcus Verik, the oldest of 4 brothers, is in his families living room, and then we meet his two twin brothers, Bel and Rafe, who aren't identical but similar enough in appearance - and couldn't be more different personality wise. And then the youngest, Winter, w
Tess
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything I want in a MM Vampire story
Deborah
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Honestly the first half was pretty much a take it or leave it.

That maybe sounds a bit harsh. But it’s true. At almost any point I could have put it down and walked away.
I liked the characters (although the slow burn was getting to me a bit) and the fact that they are brothers. Brothers who became vampires to look after their mother.

But then about the half way point that all changed. It became a book and a series I wanted to read.
There’s lots of potential here for future books. I’m particularly
Ariana
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
DNF at 58%.

This is not for me. I simply couldn’t get into this, and when you’re still not feeling connected to the MCs half way through the book and the plot does nothing for you, it’s better to call it a day.
Kazza
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal, urgh
I'm utterly disappointed with this book. The blurb makes it sound interesting. The cover is nice, especially given music is part of the brothers’ lives that crossed over from human to vampire.

The first chapter was enigmatic but intriguing, a brother willing to become vampire for the sake of family, particularly his mother.

The next chapter was very good, Ethan's whole family, his mother, father, and two sisters are killed by cruel vampires as he listened on, hiding in a wall cavity. I was onboa
Trio
The first book in Jocelynn Drake’s paranormal vampire series, Lords of Discord, starts with Claiming Marcus.

Four stars for the wonderful performance by Kenneth Obi. It’s clear to me over and over again how much fun he’s having bringing Claiming Marcus to life! Infusing each character with their own personalities (and there’s an extensive variety in this series), Mr. Obi shows no end to his range. I especially enjoyed the sweetness he brings to Marcus’ character. Old, a bit jaded, and resigned to
BWT (Belen)
It took until just about midway through, but then I was sucked in completely, and finished Claiming Marcus in only a few hours.

Jocelynn Drake knows how to write a good page turner, but I'll admit, it took me a little longer than I would have liked to get into the story, and part of that was my only real complaint: it felt like a lot got skipped on page.

In particular, for me, the romance between Marcus and Ethan felt rushed and incomplete because they move into the "I love you's" and I would hav
W.
UPDATED
Audiobook Review on 03-24-2020

I enjoyed Kenneth Obi narration. He did a great job .

Overall: 4 stars
Performance: 4 stars
Story: 4 stars

ORIGINAL
Ebook Review: 11/1/2019

New and Fascinating Legends for the Vampire Folklore

In Claiming Marcus , Jocelynn Drake is expanding in the known Vampire Folklore by creating her own MM, brand of lore and vampires.

I loved the world building , the fresh and intriguing plot , the heroes , the hot AF sexy times, low angst and the exciting action adventure aspe
Rachel Emily
Oh man! It's been a while since I have read a truly bad ass, well-written, super sexy vampire romance (sans mpreg, that is...I'm talking just a true vampire PRN romance) and this book delivered on so, so many levels! Great characters, great chemistry between our two MCs, great world building with clans and divided groups and inner-vampire politics, bad ass vampires - actually feeding on blood, and a book that left me needing book 2 right away!

Ethan's childhood was destroyed when vampires broke i
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
Two point Five

There is an interesting storyline, a bit of a new look at vampires and engaging characters.

But, big BUT. The story is need of a good professional editor. Repetitive, numerous statements may add to the word count but detract from the flow of the story.

Authors you need only explain something once.
Chris
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for this one ... I quite enjoyed it but it felt a little rushed to me. I think it could be the start to a good series and I figure this book may have been laying the groundwork.
Claudia
Oct 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, lgbt, paranormal, vampires
3,5 stars for a good start of a new series. I liked the World and the characters but it all seemed a bit superficial and it lacked depth.
Nevertheless I am really looking forward to the other, especially Bels
Tammy
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazing-books
YES, oh yes I loved this book!!! The chemistry between Marcus and Ethan once they got going was off the charts 🔥!!! I loved that Ethan went into Marcus's home expecting the worst but making up his own mind regarding Marcus and his brothers. 🤗
Many other characters and underlining powder strangles and deceit going on throughout the vampire population and I think with this book we just scratched the surface. My only regret is starting this series too soon without being able to read the next book r
Skirmish
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

3 stars

Claiming Marcus starts The Lords of Discord series about four vampire brothers. This first book focuses on the oldest, Marcus, but also introduces the other three brothers as well. It started out interesting with Marcus and the family having to move and Marcus needing an assistant to help with that. Ethan was left an orphan at a young age when a vampire killed his entire family and he has never forgotten and the need for revenge has never quieted. He falls in with a
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for writing a Vampire book! I love Vamps and was so pleased that an author I enjoy was diving into PNR.

Even better? I liked it.

I loved the four brothers. I was into the politics, the world building and all the setups for the future books. I'm anxious to read more.

There were a few or more times where I felt I had missed something or it happened but I never knew it happened, little holes here and there that threw me out of the story, but not enough to be in
Stephanie
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This family sealed the deal of me continuing on with this series. I loved all the characters, the humor was cleverly placed, and that ending was pretty cool. Can't wait for Bel and Winter's story.
Caipi
This was unfortunately no reading highlight for me. The first half was slow, repetitive and Ethan's behavior frustrated me.
In the second half the plot improved but overall there was just nothing new to the world of vampires.

Looks like the next book will be about Marcus's brother Rafe who seems to be an interesting, charismatic character. So if his book will also be available with KU then I might be tempted to give it a try....
ML
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I never wanted to end.
Ethan is lost and alone in the world and even though Marcus has a family, he is also very lonely. They are like magnets. The attraction and chemistry is there. This is a slow burn but a very satisfying sexy book. The adventure and mythology part of the story is very interesting and engrossing.
Now the waiting in book 2 (Rafe’s book) is going to so hard!
Natalia
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Origin (Scales 'n' Spells, #1)
  • Rules for Santa (Davey's Rules #3)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Thayer (The Brinnswick Chronicles #1)
  • Piñatas and Paintbrushes (Hearts of Snow Lake, #3)
  • How to Elude a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #2)
  • How to Lure a Hunter (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #3)
  • Trifles and Treasures (Hearts of Snow Lake #4)
  • How to Shield an Assassin (Unholy Trifecta, #1)
  • Nikolai (The Brinnswick Chronicles #2)
  • Rules to Break (Davey's Rules, #2)
  • Reunion (Ace's Wild #7)
  • Graveyard Shift (Not Dead Yet #3)
  • The Soldati General (Soldati Hearts, #3)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • Dine with Me
  • Omega's Power (Irresistible Omegas, #7)
  • Game On (Fever Falls #5)
New York Times Bestselling author Jocelynn Drake loves a good story, whether she is reading it or writing one of her own. Over the years, her stories have allowed her to explore space, talk to dragons, dodge bullets with assassins, hang with vampires, and fall in love again and again.

This former Kentucky girl has moved up, down, and across the U.S. with her husband. Recently, they’ve settled near

Lords of Discord (5 books)
  • Saving Rafe (Lords of Discord #2)
  • Waking Bel (Lords of Discord, #3)
  • Embracing Winter (Lords of Discord, #4)
  • Healing Aiden (Lords of Discord #5)

News & Interviews