Start by marking “Stay Mad, Sweetheart” as Want to Read:
Stay Mad, Sweetheart

Stay Mad, Sweetheart

THERE’S A FINE LINE BETWEEN INNOCENCE AND GUILT. AN EVEN FINER LINE BETWEEN JUSTICE AND REVENGE.

Data scientist Laura prefers the company of her books to the real world – let alone that cesspit online. But when her best friend Emily becomes the victim of horrific cyberbullying, she makes it her all-engulfing mission to track down the worst culprits.

Petite corporate financie
Published November 19th 2019 by Red Dog Press

To ask other readers questions about Stay Mad, Sweetheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stay Mad, Sweetheart

Start your review of Stay Mad, Sweetheart
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
How do I review a book that is so current, so now and more importantly a book that everyone should read?

The start of this story is quite sombre. We hear all to often about the bullying and trolling that can go on, on line, of which Emily finds herself victim to. My heart went out to this woman who I had only known for a brief few moments.

As the story goes along, we get to meet Laura, Suki and Claire. All very much career women and good at what they do. It was actually an eye opener to see differ
Hans
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sexual harassment and workplace discrimination of women are tackled in this fabulous read. The story is very believable and worrying at the same time. Suki, Claire and Laura are very believable characters.

I can't help wondering whether the software described really exists?! Another worrisome thing if it does ....

This is told so realistic Heleen Kist must have experienced it herself.
Col
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: k, 2019
Synopsis/blurb.....

THERE'S A FINE LINE BETWEEN INNOCENCE AND GUILT. AN EVEN FINER LINE BETWEEN JUSTICE AND REVENGE.

Data scientist Laura prefers the company of her books to the real world – let alone that cesspit online. But when her best friend Emily becomes the victim of horrific cyber bullying, she makes it her all-engulfing mission to track down the worst culprits.

Petite corporate financier Suki is about to outshine the stupid boys at her firm: she's leading the acquisition of Edinburgh's mos
Kelly Van Damme
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hi and welcome to my review of Stay Mad, Sweetheart! Massive thanks to Red Dog Press for the paperback!

Today I’m here to tell you… that I have no idea what to tell you 🙈

I could tell you that this is a very topical and important book. Who knows, you may be someone who feels it’s important to pick up important books. Frankly, I am not. Tell me a book is important and odds are I’ll run the other way, ‘cause important books are boring and/or pedantic, right? Wrong! Stay Mad, Sweetheart is neither, y
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This book, I mean wow! It is totally a now book, very relevant to the #metoo movement. I’m not going to voice my opinions on this movement but I did like the take Stay Mad, Sweetheart took on this and the wider scope of cyberbullying. I found this segment of the story heartbreaking. Bullying in any form is awful but to the degree, that occurs in this book is astonishing. It’s cruel, uncalled for and you can see elements of this on Twitter in this present day. There are way too many keyboard warr ...more
Shalini
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Author Helen Kist has done it again, written book which was so in tune with the work culture of today. She has brought it out into the open for all of us.

3 women Laura, Suki, and Claire’s lives were intertwined with Emily. Their ire was raised when they came to know how a woman was vilified by the trolls of Twitter. The emotional effects of cyber bullying led to the three standing up for themselves.

Second book by author Heleen Kist, she has smashed this one right out of the part in a glorious wi
rina dunn
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everybody needs to read this book! It's completely current and timely and covers a very important subject. Far from being very political this book which covers Gender discrimination and sexual harassment towards women is written in an easy to read engaging way.
The plot follows three highly independent, intellectual women who are all experiencing sexism, and discrimination in some way. When Laura's friend is subject to horrific cyber bullying which results in tragedy the three women's lives are
Jesika
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-s
I'm not sure how to review this novel, except to start with if you are so much as thinking about reading it, you absolutely should.

I didn't know what to expect, but this book pulled me in and I couldn't put it down. The writing is that hard to achieve conversational tone between intelligent women, the plot is extremely well paced and not one of the characters comes across as anything less than a fully realised person. It was a joy to read, and I read it in 26 hours.

There are a lot of novels tryi
Danielle
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'Stay Mad' this was my mood the whole time reading Stay Mad, Sweetheart, it sparked a thought provoking interest in themes that are entwined into this anger inducingly gripping novel, I fell down a hole of podcasts to understand the themes further and that only solidified how important I thought this book is, it needs to be read - it's not only a book, it's the experiences of women in a world where they are deemed as the lesser sex, where they are clawing to survive in a misogynistic riddled soc ...more
Adite
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stay Mad...is a great read on a subject that is universal: the insidious manner in which women are undermined at the workplace. Heleen Kist negotiates the subject with ease without ever letting the narrative slide into a dark and depressing commentary or an unbelievable ra-ra revenge story. She keeps it real with her three protagonists - Laura, a data scientist, Claire, a PR executive and Suki, a hotshot finance exec. The common incident that binds is the suicide of Emily, Laura's best friend, t ...more
Madeleine Black
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whilst this is a work of fiction, I also think it is an incredibly important book for both men and women to read. It cleverly raises awareness through the story being weaved of the everyday sexism that women face daily both at their work place and private life, and also makes us question what exactly does consent look like. Really enjoyed this fast paced read and will be reading more from this author. #TimesUp
Lel Budge
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This really is a must read, it’s very relevant for the time we live in.

This is Laura’s story, her friend Emily is vilified online after she posts her sexual assault by a Hollywood star online. It was meant to be anonymous but she was identified and out came the trolls…making her life unliveable.

Laura wants to get justice for her friend, at the same time dealing with the potential sale of her company. She was the co-founder with her friend Justin and the sale could bring them millions.

As a data
s
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The problem when writing book reviews is I tend to want to jump straight to the spoilers, you know those bits that really grab you so you want to see how other people react to them?
But without ruining anything for potential readers I can say that this is a thought-provoking book with diverse, strong characters. Besides being completely ‘of the moment’ - addressing the highly topical #MeToo and ‘consent’ conversations – Stay Mad Sweetheart has some unexpected twists along the way. Don’t worry if
Jessica Belmont
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything about Stay Mad, Sweetheart is incredible. This 5 star novel is in the running for my favorite of 2019 for so many reasons, but I'm only going to cover some of them, so you have time to read!!!

In the wake of the 'me too' movement, Stay Mad, Sweetheart shows us the realities of sexual harassment and unfair gender discrimination in the workplace. Heelen Kist delves deep into this topi c and creates this compelling, and realistic view of a real issue.

The characters in this novel are bri
Louise Beech
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An intelligent and topical read. A book that - while you're hungrily turning the pages - also makes you think. Makes you angry. Highly recommended.
Robert Parker
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Twisting and thrilling, topical, nuanced and insightful - and so beautifully written. It's a bold, relatable, REAL, lyrical, standout read and it's going to knock everyone's socks off.
Anne
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The tagline on my proof copy of Stay Mad Sweetheart reads 'there's a fine line between justice and revenge', this is the perfect sentence to sum up this incredibly intelligent, gripping thriller.

The story is like nothing that I've ever read before, it is set within the science and finance sector in Edinburgh and it is both educating and quite terrifying to read. Many of us will use Social Media regularly in our day to day lives, and I'd bet that the majority of us imagine that we are connecting
Anthony Frobisher
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A thriller of justifiable revenge

25 years ago I began a career as a manager in the railway industry in the UK. One thing that struck me, after I had left, was how the management teams at every level were equally split between male and female managers, appointed on ability and experience.
Reading Heleen Kist's excellent novel that exposes the inherent sexism within the corporate world, made me realise how progressive the railways were, especially in an era unenlightened by #metoo and where sexism
Karen
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a thought-provoking and intelligent story that while focusing on some tough subjects, was still a very entertaining read.
The three main characters are all likeable, well-rounded and believable so it is very easy to identify with at least one of them and get behind their causes. And you will, because the 'baddies' are also all written so well too that you will be hoping for their comeuppance just as much as the protagonist are!
While it is a fictional story, it can't be ignored that the t
George
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Thank you, Red Dog Press for introducing me to this author and suggesting this book. This is one of my top two books so far in 2020. It is great to lose yourself in a storyline with great characters and come out with education too. As I moved through the life of Emily and was immersed in her tech-savvy world, I began to get an education about the social networking world and how it works. It kept me up several nights until the wee hours of the mornings as my questions and interest grew. I am anxi ...more
Dave Holwill
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gives an insight into the murky world of tech start-ups and corporate takeovers while remaining a fast-paced excellent tale of female camaraderie and revenge.
Wonderful believable characters I was sad to let go.
The Coycaterpillar Reads
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Happy new week to everyone!  Well I am extremely excited to bring to you my review for Stay Mad, Sweetheart by the awesome Heleen Kist.  In order for a reader to truly enjoy a book they need to connect with it on some level, be that a previous experience, a love for the story or a topic that you have wanted someone accurately depict for some time.  This is the book that we all didn’t know we needed.  This book ticks all the boxes.  The writing is plain addictive with kaleidoscopic complexity.  N ...more
Sue
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Data Scientist Laura is brilliant at her work, but not what you would call a mixer. She prefers the company of books and her cat Atticus, She most certainly does not approve of social media.

But when her best friend Emily becomes the victim of cyber-bullying, she takes it upon herself to see if she can track down the guilty parties using her skills.

Corporate financier Suki, is leading a deal to acquire the start-up company run by Laura and her business partner Justin. Battling against sexism and
Michelle Ryles
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-read
I haven't read many feminist novels (shame on me) but I was drawn to this book not only by its subject matter but by its comparison to the TV show Suits. Although the comparison is obvious, there is definitely more drama, skullduggery and ambition in Stay Mad, Sweetheart than there is in a whole series of Suits. Stay Mad, Sweetheart would make an amazing series and I hope it gets snapped up for TV.

Laura is my favourite character as she most resonated with me. Laura just wants to do a good job an
Claire Sheldon
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really don’t know where to start on this, but to say this is a once in a life time read and though they maybe other books out there that share this theme. This is one powerful ride that made me questions everything about the men I work with. It also made me question a female boss that was once part of the company I worked for and other women I have known in positions of power.

The main character in the this story Laura goes through a transformation in this novel from someone who shy’s away and
Hina Tabassum
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on Hina Loves To Read

The starting was a little slow for me but the emotion building was still there.

The book has been called a modern day #MeToo thriller and that was what intrigued me about it in the first place. I am glad to say I was not disappointed.

The sexism at work that the book portrays is all too real (I am in the world of Finance and I am speaking from experience here) and I totally get what Suki would have gone through.

The Emily bit gave me a pause as I had no
Angi Plant
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Clever, dark, funny, twisted and with a lovely taste of comeuppance. Great twists where you don’t expect them. Thanks Heleen Kist.
Bookoholic.me
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Throughout her life, Heleen Kist has been fondled, patronized and ordered to smile by random men. So she wrote 'Stay Mad, Sweetheart'. Whilst her professional knowledge of technology start-ups fed the novel's setting, its theme of insidious harassment and discrimination required no research: it is familiar to all women.

Heleen was chosen as an up and coming new author at Bloody Scotland 2018. Her first novel, 'In Servitude' won the silver medal for Best European Fiction at the Independent Publish
Ann Rawson
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing

A #MeToo story set in the world of business, it focuses on the very different stories of four women - Emily, data scientist Laura, financier Suki, and event planner Claire. From online bullying and trolling, through the everyday casual misogyny which many women experience in the workplace, there is so much in this novel which will resonate with women readers.

I was drawn in to the story by the slow build up of tension as Laura investigates the circumstances around the suicide of her friend Emily
S.M. Stevens
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The line in Kist's bio that she has been "ordered to smile by random men" throughout her life would have been cause enough for me to pick up this book. As a girl, I hated it when men would tell me to smile as I passed them on the street. Once I dove into Stay Mad, Sweetheart, I found much more than a sense of author-to-author camaraderie, though.

This novel is hugely entertaining and thought-provoking. We see the three main characters evolve throughout the book and, as in real life, it is not a s

• A Wash of Black (DI Erika Piper, #1)
  • Beast (Six Stories, #4)
  • A Dark Matter
  • The Curator (Washington Poe, #3)
  • I Am Dust
  • Whispers in the Dark (DI Erika Piper #2)
  • Born in a Burial Gown (DI Avison Fluke #1)
  • The Resident
  • The Cuckoo Wood (An Alex Ripley Mystery, #1)
  • The Home
  • Finders, Keepers
  • The Devil's Apprentice (The Great Devil War, #1)
  • The Catch
  • The Minders
  • The Waiting Rooms
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Nothing Important Happened Today (Detective Sergeant Pace, #2)