Start by marking “Demon Thief (The Demonata, #2)” as Want to Read:
Demon Thief (The Demonata, #2)

Demon Thief

(The Demonata #2)

Kernel Fleck has always known he's weird. He sees lights. Strange, multi-colored patches of light, swirling through the air. But it's not until a window opens into a demon world, with horrific consequences, that Kernel discovers his powers. As a Disciple, his mission is to hunt vicious, powerful demons to the death...
Paperback, First U.S. Paperback Edition, 241 pages
Published April 1st 2007 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

Start your review of Demon Thief (The Demonata, #2)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Demon Thief (The Demonata #2), Darren Shan
Kernel Fleck is a lonely child. He has always been different: he can see strange patches of light in the air around him. Other kids think he's mad. But when he manages to link some of the lights together, he creates a window into another universe, and disappears for several days. When he returns, his memory completely blank, his panicked parents whisk Kernel and his younger brother, Art, away from their home, off to an isolated village, to start a new
Sita
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sita by: My American Friend Cam
I love all the books in this series, so much that I have rushed out and bought each book the minute I finished with the last. I loved the series so much that I pushed it onto all of my friends to read it (half of them didn’t bother, their loss).

Demon Thief is the second in the series and it was funny (a lot more than the first, I loved it but it was so serious), scary (we got to see where the demons lived), and generally awesome.

Characters: 9/10
I loved these characters a lot more than I liked
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Hot damn, Darren Shan has such a complex imagination, it's hard to think of many that can compete. It's strange going from a completely different point of view in book one to a new one in book two, but I see this as a prequel, kind of, and backstory. Think I can swing it with the series as long as it doesn't get too confusing.

I enjoyed the main character Kernel. His loneliness spoke to me in the beginning and his painful plight in the ending convinced me. It's a dark story with his parents and
Jason
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
4.5 Stars

Demon Thief book two of the Demonata by Darren Shan is a as good as book one Lord Loss but maybe with a more enjoyable story. I really liked the world and the characters that Shan created in book one of the Demonata. In the Demon Thief, Darren Shan makes a bold choice to set this book 30 years in the past to the events that take place in Lord Loss. Not only is it a prequel it is not really about Grubbs, or his family, but Uncle Dervish does have a role.

I enjoyed this one more than the
Erika
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
When I was little, I wanted to be a writer and I was a bit obsessed with Zombies! probably that’s to blame on the game Resident Evil, not sure, but I remember I decided to write a story about a zombie apocalypse.

I wanted to write something terrifying, I wanted that the people who read it would be so scared that it would make them develop a trauma about zombies, and wouldn’t be able to sleep for days!

So I started writing all kinds of gory and violent things to describe how the zombies were
Annie
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books
First thing first, don’t read this review if you haven’t read Lord Loss by Darren Shan. Lord Loss is a wonderful, horror filled novel and this book I’m reviewing is its sequel, so go read the first!

One thing I love about the Demonata series is how the books, at least the first two, don’t seem to be related at all! When you start Demon Thief you have just finished Lord Loss and you’re expecting the story to continue but it doesn’t! It takes you into a completely different story with characters
Celine
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, horror
Second part in the Demonata series, and to be bold, even better than the first. In Lord Loss the writing sometimes was very short, in little sentences. That didn't bother me at all, but in Demon Thief the writing is improved a great deal. The dialogue flows more, it reads away so easily.

In this part our narrator is Kernel Fleck (Darren has an interesting choice of names!), a bold boy that can see shards of light floating in the air. There is nothing much to say about the plot without giving
Ninth
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love demonic guts
Recommended to Ninth by: Numey!
5 more stars crafted out of demonic guts and topped with gooey slime

Hmmm....This is another book that I wouldn't recommend to my lil bro.

This stuff gets bloodier! And I seem to love it! (view spoiler)

So... Here's a boy named Cornelius "Kernel" Fleck, a new protagonist. This kid is lonely, too damn lonely. He sees patches of lights all around him(like the ones you see when you are hit with a cricket bat,
Fabio
Demon Thief
By: Darren Shan
256 pages
ISBN13: 9780316012386

This book is about a boy named Kernel Fleck. One day, he had moved into a new house with his family. Kernel wasn't any ordinary boy. He sees lights just come out randomly. When he told people, they thought that he was crazy. Kernel then figured out that he could put the lights together and ended up opening a portal to the demon world. He saw a red Demon named Lord Loss, which he decides to follow into the demon world. When Kernel gets back
Cait S
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am so sad that I let so much time go between reading the first book and reading this one. These are just... Agh, these books are ridiculously fun. The stories are unique, the characters are vivid, and it's just enjoyable the entire way through.

I would say I liked this one slightly less than the first for two reasons. The first is, I don't know if it was just the version I read, but there were a lot of mistakes and typos, especially later in the book. These don't drive me crazy or anything but
Chappy
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Apparently I didn't write a review for this bad boy back in 2014, so here we go. Book one of the demonata had me from page one and didn't let go until the series ended with book ten. Book two is a totally fresh perspective from grubs Grady's narration in book one, this time we have a new narrator, point of view and personality to get use to. We also get a much grander view of the demonata universe and various locations included within, it's spectacular, graphic and bloody.
In summary, book two
Anastasia
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Predictable and yet unpredictable, I don't know how to explain it. Brilliant book I kind of missed Grubitsch though. ...more
Maddie
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a goody. I don't remember much about this book from the first time I read it, but it's still a 5-star. Even though the plot wasn't complex, I loved the gore, the magic, the twists, the ideas. I also loved the way it was set before book #1, and it contained some characters from it. I think I did remember that (view spoiler) I have no idea how I'd react to the knowledge that (view spoiler) ...more
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book takes place prior to Lord Loss, although it is not important to read it first. It is fine to read the books in the published order or the chronological order of the story. I, myself, read them in the published order and found that worked fine.

As this takes place prior to Lord Loss, our main character is someone entirely new. Our new main character, Kernel, is completely different to Grubbs but just as easy to love. This book focuses on a completely different aspect to that focused upon
Kevin
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
SO AMAZING
Carol Bevan
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second time I have read this book and I forgot how gruesome it is. I loved it!
Tyler Grossman
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The theme is never give up. Because his brother gets taken by a demon and then he still believes that he is still alive and chases after him. All the people that are helping him believe that he is dead. But they keep going with him because they want to kill the demon. Then he finally finds him.
Patrick
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kenny Bellew
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book 2 in this series. Fun fantasy adventure battling demons in other realms.
Charlie Sharpe
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Didn’t realise how sad this book was at the end until re-reading it as an adult, amazing. Darren Shan is a genius.
Dillon Walton
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book starts out with a new boy called Kernal. He was a normal boy just like Grubs except for that he sees lights all around him and can touch them. One night he kept on putting the lights together and made a really bright door. When it opened a strange looking person walked though and then all went black. When he woke up his mother and father were woried and they said he has been gone for weeks. He said he was didnt go anywhere but they said he went missing. They ended up moving after that ...more
I'mogén
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so surprised to have enjoyed this as much as I have, because from reading the first book: Lord Loss, I wasn't all that impressed and assumed the rest of the books in this series would stay at that mediocre tone.
I was very wrong, at least for Demon Thief.

I went in thinking it was going to have no connection to the first book at all and was very excited to see familiar characters, but in a different time... Which made me feel as though I read the wrong book first! That feeling soon went away
Marie-Josee Larouche
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like horror
Recommended to Marie-Josee by: My Boyfriend
At first I was a little dissapointed that the second book didn't pick up where thre first book ended, with Grubbs and Dervish. I really wanted to find out what happens! But as I continued to read The Demon Thief I started to like the new story with a new beginning to another Character that must tie in with the book with Grubbs some how. I can't wait to read the next book and find out what happens and see if the two different stories in the series come together!

The Demon theif is about a boy
Liam Semple
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I recently reread Lord Loss, which I enjoyed very much as a child, but I remember Demon Thief, specifically, was my jam. I am pleased to report: Demon Thief is still my jam.

This book starts much slower than Lord Loss, but by its midpoint is in full swing as a globe-trotting, dimension-jumping adventure. There's a lot more going on than in Lord Loss, which increases re-read value for me. But even though this is a much bigger story than Lord Loss, the whole third act is surprisingly emotional,
Nərmin
This one was particularly gross and bloody, more bloody than the first one. Our new protagonist Kernel is thrown into Demonata universe in the search of his lost... brother. And while the plot was a bit predictable, I loved the little surprises. I especially loved young Dervish, I even fangirled a bit. Additionally, the writing style got better in this book. I am taking a little break from the series, but I am looking forward to reading the next one in the future too. Recommended for gore and ...more
Selina Ma
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 8th-grade
Louise Lake
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little slower at first, but overall a very enjoyable read. This book brings a bit of history to Lord Loss as a kind of prequel, with a young Dervish making an appearance. Darren Shan paints a really vivid picture of the demon world with the descriptions used throughout. I especially liked the chess board idea towards the end, and I loved the twist! An entertaining second book in the Demonata collection.
Glenn Johnson
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I don't have much to say about this book, apart from: punk Dervish! And that it introduces some of my favourite characters in the series. However, something I forgot to put in my Lord Loss review: I can't believe I never noticed how many little references and Easter eggs and hints there were in this series! Omg there are so many. Again, 5/5 stars, perhaps a 4.8 rather than a full 5.
Shanon
Jan 26, 2010 rated it liked it
This book takes place before book #1 and is from the point of view of a different narrator. I liked learning more about the different demon dimensions as well as some of the new & old characters. I'm curious to see how this will tie in to the story line that was started with the first book.

The Demon Thief was slightly more predicitable than Lord Loss, but still a page turner.
Emily Kelly
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2019
I loved this. this book follows a new character, however some elements from Lord Loss (book #1 in the series) was mentioned. just like with Lord Loss, I found one part predictable, but I did really enjoy it :)

• Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1)
  • City of the Snakes (The City Trilogy, #3)
  • The Lonesome West
  • کاخ اژدها ( پارسیان و من ,#1)
  • راز کوه پرنده ( پارسیان و من ,#2)
  • Confessions of a Heretic: The Sacred and the Profane: Behemoth and Beyond
  • The Infects
  • The Landlady
  • A Skull in Connemara - Acting Edition
  • Isle of the Dead (Dragons of Deltora, #3)
  • Necropolis (The Gatekeepers, #4)
  • Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
  • رستاخیز فرا می‌ رسد ( پارسیان و من ,#3)
  • Evil Star (The Gatekeepers, #2)
  • Manga Matrix: Create Unique Characters Using the Japanese Matrix System (MangaMatrix, #1)
  • Stardew Valley Guidebook
  • A Dragon in the Palace (The Dragonbond Saga #2)
  • A Dragon from the Desert (The Dragonbond Saga #1)
Librarian's note: Also writes books for adults under the name Darren Dash. And in the past he has released books for adults under the names D.B. Shan and Darren O'Shaughnessy.

Darren Shan (born July 2, 1972 in London, England) is the pen name of the Irish author Darren O'Shaughnessy, as well as the name of the protagonist of his book series The Saga of Darren Shan, also known as The Cirque Du Freak

The Demonata (10 books)
  • Lord Loss (The Demonata, #1)
  • Slawter (The Demonata, #3)
  • Bec (The Demonata, #4)
  • Blood Beast (The Demonata, #5)
  • Demon Apocalypse (The Demonata, #6)
  • Death's Shadow (The Demonata, #7)
  • Wolf Island (The Demonata, #8)
  • Dark Calling (The Demonata, #9)
  • Hell's Heroes (The Demonata, #10)
“Then set the hounds loose, boy - it's time to kick demonic ass!” 27 likes