Start by marking “Don't Watch This: How the Media Are Destroying Your Life” as Want to Read:
Don't Watch This: How the Media Are Destroying Your Life

Don't Watch This: How the Media Are Destroying Your Life

An unfiltered look at the addictive properties of social media, TV, and movies on our culture, with strategies to help you reclaim control over your life.

Today, the average person spends an astonishing eight hours a day watching TV or videos online. Watching social media stories, movies, and TV is now our number one activity, outpacing everything else that we do, includ
Published June 2nd 2020 by Skyhorse

To ask other readers questions about Don't Watch This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Watch This

Start your review of Don't Watch This: How the Media Are Destroying Your Life
Shari Suarez
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Michael Rosenblum, a former producer puts forth this book about our addiction to media. He starts with a history of media, touches on reality television and the capitalism of the news. He then moves on to the amount of time we spend consuming digital media. The last section is spent on how we can take back our lives from digital media.
I thought the book had some good points but I question whether the author is the best person to tackle this subject. He's made a lot of money from media and he adm
Andrew
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was ok
“This book is a magazine article with a very high view of itself.” What my friend Stephen Board said about another book doubly applies to Don’t Watch This. Michael Rosenblum had a very successful career in television, including pioneering much “Reality” TV. After thirty years he has finally figured out it is all mindless junk. Solution: don’t be a passive viewer. Start producing your own videos. All you need is right there in your smart phone—plus some instruction, which he frustratingly never g ...more
Janet
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: k-e-k, sb
When it is snowy and cold outside (and my car is buried under 2ft of ❄️ ), superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

An unfiltered look at the a
Joe Whitfield
Apr 25, 2020 rated it liked it
"Close your eyes and quickly, tell me your perception of Africa. Disease ridden? Starving children? Civil wars? Atrocities? That is what you see because that is what you have been repeatedly shown."

Michael Rosenblum gives an insider look at how all forms of media aren't looking out for the viewer, rather pushing their own agenda for a capitalist gain.

To start with, you may this this is some self help book trying to get you to bin every screen in the house. Rather the book's aim is to highlight
Alyssa
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
3.25/5 💥💥💥

"If you are going to spend a good deal of your life immersed in the media, which it seems you are, then here is something you should now about the media. The media does not exist for you. You exist for it.... They are there to capture you."

Ooh this was an interesting read. The author included anecdotes from his career (reality tv show producer) and plenty of cited facts and statistics. I was shocked that the average American spends 8 hours a day watching tv, and spends a total of 11 ho
Mandy Peterson
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I would love to see a version of this book specifically aimed at young adults, please.

I don't believe the average adult would find this read to be earth-shattering, but it was well-presented. The author being experienced in the world of media was a helpful lens to tackle the subject of the effect of media on the lives of consumers. I think we're seeing a lot of positive and negative effects of media saturation right now.

My favorite things in the book are the ones that empower the reader as a cr
Aimee Loyet
Jun 11, 2020 rated it liked it
As a millennial in the media, I'd like to believe I'm "immune" or able to spot the addictiveness of the medium imposes on my everyday life. Yet, social media, television + other new digital outlets are too strong of a drug.

In Michael Rosenblum's "Don't Watch This", readers are taken on a descriptive journey to help understand how a seemingly innocent spark grew into the massive firestorm of media addiction our society is grappling with. Using his real-life experience combined with Rosenblum's ex
Rebecca
Apr 23, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!

The author does not understand the difference between correlation and causation. Additionally, the book is riddled with typos and issues (I read it as an e-Book, but these were legitimate spelling and grammar errors, not just a conversion issue).

Sara Goldenberg
Jul 10, 2021 rated it it was ok
Preachy and unhelpful
Susan
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
It wasn’t the type of book for me. I requested it without really reading what it was about. It was interesting and well written. About what goes on in the world today.
Susie
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for explaining todays world – full of screens! I like the fact its got comparisons in it from previous years including facts and figures. I guess it made it hit home a bit more.

Thank you NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.
Ariane Kimlinger

• The Guest List
  • One Billion Americans: The Case for Thinking Bigger
  • The Accidental Girlfriend
  • The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
  • The Mountains Sing
  • An Almost Zero Waste Life:Learning How to Embrace Less to Live More
  • World's Greatest Wonders: From Nature’s Special Places to Stunning Masterpieces Created by Outstanding Artists and Architects
  • The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock
  • The Complete Book of Textures for Artists: Step-by-step instructions for mastering more than 275 textures in graphite, charcoal, colored pencil, acrylic, and oil
  • Older, but Better, but Older

News & Interviews

The last five years of world history have been nothing if not...eventful. When living in interesting times, there's nothing better for...