Start by marking “Knox” as Want to Read:
Knox

Knox

In 1930s Manhattan, a PI who can perceive horrific supernatural phenomena investigates a strange and sinister murder. Perfect for fans of Lovecraft and noir!
Published May 20th 2020 by Serial Box

To ask other readers questions about Knox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knox

Start your review of Knox
Fiona
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shards of glass fall like shattered stars onto the snowy cobblestone streets of Manhattan. Like all the other dreams the city swallows whole, the fragments are filthy the moment they touch the ground—splashing in the clogged gutters, burying themselves in the ruined white atop heaps of trash no one bothers to claim. If it weren’t for the man landing with a grunt and a curse, the passersby might not even take notice.

Update: The full first season is now available! Review continues below :)

Three ep
Para (wanderer)
ARC received from the publisher (Serial Box) in exchange for an honest review.

I accepted this review request for several different reasons. First, the line-up sounded fantastic. Second, the setting – 1930s Manhattan. Awesome. Third, while I have read a few Lovecraft-inspired books, I have never read a noir before and I wanted to see if I can like one. I knew there was a high likelihood that it would be free of unexamined racism and sexism, which seems to be the issue with most noirs I heard of,
Frances
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythos, noir, horror, ebook, novel
Disclaimer: I received this product for free in exchange for an honest review.

In fact, I was offered this product, and when I read the message part of me thought something like "oh gosh, I have so much I've been meaning to read and I'm really not getting to most of it. Maybe I shouldn't?" In the meantime, the rest of me had parsed "Mythos", "noir", and "partly by Bolander" and was typing back something along the lines of "Yes, please, thank you."

(To be clear: the chapters from Rivera and Iglesia
Rachel
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This starts my first serial box listening experience. Caught the first three episodes and I am intrigued. Although it starts as a classic noir PI story the lovecraft elements start promptly ( thankfully without the casual racism or misogyny) this makes tasks like mowing ir gardening zip right by!

I'll add more about the show after new episodes
Tori (InToriLex)
Actual Rating 3.5

Thank you Serial Box for allowing me to listen to this Audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

This book follows Morgan Knox a Puerto Rican Detective who has supernatural abilities, as she investigates a mysterious murder. This was a well paced detective novel that had surprising LGBT and racial diversity. Knox had to navigate being a woman in a male dominated profession with visions of horrible atrocities. She was a nurse who served in the war and had to struggle with the tr
Red
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
ARC received from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

A fresh new lens on the hard-boiled aesthetic, with a slow burn of both intimacy and eldritch horror.

The authors have a clear understanding of the truths underlying hard-boiled detective cliches, which means that while this protagonist feels unique in the genre, she is entirely at home in it.

But they're also willing to move past those cliches and actually allow for some personal growth, which I was surprised by.

The occult mystery s
Alu
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
So far I'm really enjoying this series! The story is intriguing and I'm liking how the details are coming in one at a time to keep me hooked. Morgan Knox is a really interesting character and I really look forward to continuing! The narration is fun and I like the classic radio drama feel.

(This review and my rating are subject to change as the story updates)
Lis Carey
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morgan Knox, an Afro-Latina detective in 1930s New York City, is called to look at a body--the body of a man whom she'd recently met with. The remains are bones and ashes, with a strange coating, and nothing else burned. Is this connected to the case he recently hired her for?

Quite possibly. Morgan was a field nurse during the Great War, and she came back from that experience seeing bizarre and horrifying supernatural phonomena. The more she pokes into this case, the more strange and confounding
Cmoore
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found myself hard-pressed to like Knox, and I'm not quite sure sure why. But seriously it took me about half a book before I got sucked into the story action! It could be as simple as I might have been in a better mood when I power-binged though the last half dozen episodes, and so that would be on me... but as a "noir style" piece (something that I generally love), I felt that it let me down... hard!
I couldn't suspend my disbelief long enough to get that this person of color, this lesbian wom
Martha

This is pretty creepy but an excellent story and narration. I listened on my walk in the morning and each episode was just about the right length to get my 2 miles in.
Sara
Aug 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Listened to the audiobook. Took a minute to get into it, but I ended up enjoying the story.
Rafa

• Marvel's Jessica Jones: Playing with Fire
  • Marvel's Black Panther: Sins of the King
  • False Idols
  • Orphan Black: The Next Chapter
  • Ninth Step Station: The Complete Season 1 (Ninth Step Station #1.1-1.10)
  • The Vela
  • The Triangle
  • Alternis
  • Bookburners: The Complete Season 1 (Bookburners #1.1-1.16)
  • Dark Heights, Season 1
  • The First Sister (The First Sister Trilogy, #1)
  • Marvel's Black Widow: Bad Blood
  • Low Life
  • Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
  • Marvel's Thor: Metal Gods
See top shelves…
Puerto Rico born and New York raised, K is a lifelong fan of all things nerdy. She drew on her love of tabletop gaming for her debut novel, THE TIGER'S DAUGHTER. An out and proud queer, she lives in Brooklyn with her partner. ...more

News & Interviews