Start by marking “Starting from Scratch (Starting From, #2)” as Want to Read:
Starting from Scratch (Starting From, #2)

Starting from Scratch

(Starting From #2)

Charlie Rourke is an ultra fabulous human whirlwind on a mission to launch the next biggest band in the world. However, he might have taken on more than he could handle when he signed on to manage Zero. Promoting a rock band and finding gigs shouldn’t be hard. They’re a talented group with a ton of star power. If Charlie can find the right record label, he’s sure he can he ...more
Published October 15th 2019 by Lane Hayes

To ask other readers questions about Starting from Scratch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starting from Scratch

Start your review of Starting from Scratch (Starting From, #2)
Judith

Ever since Charlie was introduced in book one I've been dying to read his story and it definitely didn't disappoint.This is book two and while it isn't a follow-up,the stories are connected so I would advise reading that first.Also to fully appreciate the characters and the family dynamics,especially Charlie's-I even struggled a bit initially remembering things.

So Charlie is just a bit fabulous (I'm sure he'd use that word to describe himself!).
Sassy,driven,immaculately turned out-a true force o
Dia
4,5 stars

This is the second book in the Starting from series by Lane Hayes. It can be read as a standalone but I advise you to read the first book too to better understand the dynamics between the characters and to avoid spoilers about other characters.

I loved this second book much more than the first one. I got invested into the story pretty quickly. Both main characters are lovable, sweet, interesting.

I adored Ky/Kyle! He was amazing with his surfer appearance and his love to skateboard. Beh
~Mindy Lynn~
5 Stars!

I really enjoyed this one. I especially loved the chemistry between the two MC's. Loved this one so much more than the first.

Charlie is a whirlwind of words and I adored him and his antics as much as Ky did. Ky... I am all about this skater boy and is carefree spirit. He was the calm to Charlie's chaos. They balanced each other so well. I loved how much Ky wanted Charlie. Wanted his attention, his words, his body, and in the end, his heart. Charlie wanted Ky just as much and couldn't be
Jan
Oct 16, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish-dnf
Shelves: lgbtq
DNF 42%

Oh, man....

I really loved book one and was super excited to read Charlie's story. He is a great character, sassy, witty and funny. However, this story is missing the most crucial thing in a romance: chemistry.

I hope it works better for other readers; this is just my opinion.

Peace! ✌🏻
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

Great addition to the series. I quite liked Charlie. And Ky!

Some bits seemed a bit repetitive...descriptions of Charlie's dads and family dynamic. His self-worth issues. All explained through internal monologue.

Didn't ruin the story for me.

Hoping Tegan gets a book....maybe with Declan as the love interest? There's definitely something there!

Lane Hayes for the win once again!
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio - 4 Stars
Story - 4 Stars

The story gets 4 stars but Charlie gets all the fabulous stars!! Loved him!!
Cadiva
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

The second entry in Lane Hayes' rock band series is an absolute classic tale of a pairing which really shouldn't work on paper but in actuality are utterly perfect.

Charlie has no filter, he's hilarious but his outward confidence is hiding a young man who still feels abandoned by his movie producer dad even though they have a good relationship. Kyle is laidback, a skater dude who exudes cool vibes but is hiding his own set of secret hurts.

Together they spark like a firecracker and the dialogu
Fabi
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Opposites attract!

Fabulous Charlie is one of a kind. Not only out and proud, but out and proud and loud. His thoughts (and his mouth) go a mile a minute. He's emotional yet very smart. Few things (or people) can stand in his way. Managing the band Zero is a dream come true for him. He'll be able to branch out on his own without depending on his Dad's influence. He is determined to make it work. He doesn't need a sexy, bass playing, skater boy distracting him from his goals. Thank goodness that d
W.
RE-LISTENING on October 1, 2020

December 26, 2019

I enjoyed reading Starting From Scratch but listening to it, was even better!

Starting From Scratch is one of the hottest , sweetest and quirky , friends to lovers , M/M, Rock Star Romance I read in 2019 .

And now, I am adding listened, to the statement above.

Michael Dean narration was exciting, enthusiastic, engaging and OTT.
His performance of the hot AF, explicit - dirty-smutty and utterly delicious sexy times were A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. This audio is so
Sheri
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-to-come
I've decided to hit the pause button...
and wait to gather my thoughts on this one until after I've had the chance to go back and read the first book...then revisit this one.
At this point, I think my feelings might change once I fill in some of the missing (emotional) gaps.
I think it will be a much more enjoyable read once I have the foundation I think is missing.

**review to come at a later date.....**
Ky
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2019
When I read the first book I wasn't sure if I liked Charlie or not. He was pretty chaotic and he talked non-stop about everything and nothing. I thought it would be exhausting to read a whole book with him as a main character. But.... I was so so wrong about him!

Charlie is a sweet person with a huge personality and a heart of gold. He is strong and loyal. It turns out that he only talks a mile a minute when he's nervous or he wants to divert the attention somewhere else. The rest of the time he
.Lili.

Lane Hayes is one of my all-time favorite authors. There's something about her storytelling that always hits the spot for me- and now that's she writing in dual POVs-

Anyhoo, let's get to Ky and> Charlie.

-Highlights:

-Love their personalities, and their opposite personalities helped ground the other. Soothe the noises in the other's head. One is a force of nature, and the other is laid back and will face things as they come.

-Chemistry was there from the start. You could feel the UST jumping off
Renée
Oct 19, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf, mm-romance
DNF at 10%. I don't like Charlie. Not even a little.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, lgbtq, arc, indigo
Lane Hayes is one of my absolute favorites, for real. I love getting to read her books and am rarely disappointed by her stories. I smile, I laugh, I sometimes get a little misty eyed and, well, I almost always get hot and bothered if you know what I mean ;o)

This is a perfect example. I freaking loved this book. The more I think about it the more perfect it becomes.

This was such a great addition to this series. We got to meet Charlie in Starting from Zero and I knew his story would be special be
Annery
***4.5***

"That's exactly what I want, Char. Crowd me, overwhelm me. I don't want space. I want you."
Lane Hayes delivers a romantic book without schmaltz, pretense, operatic drama, or false angst. Sure, there's Charlie who may be some folk's idea of 'too much' but is really just an authentic person in a sea generics.

I say do yourself a favor and read this series in order because it's really the story of a rock band in the modern world, from soup to nuts. Each installment delivers the love story
haletostilinski
3.5 stars!

I gotta say, I didn't love this as much as I was hoping to. While I liked Ky and Charlie individually - although for me Charlie took some warming up to - and together they had their moments and they had chemistry pop out here and there, I found the story and their relationship somewhat lacking.

Now don't get me wrong, I liked this enough to round up instead of down, and there were certainly enjoyable parts throughout this, but I was just missing a little too much to give this a full 4 s
Nadine Bookaholic
What's hotter than watching two people fight the chemistry that is between them. I mean really it's like total foreplay for when they finally come together and that is exactly what we have with Charlie and Ky. These two men are so different from one another, yet they are a lot alike when it comes to relationships and their fears and this has to do with the way they were both raised.

Charlie is out and loud and proud and a whirlwind of energy always on the go, always needing to do something. Where
~nikki the recovering book addict
4 Charlie stars!

I love Charlie! He cracks me up so hard 🤣 it’s been awhile since I’ve read a book about bands and Hollywood/entertainment industry. It’s not a new storyline, definitely something that’s been done over and over again. But! The execution was awesome. Especially the characters. Charlie definitely made up for a lot of this book.

I still don’t have the inclination to read book one but I’ll definitely keep a look out for the next book though 😬
Joyfully Jay
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Starting from Scratch is the second book in Lane Hayes’ Starting From series that focuses on various members of an indie band called Zero. Picking up pretty much where the first novel left off, we get to know Ky, the bassist for the band, and their new manager, Charlie. I have to tell you that I loved Charlie from the start. His straightforward approach to just about everything was refreshing and often humorous. But it was the dynamic between him and Ky that made th
Karen
Before I start this review...let's just take a minute...

to admire the view (and by view I mean cover)...ok, now let's move on...

"Starting From Scratch" is the next installment in the series 'Starting From' by Lane Hayes and for me the second book was a bit more enjoyable than the first one. I'm not saying that the first one was bad, just that for me this one was a little bit better.

We met both Charlie Rourke and Ky Baldwin in "Starting From Zero". Charlie became the manager for the band, Zer
Andrea D
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like the first book, this one has two strong main characters.

I liked the dynamics between Ky and Charlie and again all those views and thoughts on life.

Can't wait what's next...Tegan? I am really curious.
Emily Seelye
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: musicians, m-m, arc
It’s been a while since I’ve had a book pull me in to the point I finished in a day.

I loved this.
ConM
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance, ku, 2019
Good. Consistent with what to expect from Lane Hayes.
Mickie Ashling
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one more than the first book in the series. I met Charlie in Starting From Zero and was immediately drawn to this mercurial character. I couldn't wait to read his story. He and Ky were a good fit after they got past the drama. Great narration by Michael Pauley. Recommended!
Sebastian
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, lgbt, romance, arc, m-m, so-good
This book was provided by the author via IndiGo Marketing & Design in exchange for an honest review

Rating: 4,5

Leave it to Lane Hayes to get me out of my reading slump.
Starting from Scratch is the second book in the >Starting From series. While it technically can be read as an standalone, I recomend reading Starting From Zero first as the story of the band progresses through both books.

I absolutely loved Starting from Scratch, even more than the first one (and I loved it). Charlie was the bre
Athira
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, awesome-series
This book is fabulous!!! I loved this one even more than the first and I didn't think that was possible. While this is a standalone, I do recommend that you read the first book to enjoy this one to the fullest.

Charlie is an enigma. He's fabulous, confident, sarcastic and million other things that I could never describe. To say he's my favourite character would be an understatement. Charlie and Ky have an amazing chemistry. I love their banter, pranks and how happy they made each other.And the se
Shannon

I loved Charlie, have since we met him in Starting from Zero! He's fun and flamboyant, and has a heart of gold. Ky is about as opposite as you can get from Charlie- the epitome of the laid back skater boy, but with a caring heart of his own.
*A little lightbulb moment here- I think I just realized opposites attract is one of my favorite tropes!*
I really enjoyed the banter between these 2, and the way they were just so perfect for each other, even if they couldn't see it at first. I love when a c
bookfaerie
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Lane proves why she's a favorite of mine. Her storytelling is just what I am always looking for in a good book. Her MC's are lovable and vulnerable and messy but full of emotion and sweet hearts.

Ky and Charlie have a lot of angsty feelings brewing between them. When they finally give in to the feelings behind all the playful jabs, we get a whole bunch of sexy being shared. I adore Charlie's fabulous-ness but even more I completely fell for Ky's sweet and nerdy awkwardness. He's a cu
DepictonFiction
Ky is so super cool. Especially with Oliver. I loved his attitude. Taking things one day at a time. Charlie is a handful but that a big part of his charm. Because they take things day by day and they obviously meant to be, I found it a bit lulling towards the end. Putting some sex scenes in just as page filling doesn’t work for me. That’s the only reason why I’m not giving it 5 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Game On (Fever Falls #5)
  • Reindeer Games (Ace's Wild, #6)
  • Boyfriend 101 (Fever Falls #6)
  • All for Wesley (Pineapple Grove #2)
  • Reunion (Ace's Wild #7)
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic #1)
  • Pretty Perfect (Boys in Makeup, #1)
  • Mr. Right Now
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Beautiful Temptation (So This Is Christmas #2)
  • Hometown Christmas
  • Resonance (Rhythm of Love #2)
  • Hat Trick (Fake Boyfriend #5)
  • Lust Hate Love (Fallen Angel, #4)
  • Ready for You (Oahu Lovers, #3)
  • Science & Jockstraps (Ace's Wild, #1)
  • Bailey (Confessions, #6)
Lane Hayes loves a good romance! She’s the bestselling author of the Out in College, Starting From, Better Than, A Kind Of, Right and Wrong, and Leaning Into Series! Lane loves red wine, chocolate and travel (in no particular order). All things she can find in sunny SoCal where she lives with her amazing husband in a not quite empty nest.

Starting From (3 books)
  • Starting from Zero (Starting From #1)
  • Starting From Here (Starting From, #3)