Start by marking “Nox Pareidolia” as Want to Read:
Nox Pareidolia

Nox Pareidolia

From the Bram Stoker Award-nominated editor of the 2018 This is Horror Anthology of the Year, ASHES AND ENTROPY, comes a new vision of weird and horrific ambiguity. Nox Pareidolia includes tales by Laird Barron, S.P. Miskowski, Brian Evenson, Gwendolyn Kiste, Micheal Wehunt, Kristi DeMeester, Christopher Ropes, Zin E. Rocklyn, Paul Jessup, Doungjai Gam, Don Webb and Duane ...more
Kindle Edition, Kindle Edition, 599 pages
Published October 31st 2019 by Nightscape Press

To ask other readers questions about Nox Pareidolia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nox Pareidolia

Start your review of Nox Pareidolia
Sadie Hartmann
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
Review to come, sending this one to SCREAM Mag.
Eva
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*** Review copy purchased online from Nightscape Press ***
With stunning artwork from Luke Spooner, this horror anthology from Nightscape Press features such a wide swathe of talented and diverse authors, and it is definitely not the same old parade of the “usual suspects.” It deviates from relying on the formula of using a few “big names” to sell the anthology, mixed in with mostly less widely-known authors. Readers with their pulse on who is doing some of the best work in the genre right now o
Lou
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
New artistry from great voices, perceptions old and new, interjecting the reader into new zones, taking you to the precipice of fears, perplexities, and realms colliding, a phenomenon of weirdness and horrification before you with pareidolia.
These tales that follow are the ones that worked from me and reviewed of the many in the collection.

Watch Me Burn with the Light of Ghosts
by Paul Jessup

Starts with rabbit masked killers, there be no run rabbit, instead rabbit coming to folks of a town in mas
Kirsty
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Several stand-out stories here:

8x10 by Duane Pesice & Don Webb
Hello by Michael Wehunt (never thought I'd read a horror story about a Lionel Richie song – and that it would actually be creepy)
The Little Drawer Full of Chaos by Annie Neugebauer
When the Nightingale Devours the Stars by Gwendolyn Kiste
Christi Nogle
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very full and enjoyable anthology. Some of my favorite stories were “Hello” by Michael Wehunt, “Gardening Activities for Couples” by Alvaro Zinos-Amaro, “Sincerely Eden” by Amelia Gorman, “Merge Now” by Kurt Fawver, “The Little Drawer Full of Chaos” by Annie Neugebauer, and “8 X 10” by Duane Pesice and Don Webb.
TJ Price
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I admit, I skipped around a bit in this anthology. I specifically picked it up for Zin E. Rocklyn's contribution, after reading her gorgeous story "The Night Sun" on tor.com, but since the stories are specifically not attributed to authors (only titles are given in the table of contents), I started at the beginning. I'm glad that I did, because otherwise I would've missed some real gems.

The strongest story in this collection is, by far, Michael Wehunt's "Hello." To say much more about it would b
Phillip Smith
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm not going to lie but a few stories in and I was only feeling a little ho-hum about this anthology. Don't get me wrong, the writing was strong, the art excellent, and the stories creative, but I just wasn't connecting. Then comes Michael Wehunt's excellent, "Hello," and everything seemed to click.

This is a very wide-ranging collection. The horrors within each story taking us on their own unique path. But I assure you, there is a lot in here to love. And a lot of new authors to discover.

Stand
Jeff Beesler
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great anthology!

This collection has a lot of awesome short stories. My favorite one is The Nightinggale Devours the Stars. although every tale is a great part of this book. I look forward to reading more collections like this in the future!
Cat Voleur
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked this collection a lot.

One of my favorite things about it was how much the stories required me to think. Within the timespan of just a few pages I'd get lost in these elaborate and abstract worlds. The downside of that was that I tended to get lost in my own head as much as in the stories, and when I finally put the book down they had all blended together into a single sort of conceptual nightmarish dreamscape.

It wasn't until after I finished that I had the notion maybe I should have read
Angela
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely stunning collection of literary horror. This anthology blew me away. I generally shy away from anthologies because they can be so hit or miss. A single story in an anthology that I dislike can make me feel uninspired to keep on reading. Not the case for this one!

Every story here was quality, with several stand out selections. My favorites were the stories from Gwendolyn Kiste, S.P. Miskowski, Annie Neugebauer, and Kristi DeMeester.

If this collection has a theme, it’s “ambiguity.” T
Rude Gurl
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent group of short horror stories! There wasn't a single story here I didn't like and some blew me away, especially Laird Barron's and Gwendolin Kriste's. I only wish I knew how to pronounce the title! ...more
Lolapaige
On my DNF list. I honestly didn't make it through more than two stories. Just not my cup of tea. ...more
Des Lewis
Jan 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
And I continue to study this Edwards story itself as well as the whole of this important anthology in a similar open-minded way as ‘you’, fathoming whether I shall ever get to the bottom here of the aesthetic, religious, political, historical and literary-noxious mythos of pareidolia, ‘NOXious’ being the word that has now suddenly, as I write this in real-time, been derived from reading the Toase above, earlier today. And — by dint of this massive book in particular, as assisted by a shorter Par ...more
literate cat
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
They oscillate.

The good ones in here are excellent, hence the four stars. If you like weird fiction or horror, I'd definitely recommend this one, just be aware that some of the shorts in here are a bit...bland. Not bad, just "meh," so to speak. If nothing else there's some great art in here.

The greatest weakness that keeps cropping up consistently is that quite a few of these have weak endings. That being said, the good ones are interesting and weird and have some excellent imagery. This was fu
Anton_Asher
Sep 02, 2020
Jay Dougherty
Jun 15, 2020
Henrik
rated it did not like it
Dec 26, 2020
Alyssa A Brewer
Apr 30, 2020
Paul Jessup
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rob Hinkle

• Children of the Fang and Other Genealogies
  • In an Instant
  • The Coming of the Old Ones
  • The Shape of Night
  • Nights in Punktown: A Trio of Dark Science Fiction Stories (The Jeffrey Thomas Chapbook Series 2)
Robert S. Wilson was an author once. Now he spends every day trying to swim out of an unending slush pile and back into the dark moneyless void of being a writer. He continues to fail. He’s also the editor of Nox Pareidolia and Ashes and Entropy.

Robert's short fiction has appeared in numerous publications including ​Vastarien: A Literary Journal, ​Nature Futures, Daily Science Fiction, ​Factor Fou