Start by marking “Halstad House” as Want to Read:
Halstad House

Halstad House

A rambling white house. An unopened letter. A young woman in need of a miracle.

Halstad House offers more than lodgings and a good meal to boarders. In the aftermath of World War I, the boarding house gives Grace Halstad a way to drown her heartache in never-ending work. Seeds of bitterness have grown in her heart, but as much as she tries to shut Him out, the Lord is not g
Published 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about Halstad House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halstad House

Start your review of Halstad House
Chautona Havig
3 Reasons I'm Thankful for This New Release

Characters. That’s the first one. Just as she did with her first book, Christy Martenson created a cast of various characters who stayed consistent—even in their personal growth arc. I’ll admit, Allie was my favorite. Martenson writes a realistic and interesting child and in a way that doesn’t make you feel like you should be reading a children’s book. Each family member and friend appeared as distinct individuals who captured my attention and made me w
Hannah
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“I firmly believe God is still in the business of miracles.”

You’ll fall in love with the scent of cinnamon rolls, the wide front porch, the piney woods, and the approachable characters of Christy Martenson’s second novel. Set in the upper reaches of Washington state in the years following WWI, “Halstad House” is the charming story of family, faith, romance (of course!), and just a *few* mishaps involving the family pets.

It may sound from my description like the fluffy stuff of mainstream Chris
Linda
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christy Martenson has written a lovely historical fiction story located in northeastern Washington State. Set in the era right after World War I, the author has captured the aura of the time. Like a memory, we are given snapshots from the language of the time to canning produce and showing the normal daily living.
Grace lost her beloved husband in the war. But he left her with a daughter, Allie, and their home, Halstad House. Grace, looking for a way to support herself and Allie, accepted boarde
Rachelle Cobb
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't remember the last time a book caught and captured my soul! Through a delightful cast of characters who quickly became friends and a sweet, gentle grace that speaks of the love of the Father, Christy Martenson has woven an intricate journey of the heart into a story you won't soon forget. Pull up a chair and a cozy mug, and be prepared to laugh and cry your way from beginning to end.
Jennifer Church
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading Halstad House was like developing a friendship; each chapter unveiled the personalities and entertaining quirks of Grace, Allie, Esther, and Ethan a little more. Watching Grace wrestle with challenges brought this book alive in a realistic way. Here’s hoping that there’s a sequel out there, because I’d love to deepen my friendships with these characters.
Celeste Engell
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first thing that intrigued me about this book us that it is set in my local area-northeast Washington. I love that! But this book stands on its own merits as an enjoyable read about relatable characters. If you enjoy gentle and uplifting
romance from a Christian perspective you will love this book!
Challice Neipp
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Christy Martenson wrote a sweet treat book. The kind you want to grab a warm cup of coffee, favorite treat (maybe some of Grace's cinnamon rolls) and cuddle up with the characters from Halstead House.

I loved the detail Martenson put into the domestic life of the early twentieth century. My heart was with Grace as she washed, and enjoyed the "simple " life. I loved how Grace was peeled back in layers like an onion. Allie reminds me of one of my own kids, although of a different gender. They woul
colleen strong
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Five star book!!

This book was sent to me by my daughter who had just finished reading it. It is an excellent book full of joy and laughter, sadness and tears, sermons that touched my heart, suspense that leaves you on the edge of your seat, wondering how everything will work out. I loved every minute of reading it. An excellently written book!
Abbie Brink
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"She laid the unopened letter atop the others, along with her hopes, her dreams, her very life. Maybe even her God." This quote is what made me stay glued to my kindle from beginning to end! I didn't want to put Halstad House down.

The characters come alive and seem like friends. I found myself thinking about them and the situations that they were in and wanting to pray for them. I wanted Grace to open that letter that she put aside so long ago and see what kind of impact it would have on her li
Brenda Gates
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Christy's first book, "Love, Mary Elizabeth," and was looking forward to her second. I was not disappointed!
Christy has a unique voice and a true storyteller's gift. She brings the characters to life so well you really feel like they are real people that you have gotten to know. The challenges for women, especially as a widow after the war, required so much strength and determination. Grace has those in boatloads. Her journey in trying to reconcile herself to the loss of her husband, her
Gretchen Louise
Christy Martenson has woven a tale rife with laughter and loveable characters. But Halstad House also brings tears to my eyes every time I read it.

Poignant. Sweet. Positively delightful. Halstad House is one of those books that invites you into the story and makes you feel like you're friends with the characters. Whether you're laughing at Allie's latest capers or empathizing with Grace's journey toward restoration, Halstad House is sure to touch your heart.

If you're already a fan of Love, Mary
Kristen Oliver
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christy Martenson’s second book is a good choice for anyone who enjoys an easy-read journey through character growth and development. The storyline unfolds at a gentle pace, with rich substance. Grace and Allie’s humor, courage, and walk of faith will endear them to you as they discover hope and joy on the other side of tragedy.
Sara
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Halstad House is a comfortable read that you don’t really want to end. The characters draw you in to their individual stories and make you root for the desired outcome. Some important take-aways: finding love doesn’t guarantee a sorrow-free life, true love is best achieved with a solid foundation of friendship, and love is most meaningful when expressed in both word and deed.
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, enchanting, engaging story filled with cozy and strength.
Sarah Larson anderson
Jt Furbay
Andrea Stoeckel
Sandra
Nov 22, 2019

• Dual Power of Convenience (Merriweather Island #1)
  • Scrumptious Independence (Merriweather Island #2)
  • Secret Beach Boyfriend (Merriweather Island #3)
  • Christmas on Breakers Point (Independence Islands #1)
  • Jane by the Book
  • Snuffed Out (Wilkester Mysteries Book 2)
  • Byrd's Eye View (Meddlin' Madeline Mysteries Book 5)
  • Brought to Book (Wilkester Mysteries #1)
  • Hashtag Rogue (The Agency Files Book 5)
  • Merri's Christmas Mission
  • Under the Christmas Star (Crossroads Collection)
  • My Name is Eva
  • Driftwood Dreams (Carolina Coast #2)
  • Anonymouse
  • An Uncommon Courtship (Hawthorne House, #3)
  • A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)
  • Iced Over (Barks & Beans Cafe Cozy Mystery, #2)
  • Above the Fold
Christy Martenson lives in rural northeast Washington state. She has been married to her husband Keith for over 35 years. Together they homeschooled their two now grown daughters.

News & Interviews

“Her eyes softened. 'And in His sovereignty, He can take even the most painful things in our lives and somehow turn them into good, just as He promised in His Word. He can give us beauty for ashes. Again, we don’t understand how. We see the moment; He sees the whole—eternity past through eternity future. He promises weeping may tarry for the night, but joy cometh in the morning.'
Tears sprang into Grace’s eyes. She slipped her gaze to Mae again and gave her a tremulous smile. 'It is better, but still hard.'
'I know, dear. But this is not the end of your story.”
1 likes