Start by marking “Happy Days With The Naked Chef” as Want to Read:
Happy Days With The Naked Chef

Happy Days With The Naked Chef

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  6,153 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
The Naked Chef is for people who want great modern food but who also want things simple - people who work for a living, so haven't got time or energy to spend all night cooking. It is all about giving people confidence and getting them to feel at ease in the kitchen. This book presents recipes for different occasions, whether you want healthy food, portable grub, one-pot m ...more
Published 2001 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about Happy Days With The Naked Chef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Days With The Naked Chef

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,139 books — 1,059 voters
The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister SouljahPush by SapphireTrue to the Game by Teri WoodsB-More Careful by Shannon HolmesThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X
Good Urban Literature
157 books — 278 voters

More lists with this book...

Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Last week when I was in New York, I met the editor who discovered Jamie Oliver. He says Jamie's one of the most genuine guys you'll ever meet. Somehow, I'm not surprised by that comment. I love his cookbooks. The recipes are hard to mess up. A couple glugs, handfuls, and pinches and you're good to go.
Caroline
Feb 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Some hits, some misses, but what a cute boy.
Darya Conmigo
May 13, 2010 rated it liked it
I haven't looked at the other Jamie's books yet, but I'm definitely going to now. This one has quite a few ideas that I liked in it - baking stuff in foil "bags", several easy salad dressings, different variations of bread based on the same basic recipe... What's even more, there is an air of lightness and happiness that this cookbook has about it: nice photographs, laid-back tone of the recipes - it's more like reading a good blog in a paper format than a "proper" cookbook. I think it would mak ...more
May 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: established cooks
I really enjoyed this cookbook, and use several of the recipies in it as staples inmy family, most notably the chicken in milk and the sweet and sour pot-roated chicken. There are a few recipies that are not worth the effort, such as the rock hen in dough, but overall I' d say it's a lively book which really appeals to my desire for easy, "fancy" dishes. I'd say this isn't for some beginners becasue not every ingredient is measured exactly but I don't really think it would be much of a problem. ...more
Terri
Apr 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
i don't know why the british get such grief for their cooking/cuisine... yes, it is true, that if you hang out in london, most of cuisine is imported (in december, i had the most amazing Indian at The Red Fort and the most delectable Sichuan at Bar Shu -- both in SOHO) but even the traditional foods get me excited.... i love sandwiches made with crusty bread, black currant tea, high tea with all those cucumber and egg sandwiches, clotted cream, Digestives, fish & chips.... and i love jamie o ...more
Gillian
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookery
Jamie and Nigella were two of THE celebrity chefs of the new millennium so if you love making delicious food at home that has an extra edge, then you probably already have one or more of their cookery books.
This is one of my favourite Jamie Oliver books although Jamie's Dinners is also excellent, and of course his original Naked Chef is great.
10 years on and Jamie and Nigella now irritate as many people as they delight, but their recipes remain fantastic.
They work, they are not long and overly-
Miriam "Mayang" Azurin
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book comes with high quality photos of Jamie's cooking and Jaime and his family. As a photographer-hobbyist, I like the way the photos were blended because it brings the message that cooking as central to a warm family life. There is a centerfold of "the missus", a photo of Jamie and his wife sharing a beer and a shot of Jamie's hands cooking, one finger with ring on it. That broke my heart completely. Hahaha! I love the idea too that it comes with a narrative of how best to do things and w ...more
Hayley
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I was this given this cook book as a birthday present on my 18th birthday by friends from sixth form. The general idea was that when I was at uni I would be able to cook for myself - I went to uni and lived in catered halls. Jamie Oliver uses simple language and the food he is describing look yummy. Now I am living at home, my uses the cook book and the food doesn't just look good anymore, it taste fantastic.
Rita Brinkerhoff
Feb 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cookbook perusers - don't buy it, check it out at the library!
I read this on the Bookmobile waiting for non-existent patrons. I didn't make anything directly from it, because I am a dork about not using recipes, but I found out about new spice combinations and I wasn't annoyed by Jamie Oliver's persona yet. Now is a little different story. His recipes are looking awesome though.
Kristīne Līcis
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking, favorites
Browsing this book in early 2002 caused a revelation - cooking can be fun! And you are not required to be funereal and solemn! You can have a glass of wine while you wait for something to boil! Hallelujah!

I don't (and never will) cook 3 times a day, but when a bout of domesticity hits, this is a book I turn to. Pot-roasted chicken with sweet and sour sauce is an all-time favourite.
Stacy
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This may be my favorite of all of Oliver's books so far. The things I loved about his earlier books (gorgeous photography, personable narrations of the dishes) are still here, but the recipes are focused on simple meals to make at home with family, all very doable and tempting. I would tag this one as the "must have" Jamie Oliver cookbook out of them all.
LaLa
Nov 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: foodie
I love the way Jamie wants to make everything excessible and flexbile. I think those are fantastic traits in a chef. i also love how he writes his recipes, he does it in paragraph form...
That said, there were only a few recipes I was actually able to apply to cook at home. And there is A LOT of BUTTER in EVERYTHING.
Lauren4johnson
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
He is a little too vague at times with his cheeky Brit terms, baking containers (sizes), and measurements. I never follow recipes word for word, so I kind of like the vagueness , that is until I used a totally wrong "pie dish." All in all, great ideas, beautiful cooking and I'd still like another one of his cookbooks. :)
melody mooney
May 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I adore Jamie Oliver. He is the Rock Star of the Cooking Worlds. So cute and cheeky and clever. I call him my boyfriend and Mark is ok with that. This book is a good place to start with him, it's simple and fun, bright and easy peasy. Just like Jamie. Cheers!
Cristina Gaspar
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book, food
From the series of the naked chef books this one is my favourite. I guess is due to the simplicity of the recipes, without loosing flavour or healthy content! I highlighted tons of recipes I want to try out :)
Natalia
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who are adventurous but like comfort food at the same time
Recommended to Natalia by: I found it on amazon and bought it with a gift card
love it! I have paged through this book many times and put in sticky notes on practically every page. We made about 4 of the recipes but I have not gotten through with all of the delicious looking marked recipes.
Ietrio
May 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
It seems that aluminum foil is a bad idea in the mix of high temperature oven and food. At least not healthy. But this guy is being hold as holy for the organic/bio crowd and frozen food is bad. Quite hypocritical.
Deb
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Just made the Spaghetti with Sweet Cherry Tomatoes, Marjoram, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil (using raw zucchini spaghetti in place of pasta). Very Good!

This book, like most of Jamie's cookbooks that I have tried is full of simple recipes using fresh, whole ingredients.
Lisa's book adventures
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Always delicious recipes, and non deceiving pictures; it shows the food in a 'I could have made this' way.
Success guaranteed with this book.
Kecia
Jun 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Jamie Oliver has an amazing ability to create simple recipes that bring out the natural flavors of real food. I'm addicted his recipe for Braised Greens now. So simple, so delicious.
Rehan Abd Jamil
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What can I say, happy days !!!
Aug 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Probably my favorite and the most useful of the Naked Chef cookbooks.
Emily
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This guy's books are consistently useful. Tons of practical and tasty dishes. Excellent.
Mary
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great first cookbook - easy to read/follow and he uses fresh ingredients.
Heather
Oct 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Solid recipes, easy to use and fun.
Lovebites
Jul 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Ik heb er nog niet veel klaargemaakt, maar je moet gewoon een Jamie Oliver kookboek in huis hebben.
Grace Gunawan
  • The Cook's Companion
  • Gordon Ramsay's Healthy Appetite. Food by Mark Sargeant
  • Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible
  • Culinaria Italy

James Trevor "Jamie" Oliver, sometimes known as The Naked Chef, is an English chef and media personality well known for his growing list of food-focused television shows, his more recent roles in campaigning against the use of processed foods in national schools, and his ca
More about Jamie Oliver