Start by marking “Each Little Universe” as Want to Read:
Each Little Universe

Each Little Universe

If Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett had written an earnestly nerdy story in a setting running on the ridiculous logic of Scott Pilgrim, it might have come out something like this.

For two oddball inventors, taking care of an unexpected new arrival - a girl from the stars - is hard enough. Dealing with the things that want her back may turn out to be harder.

A story about love
Published April 30th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Each Little Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Each Little Universe

Start your review of Each Little Universe
Victoria Sigsworth
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is very different to those I usually read. Why did I read this? Well I have to be honest and say my son has an acknowledgement in it and I heard a lot about it obviously. Also getting to read debut novels is not something I do very often.
I was going to include a review of the plot but as there are already several reviews which do this and I usually don't, I won't.
When I first started to read this book, I felt an instant warmth to it as the conversation between Veggie and TM read and s
Alex
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-bookcase
(An audio version of this review can be heard here: https://youtu.be/cPqrMSDfD0s)

There’s a line in Each Little Universe in which a character asks "Are you actually squeeing over the band of a guy we hang out with, like, every day?" That’s me being able to read this.

This review was written from reading an advanced copy - I’ve never reviewed an advance copy before but I’d like to thank the author, Chris Durston, for the opportunity. Although I’d have probably never read this book if I weren’t, bei
Chris Durston
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
‘Ello. Author ‘ere. Thought I’d tell you a little bit about what you can expect from this book, since I think how you go into it might make a difference to how you enjoy it.

It’s not exactly a tightly-woven masterpiece of pacing and neat plotting. It’s a slightly odd slice-of-life urban fantasy in which a lot of time is spent hanging out with a bunch of slightly odd people who love each other very much and get into big philosophical questions via talking about pop culture: video games, pro wrestl
Solarayo
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full review available on my website: http://aceasunder.com

It’s indescribably awesome how we just gravitate toward certain people, click with them, and grow close bonds of true friendship with them, eh? Each Little Universe certainly captures that befriending magic right out of the gate and evolves those connections into something wonderfully cosmic. There are many more forms of love than just the often written about sexual kind, and I love how all forms of love get some… er, love in this story.

T
Erica Warren
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story is completely ridiculous and I loved it!

It's also utterly hilarious. I got such a profound sense of the author, Chris Durston's, personality because his quirky, unique voice really shines through the characters.

I think the biggest reason this strange book works so well is that it acknowledges its own ridiculousness. Every once in a while you see the characters come back to touch reality for a moment, and it's a bit sobering when that happens.

It's kind of tough to condense this book
Tony
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Each Little Universe is a light-hearted, delightful little romp around town with your geeky friends. Let me explain:

The story is basically about two guys who try to invent things for a living who meet a girl while walking down the street who claims to be a star; Not a celebrity, but an actual star who came down from the sky. The two bring her into their lives and their lot in life changes in many quirky and unexpected ways.

I began reading this right as the COVID-19 quarantine started making ever
Hannah Richards
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This wouldn't be the typical book I would go for but Chris manages to write a book that asks some big questions but in a fun and exciting way. The characters are each weird in their own way but are still characters you can easily relate to. I'm already looking forward to Chris's next release! ...more
Denise
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2020
This novel begins when two hapless inventors, not overly burdened with success, encounter a girl who is really a star, which is just as silly and absurd as it sounds. Just go with it. If you do, you'll find that Chris Durston turns this intriguing yet downright preposterous premise into a wildly entertaining ride replete with lighthearted geeky humour, casual diversity (oh, how I love the casual diversity!), and lovable quirky characters which every so often slips in moments of sincerity, tender ...more
Siobhan Kelley
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable light read with the blurb perfectly depicting the narrative without spoiling it. Perfect book to read during coronavirus and makes me miss gaming sessions with friends.
Rebecca Crunden
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
How do you cheer up a star?

I hear girl from the stars and I immediately think Stardust.

Each Little Universe is my first book by Chris Durston, who puts an original spin on the girl from the stars angle in this lovely debut. This book is filled with great quotes, but I'll just post a few favourites:

So many people were part of his little universe - some still in his orbit, some sailed off elsewhere, and some gone entirely, but all still carried on in some way by the sheer fact that he was still t
Zach Casserly
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Initial Impression: Ziggy is either a homeless woman dressed as David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and claiming to be an alien, or an alien. ... It’s a coin toss and I can’t wait to find out.

This review was written in exchange for an advance copy. I have since bought the Kindle and Physical Editions from Amazon because I enjoyed ELU so much.

Each Little Universe isn’t a capital-r Romance, but love is present in a New Adult flavor. It makes me kinda weepy, thinking about old friends. I'm not a genr
Darby Cupid
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure where to start... Perhaps the beginning?

The two main characters, TM and Veggie, are two of the most real and endearing characters I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Through effortlessly flowing dialogue, these two absolute gems are possibly now two of my favourite people in the world.

The plot is possibly one of the most bizarre things I've ever read. This is not a bad thing. As I've said before, I have a habit of not reading blurbs, so I had no idea what I was getting myself in
Winst0lf
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
An excellent debut novel, Each Little Universe manages to blend fun characters, some very deep thinking and a fun sci-fi plot together into a very enjoyable read indeed. The only real stumbling block for me was a rather abrupt change of pace midway through the story, but otherwise highly recommended!
Reed
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book because of how easy it was to get to know the characters, and how real and natural they felt.
The story itself is essentially reality with a twist; a fantastic element which becomes central to the lives of the characters, and it was fun and interesting to watch them as they chose their paths.
I look forward to future writing from Durston!!
Steven Small
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can I give this five stars even though I read it in an earlier incarnation? I hope you haven't changed it too much. I thought it was a great read at the time. ...more
Lori
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Received as a review copy, this is an honest review. As two friends enjoy the adventure of a variety of table top gaming sessions, they end up finding themselves on a real one after they befriend a beautiful woman who actually is a real star from the sky. When she suddenly vanishes, the two friends set out to find and her and discover a lot of themselves along the way.
Runalong
Sep 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
DNF - not my type of humour
Dave Greening
Jul 12, 2020
MR THOMAS W MARTIN
is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2020

• The Monster Inside: Surviving Sexual Abuse and Architecting a Life of Resiliency
  • What I Did
  • Crimes of Love (Based on Lies, #1)
  • Sometimes When I’m Sad
  • The Elements (Silver Coin Saga Book 1)
  • First Fig and Other Poems
  • The Tell-Tale Heart
  • A Mary Blair Treasury of Golden Books
  • Fallible: A Memoir of a Young Physician’s Struggle with Mental Illness
  • 14 Steps to Happiness
  • BEAST OF NEW CASTLE: The Heart-Pounding Battle To Stop A Savage Killer
  • Abhorsen (Abhorsen, #3)
  • If You Give a Mouse a Brownie
  • Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #14)
  • Based on Lies: A Sinister Psychological Thriller
  • Hunches in Bunches
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen,  #1)
'Chris Durston refuses to be dull ... He doesn't see the point of writing a story if he can't take full advantage of the medium and do things within that medium that can't be done in any other.'

From Devon, in the South West of England, Chris Durston has always wanted to be a writer and only just got around to doing anything about it. Each Little Universe is his debut novel, initially conceived whi

News & Interviews