Start by marking “Was weiße Menschen nicht über Rassismus hören wollen (Aber wissen sollten)” as Want to Read:
Was weiße Menschen nicht über Rassismus hören wollen (Aber wissen sollten)

Was weiße Menschen nicht über Rassismus hören wollen (Aber wissen sollten)

Dauer: 6h 37min

„Aber wo kommst du wirklich her?“, „Darf ich deine Haare anfassen?“ und „Schokobabys sind so niedlich“ – rassistische Gedanken sitzen tief. Darüber müssen wir reden. Alice Hasters beschreibt, was es bedeutet, heute als schwarze Frau in Deutschland zu leben. Warum nicht nur Skinheads mit Springerstiefeln Rassisten sein können, was man gegen eigene blinde Flec
Audiobook, Ungekürzte Lesung, 7 pages
Published February 21st 2020 by tacheles! (first published September 23rd 2019)

Be the first to ask a question about Was weiße Menschen nicht über Rassismus hören wollen

Start your review of Was weiße Menschen nicht über Rassismus hören wollen (Aber wissen sollten)
leynes
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-writers
[Aus aktuellem Anlass an alle meine German peeps: unterstützt diese Autorin und kauft und/oder leiht dieses Buch!]

This is another book focusing on Anti-Black racism in Germany. It's one of the books that in the aftermath of George Floyd's death was sold out across Germany. Initially, I was hesitant to read it since it, just like exit RACISM, addresses mainly white readers. However, I decided to give it a go in order to be able to recommend it to white Germans with a good conscience.

The title of
Steelwhisper
1.5* rounded up. One-sided. Astonishingly colourblind for such a topic. The worst of it, this book isn't helpful. I expected at least some scientific background, but this is mainly a personal opinion piece. ...more
Riikka Iivanainen
I was recommended this book by a good friend. I'm so glad I finally decided to listen to it on Spotify where it is read by the author in German. The entire book for free on Spotify! I highly recommend it for anyone who understands German. The book is easy to follow even as a non-native speaker. The book consists of personal stories, goes over history and explains concepts in an easily understandable manner. The book helped me understand what racism is and made me question my own thoughts and beh ...more
Christine
I'm by no means the first person to recommend this book but I truly feel like this is one of those books that I will revisit every few years. There were so many valuable reminders and pieces of information about the history and lived experience of racism in Germany (but also the western world in general), and Hasters balances them in a really impactful way. ...more
Anna
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blm
I am really thankful for getting to this book after Tupoka Ogette's "Exit Racism". "Was weiße Menschen nicht über Rassismus hören wollen (Aber wissen sollten)" gave me an even deeper understanding of racism in all its forms and layered on a plethora of additional facts. As I am diving deeper into ally-ship and anti-racism, I feel blessed by these accounts of fearless women putting their voice out there to change the world into a better place.

The way the chapters were structured (body, hair, lov
Laura Mata Boschini
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: courage
I lived in Germany for eleven months. I noticed many times how my friends, exchange students with whom I shared so many experiences, were discriminated because of their looks. At the time, I didn't give it much thought, but now I wish I could go back and talk about it more. While I was listening, many memories came to my mind from my time in Germany. It made me rethink my role and perspective in those situations. I can't change the past, but I know that today I would probably react differently t ...more
Rebekka
4.5/5 stars
Anna S
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a must-read
Miss Undómiel
Deeply personal, informative and at times painful to read (hear) but so, so important
Wiebke (1book1review)
This was an enjoyable and well read audiobook. The personal experience is always a good way to hear about a topic you have read about but are not able to experience yourself. Aside from that it is imformative if you have never read a book about being black in Germany.
Miller Sherling
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found Hasters's book quite worthwhile, maybe because I've read a significant amount of anti-racism and commentary on racism by writers of color, but all from a USA-based perspective. This was the first I'd read of what it's like to be a European BIPoC and experience racism in the particular ways it manifests in the European context. Hasters's section on how very gaslighting it was to go to school and be given a wrong version of history was particularly affecting, and taught me quite a bit abou ...more
Ina
Apr 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book.

Alice Hasters tells us how racism formed her life in germany. A lot of people living in germany have at least one parent, that is not born in germany including my husband, my daughter and a lot of my friends. But still I did not really know a lot about racism, because all of them are white and you can't tell that they or their parents aren't born in germany.

Of course I knew racism to be a big problem in germany before reading this book. But still I did not really know ho
Daniel
Mar 30, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating book full of personal stories and perspectives. I think this is about as it gets when it comes to helping readers see the world/ society from a different perspective.
I particularly liked that it addresses well-meaning people who may still offend people of colour or make them feel uncomfortable or left out. The chapter to a new boyfriend stands out as particularly well-written in this respect.
I thought this would be a 5-star book for a long time, until I got to the chapter
Pia Broker
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Multi-layered perspective on racism in Germany from the perspective of a daughter of a white German man and an African-American woman.
Looking into racism from various angles, gives this book also a big intersectional value. She shows the reader that the world is not just good and bad, by uncovering underlying flaws in the system, historic developments, and individual counterproductive behavior.
Alice writes smart and with a lot of empathy. She showed me many new perspectives and I highly recomme
Mike
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 *
Some good general aspects about racism added with personal expierences.

Some parts were a bit wierd. For example the studying part (why study sport if you are not interested) and the general sterotypes about different (white) people (for example: sport students no political intreste, people don't know about kongo genocid, all people with no idea after "abi" start random study (acutally a big part of the population can not study even if they want))

Some parts were more about a young female per
maya - Mond
Sadly very unoriginal.

I’ve read a few books that cover racism in Germany and this book feels like a copy of “Exit racism“, plus the authors personal experiences.

I didn’t learn anything new. It didn’t make me as uncomfortable as „Exit Racism“ did, which I was going for. I - as a white woman - am looking for books that kick me out of my happyland.

This book sadly didn’t do it for me.

Maybe my expectations were too high.

This book is an entry into racism, however I would recommend Chimamanda Ngozi
Brigitte Krause
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impossible to rate, how do you rate a book about this conversation we all need to have?

Not the first book I am trying to read about racism, it was esp. helpful due to Alice Hasters being German, so I have a better understanding of the environment, but of course in no way in other ways. Highly recommend this to everyone, it´s important to educate ourselves and do better. Like she said in the book, advances/privilege shouldn´t even exist.
Kueckibooks
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really, REALLY important book and definitely one of the best books I have read about racism and racism in Germany so far. Alice Hasters manages to cover a wide range of different topics related to racism, expertly connecting them to both theories about racism, history of racism and her own personal experiences as a Black woman living in Germany. I definitely learned a lot from this book and hope that it finds many more readers in the future.
Michelle Eichenberg
This is a stunning mixture of biography, history lesson and personal growth.
It displays what is wrong in our society on so many levels that we don't even see it anymore.
It doesn't so much guilt someone into being racist by choice but more the social structures we are stuck in. It made me think of my own behaviour, the people around me and the believes I have, a lot.
I hope it goes viral!
Rabia
This was my first book about racism. The author explains the issue in a way that makes it very easy to understand. On several pages I was shocked about how present racism still is - even though we might not think of ourselves as racists there is still so much work to do.. And after reading this one I am eager to learn more.
Andrea
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An extremely thoughtful book, well-researched. For once, not discouraging ("I can't devote my whole life to this, I'm sorry"), full of thought provoking info and a fascinating change of perspective. Almost feel like reading it over again immediately. ...more
Marius  Müller
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A German BPOC write about her experiences, mixing her personal story with analysis. Eye opening and often an initiator of painful self-reflection.
Christian
(listened to it on Spotify)
Christina Sopp
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I‘ve learned a lot. And even better the book makes you want to learn more.
L
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
an excellent overview about racism and racist dynamics - bridging the gap between global phenomena, international activism, and germany's history ...more
Flora
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
must-read!
Lara
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars. Maybe even 4.5 stars. Can't decide on it right now.
Lots of new input and food for thought for me. I will definitely recommend this to someone.
Alicia
Apr 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
it was very very eye opening
i will write a better Review soon but i don't have time
Debo
When I started this audiobook my father asked how many more books on racism I planned on reading, hadn't I heard it all before and after rolling my eyes so hard that they might've popped out of my head, I am happy to report that this too taught me a great deal!
Especially because of Hasters' Afro-German experience, a PoV from which I haven't read before, this was enlightening af. Her experiences and critiques of the German education system were great and I have already pushed this onto several te
Tin Wegel
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
February 2021: I read Alice Hasters' important contribution to the discussion of what it means to be Black in Germany. Hasters mostly relays her personal story in order to talk about Germany's anti-/racism stance. With that she adds her voice to a debate in Germany that took center stage after the murder of Georg Floyd in Minneapolis in May 2020. Personally, I believe that Germans who present as white (a group to which I belong) all too often prefer to only look at the US and decry the systemic ...more

• exit RACISM. rassismuskritisch denken lernen
  • Sprache und Sein
  • Frausein
  • Gegenwartsbewältigung
  • Starkes weiches Herz
  • Unsere Welt neu denken: Eine Einladung
  • Die kleinste gemeinsame Wirklichkeit: Wahr, falsch, plausibel - die größten Streitfragen wissenschaftlich geprüft
See top shelves…
Alice Hasters wurde 1989 in Köln geboren. Sie studierte Journalismus in München und arbeitet u. a. für die Tagesschau und den RBB. Mit Maxi Häcke spricht sie im monatlichen Podcast Feuer&Brot über Feminismus und Popkultur. Alice Hasters lebt in Berlin.