Start by marking “The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen (Austen Adventures, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen (Austen Adventures, #2)

The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen

(Austen Adventures #2)

Rose Wallace thought her time-travelling adventures were over. Jane Austen is about to prove her wrong.

After becoming trapped in present-day Bath due to a mishap with her time-travelling charm, Jane Austen is safe and sound back in the 1800s thanks to Rose’s help. Now, Rose is ready to focus on her fledgling romance with dreamy Dr Aiden Trevellyan.

But when Jane reappears

Published November 7th 2019 by Canelo Escape (first published October 24th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen

Start your review of The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen (Austen Adventures, #2)
Sophia
After adoring The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen and getting that tantalizing teaser there at the end while needing to get more time with Rose and Aidan, I was primed and ready when this sequel arrived. Another engaging installment in the Austen Adventures series.

The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen is a follow up sequel and works best when read in order.

Rose and Aidan have just come to a tentative understanding to start seeing each other when who should appear back in Rose's day, but J
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
It was wonderful to revisit this series. I love Jane Austen and read the first book so this was a no-brainer for me. I was completely absorbed in this tale from the first page. The characters are so well developed, I honestly feel like I could be best friends with all the women in this book...especially Jane and Cass Austen.

This book shows us what is really important in life such as love, family and friendships. The story flows effortlessly and moves along at a comfortable pace. I loved the wea
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Perhaps More About Rose Wallace’s Past Than Jane Austen’s

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

TYPE OF NOVEL: Austen-Inspired Original, Jane Austen as a Fictional Character, Time Travel/Time Slip

SERIES: Austen Adventures Book 2

NOTE: Potential readers should read The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen first to fully appreciate and understand all that is taking place in this second book of the series.

SETTING: Technically, Bath, England present day, but also Chawton, England 1813

SYNOPSIS: Similar to Doc Brow
Carole (in Canada)
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Austenesque, Time Travel

Another wonderful collaboration between Ms. Bright and Ms. Grafton in the adventures of a time traveling Jane Austen! I was completely charmed by this second novel and don't tell anyone, but I think they have outdone themselves with this one! I loved it! I strongly recommend that you read the first book, 'The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen', as 'The Unexpected Past' picks up immediately after it.

"I'm in. I've only just found you Rose. I've no intention of letting go of you so soon." (quot
Kim
Jun 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is another fun time traveling tale. This time it’s modern day Rose and Aiden who go back to 1813 with Jane. I love the way these authors write Jane Austen as a character.
Anna
Jan 13, 2020 added it
Shelves: austenesque
In The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen, book 2 in the Austen Adventures series, Ada Bright and Cass Grafton pick up right where they left off in the first book, The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen. Rose Wallace has just helped Jane Austen make it back to the Regency era with the help of a time-traveling charm and realized her crush, the archeologist Dr. Aiden Trevellyan, feels the same way about her when Jane returns to the present and insists that they travel with her back to Chawton i ...more
Mystica
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This combined the best of several genres - history, English literature, time travel, modern romance. The combo worked very well, each one complementing each other, not jarring and not out of place despite the huge differences in time, and naturally everything was different from food to drink to dress to attitudes.

Rose and Aiden are transported back in time along with Jane Austen who was living in modern times to her (JA) own time. Going back 300 years so they are aware all of them of the future
Kim
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another cute time travelling Jane Austen adventure. The story in this one seemed a bit forced but it was nice to have Rose and her friends back in the past for some time, vs Jane visiting current day.

One thing that bothers me about these books is the unnatural latch that Rose and Morgan have. While Rose is in the past all she can think about is getting word to Morgan, it's almost obsessive at times. Then while the girls are separated they are constantly writing pretty worthless letters misusing
Selah
Jul 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: digital-shelf, kindle
It’s not a bad book at all, but the pacing is SO SLOW. I do enjoy the characters, most especially Jane Austen herself. There was one instance of horrific grammar that I cannot forgive.
Kristin
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I would like to thank netgalley and Canelo for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

This is the second book in the Austen Adventures series. I loved the first book and this book has lived up to the first one.

Rose, Aiden and Jane are back! This time Jane is convinced that someone connected to Rose is living next door to her, and that Rose and Aiden must travel back to 1813 to solve the problem.

I enjoyed meeting Jane's family and all of the period details.
Mrs. Bridget Wiltshire
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sophia-Elizabeth
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From meeting Miss Austen again, the adventures start with a drive to Hampshire, to Chawton Cottage to be precise, and a new time adventure begins anew. Jane Austen there upon transports both Aiden and Rose to Chawton 1813, where Miss Austen finally tells why Rose is there, along with Aiden.

An unexpected secret is revealed of Rose’s past and possibly even her future. Certain events take places, which had me on the very edge of my sofa half the time, wondering what the heck Cass and Ada was up to
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another marvelous, terrific book where Rose and Aiden are surprised by the dear Jane Austen, seeking them for help.

I loved how it had so great twist and turns & all the well-known characters, as well as the newly added ones are a delight and it was the utmost fun to get to know them. <3

The book ends on a very well pleasing note but has a hint that there might be another book - I'm curious and almost sitting on the edge if we can hope for more adventures of Rose, Aiden and Jane Austen... My finge
ElinorB
May 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jane-austen
A worthy sequel of the Jane Austen time-travel series. This book is filled with friendship, love, adventure and full of details book lovers and Janeites will rejoice in.

After enjoying the first book so much there was no question whether I would read the continuitation. It ended with a cliffhanger and the story picks up right where we were left.
Just when our heroine Rose thought her life would settle down and when she discovers her infatuation with Dr Trevellyen isn’t unrequited at all… in sweep
Sarah Matchette
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It doesn’t surprise me that I have fallen in love with the Austen Adventures series- I love these characters so much! Rose in particular is someone I identify with a lot- specifically her love of books and the importance she places on her independence and the life she’s built for herself. I don’t think I’ve ever read a series that manages to bring so much together- historical fiction, fantasy, romance, comedy- in such a coherent and enchanting way.

This book in the series was a lot of fun becaus
Margaret Yelton
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the first book The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen, so I was excited to read the second book. I found this book to be a entertaining read very well written. I personally enjoyed this book even more than the first one. Everything is back to normal at the start of the book and Rose and Aiden are finally starting to explore their feelings for each other. Things soon take an unexpected turn as Jane returns and what a story follows. I would recommend this book to everyone. I rec ...more
Christina Nielsen
Mar 18, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, audiobook
3,5 stars.

A cute and lighthearted read. It took me a while to get the hang of the story, but I haven't read the first book in the series so that is my own fault.

The characters where charming and had their own cute quirks and attitudes that made them really loveable. The Austen siblings seemed well fleshed out, and they had a good bond. A lot of the time I feel like authors struggle with siblings and their bond and banter, which makes them seem not real. That was not the case with this book.

Som
Alison Condliffe
Jun 12, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal
Improvement on first book as Morgan has limited appearances and they go back to Chawton in Jane Austen’s time, so Jane is in it more. Some good historical details but the main problem is Rose. Although she is trying to be braver alit of time is taken up with her mixed feelings, indecisiveness and annoying self talk.
Pop sugar reading challenge 2021- a book you associate with a person or place.
Chloe
Jun 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I've come to terms with the fact that one of my favourite genres is time travel, and having just lost a parent, this book was particularly moving. I highly recommend this book, but you really must read the first in the series, or you'll be quite confused! The authors create a believable blend of time periods with a delightful storyline, and I can't wait to see if there is a sequel! ...more
Jackie
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true gem ! I was so excited to read this book after the first one left me wanting more!! All the good feels with perfect detail!! I’ll miss these characters!! Hope to read more by this amazing author
nicole
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
This is still cute and fun—like the first one—but i WAS SO STRESSED OUT. the time travel angst + suspense was too fraught for me.
Madison
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful second book in the series. The Regency elements were well done, the fantasy elements were well done, and as always, I'm very interested to know more about the main charactr's futures. ...more
Julia Charles
Apr 29, 2021 rated it did not like it
Sooo slow & boring. God awful book
Lotzastitches
May 10, 2021 rated it liked it
Book 2 of the fluffy fun read.
Jen
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good continuation of the first novel- another quick, fun read.
Jackie
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and amazing book! A truly delightful book I highly recommend this book to use as a pick up! Loved it!
Anthony Savage
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing fun lovely read

Seriously one of the best sets I have read in so long. I seriously hope for another one. I am in awe at how they capture the love of Austen in these books. Thank you!
Scarlett
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Canelo for an ARC of this book! Release date - November 7, 2019

I really like the writing style and characters and general storyline of both this book and The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen. It's really cute and clever, and both books were quick, easy reads. I liked the first one more because I felt like it had more of a plot though. I think this one started off with a good idea, there was just less places for it to go than the first one. The "mystery" of Jane's n
Anna Szabó
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A huge Thank to Canelo for inviting me to read and review The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen. When I saw the invitation I was squealing with excitement and I started reading immediately,

The stiry picks up where Particulas Charm of Miss Jane Austen left off. Rose is happy with Dr. Aiden Trevellyan and Jane is safely back home in the 1800s. Rose thinks her life is back to normal, no more Jane-related adventures for her. How wrong she is! But this time Rose does the travelling. Jane asks her
Vivienne
My thanks to Canelo Escape for the invitation to receive an advance copy via NetGalley of ‘The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen’ by Cass Grafton & Ada Bright in exchange for an honest review.

This is the sequel to their delightful time travel romp, ‘The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen’ published earlier this year that ended on a cliffhanger that is continued here.

I won’t discuss the plot details in order to avoid spoilers. However, I would advise that it is best to read the novels in orde

• Of a Sunday Evening
  • A Life Worth Choosing: A Jane Austen "Pride and Prejudice" Variation
  • Consequence & Consequences: "Ooops" A Regency Romance inspired by P&P
  • When the Sun Sleeps (Sweet Sentiments, #1)
  • The Unexpected Heiress: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • The Mistress of Rosings Park : A Pride and Prejudice Vagary
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • So This Is Love: An Austen-Inspired Regency
  • Mr. Darcy's Bet
  • Coached to Death (The Life Coach Mysteries #1)
  • A Pretty Folly (Inspector James Given, #2)
  • The First Lady and the Rebel
  • Stocking Stuffers (So Over the Holidays, #1)
  • The Twisted Ones
  • A Reluctant Santa
  • Fear on the Phantom Special (The Railway Detective #17)
  • The Poison Garden
  • The Paper Wasp

Austen Adventures (2 books)
  • The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen: An Uplifting, Comedic Tale of Time Travel and Friendship