Start by marking “Possession” as Want to Read:
Possession

Possession

The past haunts her. The present hunts her.

Conviction @ConvictionPod · 1m
The investigating officer: “I’ve seen a lot of homicides in the years since, but...that’s the one that keeps me up at night.”

The husband’s best man: “They had everybody fooled. Or at least, she did. But I always knew something was off.”

Hannah, the wife: “I told you. I don’t remember anything. I don’t
Expected publication: February 9th 2021 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Possession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Possession

Start your review of Possession
Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February)

Less is More

Possession is a psychological thriller about a woman who slowly loses her mind when a buried crime from her past resurfaces as the focus of a podcast.

Hannah has no recollection of the night her husband Graham was brutally murdered 10 years ago. With a podcast questioning the events surrounding Graham’s death, Hannah finds herself in the spotlight slowly losing her sanity.

The first chapter is freaking amazing! Sadly, it is downhill from here. I had to fight myself to keep r
MarilynW
Dec 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Possession by Katie Lowe

Possession could have a lot going for it but so much is thrown into the mix that it feels like a muddled mess. Still, a muddled mess can work in the book's favor since the main character, Hannah, is a muddled mess. She's a massively unreliable narrator, it seems she doesn't even know how to put one foot in front of the other, at times. Even ten years after her husband is murdered she has his emotionally abusive words running through her head, night and day. She thinks tha
Will Byrnes
I know this is denial.
I know.
But I can’t face it.
I thought I wanted the truth, once. Now, I realize, I was safer in my lie.
True crime seems to be the flavor of the month of late, in books, on TV, in movies, in blogs. The podcast Serial made a huge splash. I’ll Be Gone in the Dark was a huge best-seller in 2018, and an amazing documentary in 2020. Multiple TV shows have been based on true-crime bloggers, and recently, We Keep the Dead Close (review coming) tracked a fifty-year-old unsolved
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Mind games,confusing physiological twists with inaccurate and unreliable heroine and action packed, entertaining, riveting podcast episodes. Yes, count me in! This is exactly my cup of Dirty Martini with extra green olives!

Let’s meet with Hannah Catton, who is a widow, lost her husband at a robbery which went out of control. For starting fresh and healing from her traumatic experience, she moved to small country town.

Now 10 years passed and it seems like she already has her own HEA. She is work
Jayme
3.5 rounded down

London, 2008

Tap Tap Tap
The sound of her husband Graham’s blood , dripping on the floor.
But, Hannah cannot remember what happened the night he was killed.
Or, if she was the one wielding the knife.

Derbyshire, 2018

“CONVICTION” a popular podcast has decided to make Graham’s Murder- their next case.
Host Anna Byers, thinks the young man in jail has been wrongly convicted.
She doesn’t believe in Hannah’s dissociative amnesia.
She also doesn’t believe that Hannah is innocent of the cr
Christina
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2020
The very best kind of psychological thriller that grabs you by the throat from page one and never lets go. Did that sound a little macabre? Well, so is this book, and I LOVED it.

The book is about Hannah, whose husband was murdered a decade before. Hannah was there, knocked unconscious, and can’t remember anything about it. Or...can she? Although an errant burglar was arrested for the crime....now, years later, a Serial-like podcast is on the scene, and its host has determined that Hannah is the
Michael David
Sep 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read
Ten years ago, Hannah’s husband, Graham, was lying on the floor with a knife in his neck. Did she murder him? She had always maintained her innocence, and someone else was arrested and convicted for the murder...filed away as a botched burglary.

Now, Hannah and her daughter live with her fiancé. When a popular podcast called “CONVICTION” decides to focus on the decade-old murder of Graham, it becomes apparent that the folks behind the podcast think Hannah is guilty, and they will do what they ca
Michelle
Dec 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Ten years ago Hannah's husband was brutally murdered in their bed. Hannah was knocked unconscious while their 5 year old daughter lay sleeping in her bedroom. Hannah can not recall the details of what happened. Police investigators are sure Hannah has had something to do with it but then new evidence is found and a young man is accused and charged with Grahams murder.

Hannah has now moved on and is making a living as a psychologist. She is in a long term relationship with nice guy, Dan, and her
Miranda Reads
description

Just published my October Book Vlog and whew! It was a lot of reading but so worth it!
The Written Review
description
Hannah's husband was murdered…while she was in the house with him.

All of the fingers pointed towards her but she claimed memory loss.

Now (ten years later), she has a wonderful boyfriend, a strong/stable job as a psychiatrist and the real killer is behind bars (or so she thought).

Evie (Hannah's daughter) and herself have settled into their new lives...that is until the latest season
Catherine Woodward
Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*Many thanks to NetGalley, St. Martin's Press, and Katie Lowe for an ARC of this book!*

NEXT UP ON Conviction...The brutal murder of Graham in his London home put home invader Michael in jail. But Graham's wife Hannah was at the scene, and claims not to remember a thing. Has the wrong suspect taken the fall for this grisly crime?

This is the dilemma Hannah faces, as Anna Byers' wildly popular crime podcast Conviction has chosen her case to explore and exploit, and the digging begins. Hannah has m
Erin Clemence
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, first-reads
Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.

Expected publication date: January 26, 2021.

Hannah Catton’s husband is murdered in their bed, while she is left with minor injuries and no recollection of that night. Although a local man sits in jail for the murder, many people believe Hannah to be responsible, her memory loss nothing more than an easy excuse. Now, ten years later, Hannah is happily remarried
megs_bookrack
Give me ALL the Thrillers with True Crime podcasts in them!!!

Thank you for the ARC, St. Martin's Press.

I certainly appreciate it and can't wait to start!
Theresa Alan
Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I ended up really enjoying this mystery/thriller. Hannah begins the novel telling us that she killed her husband, but we’re increasingly sure that she’s not mentally all there, so we don’t know what to believe.

This had to be a challenging book to plot, because it bounces around in time: 2008, when the murder occurred. Years before, how their marriage was leading up to the murder. 2018, the present day, where the podcast Conviction comes out, questioning if the young man put in prison for the cri
Vonda
Jan 08, 2021 rated it liked it
This book stayed highly confusing. The storyline was interesting but the timeline kept bouncing around to explain what was happening in the past and present and there were too many plotlines to keep track of.
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
Jan 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
Hannah's husband was brutally murdered ten years ago while she and her daughter were home with him. Apparently traumatized and suffering from sort of PTSD, Hannah has blocked most of the memories from that evening and has never been able to recover them. When the police presented a likely scenario implicating Mike, Hannah jumped on it and Mike was found guilty of murder.

Now, a decade later, Anna Byers has decided to take on Mike's case to prove his innocence as part of her famous podcast 'Convi
Stephanie Cooper
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness how I love the way this book ends! I’m starting there because it’s the kind of ending that makes you look back and really think. I’m not giving anything away by saying that because I had a zillion theories and thought I had it figured out from the beginning but I was deliciously wrong and I couldn’t love it more! I love the first person perspective. I love being in Hannah’s head. The truth unravels like a sweater string being pulled and it’s fascinating! I can’t wait to read more ...more
Samantha
Ten years ago, Hannah’s husband, Graham, was murdered, but she can’t remember what happened. Someone else was convicted for the murder, and it’s considered a burglary gone wrong.

Present day, Hannah and her daughter have moved on and have a new life. When a true crime podcast called Conviction, decides they think the person convicted for Graham’s murder is innocent, they will stop at nothing to prove Hannah is the one guilty of murdering her husband.

True crime podcast mysteries seem to be all t
Kelly
Jan 03, 2021 rated it liked it

Whew! This was not an enjoyable book... and before you get mad, let me explain ;). I'm not saying it wasn't enjoyable because it was a bad book and that I hated it. No, not at all. In fact, I liked the story and I'm glad I read this book. I felt immersed and engaged to what was going on and the podcast kept me on edge. I wanted to find out how the book was going to end even if I was dreading it in a way because I felt like Hannah, our main (and unreliable) character was not going to end
Amanda McHugh
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
With a captivating cover and enticing blurb, I was thrilled to be approved for this request. I haven't had a true psychological thriller in a while, and I quickly dove in.

Ten years after the murder of her husband Graham, Hannah is trying to move on with her life. She has a beautiful daughter, Evie. A good job. A best friend who supports her. A loving boyfriend-maybe-fiance. But a famous podcast is airing an episode based on Graham's murder, focusing on the premise that a man was wrongly convict
OutlawPoet
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it

This is my first book by the author, but I can guarantee that it won’t be my last.

This is quite the thriller. As you learn more about our main character and her deceased husband, you’ll find out about all sorts of sordid secrets.

Now, I’ll admit that I didn’t love the truth about everything, but it definitely took me by surprise! I’m still not sure I completely buy into it, but it sure kept me reading!

It’s an entertaining book and I’ll be looking for the author’s books in the future!

*ARC via Net
Kristi
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Tap. Tap. Tap. Soft little splashes on the bedroom floor.”

Where to start! Possession by Katie Lowe is a complex story, convoluted and intricate right to the very last page! It has every single element I look for in a page turning thriller. Unreliable narrator with a dodgy history – Check! Abandoned Gothic Insane Asylum – Check! Sketchy secondary characters that are trustworthy yet still make me doubt – Check! Murder & Mayhem – Check! Check!

When a true crime podcast decides to reopen the mu

Possession is a psychological thriller that takes place in the UK. It is my first book by this author.

This book follows Hannah (1st person POV). We see various timelines (the main one is 2018, but we also go back to 2008, and some other years like 1998, 2002, 2003...)

Hannah's husband was murdered ten years before. And now a true crime podcast (Conviction) is taking a look at the case. They believe that the wrong man was convicted.

This book started off really strong for me. I liked the premise an
Kim
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I read The Furies by Katie Lowe and really enjoyed its Craft vibes, so when I saw she had a new book coming out, I immediately knew I was going to read it. And then I read the synopsis and became even more excited… if that was possible.

I was blown away by how Lowe kept me guessing until the end. Even when I (thought I) knew what was going on, the story would shift and then shift again. I was constantly questioning if Hannah was crazy, pretending, being gaslighted, possessed, or something else. A
Wendy
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dark. Thrilling. Chilling. This psychological thriller kept me on the edge of my seat basically the whole time, and I'm so grateful for the chance to get my mind off some difficult things happening in my life. This novel sure as heck did that.

"Possession" is about Hannah, the widow of Graham who died over a decade earlier. She continues to struggle with her loss daily and at times even hears his voice. But when a famous true crime podcast chooses Graham's death as its topic, it makes things a lo
Yenny
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
What a crazy story! There is a lot to unpack with this one! If you're familiar with Truth Be Told by Kathleen Barber, Possession is like that book but much crazier.

The book is about a woman named Hannah, who's husband was brutally murdered ten years prior. She has a vague recollection of that night and a stranger was found to be guilty and is put away for life. After the case is over, and wanting to start anew, she and her 6 year old daughter leave London and move to her rural hometown. She is h
Jen Ryland
Possession was like riding in a car moving really really really slowly, then suddenly the driver floors it and the car goes flying down the highway, swerving crazily. Meanwhile, you're hanging on for dear life, trying to figure out what's happening.

Hannah's husband was murdered years ago, and his killer was convicted and put in prison. But when a podcast decides to revisit the case, Hannah has to face the fact that she can't remember at all what happened on the night of her husband's murder, and
Amber
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
So, being a BIG FAN of a true crime podcast this book seemed really interesting to me.
This book begins with Hannah, whose husband was murdered. She was questioned but eventually the local authorities found the person who they believed murdered her husband. The police said that it was a burglary gone wrong.
Now, Decades later a podcast is going through the case again. With this podcast the creater is involved with thier own investigation and now they have decided that Hannah is the real killer a
Kathy
Nov 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book. I enjoyed the complexity of the plot and the twists. Started to drag for me midway, but the last part flew by. Then it was over, and I feel like I missed something. After reading other reviews, I see it was the book and not myself with a big gaping hole in the story.
Kat
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Holy crap. This was a twisted, convoluted, no holds barred story, and I loved every minute of it. I had no idea who did what and so was completely shocked by the ending. I really liked Hannah and Evie, and their relationship. All in all 4 stars!
Giulia
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Crazy Hannah-just like her Grandmother --right? You will have to read the book, "Possession" to find out. I am happy I threw myself into this book blind.. Suffice to say it is about murder and abuse and betrayal and some hints of the supernatural I highly recommend to someone who wants to read a meaty nail biter-there are a lot of nuances you have to read carefully for that if you are skimming they will whiz right by you.

Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for a chance to read and review.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Challenge Corner: Possession by Katie Lowe -> Starting December 23rd, 2020 11 11 Jan 02, 2021 04:40PM

• Too Good to Be True
  • The Drowning Kind
  • A Dark and Secret Place
  • If I Disappear
  • Memory Lane
Katie is a writer living in Worcester, UK. Her first novel, THE FURIES - a story of witchcraft and murder at a British private school in the 1990s - was published in 2019 in the UK, US, and 8 other territories, receiving positive reviews in The Times, The Guardian, Publishers Weekly, and Kirkus, who described the novel as an "elegant, pitch-perfect coming-of-age story."

Her second novel, POSSESSION