Start by marking “A Stranger in Town (Rockton #6)” as Want to Read:
A Stranger in Town (Rockton #6)

A Stranger in Town

(Rockton #6)

Detective Casey Duncan has noticed fewer and fewer residents coming in to the hidden town of Rockton, and no extensions being granted. Her boyfriend, Sheriff Eric Dalton, presumes it’s the natural flux of things, but Casey’s not so sure. Something bigger is happening in the small town they call home.

When an injured hiker stumbles from the woods, the sole survivor of a host
Published February 9th 2021 by Minotaur Books (first published February 2nd 2021)

To ask other readers questions about A Stranger in Town, please sign up.
Heather I've read all of them, except for the most recent. It's a really enjoyable series. The characters are interesting, and I love the town of Rockton itse…moreI've read all of them, except for the most recent. It's a really enjoyable series. The characters are interesting, and I love the town of Rockton itself.(less)
Shannon Her last name has been Butler since she has been in Rockton.

Start your review of A Stranger in Town (Rockton #6)
Lisa
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
My thanks to St. Martin's/Minataur Books, Kelley Armstrong and Netgalley.
Stuffs going down in Rockton, and I'm loving it!
A few of the older mysteries are solved and a few others pop up! People die, and of course there is a lot of trekking through the woods.
I loved every moment. Can't wait to see what happens now.
This is a series that should be read from the beginning. Even though I hated the first few books I read! Something kept me coming back. I think every book is better than the last!
Matte
Kaceey
2.75*
This entire series has been a hit and miss experience for me. I actually gave up on it a few books back.... but just like potato chips, I craved more!

Unfortunately, this latest release found its way directly into the ‘miss’ pile for me. After loving her previous release Alone in the Wild, I was anxious to dive in.
But…oh my! I just couldn’t keep up with all the characters.

When Casey and Eric come across an injured woman in the forest, they rush in to help. Terrified and disoriented the wom
Susanne  Strong
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, buddy-read
A new Rockton novel by Kelley Armstrong that unfortunately left me wanting.

Gosh.. What can I say here: I started out liking “A Stranger in Town” and then the storyline just completely lost me.

This novel included too many characters and too many groups of people - the hostiles, the settlers, the hikers, the danish, Emilie, Jay - a new resident, Sophie - the injured hiker, all of whom simply confused me and made it such that I was unsure as to who actually was “A Stranger in Town.” Simply put, I j
Maureen Carden
I am disappointed there are still no killer rabbits in A Stranger in Town…or any rabbits. Nor is there bear bowling-although there are bears, oh my. In A Stranger in Town human predators take center stage and hold it they do in another Rockton tour de force.
Rockton is the little Yukon town that does not exist on any map, nor do very many people know about it. Due to some sophisticated technology, it is almost impossible to find, unless you just stumble across it. It was started more that sixty
Marialyce (absltmom, yaya)
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have loved all the books in this series and sometimes wish I could become one of the residents of Rockton, even though I hate the cold.

On this, the sixth outing of the series, we are given a fine look at the town, its establishment, and the circumstances that have given rise to the first and second settlements, and the dreaded hostiles who are also inhabitants of this remote area.

When a stranger who is seriously hurt is found, it is the job of Casey and and Erik plus some other community memb
Diane S ☔
Jan 22, 2021 rated it liked it
From the beginning the premise of this series was intriguing. Set in the Yukon, an off the grid town where people who had trouble in their real lives, could stay for a period of time, with extensions granted if necessary. A chance to remake themselves with only a few who need to know, why you are there, who you were. Also of course, continuing to read the series makes one comfortable with the characters. An invested interest.

This one though, the plot just seemed a stretch, a jumbled conundrum th
Michelle
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
A Stranger in Town is Kelley Armstrong's sixth book in the Rockton series. As always Armstrong constructs a challenging mystery as newcomers arrive in the secluded town and bodies begin piling up.

This is an overall fantastic series with a strong female lead and action-packed plotlines. I love reading about the Yukon. The wildness of the region--its unpredictable weather, deadly animals, and inhospitable terrain is the most compelling character of all. While reading Armstrong's captivating descr
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I loved this book! I am a huge fan of this series so I went into this book with rather high expectations and I am happy to report that they were all met. I was so excited to check in with Casey, Eric, and the rest of the Rockton residents and to find out what their next adventure would be. This was a book that I didn't want to put down once I started reading. I had a fantastic time with this book!

Casey and Eric encounter a wounded wo
Luvtoread
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Mesmerizing And Captivating!

The story takes place out in the desolate wilderness of the Yukon in the very small town called Rockton where all the residents are in hiding or exile from their old lives in society. There isn't any access to wifi or other outside communications because this town is completely isolated and hidden from the public for specific reasons and must remain that way to keep all of the residents safe. There are only about 200 citizens who live in Rockton and each individual mu
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This series with it's quirky little town and even stranger residents almost immediately became a favorite and that love, over time, over each new book, has only grown.

I adore these characters and as strange as they all are, I absolutely care about them and can't wait each time a new book gets into my hands. I want to devour it. I want to savor it, but mostly, I want all my beloved characters to stay strange, to stay true to themselves and to stay a part of Rockton and all it implies and holds.

I
4.5/ 5 stars

A Stranger in Town is the sixth book in the Rockton/Casey Duncan series.

The mystery in A Stranger in Town is self-contained to this book. However I would highly recommend reading these books in order. It is possible to read this book without having read the others. But IMO the enjoyment will not be the same. There is so much history and character development. So I feel like a reader would not really understand the relationships if this series is not read in order.

I absolutely love Ke
♥Rachel♥
Rockton is a secret, off-the-grid town in the Yukon. A place formed for those on the run from danger as a refuge. An abusive husband, a stalker, unfair conviction? Rockton is your place to hide until the dust settles. Supposedly, inhabitants are vetted so that no violent criminals are allowed in, but in the past books we’ve learned that this isn’t true.

The series is best read in order, and as this is the sixth installment reading on in my review would give spoilers if you haven’t the previous b
h o l l i s
Realistically I should not have liked this so much, particularly considering the last two books in this series were somewhat of a disappointment (but only in the grand scheme of the series, I mean, and when compared to books one to three). But the plot got so.. I won't say wildly but quite a bit out of control, much suspension of disbelief required, and yet I had a great time anyway.

Full review to come.
Robin Loves Reading
The hidden town of Rockton in Alaska is unusual in many aspects. It is a refuge of sorts, whether wrongly accused, escaping a dangerous family member, or the like. Rockton is a place where you have to have permission to reside, and there is a time limit as to how long you can remain there. The town's members are people who truly benefit from escape in one way or another. One of the long-time residents, Detective Casey Duncan, has a job and that job of policing has given her more than ample oppor ...more
Carolyn
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: armstrong-kelley
WOW! Big things happening in Rockton. Huge mysteries that are prevalent background threads in all the books are at the forefront here. Yes, it is a long time between books with a lot of characters that have been added along the way, but Kelley Armstrong does a great job of reminding us of who each character is and their significance as they reappear in this book. A Stranger in Town is a stellar addition to an outstanding series. It is another roller coaster ride with lots of twists and turns wit ...more
☕️Kimberly
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since Casey arrived in Rockton, an off the grid town, nestled in the remote Yukon territory, she has questioned how the other settlers and Hostiles came to be. In this sixth installment of the series, we finally get answers. Answers that may change everything for the people of Rockton.

While each of the books could work as a standalone, I feel that character & relationship development along with the series arc demand that the series be read in the order of its release.

Eric and Casey make a trip o
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
I’ve started several books by my favorite authors this past year and only managed to finish one over several weeks. It’s been all me. Covid has made reading not my thing which is sad.

This is the first book I finished start to finish in a few days like normal. I hope my love for reading is back.

This is one of my favorite series by a favorite author and I’m happy to report lived up to her standards.

I loved it, start to finish. I love the main characters. I look forward to the next.
Sophia
Returning to the world of Rockton is the most electric, sensational feeling and each book leaves me insatiated for what comes next.

A Stranger in Town is the sixth of the closely tied series of thrilling romantic suspenses and is not a good series to get out of order.

Casey and Eric along with the residents of the hidden remote Canadian wilderness town of Rockton are not in the midst of crisis at the moment so she and Eric join some of the young people from another settlement and one of their own
Shelley
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
*Source* NetGalley
*Genre* Mystery / Thriller
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Thoughts*

A Stranger in Town is the Sixth installment in author Kelly Armstrong's Rockton series. In this story, Detective Casey Duncan and Sheriff Eric Dalton will have to solve multiple mysteries while also trying to figure out how to save Rockton's future. As the story opens, Casey and Eric are out in the forest on a training exercise with their dog Scout. After catching up with some teens from the First Settlement and asking questions
Katie
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Ah yes, time for my annual "still so grateful for this series, but don't have a ton to say" review.

Owned book 2/2 for the month
Overall owned book 2/5 for the month
Kate
A letter to the author.
Dear Ms. Armstrong,

I have loved this series of Rockton ever since I read the City of The Lost. A town off grid for those in need, sign me up. There are great characters and unique situations. You have truly created indepth characters and the backtories that they have.

However what I am not happy with is that it took so long for the situation with the hostiles to be cleared up, a total of what three books and finally you have given it to us. However what now? How can one b
Denice Langley
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I am a Kelley Armstrong fan. I have read all of her books and loved them all. But, there is a reason why I and at least a million other readers consider her a world class author. Her books may be fictional, her characters not someone you'd meet on the street, but you easily get to know them as she builds them from page 1 of the 1st book. Yes, this is the 6th Rockton book. It can easily be read as a stand alone, but the first 5 are just as good as this one and you really do not want t ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2021/01/31/...

It’s hard to believe that what initially began as a serial novel in six parts ultimately expanded to become one of my favorite crime mystery thriller series in recent years. Given how it basically takes place in the literal middle of nowhere, I’m frankly amazed at the way Rockton just keeps spawning stories, each one more addictive than the last.

A Stranger in Town is the sixth volume, opening once more on the remote commun
The Captain
Feb 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller-mystery
Ahoy there me mateys!  I received an eArc of this thriller through NetGalley in exchange for me honest musings.  This be the sixth book of a series.  While I try to post no spoilers, if ye keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . .

I love Kelley Armstrong!  I discovered her through her young adult book, sea of shadows, and she became me most read author of 2016. I have really been enjoying this series and I didn't even read the blurb before I requested
Juli
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Rockton series is one of my favorites! I eagerly await each new book!

Rockton is a town hidden away in the wilds of Canada. Those who can afford to pay can go there to hide out. Victims of abuse, criminals, those who want to escape their past....the residents are a mixed lot. Residents can stay for up to five years as long as they work and follow the rules. There are dangers -- wild animals, hostiles who live in the forest, illness...and sometimes even each other. Detective Casey Duncan and
julia ☆ [owls reads]
#3 This Fallen Prey: ★★★★✮ | 4.5 stars
#4 Watcher in the Woods: ★★★★★ | 5 stars
#5 Alone in the Wild: ★★★★☆ | 4 stars

5 stars!

"But now comes the big question..."

me reading book 5: does Armstrong even know where she's going with this?
Kelley Armstrong writing book 6: I know exactly where I'm going with this, thank you.

A Stranger in Town was fantastic! I'd missed Rockton quite a bit and I was very happy that
Kari Marie
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
A Stranger in Town by Kelley Armstrong is the 6th book in the Rockton series. A small hidden town in Alaska has some unexpected visitors. One a severely injured hiker and an enigmatic backer of the town. Are these people coming into the town the signs that town is being shut down? Can Casey and Dalton solve the newest crime and save their city?

I am in love with this series. It has an interesting premise, flawed but intriguing characters, consistency, steady flow in the books and overall, the ser
Mackey
I absolutely love the Rockton series by Kelley Armstrong. Around book #4 I wondered if the premise would grow old or boring but after reading A Stranger in Town, I assuredly say NO, absolutely not! If anything, this was my favorite book in the series to date. All of the mysteries and questions that have loomed in the shadows regarding the "settlements" and the "wild people" are now answered. While the future of Rockton itself still remains unclear, we can rest assured the that core group will st ...more
Chrissy
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Why, yes! I did actually take the day off work today, so that I could start this at midnight, finish it by morning, and then get a few hours of sleep instead of getting ready for a bleary-eyed day of work. I’m still tired after only three hours of sleep and will probably spend the day napping a lot. But the book was totally worth it!

This is one of my favorite series and this latest installment is no exception. Casey and Eric come across an injured Danish woman in the forest, who has been attacke
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

4.5 hearts

I continue to love the  Rockton series.  I would not try to read this as a standalone. The characters grow and change throughout the series. But mostly, each book is so good I would hate to miss any!  I highly recommend them.

Rockton  is more set up and has more things than the other people in the area.  A St

• Wild Sign (Alpha & Omega, #6)
  • The Russian Cage (Gunnie Rose #3)
  • The Lost Girls of Devon
  • Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking
  • Girl from Nowhere
  • Natalie Tan's Book of Luck and Fortune
  • Magic Misled (Lizzie Grace, #7)
  • Strange Planet (Strange Planet #1)
  • Scrublands (Martin Scarsden, #1)
  • The Price Of Scandal (Bluewater Billionaires)
  • Size 12 Is Not Fat (Heather Wells, #1)
  • Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
  • Where Winter Finds You (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #17.5)
  • Riley Thorn and the Dead Guy Next Door
  • Germania
  • Six Weeks to Live
  • Blacktop Wasteland
  • The Jackal (Black Dagger Brotherhood: Prison Camp, #1)

Rockton (6 books)
  • City of the Lost (Rockton, #1)
  • A Darkness Absolute (Rockton, #2)
  • This Fallen Prey (Rockton, #3)
  • Watcher in the Woods (Rockton, #4)
  • Alone in the Wild (Rockton, #5)