Start by marking “Faithless in Death (In Death, #52)” as Want to Read:
Faithless in Death (In Death, #52)

Faithless in Death

(In Death #52)

4.53  ·  Rating details ·  10,732 ratings  ·  1,255 reviews
In the new Eve Dallas police thriller from #1 New York Times-bestselling author J. D. Robb, what looked like a lover's quarrel turned fatal has larger--and more terrifying--motives behind it...

The scene in the West Village studio appears to be classic crime-of-passion: two wine glasses by the bed, music playing, and a young sculptor named Ariel Byrd with the back of her he
Published February 9th 2021 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Faithless in Death, please sign up.
terras-bib Added details, i can’t find a way to edit the question:
- One has Macmillan Audio as publisher, the other is Little, Brown Book Group.
- The shorter ve…more
Added details, i can’t find a way to edit the question:
- One has Macmillan Audio as publisher, the other is Little, Brown Book Group.
- The shorter version has also a higher file size (414.5MB vs 630MB), another strange detail(less)

·  10,732 ratings  ·  1,255 reviews

Start your review of Faithless in Death (In Death, #52)
Carolyn
Reading a novel by J.D. Robb is like visiting with your closest friends. You can wear your comfiest clothes, settle down with your chosen drink and know you’re in for a really enjoyable time. Not only do you get to catch up with the lives of your favourite characters, but also become absorbed in a great mystery, and at the end, come away with a warm sense of satisfaction. This 52nd book in Robb’s futuristic ‘In Death’ series is just such a book.

When Eve is called in to a homicide in the West Vil
Jilly
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
A book with a creepy cult leader who is filled with more misogyny, racism, and fanaticism than our last president? Impossible, you say! But, no, this guy is actually worse. And, like all good cult leaders, he rules with an iron fist on his giant gold throne before swimming through his pool of money like Scrooge McDuck.

What are you gonna do? God said so. He's arranging hook-ups now.

The author does a good job of writing stories that coincide with the issues of the day. She did bombings, school sho
Phrynne
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2021
Another few hours spent in my happy place with Eve and Roarke and the rest of the crew. I firmly believe that pure escapism is good for the soul:) For mine anyway.

After the drama of Shadows in Death this book is very much more a solid police procedural. Faithless in Death opens with Eve doing her paperwork for the Irish episode of the previous book, but she is quickly called to a murder scene. This in turn opens up a whole mountain of crime involving a very unpleasant cult.

Of course Robb being
Brenda
Faithless in Death is #52 in the ever brilliant In Death series by prolific author JD Robb, and this one is one of her best yet! Murder, jealous lovers, revenge, greed – and that’s just the beginning. Eve Dallas along with her partner Delia Peabody have no idea what they’ve struck this time round but the depravity that is flowing behind the scenes has Eve’s adrenalin pumping and nothing or no one will stop her bringing them to justice.

Roarke is once again at his absolute best – he was late on t
Jonetta
Homicide detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her partner Detective Delia Peabody are called to the murder scene of sculptor Ariel Byrd where there is a shortage of clues as to who might have killed her. But when they follow up with the woman who called 9-1-1, Gwen Huffman, the investigation leads to the unraveling of a host of secrets and lies with a direct link to a troubling cult-like group called Natural Order.

Everything about this story reminded me of the earlier books in the series where t
Jean
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book number five of the Death series. I’m always amazed at Robb’s ability to come up with different ideas for her stories. This book is not outstanding but average. In this book a murder of a young women artist has Dallas and crew investigating a cult; and for the first time calls in the FBI.

The book is well written and fast moving. I am always fascinated by Robb’s unusual group of characters. Looking forward to book number 53.

I read this as an audiobook downloaded from Audible. The boo
Ira
Well, still don’t know what to write about this one.

But you see, all In Death series are four and five stars read for me, then after a while, boom! Ten stars if I can give that many. This one? One of those ten stars reading, if you like this type of story, of course.

This story is about a systematic bigotry cult in the US.
It feels real because we’ve got a full four years lives freak bigotry cult show from the White House, with all those freaking weird ‘priests’ acting like morons too! 😳😂🤣

Seriousl
Corina
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!! The case was fascinating, it's a memorable one. ...more
Mei
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
WOW!!! I'm exhausted!!!

Reading this book was like running a marathon!
It's really a whirlwind of action!

Eve & Co., and by Co. I don't mean only Roarke, Peabody, McNab but ALL cops from the Central and FBI, Interpol....work on a case! WOW!

And the case starts like a simple murder of a single woman (Ariel), but soon escalates to multiple murders, kidnappings, rapes, slavery, torture.... All done in the name of a cult/religion "Natural Order". But there's nothing "natural" about it!

Even & Co. must
Mara
Feb 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-owned
Yessss, really enjoyed the mystery in this one! We've got a creepy AF white nationalist cult in the mix, and Dallas uncovering a bigger conspiracy kicked off by the murder she's investigating. I wish we'd had a couple more grounding character moments, but overall, this is one of those "landmark" cases she gets every ~15 books, and I found that very satisfying.

CW: cults, racism, homophobia, sexual assault, domestic violence
Monica
I’ll keep this relatively short, as I have an ambitious reading challenge and ain’t really up to my usual rambling reviews.

Faithless in Death marks somewhat of a return to the heart-pounding police procedurals the Dallas books used to be.

On the whole, I liked this one much more than I’ve liked the last five or so installments but, as you’ll se from the numerous status updates below, the usual annoyances abound.

Roarke is still more of a tool than a character; his main function is as a check o
Barbara Rogers
Series: In Death #52
Publication Date: 2/9/21
Number of Pages: 416

This book is yet another edge-of-your-seat, suspenseful, engrossing, can’t-put-it-down offering by the inimitable J.D. Robb. I can never get enough of this series and if she produced one a week, I’d read it. The first book of the series was set in 2058 and after 52 books, we are only up to the spring of 2061. I’m definitely NOT complaining about the amount of time passing – New York Homicide cops get lots of cases. What amazes me is
Anne OK
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-reads
Finally! Robb is back up to par and Number 52 return readers to an intriguing case with Eve and Roarke, along with many of our favorite characters making appearances which makes it a winner. I find it takes the whole village to pull a five-star read. The mixture of the personalities and diversity of characters always draws me in quickly and I stay enthralled from start to finish.

This series has been a favorite and I'm always eager for a new installment -- even when some are much better than othe
 Readaholic Jenn
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Wow! Wowsa! An amazing book full of plot twists and surprises. I love seeing Eve's squad at its finest. Nora definitely hasn't lost her touch and I hope she continues this series for many years to come. ...more
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
Spoilers ahead, 3.5*

What seems to be a simple case of one lover killing another takes a chilling turn as Eve and Peabody unearth ties to a cult. Further digging shows signs of human trafficking and abuse, now Eve and her team work with other agencies to bring down a cult leader with a god complex.

*******
While I continue to enjoy this series I'd really like to see some emotions from Eve now, 52 books in and it's still rare for her shell to crack.
This is the one of the longest running series I sti
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
Copy received for an honest review

52 books into this series, and I am still loving it as much as book #1.

Then again, is there ever enough of Dallas and Roarke? I say no - especially to Roarke

Add in murder, mystery, cults and this was a true winner for me (I have been watching many documentaries on cults lately, so this fit right in with my interests)

We didn't get so much of my Roarkey this time, however we do get plenty of Eve, Peabody and the whole crew of NYPSD, and Eve's circle of friends

You
Belles
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021
Yet another home run from Robb. I don't know how she keeps pumping out 5 star book after 5 star book, but God bless her! ...more
Sofie Hern
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Eve Dallas is back in this intense thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat! Book #52 did not disappoint. JD Robb gets the gang together once again to find a killer, but what they uncover is beyond anything anyone could have imagined.

What starts out as a routine investigation for Lieutenant Eve Dallas and Detective Peabody soon turns into something far more complicated. Having the gang back for another installment is like visiting with family. After reading every book in the series I
Annie
Read this review on Fresh Fiction

J.D. Robb’s In Death series is one of those series that I love to read no matter what the season is. I’m always in the mood to read about Eve and Roarke and in this latest installment to the series, we see how a lover’s quarrel can result in a disastrous event.

The main couple of the book, Eve and Roarke, have always been my favorites. But in this particular one, there seems to be less of a focus on Roarke and his relationship with Eve. Instead, Robb spend
Celeste
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, romance, mystery
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

I was beginning to think that Nora was fizzling out with this series. Which made me very sad. While I still loved getting to catch up with the characters, the last couple of In Death novels have been merely adequate in terms of story. So, while I was definitely going to read Faithless in Death, I can’t say my expectations were as high as they usually are when I’m given the chance to revisit Eve and Roarke and the gang. Thankfully, Nora stepped up her game with this book,
MicheleReader
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’ve never read any of J.D. Robb’s In Death series, it is hard to recommend jumping in at Book #52 nor is it realistic to expect someone to go back and read Book #1. But it’s hard not to encourage readers who enjoy fast-paced, exciting police procedurals to pass it by. So I’ll review the latest in the series, Faithless in Death, with the hope that you’ll take a look at the series and perhaps start it wherever you choose. There is wealth of information online which can give you the backstori ...more
Anna
Another great mystery in the In Death series. Dallas busts a „The Handmaid's Tale” sort of cult that the FBI hasn't been able to for years. I loved that all the side characters in the series make an appearance. With a special appearance by Bella, Mavis's baby daughter.

Bella grabbed Eve’s hand, then Roarke’s.
“Das! Ork!” And raced into one of the rooms. “Mine!”
She chattered, danced. She seemed particularly pleased with a window seat, then the big closet, and finally tugged Roarke’s hand until he c
Tony Hisgett
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, review
I really enjoyed this story and it was good to have all the wider group of characters involved.
The story starts as a single murder, but quickly turns into a much bigger case involving a massive plan to bring it to a conclusion. Towards the end I began to think some of the detailed planning was becoming a bit too much and perhaps it would have better to just allow some of this to just go by the board and move onto the actual raid. In fact the raids where a bit of an anti climax and at the end of
Diane
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Excellent addition to the In Death Series and a must read (in order naturally). A murder traced to a huge cult that deals in garnering wealth and human trafficking - a most despicable practice! JD Robb strikes again, love this series - highly recommend to others.

5 stars and 2 thumbs up!
Kristine
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I honestly do not know how else to say this. How in the world can a series be on its 52nd book and still give you a thrill with the story that grips you and makes for a helluva ride? Seriously, that is a valid question....

I have read EVERY SINGLE book in the In Death series (remember that's 52 freaking books people!) and I am just absolutely mind blown at how Nora Roberts/JD Robb can continue to keep putting these books out at a very quick pace. Wait a minute, let me clarify. Anyone can put out
Lynsey A
5 stars for the storyline. This is one of her best murder stories yet. This book kept me up until almost 1 in the morning today (and I had to work too - thank goodness for work at home so I could sleep in a bit) because I just couldn't put it down.

As always, there is a very satisfying ending to the well, bad guys, we'll say. This story was more than a murder. So much happened and it was all just so intense at times.

I would say 4 stars for Roarke and Eve. I just wanted more of them in this story
Carol
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I tried to make the book last, really I did, but once I was into the story I had trouble putting it down. One murder leads to something so much bigger and the story brought in so many characters who have been involved in previous cases, it was excellent. And of course I loved the progress in the main characters personal lives and relationships.
Mary Heron
Feb 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read. How this series stays so fresh is a mystery to me, 52 books in and all great. This one is as close to a police procedural as JDRobb has ever got. There is so much going on with the murder and the murder suspects that there is almost no time for the character development and personal touches we also get, I say almost, the author does manage to squeeze in some very good verbal bantering and there is a major development for a few of the characters. The murder victim is an artist, dead ...more
Paraphrodite
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021
4 stars.

This one was interesting. It started off like it was going to be a fairly routine type of murder mystery. And I sort of thought that would be the case since it came after a very intensely personal case in the last book Shadows in Death.

But a few chapters in, it devolved into something totally different (view spoiler)
Natalia
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
These books are always over too fast!

• Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • All American Boys
  • In Her Shoes
  • Take a Hint, Dani Brown (The Brown Sisters, #2)
  • By a Thread
  • Seeing Danger (Sinclair and Raven, #2)
  • Touched by Danger (Sinclair and Raven #3)
  • Pucked Over (Pucked, #3)
  • A Wilderness of Glass (Wraith Kings)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Bylines & Blue Lines (Fast Ice Book 1)
  • Sensing Danger (Sinclair and Raven, #1)
  • Blink of an Eye (Kendra Michaels #8)
  • Leave No Trace
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Forgotten in Death (St. Martin's Press, September 2021) ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)