Start by marking “Make Up Break Up” as Want to Read:
Make Up Break Up

Make Up Break Up

Love, romance, second chances, fairy-tale endings…these are the things Annika Dev believes in. Her app, Make Up, has been called the “Google Translate for failing relationships.”

High efficiency break-ups, flashy start-ups, penthouses, fast cars…these are the things Hudson Craft believes in. His app, Break Up, is known as the “Uber for break-ups.” It’s wildly successful—an
Published February 2nd 2021 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Make Up Break Up, please sign up.

Start your review of Make Up Break Up
chan ☆
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was ok
i’ll take insufferable heroines for $200, alex
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! I loved this book so much! The passion and smoking chemistry between the characters, their sassy, hot, smart banters, the high tension enemies to lovers premise stole my heart!

I couldn’t put it down. It was so much better than so many romantic comedies that I’ve lately read. There is reasonable angst parts, lots of misunderstandings, clever pranks both of MCs pull on each other. It’s emotional, funny, passionate, intriguing.

What if your worst enemy who ruined your career and stole your id
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
2.5 stars. This book was... not a great fit for me, if I'm being honest. I wanted so badly to love this, but I found myself so bored through most of it, and in the few moments where I wasn't super bored, I was extremely frustrated by the actions of the characters and the undercooked plot. The biggest womp :c

CW: car accidents, terminal illness, death of a loved one
Sheyla ✎

What happens when your summer hookup steals your ideas, becomes more popular than you, and then moves next to your office?

Yes, this it's exactly what happens to Annika Dev. When she finds out, she wants to hurt Hudson!

Annika believes in love and in getting a second chance. At least, she believes her new app can do it. Make Up is the app that could bring couples together. She knows it can be successful. Yet, she is in dire straights. Financially, her company is a mess. She needs an influx of
Jessica | JustReadingJess
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Make Up Break Up was the perfect light read. I loved the characters and was entertained from the first page. Annika is very independent and will do anything to save her company. However, she will not take money from her family or employee. Developing the Make Up app is her passion and she won’t let anyone convince her to give up. She is convinced Hudson is a bad person because of the Break Up app. However, Hudson is always there for her and except for their friendly pranks is always nice to her. ...more
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
As excited as I was to read an adult romance debut by a YA author, the romance here didn’t work too well for me. If we had the hero’s POV, I feel like it would’ve helped and made my connection with the romance stronger. I did enjoy the writing and appreciated seeing female characters working in tech - but the story/romance itself I just felt a bit bored with and found myself skimming. I wish I could’ve loved this more! 2.5-3 stars.
megs_bookrack ((is traveling for turkey))
**2.5-stars rounded up**

Make Up Break Up is Sandhya Menon's Adult Romance debut; here writing under the name, Lily Menon.

Most people know Menon from her cutesy YA Contemporary novels, When Dimple Met Rishi, From Twinkle, with Love and There's Something About Sweetie.

In Make Up Break Up, our protagonist is Annika Dev, the creator of a relationship app, Make Up. Even though the app is floundering, Annika believes she can make her 'Google translate for failing relationships' work.

When a rival app,
nick (the infinite limits of love)

Well. This is a massive disappointment. Having loved all of Sandhya Menon's YA romances, I was so pumped to read her adult debut. I thought for sure she'd nail it, but here I am even months after I've read this book, completely baffled at how this is a book that came from one of my favorite authors of all-time. I have only myself to blame for having so much hope. There's nothing obviously wrong with Make Up Break Up - it's simply a boring book with irritating characters and a bland romance that
Bree Hill
Dec 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I'm really conflicted over Make Up Break Up after having just finished it. This book had a lot of potential. The set up was really strong and promising, I thought it was going to be great. This is a enemies'ish, hate to love'ish romance between Annika and Hudson. Emphasis on 'ish because for real, I have no idea what it is.

Annika and Hudson had a week long situationship in Vegas once upon a time at a tech conference. She spilled her heart to Hudson about her idea to start an app that helped coup
Syndi
Mar 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Make Up Break Up is a fine example of how to write hate to love romance. The plot, the banter and moral messages are real. Misses Menon writes a realistic story with setting in modern time.

There are so much moral messages in the story. Gender equality, family, pride and prejudice. And most of all the chemistry between Anika and Hudson. Their prank is funny and real. Their connection is also hot even though I wish for more deeper drama between them.

Overall this is a wonderful story.

4 stars
Maddie Browse
Aug 28, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021
3.5
I really wanted to give this a 4, and honestly I think if there'd been smut I possibly would have done, but on the characters and story alone I'm not sure! It was good fun and did get me invested, but overall was a little mediocre and didn't do a lot for me!
nitya
Feb 09, 2021 rated it liked it
Note: Many (belated) thank yous to St. Martin's Griffin for the e-arc!

Enemies to lovers still isn't my favorite trope but I would read Lily's grocery list tbh. I adore the close dad + daughter relationship and female friendships in this, and of course the dedication. Swoon Squad for life 🥰

And all the YAAAAAY for badass WOC in the STE(A)M field!!

Content warning: racism, sexism, hospitalization of a loved one, cancer, death of a parent (off page)
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Rating 2.5 stars

The reason behind the creation of his app was very predictable and the whole story was based on miscommunication. Everything was formulaic and it was boring because of it. However, Lily/Sandhya Menon writes really well and is able to convey a lot of emotions. I love her writing so, therefore, I will continue reading her books.
Fanna
➵ as a debut adult romance by an author who has given young adult gems like 10 things i hate about pinky , this story not only delivers on what is expected from an entertaining love story established on a summer fling and moral rivalry, but also gives an ardent recognition to young women in the tech industry. a lighthearted tale filled with fun banter and a miscommunication trope that doesn't read frustratingly, this fiction acknowledges and even appreciates significant differences between th ...more
V.B. Book Reviews
3.5 Love to Hate You Stars!

"Do I unsettle you, Ms. Dev?"

2C6B7E49-04C1-433B-AECB-C4E715A986A7

A while back, I saw this book pop up on a list for Romance reads not to miss in 2021. So when I saw it on NetGalley, I had to request it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the majority of this book. Working in the corporate world myself, I loved reading about a business savvy heroine who pulls no punches when it comes to achieving her goals. This book manages to pull off both an enemies-to-lovers trope as well as second chance love.

Anni
Blackjack
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: published-2021, arc
This book has been compared to The Hating Game (like lots of books now!), but the similarities are superficial at best, and so reader beware that this book lacks the charm and wit that really elevates Sally Thorne's novel. Annika and Hudson are rivals in the same industry, and both secretly harbor an attraction to each other that is derailed by their work competitiveness.

Both Annika and Hudson devise apps to make dating convenient and more successful. While Hudson focuses on how to break up wit
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
The enemy to lovers trope has always been a favorite and Make Up Break Up took that love and amped it up by about 1000. The tension between these two was so deliciously sweet. In fact at times it was heart pounding make you want to fan your face hot. The pages were burning with what you could feel between these two and the more they battled it out, the hotter it got.

And while I loved these two together and all that delicious sexual tension, there were things about this that didn't quite sit rig
Anniek
I need Netflix to adapt this book stat. This would make such a delightful romcom! And I mean, that's exactly what it was in book form too. I read this almost in one sitting and that turned out to be an excellent way to spend my Saturday.

If you've enjoyed Sandhya Menon's YA romances, and you enjoy reading adult romance, you absolutely need to read this!
Abbie | abthebooknerd
A cute new enemies-to-lovers Rom-Com from YA romance writer, Sandhya Menon!

As two rival app developers clash again and again—and again—in this contemporary romance, optimist Annika Dev finds herself drawn into enemy Hudson Craft’s fast-paced, high velocity, utterly shallow world. Only, from up close, he doesn’t seem all that shallow. Could it be that everything she thought about Hudson is completely wrong?

This was a cute, quick read! Because it was kinda short, there's not much to say. With the
Vicky Again
the first 2021 book I have read!

if you like
- enemies-to-lovers, rivals-to-lovers, whatever it's called
- heroines who may be a little bit judgmental & impulsive
- hero who okay, are a little bit confusing but have good intentions (and really nice pecs)
- last ditch attempts to save a business
- next door (work) neighbor shenanigans
- tech vibes & women in STEM

definitely check out Make Up Break Up! it has the tropes for you!
Stacee
Read to 40%, then skipped around

I had such high hopes for this one and was so very disappointed.

I couldn’t connect to either of these characters. Annika is smart, Hudson is charming, together they have so much potential and yet, it’s all pettiness and ridiculous behavior. There are a few secondary characters, but it didn’t seem like we got to know them.

Plot wise, it’s a lot of back and forth and about a million percent more inner monologue than I would have liked. The story moved slowly and I
3.5/ 5 stars

Make Up Break Up is YA author Sandhya Menon's first adult romance written under the pen name Lily Menon.

Make Up Break Up is a romantic comedy that takes place in Los Angeles, California. The narrator is 24 year old Annika Dev (3rd person POV). She has created a new app called Make Up. Her arch rival Hudson has created a new app called Break Up.

I really loved the idea of this book. I loved that Annika and her best friend June were creating a new tech business. I adored June. And I als
Shee
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
This was just what I needed. Cute, heartwarming, relatable and so fricking fun 💜 Annika and Hudson, you have my heart! I cannot wait for more adult novels from Sandhya!

I’m so thankful to have been approved for an arc and if anyone here is part of Swoon Squad pls say hi!

Full review:

I adored the back and fourth between Annika and Hudson, and their alluring chemistry made you want to rush through the pages and see them together and happy. The start-up backdrop provided the perfect setting for this
Sofie |
"Detest" was a strong word. So were "abhor" and "despise" and "loathe". Annika, being a pacifist, preferred a different term - something her yoga teacher had said that struck a much more civil cord.

"I am elementally unaligned with you, Hudson Craft,"

Make Up Break Up Follows Annika Dev, a young female app developer as she competes with her arch enemy, Hudson Craft, at a pitch competition for a massive investment. The catch? Hudson Craft and his business, Break Up, have moved into the office n
Sahitya
I was quite excited when the author announced that she was writing an adult romcom because despite adoring her YA novels, I seem to prefer the adult books more these days. So I was very happy when I got the arc very early.

The writing is very easy to breeze through, it’s fast paced and so easy to find myself lost in the story. The signature Sandhya’s charm and banter is all over in the dialogue, which I really enjoyed. I liked both the main characters Annika and Hudson too, though I would have p
Amy
Feb 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
I love this recent surge of romance novels set in a tech world, the modern take on finding love is endlessly fascinating for me, and when it features a badass, strong woman in the tech world, I’m even happier. Annika was all of that and more and I just loved her as a character, in fact she’s what made me like this one so much.

If you like both second chance romances AND enemies to lovers this one has both, so fun! Annika and Hudson had a steamy vacation romance that didn’t work out and then when
Sarah {The Clever Reader}
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Annika Dev's app Make Up is in direct competition with her nemesis app Break Up. After her week with Hudson a year ago Annika vowed she'd never let him break her heart again. Now that he's moved into the office down the hall she finds herself running into him at the most inopportune times and each time she doesn't let him hear the end of her opinion regarding his app Break Up. Who would create something that allowed people to break up with their significant others without giving the relationship ...more
a

What's crazy is that when I first tried to read this book, I was struggling to get through the first chapter and thought for sure I wasn't going to enjoy it much. But then I got passed that first chapter and my god, this book was so good!

There is just something about Lily's writing style that I love so much! I've read her YA books (written under a different pen name) and it's the one thing I always remember. That she has a way of making you feel so invested in her characters and their s
halfirishgrin
Nov 06, 2020 marked it as dnf
I usually love Sandhya Menon books but this was a huge disappointment to me. DNF'd at 50% in when I realised nothing the love interest did would redeem him for me. ...more

• The Witches
  • Beach Read
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • The Last Flight
  • Mexican Gothic
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed, #1)
  • Hideaway
  • The Dilemma
  • Tweet Cute
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • The Chase (Briar U, #1)
  • Paper Princess (The Royals, #1)
  • Luster
  • His & Hers
  • The Dare (Briar U, #4)
  • No Bad Deed
  • Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet
  • The Play (Briar U, #3)
See top shelves…

Articles featuring this book

This May, as we celebrate Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, we wanted to take an opportunity to shine a light on some of the...
“Annika couldn’t wait to see what they’d build together.” 0 likes