Start by marking “Every Last Fear” as Want to Read:
Every Last Fear

Every Last Fear

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  6,969 ratings  ·  1,948 reviews
“They found the bodies on a Tuesday.”

So begins this twisty and breathtaking novel that traces the fate of the Pine family, a thriller that will both leave you on the edge of your seat and move you to tears.

After a late night of partying, NYU student Matt Pine returns to his dorm room to devastating news: nearly his entire family—his mom, his dad, his little brother and sis
Published March 2nd 2021 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Every Last Fear, please sign up.
Minotaur Books Alex Finlay is not AJ Finn. He'll be participating in virtual events in the next few weeks"

…more

(less)
Minotaur Books Not yet! It will be available on March 2, 2021. But make sure you are following Alex Finlay because we'll be running multiple Goodreads giveaways lead…moreNot yet! It will be available on March 2, 2021. But make sure you are following Alex Finlay because we'll be running multiple Goodreads giveaways leading into publication!(less)

·  6,969 ratings  ·  1,948 reviews

Start your review of Every Last Fear
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay! This is soooo much more than I expected! Action packed, riveting, dazzling, twisty and absolutely unputdownable!

For the attention of movie producers: this secret gem could be adapted into an amazing action/ thriller/ drama movie or extremely binge watch worthy limited series. It captivates you from the beginning, hurling so many whirlwind twists at you and picking your interest, focus, entire energy.

You just have to cancel your entire schedule. Pull the plug off your loved ones not to di
MarilynW
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Every Last Fear by Alex Finlay

What a time to read a book that I didn't want to put down. I was reading this book on Christmas Eve and Christmas so I couldn't just read nonstop and ignore my husband, like I might do on other days...ha ha. This story starts with a dead family, mother, father, son, daughter, on vacation in Mexico. Such a terrible tragedy caused by a gas leak.

The Pine family had suffered so much already. Years ago, the oldest son, Danny, was convicted of murdering his high school g
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY***

This book reminded me of why I started reading thrillers a few years ago. Among the many mediocre books out there, this one was the real thing!!!

This had everything I like in a mystery/thriller. The characters were quite well developed, the plot kept going and intensified and there was resolution at the end of the novel!!! The fact that this is a debut novel makes it that much more impressive.

The Pine family has been through a lot!!!!!!! The oldest son, Danny, has bee
Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February)
“You have two choices when you’re confronted with your every last fear: Give up or fight like hell.”

Every Last Fear is a psychological thriller about an entire family who dies while on vacation in Mexico. Were their deaths accidental or was foul play involved?

Two sons survive: One in prison for murder, the other in college. It takes a documentary, an intelligent FBI agent, and a college kid who’s about to break, to solve what really happened to the Pine family.

This is a fast-paced, page-turne
Farrah
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
⭐4 Making a Murderer+Taken Hybrid Stars ⭐

I have a name for books like this. I call them 'surface stories'. Kinda the opposite of a book that's character driven.
We don't get a lot of depth with the Pine family members, or atmosphere with the locations. Instead the plot moves fast, strong and straightforward.
It's a book that reads like a movie, and I was hooked from, like, the first page!

A huge THANK YOU to Net Galley for allowing me to read this ARC!
daph pink ♡
I guess what they say about universe giving us signs is true.

Universe was conspiring against me/ for me , because it didn't wanted me to read this book.

Sign 1 :- My arc request got rejected

Sign 2 :- I broke my phone the day I got my eBook so I had to wait for a week till I get to read this.

Sign 3 :- When I finally started reading it , nobody in my house got chill , my siblings and parents weren't constantly nagging me.

But now when I finally completed it , I guess Universe was correct.

2* Wh
jessica
Mar 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
true crime is super popular in pop culture these days, so i really enjoyed seeing influences of real life cases in this. from a prisoner saying they are wrongfully convicted, to the murder of an ex girlfriend, to netflix documentaries, this books feels like a work of true crime.

i think the characters are compelling (i was invested in all of the POVs), the plot is mysterious (so many little misdirections and red herrings), and the writing is engaging (i read this in one sitting).

this is a debut n
Jayme
Remember this name-Alex Finlay is going to be your next Auto-Request author after you read his debut!!

And, this book is AVAILABLE NOW!

Opening Paragraph:
“They found the bodies on a Tuesday.
Two days after the family had missed their flight home.
Six days after all the texts and social media had gone dark.”

The Pine family was one made infamous by the true crime documentary “A Violent Nature”, which chronicled the story of the conviction of Danny Pine for the murder of his girlfriend, Charlot
Debra
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
“They found the bodies on a Tuesday.”

Matt Pine receives word that his family has been found dead in Mexico. The Mexican Authorities have deemed it an accident. The FBI and State Department have their suspicions. All the remains of their family are his older brother who is in prison and himself.

The Pine family is well known. Danny, Matt's older brother is serving time for killing his high school girlfriend, Charlotte. Everyone believes that he is innocent. He was convicted with no evidence
Kat
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY!!!

Apparently my New Year’s tradition every year should be to read an amazing psychological thriller, because 2020 began with The Silent Patient, and 2021 has begun with this brilliant gem. Alex Finlay delivered an outstanding debut with this story of a family torn apart by past and present tragedy. You know it’s going to be intense when the book starts with the deaths of most of the members of the family that the book is about.

The Pine family: dad Evan, mom Olivia (Liv), da
Michelle
Dec 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Wow! What a book!

Matt Pine, a student at NYU, wakes up with a raging hang over after a hard night of partying only to find that the FBI would like a word with him. His world comes crashing down when they inform him that his father Evan, his mother Liv, his teenage sister Maggie, and five year old brother Tommy died while vacationing in Mexico. An apparent gas leak but FBI agent Sarah Keller
Lisa
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
My thanks to St. Martin's Press, Alex Finlay and Netgalley.
This story. I don't even have the words to tell you how it broke me. The thing is that from the beginning, you know "mostly" how it ends. I got to know these people. I had hoped that the beginning was a ruse. It's not.
Everyone who knows me also knows that I love murder and mayhem. This though. This broke my brittle, dried up beef jerky heart! I hate when "family" is messed with!
In truth? As horrified as I am by this book, I do believe
Regina
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Every Last Fear is now available!

Find this and more of my reviews at: https://www.confettibookshelf.com/rev...

In 2018, an Iowa family of four died after asphyxiating from toxic gas while vacating at a resort in Akumal, Mexico. Being an Iowan myself, this story was pervasive at the time. First they were missing, since loved ones weren’t able to get in touch with them, but Mexican authorities eventually found them dead in their rental condo. Their names are Kevin, Amy, Sterling (12) and Adrianna (
Kaceey
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
A brilliant debut!

Matt Pine is an NYU student with a lovable and eclectic group of friends. Matt is going to need those friends. He’s just received tragic news… his entire family has been killed while vacationing in Mexico.

Unfortunately, Matt is no stranger to bad luck in his life. His older brother Danny was convicted of murdering his girlfriend and now behind bars. And Matts’ father has never lost confidence in the belief that Danny is innocent.

It seems like a huge leap of faith to imagine th
Nicole
Jan 29, 2021 rated it really liked it

I was excited to read this book after seeing the positive reviews and it didn’t disappoint!

The first chapter opens up with
“They found the bodies on a Tuesday.
Two days after the family had missed their flight home.
Six days after all the texts and social media had gone dark.”
and the story doesn’t slow down.

Matt Pines is surprised when an FBI agent, Sarah Keller, stops by and the last thing he imagines learning is that his family was found dead in Mexico. Although the Mexican authori
Ceecee
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Matt Pine, an NYU student, receives some devastating news that his father Evan, mother Olivia, sister Maggie and baby brother Tommy have died at their holiday accommodation in Mexico. His elder brother Danny is in prison convicted of killing his girlfriend Charlotte. The family utterly believe in Danny’s innocence and cite a false coerced confession which is the subject of a Netflix documentary about wrongful conviction. Matt receives sucker punch after punch in this very compelling psychologica ...more
Mischenko
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, fiction, thriller
This turned out to be an excellent mystery thriller!

The story begins with Matt, a college student who’s suddenly informed that almost his entire family is dead. It doesn’t really make any sense that these deaths could be an accident, and there’s more to the story that’s yet to be disclosed. The family already has some history, and now Matt has to deliver the news to his brother who’s serving time for something from his past. Were these deaths just an accident, and can all of this somehow connect
Sheyla ✎
Jan 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
The book begins with tragedy. The Pine family has been found dead while vacationing in Mexico.

Matt, the son and brother, is informed of their death. But was his family really vacationing?

That’s the big question.

The Pine family had it hard. Their oldest son Danny was convicted of killing his pregnant girlfriend. Then, moving her dead body to the creek using a wheelbarrow.

Yet the father, Ethan Pine knows in his heart, his son is not guilty and he has spent the last few years trying to prove it.

Ma
preoccupiedbybooks
Happy publishing day! (2nd March 2021)

A fast paced, heart-breaking mystery/thriller about family, secrets, lies and love.

"You have two choices when you're confronted with your every last fear: Give up or fight like hell." (Evan Pine)

What would you do if one of your loved ones was convicted of a crime, which you knew they didn't commit?
Matt Pine's family is found dead in Mexico, after their true-crime documentary on Netflix about his older brother Danny's conviction for murdering his girlfrie
Michael David
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddy-read
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY to one of my favorite reads in 2020!!

5 stars to one of my favorite thrillers of the year!

Matt Pine, a college student at NYU, returns from a night of partying...only to find out that his mom, dad, younger brother and sister died while vacationing in Mexico. The cause of death was apparently a gas leak. This makes headlines for multiple reasons, but mainly because the Pine Family is famous after a Netflix documentary was released regarding Danny Pine, Matt’s older brother,
Bridgett
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arc
"They found the bodies on a Tuesday. Two days after the family had missed their flight home. Six days after all texts and social media had gone dark."

I know we're only a couple weeks into 2021, but Every Last Fear might very well be one of my favorite books of the year...and this is a debut novel for Alex Finlay. Color me impressed!

This book has everything...a twisty, clever plot (with no plot holes), characters which are all beautifully fleshed out and real, pulse-pounding red herrings, an
Blaine
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it

You have two choices when you’re confronted with your every last fear:

Give up or fight like hell.

Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for sending me an ARC of Every Last Fear in exchange for an honest review.

The elevator pitch fo
Carolyn Walsh
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katie B

Every Last Fear is one of the best mystery thrillers I have read in the last couple of years. And I stand by that statement because I double checked by looking at my list of completed books on Goodreads. Sure enough, after comparing it to the many books I have read in the mystery and thriller genres, this book is what I consider a top tier read. An interesting premise that hooked me early on.

NYU student Matt Pine receives devastating news that his parents and younger siblings have been
Peter
Apr 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deception
Every Last Fear is a profound mystery diffused into a clever perceptive plot that ravages a family through the most brutal and chilling encounters with killers and ruthlessly powerful people. What makes this murder mystery that little more poignant are the backdrop similarities with the Netflix true-crime series Making a Murderer.

Danny Pine was convicted of brutally murdering his girlfriend Charlotte Rose after a house party many years previous and he has spent the last seven in prison
Tina
This is a Suspense Mystery, but I would not call this a thriller. I really loved the beginning, but the ending was just good not great. I guess all the twist way before they where revealed which kindof let me down. I did think the plot/storyling was good, and the characters where good. I do think if you did not guess the reveal it would be a really great read. I enjoyed the book, and I still really liked this book. This book did keep me wanting to reading it, and there where points that was stil ...more
Susanne  Strong
Nov 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
A Pulse Pounding Thriller!

Matt Pine is a student at NYU when he receives the terrible news that his entire family has been found dead while vacationing in Mexico. At first the deaths appear to be accidental.

Soon however, Matt’s own life is in danger.

Years prior, Matt’s older brother Danny was incarcerated for murdering his girlfriend. Danny still maintains his innocence. A Podcast has since surfaced which also suggests that Danny was wrongfully convicted.

Are these events linked? Is anyone sa
Marialyce (absltmom, yaya)

A family hit with tragedy; a young son, Danny, imprisoned for many years for a murder he claims he didn't commit. A family devastated and the father devoting his life to finding out answers for he knows his son is innocent. Many parents might think their child incapable of an appalling crime as in this case, the young pregnant girl's face was smashed in and she was found in a horrific state.

The mother wounded by the hateful looks, telephone messages, and social media, that has torn not
Catherine Woodward
**Many thanks to BookishFirst, Minotaur, and Alex Finlay for an ARC of this book! Now available as of 3.2.21!**

Stunning, compelling, and absolutely addictive!

First off, any book that starts with a line like "They found the bodies on a Tuesday."?

IMMEDIATELY has my undivided attention.

Finlay wastes no time plunging the reader into the middle of this scintillating mystery: the bodies of the entire Pine family have been found in a hotel room in Mexico...the entire family, that is, save for son Matt
Liz
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book starts off at a brisk pace and never lets up. The bodies of an American family are found dead in a holiday rental house in Mexico. The family is already well known to the public, as the oldest son was found guilty of murdering his high school girlfriend and is in prison. In a homage to The Making of a Murderer, there’s been a recent Netflix documentary proclaiming the son’s innocence. Matt, the other living son was in college and unable to join them. It falls to him to try and discover ...more

• Little Secrets
  • One Man (Naked Trilogy, #1)
  • Two Together (Naked Trilogy #3)
  • Revolver Road  (Harper McClain, #3)
  • Death of an American Beauty (Jane Prescott, #3)
  • One Woman (Naked Trilogy, #2)
  • The Dinner List
  • Final Girls
  • Come Back for Me (The Arrowood Brothers, #1)
  • Come the Slumberless To the Land of Nod
  • Artful Lies (Hunt Legacy Duology, #1)
  • Eden
  • Tender Is the Flesh
  • Fight for Me (The Arrowood Brothers, #2)
  • The Last Time I Lied
  • The Second Home
Alex Finlay is the pseudonym of an author who lives in Washington, D.C. Born in the American South, Alex spent years traversing the globe, from a tropical island in the Pacific to a small village in the UK to a remote region in the Far East. But it was on a trip to Tulum, Mexico that Alex was inspired to write Every Last Fear.

Articles featuring this book

Comforting cozies, courtroom theatrics, and cold cases that warm back up...mystery and thriller subgenres are bigger and better than ever these...
“[T]he truth of the matter was that it was rarely a stranger who killed you; it was usually someone you held dear. As Keller knew too well, the sheep spends its life worried about the wolf, only to be eaten by the farmer.” 7 likes
“People think I’m obsessed, that I’m crazy. That I’m selfish and a fool. But what would you do if your son was convicted for a crime he didn’t commit? If he was locked up for the rest of his life and you knew in your bones he was innocent? If your family was broken?

You have two choices when you’re confronted with your every last fear:

Give up or fight like hell.”
4 likes