Start by marking “Too Good to Be True” as Want to Read:
Too Good to Be True

Too Good to Be True

ONE LOVE STORY. TWO MARRIAGES. THREE VERSIONS OF THE TRUTH.

Skye Starling is overjoyed when her boyfriend, Burke Michaels, proposes after a whirlwind courtship. Though Skye seems to have the world at her fingertips―she’s smart, beautiful, and from a well-off family―she’s also battled crippling OCD ever since her mother’s death when she was eleven, and her romantic relations
Published March 2nd 2021 by St. Martin's Press

Start your review of Too Good to Be True
MarilynW
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Too Good to Be True had me hooked hard for the first half of the book. Three narrators, with at least two of them seeming questionable to me, led me along, with chapters alternating between the three. And then a huge twist at the halfway mark...it was a gotcha moment for me and I love that, when I am outfoxed, not suspecting something very big.

But then the second half of the book, with the same three alternating points of view, seemed to be like a very long epilogue. We knew almost everything a
Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February)
The Twist Got Me Good!

Too Good to Be True is a psychological thriller about revenge, deception, and one very smart sociopath.

I am not going to write a summary, because I don’t want to give anything anyway.

Narrated by three characters, I never knew where this was going.

Too Good to Be True is a page-turner. It is fast-paced and has some very surprising twists and turns. There is one huge twist that I thought about potentially being an option early on, but I thought no, that’s just crazy
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Three POVs, a struggling couple in mid-forties who has insufferable financial problems and a nearly thirty years old young woman who can be a great solution to fix everything goes wrong in their lives :

Heather, longing to perfectly balanced, wealthy life since the beginning of their marriage and her husband Burke is the reason they lost everything with his tremendous mistake and now he thinks they have a chance to way out. He’s going to seduce trust fund baby: Skye who is getting closer to be 3
Chelsea Humphrey
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Shannon
I think it's best if you go in as blind as possible for this story, so I'll keep my review brief, but I love how the author chose to blend multiple POVs in a way that makes the reader question what is accurate and what is not throughout. Each character has a view of the others, and this made for a deeper look into the story, one that has you wondering if we don't do something similar with the people in our own lives. How well do we really know the ones that we love? And at the end of the day, ca ...more
Julie
Jan 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Too Good to be True by Carola Lovering is a 2021 St. Martin’s Press publication.

Wickedly good!

This is one of those books that falls into ‘the less you say, the less you know, the better’ category- so to that end-all I’m going to say is:

This is one clever little mind-trip- highly absorbing, and wildly entertaining. If you like getting sucked so completely into a story that you lose track of time, this might be one you want to consider.

There is no agenda- no messages- no sermons, just a good, o
Susanne  Strong
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Wild Stars.

Oh No He Didn’t! Oh Yes, He Most Certainly Did!

Baawaaah! There were times when I actually clapped and times when I cringed. It doesn’t get better than that.

A Brilliantly Plotted Car Crash Waiting to Happen.

Significant others who are less than trustworthy? AS IF!

Character development at its best.

Three cheers for Carola Lovering for writing a stellar, character driven domestic suspense, told from several POV’s that grabbed my attention from the get go and kept me glued to the edg
Jayme
Sep 01, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5

Another book synopsis that says MUCH more than it needs to.

I just read it, and I am so glad that I hadn’t before starting the book.
As others have said, it is best to go in blind.

*SPOILER FREE*

Is Burke- “too good to be true”?

Well, the first POV shares HEATHER’s opinion.

And, the second POV fills you in on how SKYE feels about him.

But, maybe you will need to hear from BURKE himself, in the 3rd POV before you ultimately decide! 🤔

The three POV’s were EQUALLY COMPELLING as they alternate in t
Sheyla ✎
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one so much! Yes, the ending was an unbelievable one but I went with it.

Too Good To Be True was a page-turner suspense with a great twist that I did not see coming. I actually had an "Oh wow" moment.

Skye Starling is a young woman who is working as an editor. She is also a very rich woman. She has a trust that would make anyone more than comfortable in life. Yet, even though it looks like she has everything or she could buy it if she wanted to, she is unlucky in love. She has OCD
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY***
First off I’d like to say that a 3 star from me means that it was an ok book, just not one I could highly recommend.

I think this book started off with a bang. The first 50% of the book was a quick, fast paced roller coaster of a ride and I enjoyed it. I did start to have believability issues pretty early on, but this is fiction and I went with it.

Skye seems to be very naïve considering she is 29 years old. She is, however, still grieving from the loss of her mother
Michelle
Dec 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that Carola Lovering got me good with that twist! I love nothing more than having the rug pulled out beneath me while reading. When you are so certain about something only to find out that you are entirely wrong. That is so damn satisfying.

Skye is a 29 year old woman that has not been lucky in love. Living in NYC as an editor she has debilitating OCD in which she must knock on wood so many times and in so many ways that most of the men she meets hightail it before date number tw
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
If he seems too good to be true...well he probably is! Holy twist!! I love a good twist and well this one got me good. This is best to go in blind because...well it just is...so on that note..

Skye has trouble with men. They can't seem to accept her for who she is. Sure she is pretty, rich and fun.. but she has OCD and that has lead to some cruel treatment by...pretty much everyone...then along came Burke. Gorgeous, older and totally in love with Skye. He sweeps her off her feet. However, not eve
Regina
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Now available!

Too Good to Be True is an intriguing, well-written thriller that is distributed by a major publishing house, so don't let the drab cover that looks like a self-published DIY job fool you.

Carola Lovering has crafted a story that will pull you in and make you feel for characters you might otherwise despise at the hands of a lesser author. It's particularly interesting that one suffers from OCD, which feels like a fresh plot point for the thriller genre.

There are dual timelines and
Holly  B
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

I really thought I had this last twist figured out, but boy was I wrong!

It was pretty entertaining and the characters surprised me over and over again. I think I would have liked it to be a bit shorter with fewer pages of diary entries. The pace could have been improved, but I still had fun reading it.

If you enjoy a domestic drama with some melodrama, you may enjoy this one too.

Thanks to NG for my advanced copy. OUT on March 02,2021
Debra
Feb 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
If it seems too good to be true....

Go in as blind as possible. The synopsis is more than enough.

I enjoyed the various POV chapters and letters/journal entries in this book. Half of the fun was trying to figure out when the truth would come out. But here is the thing.... what is the truth? This aspect of the book won me over right away. I love putting on my super sleuth hat and trying to figure things out. There is a big twist and reveal halfway through the book. A big "aha" moment which turns th
Catherine Woodward
Oct 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*Many thanks to NetGalley, St. Martin's Press, and Carola Lovering for an ARC of this book! Now available as of 3.2.21!*

**NOTE: My first caution with this book, as many others have mentioned, is to go in absolutely blind, spoiler-free, and whatever you do, do NOT read the synopsis before cracking this one open! The setup will become very clear to you immediately while reading, and no real background is necessary to enjoy the story...but as for a quick version of the premise?**

Burke? The perfect,
Susan
I’d been looking forward to receiving a print copy from a Goodreads Give-away and it was worth the wait!

Twists, deception, and a trio of interesting narrators kept me off balance wondering who to believe. The truth could lie (intended) in any of their stories. Who's spinning tales?

I don’t want to spoil and detail additional plot lines not covered in the synopsis, but I enjoyed this story about marriage entanglements, perception, and lies. I will also say that the first half is a much stronger re
Javier
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review published in: https://diagnosisbookaholic.blogspot....

Was "Too good to be true" too good to be true as the title suggested? As a whole it was a tremendously enjoyable psychological suspense, but if we break it down bit by bit there were a couple things that prevented me from rating it with 5 stars.

The first half was so compelling I could not turn the pages fast enough. Usually, when there are several POVs I tend to be more interested in some more than others, but in this case all three PO
Denise
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
In a nutshell, beautiful girl on vacation randomly meets a shithot, handsome beyond belief, best-thing-since-sliced-bread man, has a mind-blowing, whirlwind romance, and is proposed to within a few months; but then realizes it might all be too good to be true. While it sounds as cliché as living happily ever after, falling head over heels, and all is fair in love and war, it is actually as fresh as a daisy and as clever as a fox. And now that I've used every idiom I can come up with to keep in l ...more
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways-arcs
HOLY WOW! I can't even begin to express how much I enjoyed this book!! Five stars doesn't do it justice and I have and will be recommending it to everyone I know! Too Good To Be True is definitely my favorite read of 2021 so far and I imagine it will be in my top ten (maybe top five!!) of the year!

Skye is a wealthy woman in her late 20s. She has a group of close girlfriends who she's steadily watching get married, have children, and settle down and Skye is wanting those things for herself. Howev
Bridgett
Jan 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I think I might be an outlier on this one.

This was another one of those books I finished early this morning, and as I sat down to write the review, I had to re-read the synopsis to remind myself of the plot. It was that forgettable.

Too Good to Be True had glaringly obvious red herrings (including the synopsis - I recommend you don't even read it if you're contemplating this book), an unmemorable story line, and an absolutely ridiculous conclusion. If you like happily ever after, this one i
Theresa Alan
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely well-plotted novel. Told from multiple points of view at different times in the characters’ lives, this story pulls you in and keeps you turning pages.

The characters were all flawed, but their motivations were understandable, if often underhanded and wildly unethical. So even though this is a captivating tale, it’s not exactly fun or a light read, so you just have to be in the right mood for this.

I’m not going to tell you anything about the plot—the book jacket copy I read
Gary
Sep 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very addictive novel and I spent a lot more time reading at a time than I meant to. Good plot, great characters and a nice twist. This really was a book that got better with every page I read.

When Skye Starling meets Burke Michaels it is like a dream come true and it is only months later when Burke proposes. Skye is a wealthy woman who has suffered from OCD since her mother's death and this has had a detrimental affect on her relationships.
Burke is a good looking guy who is a lot older
Jamie Rosenblit
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Having loved Carola Lovering’s debut, Tell Me Lies, I was over the top excited to receive a copy of Too Good to Be True. Admittedly, I am huuuuge fan of toxic relationships (probably shouldn’t boast that so much) - at least in books, that is! Upon diving into THTBT, I immediately learned there was some sort of triangle and the relationships were all as toxic as they come. Color me hooked! While this one is definitely different from Tell Me Lies, it has the same binge-worthy quality where you can ...more
DeAnn
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
3.75 “Tale of Two Books” stars

Do your best not to read any reviews or the blurb for this book! You will enjoy it so much more that way!

The book features Skye, a young woman who lives with her OCD compulsions, but has yet to find lasting romance – until she meets the older, dashing Burke Michaels. I wondered about the title, is it Burke who is too good to be true? I did have sympathy for Skye and never have read much about compulsions like hers.

We also get point-of-view chapters from Burke so we
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Truly it wasn’t my intention, but 1 Stars pretty much gif themselves.

Okay, so Too Good To Be True. *shudder* This book follows three narratives of a husband, his wife and …. his new wife????? Ahhhhhh, nothing like a little bigamy in the morning to get your blood pumping, right?

Alright, so the problem here lies within the title itself . . . .

Domestic thrillers are already a mixed bag for me. The one thing that makes me enjoy
Juliana (Midnight Book Blog)
Jul 15, 2020 marked it as arcs-to-read
As someone who has diagnosed OCD I am SOOOO EXCITED to read this!!
MissBecka Gee
Jan 30, 2021 rated it liked it
Recommended to MissBecka by: Dita
Fantastic plot and interesting characters Lovering developed here.
My issue was that it felt like two different genres had been smashed together.
It's starts off as a psychological thrillery type, and then turns into more of a women's fiction?
Not exactly what I was hoping for.
The writing is addictive and, despite the weird change in the tone, I still found myself finishing this in one sitting.
Thanks goes out to NetGalley & St. Martin's Press for my DRC.
Kristy
A compelling and twisty thriller

Skye Starling is beautiful, wealthy, and smart. She has a good job and a group of close friends. But she's never found lasting love thanks to her horrible OCD, which she's suffered from since her mother's death when she was young. But when Skye meets Burke Michaels, that all changes. Yes, he's older, but Skye can't help falling for this handsome man who wants her. However, Burke has a secret of his own: he's married, and he's using Skye for her family's money.

Jayme
Feb 27, 2021 rated it liked it
Bizarre love triangle!

Skye Starling is an heiress who has been struggling with OCD ever since her mother’s death when she was twelve years old. Just when she thinks that she will be alone forever, she meets an older man named Burke Michael’s, who loves her in spite of her compulsions. After a whirlwind romance, they marry after just a few short months. However, Burke is hiding a secret. Is their marriage too good to be true? Is love enough?

This book begins like a thriller, but ultimately reads m
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
Burke was definitely deceitful. Heather wasn’t bad at it either.

He knew how to keep secrets, and they were big ones.

We also meet Skye who has her own problem of having an addictive compulsion to count and can't find a boyfriend because of it. Burke solved this problem for her.

Then we meet Libby who became friends with Heather and showed Heather what a good life could be when you had money.

Did the obsession with money have Heather making wrong choices in her life like marrying Burke?

TOO GOOD TO B
Carola Lovering is the author of TELL ME LIES (out now from Atria Books) and TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE (forthcoming from St. Martin's Press, early 2021). She attended Colorado College, and her writing has appeared in W Magazine, National Geographic, Outside, and Yoga Journal, among other publications. She lives in Connecticut.

Instagram: @carolatlovering