Start by marking “Hallowed Ground: the mystery of the African Fairy Circles” as Want to Read:
Hallowed Ground: the mystery of the African Fairy Circles

Hallowed Ground: the mystery of the African Fairy Circles

This magical story is inspired by the most haunting and least explored country in the world - Namibia - with its foggy skeleton coasts; buried goldmines, shocking secrets and awe-inspiring sand dunes.
Published September 25th 2019 by The Conrad Press

To ask other readers questions about Hallowed Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hallowed Ground

Start your review of Hallowed Ground: the mystery of the African Fairy Circles
San
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Namibia is a country that I’m familiar with only from school. So I was really curious what I will find out about it. And while reading Hallowed Ground I had no problem with imagine how Namibia looks like. Paul Twivy managed to describe scenery in spectacular way which was based on his own experiences.

The main characters of this book are four teenagers: Joe, Hannah, Freddie and Selima. Each one of them is from different part of the world but they managed to bulit a strong friendship while working
Lis Carey
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, fiction, fables, f-sf
Joe Kaplan, Freddie Wilde, and Hannah Chiang--one American and two British teenagers--arrive in Namibia due to their parents' jobs. Ben Kaplan is an anthropologist; Barbara Kaplan has been assigned by the hotel chain she works for to develop a new site; Ralph Wilde is the new British High Commissioner to Namibia; Helen Wilde is a doctor who will be working with AIDS patients; Li Chiang is a mining engineer employed by the Chinese government to develop a uranium mine in Namibia; Sarah Chiang is a ...more
Isobel Blackthorn
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Hallowed Ground is a rendering of the Namibian myth of fairy circles into a mystery involving a group of teenagers and their families. The author is clearly passionate about his subject, something that shines through the pages. The writing is good, the pacing considered. I admit I found the character introductions at the beginning of the novel rather tedious and would have preferred a different approach.

Hallowed Ground is an ambitious novel, blending as it does ancient myths and present day issu
Noriko
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, ya
Grand, expansive, multi-layered story of four teenagers unraveling the mystery of Fairy Circles in Namibia, Africa. I initially thought it would revolve around African indigenous myths and folklore and I was proved to have been right to some extent, but there was actually much more to the story, and I was pleasantly surprised.

The story begins with encounters of the four teenagers, Joe, Freddie, Hannah who are relocated to Namibia due to their parents’ job and a local girl, Selima. The opening i
Samantha
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-popsugar-rc
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Trigger Warning: this book contains genocide and suicide.

This is where I normally will spill out my version of what happened in the book, however for this one I'm going to stick with the Synopsis because I think it would be most beneficial for this review.

Lel Budge
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a YA novel, set in Namibia.

The tale centres around the Namibian myth of the fairy circles. A clever mix of old myth and present day life and issues. It tells some of the history of Namibia, it’s culture, landscape and doesn’t shy from the brutal side either.

The protagonists are teenagers who want to solve the mystery of the fairy circles and with the help of a local bushman and some Victorian art ifs ts they mystery begins. Can they solve the mystery? What will the consequences be for th
Graham
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hallowed Ground: The Mystery of the African Fairy Circles

This magical story is inspired by the most haunting and least explored country in the world - Namibia - with its foggy Skeleton Coast, buried goldmines, shocking secrets and awe-inspiring sand dunes.

Spread across the face of its deserts are hundreds of miles of ‘fairy circles’ : vast enough to be seen from space. They grow and die with the same lifespan as humans, yet no-one has been able to explain why or how they appear.

Then one day, thr
warren shear
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting book. Easy to read and very instructive about Namibia. Characterisation good. It ends with a very inventive explanation of the fairy circles.
Magdalena
An original story, with an intriguing plot, but the ending is a bit of a stretch with its ‘green message’.
Bookworm
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hallowed Ground by Paul Twivy is a story about 4 teens who meet at boarding school in Africa called the Augustineum and who are intrigued by the mysterious African Fairy Circles. Freddie, Hannah, Joe and Selima become easy friends while at the school. When they discover historic journals the kids believe there might be clues inside that will help them learn the truth about the fairy circles. They’ve been told the legend of the Golden Leopard, which claims that is how the circles originated but t ...more
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed a copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Rachel’s Random Resources and The Conrad Press for this free copy.

Personally I wouldn’t have classified this as YA even though the characters are described as teenagers. But I could be wrong. I felt like it dealt with way more adult themes and just read more like a New Adult book or something like that. But anyway, I just had to get that out there.

I think this was a really nice nov
Mahathi Ramya
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4 teenagers from different countries and places meet at Augustineum, a boarding school in Namibia and become friends. Fred, Joe, Hannah and Selima are curious, intelligent and brave. They are curious to know about the Fairy circles in South Africa, which are expanded hundreds of miles and are vast enough to be seen from space.

As part of the school science project, they dig deep into the matter and fortunately their parents' backgrounds help them in the discovery.

The story is a fiction, but it
Jo - Cup of Toast
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
'Hallowed Ground’ blends folk tales, history and geography into a story about a group of teenagers who have come together through circumstance in Namibia. Targeted at a Young Adult audience there is intrigue, real life drama and relationships along with an educational element relating to this South African country. The tale of the fairy circles is fascinating (take a look on Google images for real life photos, they’re incredible!) and I’d like to think that through his book Paul Twivy will inspi ...more
Jessica Belmont
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hallowed Ground is about four teenagers, Fred, Joe, Hannah, and Selima who become friends in a boarding school in Nambia. As part of a school project, they look into the Fairy Cricles in South Africa.

Paul Twivy has written a story of fiction that is so well researched and crafted that every bit of it feels real. I love the mystery and suspense aspect. It kept me reading until the end. I also love the message of the story about the connections humans have to nature.

The look into African culture:
Kim
Jun 23, 2020
Le Petit
Dec 16, 2020

• Fool's Quest  (The Fitz and The Fool, #2)
  • Good Girls Lie
  • Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1)
  • Pay Attention, Carter Jones
  • The Haunting at Paradise House
  • Interview with the Robot
  • The Space We're In
  • The Mercies
  • The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)
  • The Love Delusion
  • We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
  • The Sentinel's Alliance (Silent Sea Chronicles, #3)
  • Victory Day (Battle Ground #5)
  • Distortion