Start by marking “Newark Minutemen” as Want to Read:
Newark Minutemen

Newark Minutemen

In between the world wars, during the Great Depression, American democracy is being threatened by a shadow Hitler-Nazi party in America, complete with a self-proclaimed American Hitler and a 1939 Nuremberg-like rally at Madison Square Garden. Inspired by a true American legend, a Jewish boxer trained by the mafia and FBI fights the rising American Nazi party. During his un ...more
Paperback, 1, 347 pages
Published April 28th 2020 by Morgan James

To ask other readers questions about Newark Minutemen, please sign up.
Leslie Barry Trying to avoid spoilers, Yael suffers through embracing someone who's ideology wants him dead. Krista suffers through losing her identity and everyth…moreTrying to avoid spoilers, Yael suffers through embracing someone who's ideology wants him dead. Krista suffers through losing her identity and everything and everyone she knows. They both go through a loss of innocence--an awe and trust of life. But as the awareness of hatred that underlies Krista's culture smacks her in the face, she fights the insecurities of loneliness in order to question those who control her. Its only after great trauma that's she able to let go of her own hidden agenda and open herself to truth.(less)
Leslie Barry Based on a true 1930s story, Newark Minutemen tells an unforgettable tale about forbidden love, intrigue and a courageous man’s search for avenge….

Dur…more

During the heart of the Great Depression, Yael Newman fatefully meets Krista Brecht, daughter of the German-American Nazi high command. When his affections turn real, his friends warn him against crossing the line. When Krista leaves for American Nazi summer camp in Long Island, New York, he swears to rescue her. But his mission becomes much more when he’s recruited by the Jewish mob and FBI to go undercover and fight the American Nazis who are taking over America.(less)

Start your review of Newark Minutemen
Iris Tuttle
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My 94 year old mom told us these stories growing up but it seemed to far fetched and unbelievable. As the family got together with long lost cousins found through Ancestry, the stories connected and turned out to be true. I cannot put the book down knowing now what went on in the back of the candy store near my mom’s apartment where she and her four brothers were raised. This book will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Sharon Zemil Whitt
Excellent details of history brought to life!
Thank you for educating me on a part of American history that I was never taught. The lesson that freedom and equality are never free is still true today.
Steve
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a very important part of American history that few people are aware of. It is a must read!
Kumsuk Kaplan
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was so captivating.
Couldn’t put down.
Everyone should read it.
Gina Stamper
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Newark Minutemen is a very well put together book. To write a Historical novel, you have to be very knowledgeable and do your research. I think that Leslie K. Barry has really managed to bring an authentic feel and facts into her fiction.
I liked the historical background to the evolving story. I think the fact that the author knows the history of what she is writing really shines through.
I loved the book from beginning to end. I found this to be very moving at times. I’m so glad I took the time
Angela Anastasakis
Oct 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
A very important part of history, but I couldn't get beyond the grammatical errors and writing style to finish reading this book. 😞
Sheri T.
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. The writing is clear and compelling, the characters feel genuine and complex, and it zooms along like a thriller. One of those wow who knew stories. It would be a great read even if it wasn't scarily on point for our current political times - which it is.
Coral Kisseberth
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An incredible true story about unknown heroes that takes place in the United States during the 1930s~ fascinating and compelling ~ hard to put down ~ a must-read!!
Leslie Barry
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
“A roller coaster ride of revenge and avenge. Inglorious Bastards, Peaky Blinders, and Titanic all rolled into one.”–Kevin Joseph, producer, Fulwell 73 Productions

“An almost unbelievable true tale of the 1930s. Imagining Nazi swastikas draped across George Washington’s portrait feels like a sinister made-for-movie dystopian story.”–Susan Turley, documentary film producer and executive producer, XRM Media

“Newark Minutemen is a fascinating account about America’s lost history. The unholy alliance
Cortney Donelson
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a phenomenal historical fiction tale based on true events. I highly recommend! The author is an incredible story-teller, building characters and settings that have depth and tension. Everyone should know this story, and everyone will love this book.
Allan Halprin
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an exciting read. It was quite the page turner!! It usually takes me weeks or more to finish a book but O finishes Newark Minutemen in just a few days. You can tell this author wrote this with love and put her soul into it. BRAVO!! I can’t wait to read your next masterpiece too.
Beth J Levine
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Captivating and unbelievable! Highly recommend!
Brian Mcguire
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Time in History Worth Remembering

The events of these times of Nazi infiltration in our history should never be overlooked or forgotten,lest they be repeated. Newark Minutemen takes us back to that time, with both engaging characters to root for, and characters heartily against. The plot can turn dark at times,but adds to the overall intensity. A heartfelt ending as well. Worth a read.
Sheri
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Compelling story and well written. This was a part of American history I was unaware of. Scary to think things could’ve turned out so differently had the Nazi party in our country gained the power they sought here. We have to keep our eyes open.
Carli J
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating read! A captivating take on a piece of American history lost to the history books. Couldn’t put it down!
Deb
Jun 21, 2020
Leslie Barry
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Angela Newby

• Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
  • Robin
  • The Girl from Widow Hills
  • Oona Out of Order
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family
  • The Book of Lost Names
  • The Red Address Book
  • The Emerald Horizon (The Star and the Shamrock #2)
Leslie K. Barry is most recently a screenwriter, author, and executive producer. Her previous professional work includes executive positions with major entertainment companies including Turner Broadcasting, Hasbro/Parker Brothers, Mattel, and Mindscape Video Games. Other areas of business include executive for the first e-shopping platform called eShop and marketing for Lotus Development, the US P ...more

News & Interviews

“We’re also the battle-hardened survivors of the Great War who reclaimed Palestine from the Turks,” Longie says. Our leaders are describing the boxers and their sons who are the Newark Minutemen. I swell with pride whenever Longie compares us to King David's mighty warriors. The timin’ is lucky that Longie’s got an army of boxers he can pivot into a band of soldiers for the FBI.” 0 likes
“My knuckles look like the inside of a grapefruit, but I punch the bag more. With each hit, I repeat the Newark Minutemen creed: “We train to gain control over our bodies. But to triumph, we wrap our bodies around individual will. With each trial, pain becomes more bearable, motions more familiar, waitin’ more calm. Then it’s our way. Then we are Newark Minutemen.” My limbs begin to feel reconnected to my body. I start to feel whole again.” 0 likes