Start by marking “The Damned (The Beautiful, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Damned (The Beautiful, #2)

The Damned

(The Beautiful #2)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  7,929 ratings  ·  1,427 reviews
Following the events of The Beautiful, Sébastien Saint Germain is now cursed and forever changed. The treaty between the Fallen and the Brotherhood has been broken, and war between the immortals seems imminent. The price of loving Celine was costly. But Celine has also paid a high price for loving Bastien.

Still recovering from injuries sustained during a night she can’t q
Published July 7th 2020 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Damned, please sign up.
Annabel Violet According to this article: https://bit.ly/2W41Ani, there's going to be 4 books!…moreAccording to this article: https://bit.ly/2W41Ani, there's going to be 4 books!(less)
Lukyan's Library There is one more explicit scene in this book but nothing graphic.
The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareOne of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManusA ​Sky Beyond the Storm by Sabaa TahirImagine Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2020
824 books — 3,128 voters
House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. MaasThe Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsThe Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. SchwabChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareBlood & Honey by Shelby Mahurin
Can't Wait Books of 2020
1,073 books — 2,892 voters

More lists with this book...

·  7,929 ratings  ·  1,427 reviews

Start your review of The Damned (The Beautiful, #2)
Emily May
Sadly, this sequel is like The Beautiful but with nowhere near enough sexy vampness to keep it thrilling.

To be fair, I thought The Beautiful was only okay. I gave it three stars. It was a bit of mindless entertainment and I'm a sucker (ha, pun!) for sexy vampires, let's be honest. But the world itself was quite weak, the setting felt nothing like 1872, and the whole supernatural politics aspect was not interesting to me. With this book, I really just wanted some Bastien/Celine smut, lol. Or, lik
jessica
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
the queen of duologies has done it again. except this time, she knows her own greatness and has decided to expand this series to more than two books. and i am so excited. its what this story truly deserves.

what makes this installment so great is the world expansion. yes, the writing is just as easy breezy, the characters are still as loveable, but the entire world grew with this and it was really interesting to read about. so many new characters, so many new side plots, so many small intricate
Amber (The Book Bratz)
Jun 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
I’m 5 minutes post THE BEAUTIFUL and all I know is I need this book now
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
Did Renee Ahdieh sell her soul to the devil to get the most beautiful covers ever?
chan ☆
i’m sorry but the audiobook is not it. the voice for one of the kings sounded like the narrator was gargling marbles 🥴
Samantha
Nov 06, 2020 rated it liked it
3.75

I understand fully that this isn’t the best paranormal book I’ve read, and yet I find this series so entertaining and dramatic. This second installment had way more paranormal and fantastical elements than the first one, with very little of the magic actually explained, and I truly don’t care. It’s a fun romp. A little found family of supernatural creatures. It was just the distraction I needed.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Tataaaa! Can you hear booing coming from the die-hard fans of the book? Yes, that’s my cue to announce my unpopular review!

Unfortunately hot, steamy, thrilling supernatural fantasy/ romance hasn’t found at this moment so I’ll try again a few books later!

First book of the series was okay, three starred-Switzerland- I didn’t hate it but I’m not fan of characters and world building reading.

After the cliffhanger I was still curious about how the story will evolve and how insta love story of charm
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell
Me: *disliked the first book*

Me: *sees a giveaway of the 2nd*

My brain: What are you doing

My brain: Stop

My brain: NENIAAA

Me: *click*
Cait (Caitsbooks)
Thank you so much to PenguinTeen for sending me an ARC in exchange for an honest review! All thoughts and opinions are my own. All quotes are taken from the ARC and are subject to change.

Quick Stats:
Overall:
4.5/5 Stars
Characters: 5/5
Setting: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot and Themes: 4/5
Awesomeness Factor: 4/5
Review in a Nutshell: The Damned is a fantastic sequel; expanding on the world and characters, building on the plot, and answering so many of my questions from the first book.

“It is never too late to
Stacee
After that ending of The Beautiful, there was no way I was going to skip this one.

I love love loved Celine in this one. She’s experienced even more and stands stronger than ever. I loved her tenacity and refusal to be placated. Bastian is even more intriguing this time around. I was captivated reading him figure out how he moves forward. And again, I could have done with 5000% more Odette.

Plot wise, it was a bit info-dumpy in the beginning, but I relished finally knowing the backstory of everyth
aphrodite
Aug 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
1.5/5 stars

so weird that the standalone, the beautiful, somehow has a sequel... sounds fake to me

if you would have told me that the sequel to one of my favorite books of 2019 was going to suck this bad (ha), I would not have believed you.

I don’t even know what to say save that this literally felt like a completely different book. all the characters I loved in the first did not have the same charm and allure as they did in the beautiful.

bastien who I LOVED was the most annoying character as he
Angela Staudt
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Penguin Teen for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Let me just start off by saying The Beautiful was one of my favorite books of 2019. Renee Ahdieh brings back vampires, but makes them so much more breathtaking and beautiful. I was blown away with how luscious the writing style was and how dark and mysterious New Orleans was. The Damned blew my mind. I was not expecting this book to go the way it did at all, but I can’t get over how much I loved it.

“Life is not given to any of u
☀︎El In Oz☀︎
4.25/5
A deliciously dark and beautiful sequel! This book blew away my expectations, which I am very glad for! The Beautiful was a dark murder mystery set in 1800’s New Orleans. The Damned took this world and expanded it to new levels. We are introduced to the mystical world werewolves and vampires come from, and get a glimpse of the Fae and dwarfs. We are given history and told why certain species want war, and who wants what. Why their world is split into two. The struggles, lore, and history i
Abbie | nerdyabbie
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A bewitching sequel filled with shocking twists at every turn. Every bit as dark & delicious as the first 🖤

“Sébastien Saint Germain is now cursed and forever changed. The treaty between the Fallen and the Brotherhood has been broken, and war between the immortals seems imminent. The price of loving Celine was costly. But Celine has also paid a high price for loving Bastien.

Still recovering from injuries sustained during a night she can’t quite remember, her dreams are troubled. And she doesn’t k
☆She’s Book Obsessed☆
The Damned
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I loved this book! While listening to jazz and drinking tea, the atmosphere surrounded me completely. This is truly one of my new favorite books!
Unfortunately school caught up to me and I didn’t read for a week, but I just finished this and ahhh amazing!
Umairah | Sereadipity
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Damned was a magical read that expanded upon the first book well, answering many of the questions that I had whilst giving me more. I loved diving back into the glamorous yet monstrous world of The Beautiful and learning more about the characters. However, it wasn't a five star read like the first book was for me because I felt like it tried to cram a bit too much in without adequate explanation.

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4.5/5
Writing: 4/5

Celine was grappling with the trauma of what happened to he
Bethany
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Damned is a very different book than The Beautiful and it took awhile to hit its stride, but ultimately I really enjoyed the direction that it took. Book 1 was a historical murder mystery with vampires appearing quite late in the game, but in book 2, vampires are very present from the prologue on and there isn't much of a mystery element. This book expands a lot on the mythology of the world that Ahdieh has created, we get answers to some unanswered questions from Book 1, the central relatio ...more
Callie (BeverageandBook)
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
This was super enjoyable. I listened to half of it on audio and I think the narration lends something to the story. It didn’t head in the direction I expected, but I loved the expansion of the world and I’m looking forward to whatever’s next.
Helena Paris
Jun 10, 2020 marked it as to-read
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
Kendra Cusworth
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads, arcs

Wow. Wow.

The Beautiful was one of my favourite reads last year. It had captivating characters, breathtaking descriptions of New Orleans, a highly intriguing plot, and vampires.
Renee Ahdieh made vampires cool again in 2019 in the most sophisticated and seductive way. I applaud her for that.

So obviously, I had quite high expectations for its sequel, The Damned.

The Damned is definitely more of Sébastien’s book. It makes perfect sense when you remember how the last book ended. In this b
Nikita Afsar
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I'm way too tired rn to write a proper review so I will do that later. However, I do wanna express my love for Celine and Bastien already. I just love them so much. And this book fed my Castien heart? Or Beline? I like Beline more lol. This book added so much to the world and the characters and everything was just delightful. ...more
rachel ☾
#1) The Beautiful ★★★★☆

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler)
Kathaleen Mallard
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Non-Spoiler Section 📕
This book took a whole other direction then where I thought it would go. I liked how the world was opened up to just passed vampires. In the Beautiful I was waiting to see how things were going to open up. I really liked this book and I thought that this book was a good edition to the first one. There was a lot of new things to see and a lot of new creatures and characters introduced. I'm excited to read the third book. However I will say I was not expecting the ending th
Sara
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

The follow up to The Beautiful ups the paranormal activity and action, but misses the mark by introducing a love triangle element with little romantic tension.

After the events of the first novel, Sebastian Saint Germain has been forever changed and forced into the shadows. Surrounded by his brothers and sisters, a found family of sorts, he must confront his new cursed life and try to forget about the woman who gave up everything so he could live -
Sanja ✵
I think this sequel really improved a lot of aspects! My main critique for The Beautiful was that it lacked most of the mythology. It took a really long time to confirm that we were in fact dealing with vampires, and we didn’t get to know much about them. The Damned made up for that and more. The world got so much bigger and there were so many more supernatural creatures than I expected. We also got more backstory and the characters developed more of a personality.

So this book really addresses
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Admittedly, after reading (and struggling through) the first book in this series, "The Beautiful", I went into this book with some pretty low expectations.

Luckily, some of the things that I most disliked from the first book were resolved in this novel such as how each chapter specified the character perspective that it would be in. That solved a hefty amount of confusion that the first book caused.

Unlike the first book, this novel fully captured my attention and I read all 400 pages in one sitt
Bookphenomena (Micky)

Damn but that was good (see what I did there). THE DAMNED utilised all that world-building from book one and just pressed launch. This read was full to the brim of vampiric content and I came to love these characters so much more in this installment. It was an exciting read from cover to cover with a reasonably fast-pace, peppered with lulls to catch your breath.

Sometimes when a book is really good, I highlight and highlight text but with THE DAMNED, I forgot about highlighting, I was t
aly ☆彡
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was ok
[This may contain spoiler from the first book]

I started reading this knowing I should not get my expectations up high. But once I finished them, I think it was pretty forecasted how the flow was gonna be seeing how Celine had no memory of Bastien. I'm not expecting to see much Bastien and Celine in this book so I was not entirely disappointed.

However, what makes this book to plummet was: i) the sudden change to multi POVs which can be promising if you do it right. But since we were introd
Laura ☾
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it

While I enjoyed this overall, I feel like it suffered a bit from middle-book syndrome, in that it spent most of its time clearly setting up the next book rather than focussing on itself. I definitely look forward to seeing some of the things that were set up in this one be resolved in the next one!

I actually enjoyed that we got to see more characters' POVs in this one, especially learning more about characters like Arjun. What bothered me though was that some POVs were written as firs

• The Shadows
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust #2)
  • Camp
  • The Life and (Medieval) Times of Kit Sweetly
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Again, but Better
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • King of Scars (King of Scars, #1)
  • Goldilocks
  • The Falling in Love Montage
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
  • Defy Me (Shatter Me, #5)
  • The Red Scrolls of Magic (The Eldest Curses #1)
  • Henderbell: The Shadow of Saint Nicholas
  • Chosen (Slayer, #2)
  • Catwoman: Soulstealer
  • The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day
See top shelves…
THE WRATH & THE DAWN and its sequel THE ROSE & THE DAGGER are available wherever books are sold.

FLAME IN THE MIST will be released on 5.16.17.

** Please note that requests for Advanced Reader Copies should be made through Penguin, and all other requests should be submitted through the author's website. **

The Beautiful (4 books)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • The Righteous (The Beautiful #3)
  • The Ruined (The Beautiful, #4)

Articles featuring this book

They’re baaaaaaack! Young adult vampires, that is. Fifteen years after Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight took the world by storm, we’re seeing a...
“What I am has no bearing on who I become.” 14 likes