Start by marking “The Ninth Inning (The Boys of Baseball, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ninth Inning (The Boys of Baseball, #1)

The Ninth Inning

(The Boys of Baseball #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,766 ratings  ·  271 reviews
Cole Anders is in his last season at Fullton State. If he doesn’t get drafted this year, he’ll be forced to hang up his cleats for good. It's not something he’s ready to do.

To prove he’s serious about his final season, he’s given up girls. No more casual hookups, dates or one-night stands. But there's one girl who has always refused to give up on him. One girl who has bee
Published April 10th 2020

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Ninth Inning (The Boys of Baseball, #1)
mel ☽
dnf 56%

the blurb drew me in and this had potential but nahh.

spoilers ahead!!

the paragraph of the H in the very first chapter talking about how he hates girls who have lip fillers should've been my first warning:
"Ladies, we guys loved that you had a mouth in general. We daydreamed about the things we'd like to do it or put in it or having it wrapped around our dicks. But we never daydreamed about you making them bigger. If anything, we wished you'd stop. There was enough fake shit in this
❤️ Nanda ❤️
❤️ Follow me on Instagram for my review's Edits 💋

Sweet and frustrating.
Two words that I could use to describe this book.

It's a second chance / sports Romance, two tropes that I absolutely adore!

Cole is a hot baseball player, at his senior year in college. His only focus is to get draft for the minor league, and keep alive his dreams of becoming pro.

Christina is a social media manager and also senior in the same college.

They meet each other in their freshman year and started some sort of open
lazybookconqueror
3.5 Stars

You know when you find that right book at the right time that just clicks with you? This was the case with The Ninth Inning, it was such a mood.

This is the story of Christina and Cole, who throughout college have been that on and off couple. Actually, Cole was so worried about his baseball career and how dating someone could distract him from his goals that he never even deepened their relationship, leaving their status as casual hookups. And then one day, he decided that even this was
Mickeysreads
Jo - •.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•
Cole and Christina have had an on again/off again thing going on for three years now. Cole is very focused on his baseball career and it’s his last year to have the opportunity to be drafted. He has never really had a committed relationship with any girl, he sees it as a distraction when he needs to be putting all his time and energy on improving his technique.

‘Baseball was all I saw. And I was not unique in that perspective. Baseball was all most ballplayers saw. We all shared the same dream
Jessie
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description

The Boys of Baseball is a new series, a college sport romance and a new to me author. It’s emotional, with the right amount of angst and drama to keep you turning pages.

Cole and Christina had a story, a casual relationship. They became from being lovers to enemies. Christina wanted nothing to do with him, trying to get him out of her heart. She was determined but the feelings are there and the temptation arising when Cole does everything in his power to get her back.

Cole wanted to focus in the
Lu Bielefeld
DNF 46%
==========
So boring. The heroes are immature and I was bored.
Both of them have sex with other people during the 3 years that they hook up from time to time.

Cole had never been my boyfriend. Sure, we had slept together a handful of times, but he’d never once asked me on a real date. And I was done feeling like a fool because of it. How had I allowed this much time to pass, only to find that we were still in the exact same place? It was embarrassing. And I was embarrassed.

I’d been there fo
Weronika -  Little Steamy Reads
„We’ll always be a thing. Look at us. We can’t stay away from each other. We always come back.”

Steam, all the feels and just the right amount of angst! Get ready, because The Ninth Inning is Big League! I’m so incredibly happy that J. Sterling brought baseball back. Sports romances are one of my favorite genres and I adored her Perfect Game series, so it’s no surprise how much I loved this one too. It includes everything I crave in a sports romance and it kept me up all night. I just couldn’
Vanessa (nessreads)
4.5 Stars

Sports romances are some of my favorite genres, and The Ninth Inning was definitely a grand slam, and yeah I went there *wink* It gave me all the things I crave in a sports romance, and especially one of my fave sports, baseball. Cole and Christina’s story hooked me right from the start, I was consumed and I couldn’t read fast enough.

Cole without question stole my heart. He has one goal in life, and that’s to play baseball professionally. He’s convinced that girls are a distraction and
D
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Get ready for a fun and fabulous series. J. Sterling is bringing baseball back and the first book in the series is a home run. I adored Cole Anders and Christina Travers. Great chemistry, awkward moments, lots of fun and of course college drama.
I enjoyed how Sterling wrote these characters-- 21 yr old's who might think they know a thing or two about relationships but have so much to learn. I love that Sterling did not over- romanticize 21 yr old college relationships. She made it fun. She made
Three Chicks
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review by Lisa Kane
4.5 Stars!

I love a baseball romance. But, and this is a big but, after Taking Chances decimated me, I was a little hesitant to read another baseball romance from the same author. But, yep another but, I loved this book.

Cole Anders eats, sleeps and lives for baseball. He's a senior at Fullton State and he knows this is his last chance of his dreams of playing professional baseball. Nothing is going to come between him and his dreams. Especially a girl.

Well, not just any girl.
TheGuideToRomanceNovels
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-2020
3.5/5 Stars 🌟

20200410-203937

▪▪▪ “I could have baseball, and I would still be missing something if I didn’t have you by my side. I need you both in my life. But I need you more” ▪▪▪

I really enjoyed this story like A LOT maybe more than I should've but I'm a mood reader and just before I started this book I was in the mood for an angsty, drama filled, new adult book and that's exactly what I got.

Cole & Christina's story was a second chance sports romance. They had been in an on again/off again relationship w
Annelyse
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“𝘉𝘦𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶’𝘳𝘦 𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘦, 𝘊𝘩𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘢. 𝘠𝘰𝘶’𝘷𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘦. 𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘴 𝘪𝘵.”

TOP FAVORITE READ OF 2020!!! Everything Jenn writes is pure gold and this book is no exception. I’ve waited 6 years for this series to become a thing after that tease of Chance at the end of the perfect game series and let me tell you...Jenn hit it out of the park with this one!! This series will give you old school Perfect Game feels with the drama, angst, humor and an amazing love story thrown in. The Ninth Inning
Tara
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t think you can hear the name J Sterling and not think of baseball (Thank you, Jack Carter). Sterling has revisited her roots with The Ninth Inning, and did it in the best possible way. Cole and Christina’s story was such an honest, pure, angsty, and sweet romance that Sterling hit right out of the park! This book is the just the start of what I already know will be an amazing series, and I can’t wait for the next book!
Anne OK
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
Spring is in the air -- it's time to BRING ON THOSE BOYS OF BASEBALL!

The first book in J. Sterling's new series takes readers back to the baseball diamond with a new star, Cole Anders and Christina Travers, a girl he's treated rather badly and been a total jerk. We begin their story seven months after they last parted and Cole is having second, third and on and on thoughts about why he let her go. This is their senior year in college and they've had an on and off hook-up since freshman year. Of
Courtney
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
4.5 Stars

J Sterling is one of my OG authors that I will always come back to. She started my love for sports romance and when I saw she was going back to baseball, I could not be more excited. And she did not let her readers down!!

The Ninth Inning starts off her newest series, The Boys of Baseball and she smacks this one out of the park (yes, I had to be corny and throw in some baseball analogies). LOL

The Ninth Inning introduces us to the few fellows who these books will be about, but this book
Jeeves Reads Romance
I struggled with this one. A lot. The author is a talented writer and there was so much potential in the story, but I never connected with either of the main characters and the never-ending DRAMA made it difficult to feel the love. And their backstory... yeah, I really misinterpreted that blurb. I went into this expecting more of a friends to lovers vibe, with the girl who has always been in the hero's peripheral vision. Instead, these two have had numerous casual hookups over the course of the ...more
Sunny Shelly Reads
Ugh, I was having a hard time connecting with Cole and Christina from the start. And then the icky conflict comes about and I just lost it.

Seven months ago, Cole and Christina were hooking up. She liked him a lot, but he didn’t want to be in a relationship during his last college baseball season.

He eventually woos her back and she gives him a second chance. But I still just didn’t get all the feels from them. Somewhere along the way, she goes out on one date with Cole’s rival, Logan. And a big
The Book Lover
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best baseball book I've read in a while! Miss Sterling knocked it out of the park with this one!! it was raw, emotional, sexy and heartbreaking all in one story! I can't wait to read the next book!! ...more
Cocktails and Books
❤️❤️❤️ Cole Anders! Full review to come
Rhonda Ziglar
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 GRAND SLAM STARS!! Holy moly....J. Sterling hit this one out of the park. I love baseball and Cole is a hot player with everything going for him. Christina is a pistol, I love how she held her own with Cole. These two are fun to watch through this story and they will become part of your family. If you love sports romance, you definitely need this book in your life.
Lindsey Domokur of Crazy Reader Chicks
This was a refreshing take on college athletes, that's for sure. I could totally feel for both Cole and Christina in this situation. Cole is a baseball player that is intent on getting drafted and doesn't need any distractions. He knows that Christina would be the biggest distraction he could ever encounter. Not only is she his confidant and best friend, she is the only one that truly knows him. Which is why he needed to push her away and focus on his game. Right?
Seven months go by, Christina c
Rosie
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to start by saying this is my opinion on this book and I don’t expect everyone to agree with me. So many people will love this book, it's perfect if you want a college romance full of angst and drama, but I just wasn’t looking for that at the time I read this.

The Ninth Inning is a college baseball second chance romance about star player Cole and Christina, his casual fling who turns to more. It had such good potential but just didn’t go the way I expected, and not in a good way.

Cole Ande
Kari Hansen
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cole is a college student with dreams of becoming a professional baseball player so his sport comes first and everything else comes a distant second. He has had a casual relationship for Christina for the last three years but when he feels his performance declining on the field he decides that having her in his life is a distraction he doesn’t need.

Christina has deep feelings for him otherwise she wouldn’t have stayed on the fringe of life and accept what little time he chose to give her. She ha
Charlotte Witney
Aug 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a second chance romance, that dives straight into the drama. I love how the reader sees Cole's POV because I was engrossed in his actions and thought process, but I found it refreshing how the roles seemed reversed from the general romance conflict. It was nice to see the woman fight for the guy instead of an instant apology from the guy.

It was a super easy and light hearted read and J.Sterling always seems to make baseball interesting, even though I agree with Cory and find it boring (
Samantha (WLABB)
I rolled my eyes, I raged, I swooned, and I celebrated as I listened to this story. Though something predictable happened, there was this heartbreaking underlying reason, and that surprised me. It gave more depth to Cole's character and helped me forgive some of his earlier decisions. The ending was so good. I always love when I can go a bit into the future with a couple, and Sterling gave me a great look at where they go. A solid start to the series.

BLOG | INSTAGRAM |TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN | FRI
Reviews from the Heart
4 STARS

What's better than baseball? Seriously, the baseball trope is at the top of my list when it comes to a sports romance. I am almost positive I have not read anything from this author, but I was shocked by how much this author based the book around the actual sport, most authors don't do that. I was also glad to see that this author didn't base her characters off fantasy. Don't get me wrong, the Hero was an alpha when it came down to it, but he actually fit the profile of a real human.

The
Dayang
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4⭐️

I've always been a fan of J. Sterling.

I'm a baseball fan—SF GIANTS, so reading her books has always been a treat.

It started kind of slow for me. At first I didn't know how I feel about Cole and Christina. They frustrated me a couple of times because it's like they've been doing this dance for a very long time and when they get together they combust but it seems something always happens that gets in their way...

It induced a rollercoaster-ride of emotions just like how The Perfect Game serie
Katie Salt
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star-read
‘Heartache was a kind of pain you couldn't see, but it existed with each breath, reminding you that you were slowly bleeding out, slowly dying.’

This book took me back. It made me remember how much I love J. Sterling’s writing and the world she has created surrounding these Fullton university baseball players. I really loved The Perfect Game Series and this book made me feel as if there hasn’t been years since I read them last.

This story of Cole and Christina is a cute one and I found it to be

• Need for Speed (The Elite, #2)
  • The  Exchange (London Prep, #1)
  • One-Eighty (Westover Prep, #1)
  • All the Truths (Lies & Truths Duet, #2)
  • Beautiful Liar (The Reed Rivers Trilogy, #2)
  • No Prince
  • The Deal (Off-Campus, #1)
  • Reborn Yesterday (Phenomenal Fate, #1)
  • Crowne of Lies
  • Teacher I Want to Date
  • Avoiding Temptation (A Bro Code Standalone)
  • Danger Zone (The Elite, #1)
  • All the Lies (Lies & Truths Duet, #1)
  • Bachelor Society (The Bachelors Club, #1)
  • Enticing Liam (Big Sky Royals, #2)
  • Lock
  • Focused (Ward Sisters, #1)
  • In Fury Lies Mischief (Midnight Mayhem, #2)
J. (jenn) Sterling is a New York Times and USA Today best selling author of multiple contemporary romances. She lives in California with her only son, Blake. If you can't find her sitting behind a computer screen writing new stories, then there's a good chance she's sitting in the bleachers of a baseball stadium watching him play.

Jenn enjoys traveling to new places, meeting her readers and spendi

The Boys of Baseball (3 books)
  • Behind the Plate (The Boys of Baseball #2)
  • Safe at First: A New Adult, Sports Romance (The Boys of Baseball Book 3)

News & Interviews

Jenny Lawson is the funniest person you know. And if you don’t know her, just read one of her books and she becomes the funniest person you...
“next and it’s OUT NOW! Click the link to start reading –” 0 likes