Start by marking “A Journey of the Heart (When Women Were Warriors, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Journey of the Heart (When Women Were Warriors, #2)

A Journey of the Heart

(When Women Were Warriors #2)

A Journey of the Heart Book II] shows the same strong storytelling ability of the first book. The language is still almost musical and wraps its sweet spell around you. Storylines that were just starting to grow in the first book are also very well developed here. Intrigue and conflict are fleshed out and take some surprising twists. All that I had hoped for, reading the f

Published October 1st 2008 by Shield Maiden Press

The Warrior's Path by Catherine M. WilsonA Journey of the Heart by Catherine M. WilsonA Hero's Tale by Catherine M. WilsonThe Dark Wife by Sarah DiemerSword of the Guardian by Merry Shannon
Lesbian Fantasy
290 books — 251 voters
Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggAsh by Malinda Lo
Best Lesbian Fiction
1,696 books — 2,180 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of A Journey of the Heart (When Women Were Warriors, #2)
Marianna
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
invented feminism, made me gay and saved the fantasy genre
Lex Kent
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes it's hard, for me, to write a review about a book I loved so much. It's difficult to put into words what a really good book makes you feel. Not only is this a beautifully written f/f-fantasy book, its a beautifully written book period. It's the kind of book that makes you think of the characters and the story, many days after you have finished reading.
I can not wait to read the final book, and would not hesitate to recommended this series to all.
Bandit
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Second volume in trilogy and again my affection for the book continues to baffle me. Despite strong aspects of fantasy and a sort of peculiar mix of zen and hippie language, none of which I'm a fan of, there is something strangely compelling about Wilson's world of female warriors and despite the peculiarity of language there is a beauty to it. This volume offers up more character backstories and development and although there are various things going on including war, power struggles and inner ...more
Elaine Burnes
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian, romance, fiction
I love this tale. This isn't a series, it's a long book broken up into thirds so you don't get much backstory to keep up and they don't stand alone. I love how this story sucks me in and holds me. I don't want it to end. Love in all its forms: friendship, mother/child, soul mate. Yeah, it's about warriors and there's a lot of treachery and intrigue, some fighting. It's not your swashbuckling sword story, and I like that. I like entering this world and settling by the fire to be told a beautiful ...more
Aimee
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rarely does a sequel hold up to the original. This one surpasses it’s predecessor.
Cheyanne
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian, fantasy
I'm sorry, I just have something in my eye, like a contact or an eyelash or a twig... or a branch....

I really, really enjoyed the first one, because of the sense of warmth and growth that infused it throughout, even as it was low on plot. This one, however, swept me away even more. The scope continues to remain limited; we're not talking about great clashes between two empires or anything, but with the way this book is written, we don't need to be. Even if the scope is small, the sta
Amy
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, this is one of the best love stories I have ever read. Definitely the best WLW love story I have ever read, and the fact that it is set within a fantasy world of women warriors only makes it that much better. Seriously, why haven't you read it already? Go! Right now! Also, some quotes:

"She had held out to me the hope that, by letting something go, I might be able to take hold of something better."

"My heart knew how much others cared for me, but my body needed to be to/>
"She
Jessica Nguyen
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ff-5-stars
I stayed up very late to finish it. Wow, the last 20% part had made up handsomely for the loose plot in the middle. Only at the end that I got what I want-- The only thing that I came for, cared for in the whole series and have waited since the beginning: the real romance of T & M. I have to say that the lovemaking scenes were very well-written, deep and unusually good.
Megan
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and stayed up into the late hours reading it. Wilson does such a good job conveying emotion- both subtle and obvious. The depth of emotion in this text is probably the only reason it took me so long to read. I didn't want to miss a single description or word and carefully read every word and line so as to miss nothing.

As the second book of a trilogy this book did what many 2nd of 3rd books do and leaves much unknown: forcing the reader to speculate and wonder and, o
Flo
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The sequel to The Warrior's Path starts off exactly at the point that TWP ends; the transition is smooth as marble and the two books have melted into one. After digging around a bit on the internet I found some information as to the historical and geographical setting, which really consolidated the plot for me, and in the sequel I found it easier to make a sense of things with a place and a time in mind. That said, the sequel has more of a plot line than the first book did, the various tidbits o ...more
Celine
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wasn't disappointed when I read the second part of this lovely story.I particularly liked the memories told about Merin and Tamnet. One sentence stuck out to me as if it were the perfect measurement for love. "My mother is to Merin what Emaret was to you." Ofcourse I liked the growing relationship between the two female protagonist from love to in love but I suppose that's just the inner romantic in me. Besides that I really liked the plot twists and I have a feeling I will love the third part ...more
Hardee
I was not overly impressed with the first book but thought I would give the second book a try. Basically a waste of my time.

Also, I am not prejudiced or judgmental, I have and will always have many friends of all shapes, sizes and various sexual orientations. But this book is page after page of women "loving" each other and not well-written at that. I won't bother to read the third volume.
Pavlina
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
After reading the first in this trilogy, I was very excited to continue down the path. Unfortunately the author took what was a great story and turned it into a very predictable love story. Ugh. Thanks but no thanks. I am so invested i the STORY though, I really hope the author gets things back on track for the last book of the series.
Jenna
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
The 2nd book in this series, and I loved every page! I'm already starting the 3rd book and I fully encourage anyone who loves a good fantasy series to give this one a try, but of course start with the 1st book.

Got more of a background on Maara in this book, love her character!
Paige
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
I just couldn't stop reading this entire series was amazing. Odds are if you're looking into the second book you've read the first and if you haven't read the first book pick up the entire series today. It's a great world and a great story and it is beautifully written.
Artemis
I am yet again struck by the beautiful prose as the story continued on in book II. Now I must read book III so that I may know that they will all, the characters I've grown to love so much, have a happy ending. If they don't... I don't know what I will do.
Alexis
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This series is totally engrossing...love it!
lauraღ
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqia, high-fantasy
I'm too emotional to write a proper review but this series continues to be perfect and everything I want out of life and fiction.
Naomi
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. fantastic and original storytelling.
Roland Clarke
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
When Tamras continued her journey ‘when women were warriors’, I slipped back easily into her world again as the characters and settings were familiar from Book 1. As was the writing, which continued to weave its spell over me.

The rhythm that Catherine Wilson chooses continued to remind me of an oral storyteller. Once again, the beautiful poetic phrases kept me reading and held my attention throughout.

As events at Merin’s House and on the northern frontier unfold, Tamras f
M
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Some hearts break from grief and some from joy. Some even break from love. But hearts break because they are too small to contain the gifts life gives us. Your task will be to let your heart grow large enough not to break."

So many things happened in this book that is hard to write a review good enough for the story. I'm out of words for how beautiful, fascinating and refreshing this book is. What can I say to make everyone read this series? I just want people to experience the kind of happine
Maëlys
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
✨ 4.25 / 5 ✨

My review for The Warrior’s Path (Book 1)
My review for A Hero's Tale (Book 3)

“If anything is a gift to you, she is.”

This book is definitely my favourite one of the trilogy and it made my queer heart so fucking soft and happy.

Tamras and Maara’s relationship in this book made my heart skip and drop all of my uwus. They’ve learnt to trust each other by now and you can see how much they care for one another, it was delightful. If you don’t kill someone for the love of yo/>
DR
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was ingenious to continue the book with the next chapter (63) in the story. Reading how a young woman of small stature navigated life with those who were more physically capable was eye opening. I enjoyed the dialogue, thought process of Tamras as she experienced the angst of moving through her emotions and how she kept learning from Maara. The main and supporting/minor characters were the topping to a setting of how people groups lived, loved, worshipped, and fought in a time long gone. Stor ...more
Bren
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a romance, set in a dangerous world. The characters are aware of at least some of the danger, but they also have lives beyond the danger, which seems realistic. Some of the characters’ motivations are unclear, but this is clearly deliberate since the lack of clarity about why they do certain things is part of the plot. There are some power dynamics in some of the sex scenes that may disturb some readers.

It might be possible to enjoy this book without reading its predeces
T.J. Dallas
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesfic
Another beautiful story. (view spoiler) These books, and the stories within, are really something special. Thank you so much for writing. I will be sad to read the last book in the trilogy, and I'm almost scared to start r ...more
Jane Chesterman,  stroudle
Outstanding

Book two doesn't disappoint, it charms and enthralls. Keeping the reader wanting more, desiring to turn the page, to find out more.
This is the most excuisite series of books I've read, the writing style of Catherine M Wilson is so suited to this genre of literature. The journey the main characters are on is both a physical and emotional one, and I am finding it a most satisfying journey to read.
A brilliant book, written with passion and care, I highly recommend this.
Natalia Botasso
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is hard for me to write a review on a book I hold very close to my heart. I can’t explain why, but this book brought tears to my eyes the second I read it’s last word at it’s last page. It is so beautifully written, and the way the characters speak it’s almost like poetry or like a song that they sang to my own heart. I can’t wait to read the last book of the series and if anyone asks me, I will never think twice before recommending it.
Alealea
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The trilogy reads itself like one story...
In this one, Tamras keeps growing up, making along the ways, new friends and enemies, mostly one, that we truly despise so the writer made a good job of it.

Fairytale keep poping up in the story the between the everyday of Maara and Tamra's lives, each story sharing its little piece of wisdom.
Nicole Jong
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is the perfect late night read. A Journey To the Heart is just as beautifully written as When Women Were Warriors, though I did like the latter better. This one started out pretty strong but started to drag a bit towards the end, whereas the first one had me hooked from start to finish.
Bookgirrll
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly written

I generally hate middle books in a trilogy, it’s neither a start nor a lo end, but this captivated you and makes you feel you are there...still can’t wait to read the last one!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Breaking Legacies
  • Dragonoak: The Complete History of Kastelir
  • Dragonoak: The Sky Beneath The Sun (Dragonoak, #2)
  • Dragonoak: Gall and Wormwood (Dragonoak, #3)
  • Backwards to Oregon (The Oregon Series, #1)
  • Alone
  • Requiem for Immortals
  • Princess of Dorsa (The Chronicles of Dorsa, #1)
  • The One Who Eats Monsters (Wind and Shadow, #1)
  • The Pyramid Waltz
  • The Red Files
  • Ask Me Again
  • The Fletcher (The Arrow of Artemis, #1)
  • Wild
  • Charon Docks at Daylight
  • Battle Scars
  • Second Nature (Shape-Shifter, #1)
  • Breaking Character

When Women Were Warriors (3 books)
  • The Warrior's Path (When Women Were Warriors, #1)
  • A Hero's Tale (When Women Were Warriors,  #3)
“Merin smiled. "I fought in battle and your mother bore two children. Of the two of us, I think she was the courageous one.” 7 likes
“Your task will be to let your heart grow large enough not to break.” 7 likes