Start by marking “A Kind of Death” as Want to Read:
A Kind of Death

A Kind of Death

A princess who makes dangerous bargains with the afterlife. A man desperate to save his wife, no matter the cost. An uber driver for the undead.

Death, whether real or metaphorical, comes for us all. Yet it is not always the end. And in the depths of grieving can be the promise of hope and redemption.

The tales and poems in this anthology explore the depths of love,
Published October 22nd 2019 by Uncommon Universes Press

To ask other readers questions about A Kind of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Kind of Death

Start your review of A Kind of Death
H.S.J. Williams
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I admit there are still a few stories in here I haven't read (but will), but I wanted to go ahead and give my review for a couple of the stories that really touched my heart.

Eshe: WOW. The world, the imagery, the messages...its not often I compare something to Goldstone Wood, but I definitely felt the same uplifting light from this story. Also, I was really happy to read about a nyad.

Nothing More Than Death: This story also is gorgeously written, with a very real grasp of impending loss and gr
Beka
Oct 19, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
I won’t be rating this yet as I haven’t read the other stories and poems in finished form, but I will be using this space to try to give any possible trigger/content warnings I can for my story in the collection, “Nothing More Than Death.”

Trigger warning: vague, blink-and-you-miss-it reference to taking one’s own life; lots of discussion around living vs dying. A child’s death is referenced.

Content warning: Some kissing.

Also, for everyone but ESPECIALLY those of you who know me personally: you
Nicki Chapelway
I'm going to skip rating this book because with any anthology there were stories that I liked much more than others and so that makes it a little hard to decide on an exact rating.

My favorite story was definitely Young Death.

The other stories I liked to varying degrees. All of the stories were masterfully written, containing whole worlds in their small frames, mythologies, and histories. The characters were moving but I hesitated to get very close to them because more often than not the stories
Skye
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I had a hard time rating this one because the quality of the stories varies and while I enjoyed some. I can’t say the same for others. I did enjoy the variance of all the stories and even if all of them didn’t appeal to me I could see other people enjoying them.

A Kind of Death – 4 stars
I loved this poem. The metaphors and the way it was written is beautiful.

Eshe- 3 stars
This one didn’t click with me, but the descriptions of the seasons were nice.

Ikra’s Stone- 4 stars
This one was super cohesive
Zimri A. Z. Zoran
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
"A Kind of Death" - Sophia Heotzler: Heotzler's awesome imagery makes for a truly magnificent painting in the mind of those who read it. It conjures both images and feelings, twists them into one another, and gives it to you all at once in a brilliant poem.

"Eshe" - Rosalie Valentine: Valentine's expertise in Theme, Lore, and Allegory makes "Eshe" a gorgeous and emotional ride with an extremely relatable character and a supremely satisfying ending with great weight and depth. I can say personally
Savannah Grace
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Okay, first of all—this book may be small, but it is POWERFUL. Every story sings with deeper meaning, and I adored it. Give me a book that makes me think (whilst also meeting the high demands of my short attention span xD) and I’ll love you forever. That’s exactly what A Kind of Death did.

The Poems:
The three poems in this anthology—A Kind of Death, Out of the Sea, and The Mystery—were all lovely and had beautiful imagery, but I’ll admit that The Mystery was my personal favorite. Its simplicity
Betsy
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Touching and poignant. A lovely selection of little stories!
E.D. Martin
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Like all anthologies, some of the stories were better than others. But overall, most were at least good, even if they didn't resonate with me.
H.A. Titus
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Myra Kapoor
May 07, 2020
Sarah White
Nov 29, 2019
CS Taylor
Dec 25, 2019
Janeen Ippolito
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Bethany Jennings
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Heidi
Nov 17, 2019
A.C. Williams
May 03, 2020
Ariel Masters
Dec 15, 2019
Kristina
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
David Justiss
Bryn Shutt
Grace Mullins
Katie  Hanna
Savannah Jezowski
Sep 12, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Rosalie
Sep 12, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
W.R. Gingell
Sep 17, 2019
Michelle
Sep 24, 2019
C.W. Briar
Oct 02, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Tessa
Oct 08, 2019
Abigayle Claire
Oct 12, 2019

• Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • A Storm Grows: A Poetry Anthology
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Scorpio Races
  • Oath of the Outcast (The Dragon Keep Chronicles, #1)
  • A Dream Within a Dream
  • All That We See or Seem
  • Between Homes (The City Between, #5)
  • It's Only Words
  • Anyway, I Reach
  • Say It's the Sea
  • I Wrote You a Poem (I Wrote You Every Poem)
  • Something Softer
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • A Single Light (The Line Between #2)
  • The Superhero Publicist: A Short Story
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
Bethany A. Jennings is a YA fantasy and poetry author of intense, lyrical words that reach the heart and pierce the darkness. In addition to her work as acquisitions editor and author liaison at Uncommon Universes Press, she also runs #WIPjoy, a popular hashtag game for authors. Born in SoCal, Bethany now lives in New England with her husband, four kids, zero pets, and a large and growing collecti ...more