Start by marking “First Herd to Abilene (Memoirs of H.H. Lomax Series #5)” as Want to Read:
First Herd to Abilene (Memoirs of H.H. Lomax Series #5)

First Herd to Abilene (Memoirs of H.H. Lomax Series #5)

HISTORICALLY SOUND AND HILARIOUSLY FUNNY!

H.H. Lomax meets Wild Bill Hickok in Springfield, Missouri, and is responsible for Hickok’s legendary gunfight with Davis Tutt. Fearing Hickok will hold a grudge, Lomax escapes Springfield and agrees to promote Joseph G. McCoy’s dream of building Abilene into a cattle town, ultimately leading the first herd to Abilene from Texas.

A
Published February 13th 2020 by Wolfpack Publishing

To ask other readers questions about First Herd to Abilene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Herd to Abilene

Start your review of First Herd to Abilene (Memoirs of H.H. Lomax Series #5)
Mike
First Herd to Abilene will hook and entertain a reader from cover to cover. Even if you don’t typically read westerns, I promise that H.H. Lomax will engage and endear you.

A really good historical fiction novel ~ such as this one ~ will leave a reader guessing where the truth ends and the fiction begins. And with a character like H.H. Lomax, it’s very hard to guess just how tall his tales are.

Lomax is just such a wonderful character for these stories. I can’t get enough of him. His quirks, and e
Max Knight
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Herd to Abilene is the fifth book in this series featuring the hilarious exploits of H.H. (Henry Harrison) Lomax, one of the most colorful characters to ever grace the pages of a western novel. If you’ve never read any of the previous entries into the outrageous circumstances and succession of adventures that puts H.H. at the confluence of every major event to ever be recorded about the Old West, don’t worry. Author Preston Lewis revisits those earlier escapades in Chapter One, while at th ...more
Belle Whittington
Pop over to my blog to ENTER TO WIN!

Hey, Y’all! How’s quarantine life going? Truth be told (since I’m a hermit) not much is different for me, except I cannot make a dash into the store when I wanna. *Le Sigh* I’m seriously missing the dollar store, at the moment.
Most of y’all know that I’m an author who lurves writing about alien invasions in Small Town, Texas. But I’m also an Instructional Designer with my own boutique firm called Star eLearning. (If y
Donadee's Corner
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone of this genre
Recommended to Donadee's Corner by: Wolfpack Publishing
Preston Lewis – HH Lomax Western – First Herd to Abilene – Reviewed 1/23/20 – Read 1/18-19/20
Indians, flash floods, stampede, onry cowboys, add humor and Wild Bill Hickok on Lomax first trail drive to Abilene.

HH Lomax leaves Arkansas to begin his life, after a run-in with his neighbors that decided that he should have fought in the war, even though he was too young. Arriving in Missouri he meets Wild Bill Hickok and ends up as his unusual friend, this ends up in Hickok being jailed. Not wanting
Ruthie Jones
"Words are like tools...You don't need to own every one as long as you have enough to build what you need."

First Herd to Abilene by Preston Lewis is quite the Wild West journey that will have you both laughing and pondering H.H. Lomax’s ability to always land on his feet. If you are not familiar with Preston’s Lomax stories, you are in for a treat. Lomax drifts around and continually lands in hot water and jumps out again just as quickly. He is a likable enough fellow, but his good luck is almos
Robert C. smith
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Extremely Enjoyable Refreshing Approach to a Western
It's so refreshing to read a western that breaks the traditional stereotypical approach of topics like a town bully holding everyone at bay, or good guy going after bad guys, etc.! Lewis not only takes readers on a different trail but does so in the most clever and humorous manner with a variety of historical facts to create graphic scenes and images!
Rick  Farlee
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious Western Adventure

Preston LEWIS tells us a story of the old west as we would like to remember it... It reminds me of the Mark Twain novels of Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, both classics, and their humorous 19th century adventures. RECOMMENDED.
James Calhoon
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good four star!

An interesting book written by Preston Lewis, a good author is a good read. I enjoyed reading this book and recommend it to you. The authors style is different an gave me some chuckles.
Jeffrey Holt
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long Live H.H.Lomax

I have read the previous four books. They were all fun to read this one was too . But this the first one thAt had me in tears. I hope there will be more books in the Lomax saga.
larry brashear
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

A very interesting and enjoyable tale which is well written and edited. A very good Author of fine Western stories.
Lone Star Literary Life
Featured on Lone Star Book Blog Tours. Lone Star Blogger Team average rating: 4.6 stars. ...more
Eveline Haven
judy jimmerson
May 16, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Spurr Morgan: A Western Double
  • The Salvation of Eli Ussher: A Western Frontier Saga (Ussher Family Book 1)
  • Jack Ballas Classic Western Collection, Volume 1
  • Bordertown Trouble (Snake and the Dog-Man Book 1)
  • The Iron Wolfe
  • Rancho Diablo Western Series Omnibus
  • Ruble Perkins: The Youngest Marshal
  • Wade Rivers: Conversations with Mooney
  • Tabby Hayes
  • Westward The Wilderness (Stonecroft Saga Book 3)
  • The Saga of Colter Farrow Omnibus
  • Alwen's Dream: Book Six of the Evans Family Saga
  • The Blood Hounds
  • Garrett's Duty
  • Flintlock Trail
  • Elliott and Grandpa
  • No Man's Land: A Blood Hounds Novel (The Blood Hounds, #2)
  • East of the Cascades
Preston Lewis is the Spur Award-winning author of more than 30 western, juvenile and historical novels on the Old West as well as numerous articles, short stories and book reviews on the American frontier.

Lewis wrote the well-received "Memoirs of H.H. Lomax," a comic western series published by Wild Horse Press. "Bluster's Last Stand," the fourth book in the series, was published in 2017. Previou

News & Interviews