Start by marking “Cry Wolf: A Tale of Beauty and the Beast (HighTower Fairytales: Beauty and the Beast, #1)” as Want to Read:

Cry Wolf: A Tale of Beauty and the Beast

(HighTower Fairytales: Beauty and the Beast #1)

I looked between the monster and the man, and I knew at once who was the beast.

Isabelle Berger grew up hearing stories of a legendary beast who killed over a hundred people. When a new wolf is spotted near the forest, the men of her village are convinced that another monster is on the rise. Isabelle is less certain, until her father is killed in the hunt.

Alone and hung
Published March 12th 2020 by sjacquebooks

To ask other readers questions about Cry Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cry Wolf

Start your review of Cry Wolf: A Tale of Beauty and the Beast (HighTower Fairytales: Beauty and the Beast, #1)
Barb
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tale
An interesting twist on Beauty and the Beast that incorporates the French Revolution, misogyny, and the brutality of man. Isabelle is the daughter of a sheep farmer outside a small French village who has long been considered the “possession” of the local swain Jean. Although Belle appreciates Jean’s protection against the village bullies, she has no intention of becoming just another trophy for a young man who cultivates his image of a mighty hunter among the local barflies.

When Jean returns fro
Annette
Beauty and the Beast has never been my favorite story, but after reading one dialogue from this book I was intrigued and wanted to read more. So, when I saw the chance to get an ARC I couldn't let it slip through my fingers. I wanted to read this story and if I could read an ARC, even better! I was therefore incredibly happy when I received the ARC. And even happier now after reading it.

Stevens really wrote a wonderful version of this very well know fairytale. Not only did she manage to attach t
Adena Lee
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beauty and the Beast is one of the fairy tales that I do not get tired of reading or watching. There is something about finding the man inside the beast that speaks to me. There have been a lot of renditions of Beauty and the Beast, with the Beast portrayed in many ways, usually as a not-handsome man with really bad manners and a well-hidden heart of gold. This one manages to incorporate the Disney movie version of Beauty and the Beast with the Jungle Book and all the blood thirstiness of the Fr ...more
Coco.V
Nov 04, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (11/4/2020)! 🎁
Ruth Ann Lingwall
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love fairytales. This one was darker and more sensual than I prefer. It is a clean romance despite several indelicate observations.

Cry Wolf is quite similar to Disney’s animated version of Beauty and the Beast with much of the main characters and some of the plot. Isabelle lives with her old father and loves books. Jean is a scarier version of Gaston. He’s not only narcissistic, he feels ‘off’ like there is something not honest about the front he puts up. He changed a lot after returning from
Joe
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reading Method: Kindle eBook (ARC)
Reading Time: 1 Hour and 10 Minutes

ARC provided by Hidden Gems ARC Program in exchange for an honest review.

I had a fantastic time with this short little read! For full disclosure I've never read the original Beauty and the Beast fairytale and I hardly know the Disney version at all either so this overall story was very fresh to me.

I thought Jacque Stevens did a fantastic job with all of the major characters in the story. I fell in love with Izzy almost immediat
Laura (laurasbookhaven)
I was so grateful to be luck enough to be picked to receive a free copy of this book to read especially as I love fairytales and Beauty and the Beast is one of my favourites. The author has stuck to the structure of the original story pretty faithfully while sprinkling in elements of the French Revolution in the background, I enjoyed this added touch. I also feel that incorporating wolves into this fairytale works well. The book is fast paced, however I think that some particularly important cha ...more
Tamara
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Who is really the monster? Someone she knows or the boy she just met?

I enjoyed this spin on beauty and the beast. Isabelle is a shepredess, happy with the life she has with her father. Jean is the son of the inn keeper and has a huge family, so he always tries to be the center of attention. Jean has just returned from the revolution and tells a story of seeing a russet colored wolf and wants to start a hunting party just because of one ruined snare trap. Jean also assumes the Isabelle is going t
Becky
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ok, so it starts off so similar to the familiar telling of the book, that I was a bit put off. It skews in a new and fun direction though a little way in, so wait a few chapters before you decide. This was a fun take on an old story. It is set in the period, not a modern retelling. The characters were well thought out and "real", and the plot was well written. I am definitely buying the next book in the series. If you are in the mood for a short, fun, fantasy book, I think you'd like this book. ...more
Jay
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun new take on a classic story. I've always loved Beauty and the Beast, but found it difficult that someone could fall romantically in love with someone in an animal form. This take seems much more realistic from that standpoint. Also, the interactions between Howl and Belle were just so sweet it was hard not to love them. When Belle was able to hear another wolf speak, so the story could be further explained, it was a little out of left field though. I wish this had been led up to a ...more
Sara
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listened
Cry Wolf is a wonderfully written YA fantasy romance, a new and refreshing take on a classic, the Beauty and the Beast. Jacque Stevens is an excellent storyteller and has done a fantastic job with the world-building and the characters. The storyline is engaging, well-paced, sweet, with some twists, I definitely enjoyed it.

Caroline Turner Cole and John Pirhalla portrayed the narrative and the characters very nicely, further immersing me into the story. Overall, Cry Wolf was a delightful listen, o
MoonGarden
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beauty and a Werewolf Beast

I really enjoyed this Beauty and the Beast variation. Set during the French Revolution a boy who can change from wolf to human, living with a wolf pack deep in the woods, gives rise to rumors and fear among the residents of a nearby village.

This is an often told story, and even though other werewolf Beauty and the Beast stories have been written, this one is still unique and engaging.

I look forward to reading the rest of the series!
Victoria Bell
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Margarita ~ The Adventurous Bibliophile
** GoodReads Giveaway Winner **

I absolute loved this retelling of Beauty and the Beast!

Jacque Stevens did a great job of adding her own spins and twists to the basic bones of the Beauty and the Beast story line.
Wonderful balance of the old and new.

Looking forward to book two; Wolf in Sheep's Clothing.
Dayzee
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A unique retelling like no other! 🐺

It took several minutes to adjust to the time and tone to the story , i think this takes place in ( 1790s maybe ?) and as the story progressed i loved it even more! Im glad i didn’t give up : so worth it! Forget what you think you might know for this will surprise you in the best way! 🐺💙
Jeanne Richardson
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the 1st book I've read written by Jacque Stevens; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

I loved the characters.

Ashleigh
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I gotta say, this book was everything and nothing like I expected. I could not put it down once I started it and did not want it to end when I got there!

An utterly engaging story-line that grabs you right from the start, keeping you engrossed throughout.

This review has been voluntarily submitted for your consideration.
Cair-Paravel De Loulay
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the fairy tales and how they have so many facets. This one, is yet again, wonderfully different and I enjoyed it immensely! It was clear cut, well written and just plain fun to read. I will read it again.

I received a free copy from Hidden Gems in return for an honest review.
Marie Reed
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this version of Beauty and the Beast. It reminded me a bit of the twist Once Upon a Time did to the Little Red Riding Hood story. My only complaint it that it was much too short. On to the next book!
Kerry
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I started reading it, I thought it was going to be kind of hammy and cliche. I was proved wrong. This book was actually quite good! The characters were well written and the story line kept you hooked. I didn't expect the twist but I enjoyed it!
Layla
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved the twist on Beauty and the beast. In my opinion it is one of the better retelling. The author really thought about the characters and the plot. It is more of a darker version than disney but I don't mind this. It made it more realistic.
I would highly recommend it.
Mandie
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful take on a classic fairytale. I have always loved Beauty and the Beast. This dark version kept me entertained and enlightened. The author did an amazing job.
Connie
Jul 09, 2020 added it
Tale a beauty and a beast

Tale told over again and again I never tire of hearing it...slight twist adds to excitement....enjoyed...easy read....way with words to paint a picture
Teya Teya
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was unexpectedly interesting. I like the realistic twist of this fantasy retelling of beauty and the beast. It's a little darker but I really enjoyed it.
Dawn Milligan
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great reimagining of beauty and the beast!😍 I devoured it and glad to see there are more books to come it's a wonderful story!
Glenna Yost
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story

One of the best stories I have had the pleasure in reading. Great story line, plot twist and just well done all around. I look forward to reading the sequel and more!
Debbie Ballard
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading the captivating paranormal romance story. When Isabelle's friend, Jean, tells her about her father being killed by a wolf, Isabelle, the Beauty, wants to protect her sheep and goes after a wolf, gets injured, and is taken care of by a man, Howl, the Beast, who takes care of his wolves. Read the highly recommended, wonderfully written, and an engaging must read beauty and the beast love story.
I reviewed a copy of the book won through Goodreads.
Allegra Pescatore
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect when picking up Cry Wolf, but was pleasantly surprised. It's a story we're all familiar with, but with enough new twists to make it interesting. I enjoyed all three of the lead characters of Isabelle, Howl, and Jean, each of them having enough backstory to be interesting, and none two-dimensional.

Jean, in particular, was a pleasant surprise, as usually the Gaston stand-in is fairly dull. He was not, and I found myself liking him as a character, even when I didn't as
Ranee
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Once again pleasantly surprised by the author. With an emphasis on people paying attention to Isabelle’s curves at the beginning, I wasn’t sure where the story was going but the tale developed well, with ingenious comparisons to the French Revolution and a mystery throughout. With the current scare of the "Corona Virus", I saw parallels to the village's paranoia of wolf attacks, except the villagers were moving closer together instead of quarantining themselves. Excited for the next book!
Megan
Jul 17, 2020 added it
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky enough to win a copy of this here on good reads for an honest review. I love werewolf/wolf type stories so this story intrigued me and the added bonus of a fairy tale wrapped up into one book. Score!!!!

This was a beautiful and unique take on a classic fairy tale it seemed much more modern with some historical facts wrapped into it. It was a very well written and fast-paced story and had some very lovable characters, and some you really wanted to slap at times, but hey that makes thin

• The Anzu's Egg — Part 1 (The Anzu's Egg, #1)
  • High Fae Academy: Year Three (High Fae Academy, #3)
  • Bad Liar (The Reed Rivers Trilogy, #1)
  • Beautiful Liar (The Reed Rivers Trilogy, #2)
  • Control Freak
  • Initiated (Daywalker Academy #4)
  • Sweet Temptation
  • Real Friends (Real Friends, #1)
  • Fire Cursed
  • One Night With A Vampire
  • Attack of the Demon Dinner Ladies (Baby Aliens, #4)
  • A Name Unknown (Shadows Over England, #1)
  • Single Dad Matchmate (Special Bear Protectors, #2)
  • Alpha's Second Chance (Special Bear Protectors, #1)
  • Mated To The Pack (Reverse Harem Shifters, #1)
  • Any Job In A Haze (An Urban Magic story)
  • The Faerie Girl and Other Tales
  • Wherever You Are (Bad Reputation Duet, #2)
Jacque Stevens wrote her first novel as a stress relief activity during nursing school. Now as a fulltime nurse working in mental and developmental health, she continues to write stories filled with elves, fairies, and all things awesome.

She lives in Utah so yes, she does have a huge extended family and occasionally eats green jello, but she does not yet own a minivan.

New friends, enemies, and ot

HighTower Fairytales: Beauty and the Beast (4 books)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: A Tale of Beauty and the Beast (HighTower Fairytales: Beauty and the Beast #2)
  • Between Dog and Wolf: A Tale of Beauty and the Beast (HighTower Fairytales: Beauty and the Beast #3)
  • Wolves at Bay: A Tale of Beauty and the Beast (HighTower Fairytales: Beauty and the Beast #4)

News & Interviews