Start by marking “Moon of Three Rings (Moon Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Moon of Three Rings (Moon Magic, #1)

Moon of Three Rings

(Moon Magic #1)

Librarian note: H-33 60¢ on the front cover. The spine has 020-08033-060 which at some point a book seller translated into 0-441-08033-2 when they added this book to Amazon and other sites. The 1967 date of publication is from Tuck.

At the time of the Moon of Three Rings, the galactic trade ship Lydis lands on the planet Yiktor. On Yiktor, Krip Vorlund, a junior crew member
Mass Market Paperback, Ace H-33, 304 pages
Published 1987 by Ace Books (first published August 29th 1966)

Sally Boyington
This has remained in my list of favorite books for over 35 years. Every time I wear out a copy, I have to purchase a new one. Classic sci fi morality tale, with space travel, animals, paranormal elements, and a romance of sorts. What's not to love?
Pam Baddeley
This tale set on an alien planet could almost be a fantasy given the setting of a feudal society in which warlords scheme against each other and an outsider race who were once dominant but have become roamers, preferring to live in symbiosis with animals. It starts with the male protagonist, Krip Vorlund, who goes to a 'beast show' while ashore: from a Free Trader ship, he and his comrades are meant to look out for trade goods that might sell well offworld. They have come at a time when a fair i ...more
Beverly
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cinnamingirl
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've read this book at least twice before, but never finished the whole series and was left with a strange feeling of unfinished-ness. So this time I'm going to go through the whole thing, and maybe that feeling will go away.

Okay, I finished it and I enjoyed it, and reading it again made the storyline much more clear - perhaps I just wasn't processing everything before, or I'd forgotten it and that's why it felt fuzzy. Now going to try the rest of the series and see where it goes.
P.D.R. Lindsay
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Where would SF and Fantasy writing have been without Andre Norton? She made many readers enjoy SF/Fantasy. She wrote about strong female characters way back before the 'Female Eunuch' and gave female readers a taste for SF/Fantasy. For years she was the only serious writer of this type of story and was she ever a story teller.

The novels about Krip and Maleen are among my favourites.

Melanie
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had first picked up "Moon of 3 Rings" when I was in middle school. I had the hard back edition checked out from the local library. At that point, the writing style of Andre Norton was not something I was familiar with, and I admit I struggled through it.
But it stuck with me. And years later I came across the book again at a library in another town. My library had since withdrawn the copy I had read, so I looked for it online.
It had been so long that I could only a little of the outline of sy
G33z3r
Andre Norton mixes science fiction and fantasy in her Moonsinger stories. The Free Trader spaceship Lydis makes planetfall on Yiktor, and crewman Krip meets a Moonsinger named Maelen, who has some magical sway over various species of small furry animals. This unexpectedly embroiled him and then her in a complex local conflict and several life-and-death adventures.

As old-school sci-fi adventure, this is a pretty good example. A pure adventure read, with fairly good world building as a local popul
Ross Lampert
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
It's been so long since I read this that I don't remember anything about it except this: this was the book that got me interested in science fiction and fantasy. That by itself is enough.
Farseer
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Krip Vorlund, a junior crew member of a trading space ship, gets into some trouble in a technologically backward planet. Some local nobles want to get galactic technology, which is extremely illegal, and they kidnap Krip. At some point, with the help of Maelen, a woman from a nomadic people with ancient mystical powers, he escapes, but he has to swap his body with that of an animal's. Then his quest to get his body back gets complicated.

Old school YA science fiction, in the style of Heinlein's j
Ben Perley
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is a story in which the story is secondary. All the seemingly major plot points - the uprising, the sacking of Yim-Sin, the desecration of the Valley - occur outside the protagonist’s sight. Instead, the book focuses almost entirely upon the strangeness of the alien life inhabiting the planet. Yet even here, explanations are frustratingly dim and cracked, and characters are left underdeveloped in favor of mystical musings that reveal nothing to push the story forward.

Intriguing setup and d
Skylar Raine
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an enchanting book. I read it as a young girl and loved it. I just read it again, many years later, and it was just as wonderful. I didnt want the book to end. But there's a sequel (Exiles of the Stars) Be sure to read it too!
Sarah Rigg
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read and enjoyed a ton of Andre Norton as a preteen/early teen.
Valerie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, I just need to read some good, old sci-fi, and Andre Norton has always been one of the best writers from the golden age of sci-fi.
Stephen Brooke
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I have long been a fan of the late Andre Norton’s fantasy and science fiction novels — they were a presence in my earlier days, one of the authors to whom I was drawn as a teen, as well as later on. But I could recognize that she was bigger on concept that on writing technique at times. That is something of a common failing among writers of speculative fiction.

In ‘Moon of Three Rings,’ one of her science fiction novels from the Sixties — which I assume was intended for a young adult audience — I
周婉蓮 차우 크리스티나 Cass
(As posted on my blog, see "Book Blog" dated July 8, 2011)

Moon of 3 Rings is classic Andre Norton. I enjoy Norton's writing and this novel doesn't disappoint in that aspect. (I'm starting to think that newer authors don't know how to do classic story-telling. It's a pity, some things should never die out. Nothing wrong with new ways of telling stories, mind you, but new doesn't equate to better, just different.) I decided to read Moon of 3 Rings because Brother to Shadows was recommended to me,
Judy
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was one of the first science fiction novels I can ever remember reading. I checked it out from the Amory Public Library in 8th or 9th grade, and it rocked my world. So alien. So exciting. So... mind-blowing.

It's still a good book, and hasn't aged badly at all. And I found I could read it with fond memories of that young girl who fell in love with Andre Norton on the spot and voraciously read everything she could find by that author.

I also still remember how astonished I was when I finally
Valerie
This is one of Norton's first attempts at alternate viewpoints. Some chapters are told from the point of view of Krip Vorlund, and some from the point of view of Maelen. This was the first of four books in this (untitled) series.

It's interesting, btw, that the Thassa morally object to a mind transfer without informed consent, but that they don't seem to have much concern about a mass act of violent revenge.

Further, the stated motives of the villains are inadequate. Why would they take such extre
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I first read this in High School. I can't remember how many times I checked it out from the library. I thought it a most magical and wondrous story. A great blend of sci-fi and fantasy. I went on a quest of my own and found the exact library copy from the great evil Amazon. I read the book again a few years ago. I still love it and think its a most magical and wondrous story. You will never change my mind.
And through the joys of the interwebs I discovered 3 more books to follow!
Heather
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Alexandra
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I grew up in a home where devouring books voraciously was normal, but science fiction and fantasy were considered suitable only for children.

This novel was my first introduction to science fiction as a world of ideas, where philosophic issues could be considered amidst the context of a spell-binding adventure. It has occupied a special place in my heart ever since.
Aaron
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I found the first person prose style of Norton’s to be without urgency and a little lifeless. The female protagonist was interesting, but the story told from the male protagonist’s point of view was totally boresville. Dropped it after about 90 pages. It sounds like the story improves after that, but I couldn’t connect to the writing style.
Jim Razinha
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Another Year of Nostalgic Re-reads entry... I don't know how many times I borrowed this from our tiny town library as a pre-teen. Forty plus years later, it hasn't aged well - or I aged differently. I give Ms. Norton an extra star for this one because her writings helped develop my love of science fiction at a young age.
Rowan
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I first read it when I was about 10 and I have read it numerous times since. The book captured me just as MoonSingers captured the spirits and shifted them to share the lives of various animals who offered themselves as companions. It fit my feeling of deep connection to animals when I was a child and it still does now. And... it is a great story.
Melinda
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another reviewer commented that Andre Norton's books don't have sex or sexuality in them much at all. It occurred to me that one reason I was so drawn to her books when I was ages 12-14 was because they did not have sex or sexuality much at all. Those things made me uncomfortable to read, and still do when they're excessive. Andre Norton's books are "safe", so to speak.
momokaachan
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, sci-fi, fantasy
I first read this in about 1968. I borrowed it from the library and devoured it. After all, it was Andre Norton!

I added a star when I read it this time, as I read it now as an adult and I now know it is part of a series and I get to find out what happens next!
Becky
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was alright. Good idea but I felt like most of the battle scenes or anytime the main character saw something new to him, the author could have discussed it a bit more or been a bit more descriptive.
Kaimonster
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting world building and shifting view points. I appreciate how Norton can write really florid prose without seeming overdone.
Linda
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book 4+ times and I see something new each and every time! I heartily recommend this book. It is a light fantasy which is appropriate for all ages.
Peter  Demers
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bunk. Its just animorphs with a witch.
Melissa
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
One of my absolute favorites of science fiction. Back when I was young there weren't many sci/fi books with females who were main characters. And kicked ass.
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. science fiction hero turns into dog [s] 4 86 Nov 02, 2016 04:00PM

• Survey Ship
  • Ingathering: The Complete People Stories
  • Star Healer (Sector General, #6)
  • Teot's War (The Song of Naga Teot, #1)
  • The Kindly Ones
  • Moon-Flash (Kyreol, #1)
  • Dinosaur Beach
  • Sunfall
  • The Zanzibar Cat
  • Hellspark
  • Empire
  • Principles of Angels
  • Sorcerer's Legacy
  • Telzey Amberdon
  • Starpilot's Grave (Mageworlds, #2)
  • M'Lady Witch (Warlock's Heirs, #1)
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. She also used the names Andrew North and Allen ...more

Moon Magic (5 books)
  • Exiles of the Stars (Moon Magic, #2)
  • Flight in Yiktor (Moon Magic, #3)
  • Dare to Go A-Hunting (Moon Magic, #4)
  • Brother to Shadows (Moon Magic #5)