Start by marking “Ghost Wood Song” as Want to Read:
Ghost Wood Song

Ghost Wood Song

Sawkill Girls meets Beautiful Creatures in this lush and eerie debut, where the boundary between reality and nightmares is as thin as the veil between the living and the dead.

If I could have a fiddle made of Daddy’s bones, I’d play it. I’d learn all the secrets he kept.

Shady Grove inherited her father’s ability to call ghosts from the grave with his fiddle, but she also k
Published July 14th 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Wood Song, please sign up.
Erica Yes! Both Ghost Wood Song and my next book, The River Has Teeth, are standalones.
Erica The main character is bisexual. There are also two lesbian characters.

Start your review of Ghost Wood Song
Ari
BLOG | Instagram | Twitter | Amazon | Waterstones

Thank you Edelweiss and HarperTeen for this ARC. All thoughts and opinions are mine.

This is what evil is--not some unnatural force,
not demons or devils. It's this rigth here--
a man clinging so hard to hate it's worth dying for.
Worth risking the lives of his wife and his child.
Worth seeing a bullet fly into his brother's brain.
Worth everything.

I came across Ghost Wood Song and I was soon lost. I am absolutely and easily smitten by a pretty co
Candace Robinson
This one had a lot of atmosphere with real grit! The dialogue was wonderful and I seriously loved the adorable romance sprinkled in! It makes me want to go buy some cowboy boots right now! Oh and also have my own ghosty violin!
Nenia ⭐️ Queen of Awkward ⭐️ Campbell
I don't know about you but this book reminds me of THE BONE HOUSES, and I loved THE BONE HOUSES. Anything that gives me creepy, ghosty, Tim Burtony vibes is a YES I WANT for me
Jenny Baker
Jul 19, 2020 rated it liked it

Ghost Wood Song is an entertaining magical realism novel that’s an easy read, ideal for a lazy Sunday afternoon. It's not scary ghost story, in case you're wondering. I highly recommend the audiobook.
Erin A. Craig
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Waters' debut is a true Southern Gothic, striking the perfect balance of atmospheric chills, dark familial secrets, and a yearning for the warm comforts of home. I could hear the cicadas' call and feel the smothering humidity, even as I shivered!
rachel ☾

◯ Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagramThe Book Depository
Hannah Whitten
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this creepy, atmospheric, lyrical book. The characters jump off the page and the resolution is SO satisfying.
Madison Mary
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
"I wait with the trees and the ghosts, trembling in the warm spring air, my body tuned to a frequency that only sounds like white noise, empty static to my mind. No matter how hard I listen, the silence never resolves into melody"

*ARC provided on Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

An eerie debut about a girl desperate to save her brother and a fiddle that raises ghosts.

SUMMARY
Shady Grove grew up in a house full of ghosts, and when her father played his fiddle he could call forth t
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Well I'm 100% buying that cover
Asmä
Aug 22, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5*

The story was good , i just didn't care much about the characters , or the writing itself .
Ash Otterloo
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ghost Wood Song manages to capture aching truths about bisexuality and growing up in a difficult family, and marries them to a sumptuous atmosphere, ghost-lore, and well-earned twists...the result is intoxicating and fabulously creepy. The author's characters are deep and complex in a way that never detracts from the pace, and I'll definitely be reaching for it to re-read in the future. All the stars.
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

I usually begin new (especially debut) novels with high expectations, and then I’m almost inevitably disappointed (see The Nameless Queen, as one example among many). This time was sort of the opposite. I requested the ARC from Edelweiss on impulse, with no real belief it would be very good since the blurb is so vague, and it turned out to be AMAZING.

Seventeen-year-old Shady Grove Crawford lives in a trailer in Florida with her mo
Liz Lawson
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, atmospheric, with a complex mystery driving its central plot, GHOST WOOD SONG is a must read in 2020. An absolutely fantastic debut!
Katie.dorny
Aug 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, lgbtq
An enjoyable and adequate ya gothic contemporary that had its ups and downs and couldn’t really settle on what it wanted to be.

Shady grove is still reeling from her father’s death years ago when another blow befalls the family. The only thing that can save her family? Her dad’s missing magic violin that can call ghosts.

This novel had more romance and very very typical ya love triangle that I wanted or expected, and which I ultimately didn’t really enjoy as its not my thing.

The characters howe
Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫
Ghost Wood Song is an example of magical realism at its finest! What I loved about this story was the bond of music that the central characters shared, and how they take their art out into nature and then the stage and just play together.

The main character, Shady, is a fiddle player and she lost her father four years ago in a car accident. Now his fiddle, which has the magic to summon ghosts, is needed to clear her brother's name of a murder, and put the family's secrets to rest once and for al
Sage Knightly
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Huge thanks to the publisher via Edelweiss+
for the eARC! This in no way affects my review

Ghost Wood Song is a story about love and loss, the stages of grief, music and ghosts, secrets, and family. It is a sibling bond so strong that old secrets are dug up and put to rest in order to save each other. It is a father and daughter relationship so pure that regardless of any misdeeds or secrets, they still care for and support each other. It is a boy wrongly accused of murder and a girl who wou
Celia McMahon
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Edelweiss and the publisher for the chance to review this title.

GHOST WOOD SONG is the hauntingly gay murder mystery with a fiddle that calls ghosts from the afterworld that you want to read. Like now.

I requested GHOST WOOD SONG purely on the cover. It offered an atmospheric jaunt through one girl's life of love and loss. Shady lives in a trailer in Florida with her mom, older brother, step-sister, and step-dad. Life for Shady hasn't been easy since the tragic death of her father and t
Karissa
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Series Info/Source: This is a stand alone book that I got through NetGalley to review.

Story (4/5): When Shady’s brother is accused of killing her stepfather, Shady is determined to prove her brother’s innocence. To do this she decides to track down her father’s missing fiddle and see if she can call her stepfather’s ghost to her. This was an engaging story with a well done murder mystery as the main driver. Shady’s ability to use her father’s cursed fiddle to call ghosts to her adds a supernatur
Lizz DiCesare
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
“I’ve lived with ghosts my whole life, but this is the first time I’ve ever felt haunted.”

Every time I read a creepy book set in the woods, I think to myself, “this is it, this is the last time I read a book set in the woods!” And yet, as soon as I see another story with an eerie forest setting, I toss everything aside and run straight for it. That’s exactly what happened with Ghost Wood Song by Erica Waters, and while my sleep schedule might regret it, the rest of me does not.

Ghost Wood Song fo
USOM
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

If I could sum up what I enjoyed in Ghost Wood Song in two elements it's got to be the spookiness and all the queerness. We love a bisexual MC with a love triangle that was crafted well. Shady begins the book griefstricken and wondering if she could change the chaos around her and get answers. But we all know sometimes answers don't bring the closure we're looking for and only more qu
Inkslinger
Ghost Wood Song by Erica Waters

ARC provided by Harper Collins/HarperTeen and Erica Waters via Edelweiss+. All opinions are mine and freely given.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | BookBub

"I'd never say it out loud, and even admitting it to myself gives me chills, but if I could have a fiddle made of my daddy's bones, I'd take it. I'd take it and play it and learn all the secrets he kept, all the sorrows he bore inside his breast."

07-21: 'Ghost Wood Song' by Erica Waters is a story that unfolds in one of those
Diana Pinguicha
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, musical story about the power of love and grief.
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Brian
Cover Story: Flowers On the Wall
Drinking Buddy: White Lightning
MPAA Rating: PG-13: Strong Language, Drug and Alcohol Use, Violence
Talky Talk: The Night the Lights Went Out in Florida
Bonus Factors: Bluegrass, Necromancy
Bromance Status: Gentle On my Mind

Read the full book report here.
Gayatri Saikia   | per_fictionist
First of all “cue the music” for that unquestionably gorgeous and aesthetically creepy cover, please. I don’t think I’ve ever fallen so hard for a cover as much as I did for “GHOST WOOD SONG” and I almost immediately went on Goodreads to look for it’s synopsis and I think deep in my heart I knew that it’d be the kind of book I usually go for. AND TO MY ABSOLUTE SURPRISE IT WAS. < BEAUTIFUL CREATURES MEET WILDER GIRLS> UHMM YES PLEASE, shove it to my face any day!
I must unequivocally admit that
Riya Queen
Jul 16, 2020 rated it liked it
2.6🌟

When I was going into this book, I certainly wasn't expecting what I was given. Ghost Wood song is marketed as this creepy, atmospheric book, where this girl, Shady Grove can bring back people's ghosts with a tune from her fiddle, and that's the least we got from the plot.

It was more of family drama, secrets kept buried and less of the creepiness and the atmospheric vibes I was expecting. Don't get me wrong- there were a lot of dark and important issues this book dealt with; grief, anger an
Staci Vought
Aug 10, 2020 rated it liked it
3.75 stars. It took me a while to invest in this story, but it did grow on me. The family drama was intriguing and it was compelling to see how it all played out. I wasn’t a huge fan of the ghost/fiddle aspect...it lacked substance & was hard for me to buy into, although it did add a powerful element to some parts of the story. I don’t think it would have mass appeal, but I am glad I read it. ...more
Maya White
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: august-2020
This book...how to describe it? It was interesting. A good interesting, a weird interesting, but a good interesting.

(view spoiler)
Caidyn (he/him/his)
I received an ARC through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review!

CW: death, murder, physical assaults, mention of past rape attempt, car crash, intimate partner violence and child abuse, and general scenes of violence

3.5/5

This was an intense read. It sucks you in with a feeling of foreboding and it reminded me, in some ways, of The Bone Houses. That was one of my favorite books from last year and I love the new waves of horror that are coming to us. It's fantastic.

Overall, I thought this boo
Michelle
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Ghosts, and fiddles, and Southern Gothic themes? Oh heck yes! I devoured this book and was left blown away by the unique and beautifully written story.

Ghost Wood Song follows Shady Grove as she struggles through unhappy home situations and ventures through the pull to play music her father once did, all the while still trying to heal from her father's death. I really enjoyed how the author handled the portra
Divya Agrawal
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: completed
I just LOVE this book!

The book is about Shady and how she is in search of her father's fiddle to call ghosts and prove her brother innocent who was charged with murder of their stepfather.

At first the book was going through really slow and steady pace which I liked but then I started to loose patience. I'm glad I didn't stop reading though.

The book is eerily mysterious, filled with spooky musicals. I felt as I was actually listening whenever that fiddle was being played. The concept and setting
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Seasons of the Storm (Seasons of the Storm, #1)
  • Splinters of Scarlet
  • Star Daughter
  • The Dark Tide
  • Burn Our Bodies Down
  • Sisters of Sword and Song
  • Ever Cursed
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
  • A Wicked Magic
  • The Year of the Witching
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • Cinderella Is Dead
  • The Only Woman in the Room
  • Faith: Taking Flight (Faith Herbert Origin Story, #1)
  • The Circus Rose
  • Mayhem
  • I Kissed Alice
Erica Waters writes YA contemporary fantasy with a Southern Gothic feel. She's originally from the pine woods of rural Florida but has made her home in Nashville, TN, where she's learned to love bluegrass and has even starting learning banjo. Her best friends are two scruffy little rescue dogs named Nutmeg and Luna. GHOST WOOD SONG is her debut novel.

News & Interviews