Start by marking “Ghost Wood Song” as Want to Read:

Ghost Wood Song

Sawkill Girls meets Beautiful Creatures in this lush and eerie debut, where the boundary between reality and nightmares is as thin as the veil between the living and the dead.

If I could have a fiddle made of Daddy’s bones, I’d play it. I’d learn all the secrets he kept.

Shady Grove inherited her father’s ability to call ghosts from the grave with his fiddle, but she also k
Published July 14th 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Wood Song, please sign up.
Erica The main character is bisexual. There are also two lesbian characters.

Start your review of Ghost Wood Song
Ari
BLOG | Instagram | Twitter | Amazon | Waterstones

Thank you Edelweiss and HarperTeen for this ARC. All thoughts and opinions are mine.

This is what evil is--not some unnatural force,
not demons or devils. It's this rigth here--
a man clinging so hard to hate it's worth dying for.
Worth risking the lives of his wife and his child.
Worth seeing a bullet fly into his brother's brain.
Worth everything.

I came across Ghost Wood Song and I was soon lost. I am absolutely and easily smitten by a pretty co
Candace Robinson
This one had a lot of atmosphere with real grit! The dialogue was wonderful and I seriously loved the adorable romance sprinkled in! It makes me want to go buy some cowboy boots right now! Oh and also have my own ghosty violin!
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell
I don't know about you but this book reminds me of THE BONE HOUSES, and I loved THE BONE HOUSES. Anything that gives me creepy, ghosty, Tim Burtony vibes is a YES I WANT for me
Jenny Baker
Jul 19, 2020 rated it liked it

Ghost Wood Song is an entertaining magical realism novel that’s an easy read, ideal for a lazy Sunday afternoon. It's not scary ghost story, in case you're wondering. I highly recommend the audiobook.
Erin A. Craig
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Waters' debut is a true Southern Gothic, striking the perfect balance of atmospheric chills, dark familial secrets, and a yearning for the warm comforts of home. I could hear the cicadas' call and feel the smothering humidity, even as I shivered!
rachel ☾

◯ Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagramThe Book Depository
Hannah Whitten
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this creepy, atmospheric, lyrical book. The characters jump off the page and the resolution is SO satisfying.
Madison Mary
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
"I wait with the trees and the ghosts, trembling in the warm spring air, my body tuned to a frequency that only sounds like white noise, empty static to my mind. No matter how hard I listen, the silence never resolves into melody"

*ARC provided on Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

An eerie debut about a girl desperate to save her brother and a fiddle that raises ghosts.

SUMMARY
Shady Grove grew up in a house full of ghosts, and when her father played his fiddle he could call forth t
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Well I'm 100% buying that cover
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

I usually begin new (especially debut) novels with high expectations, and then I’m almost inevitably disappointed (see The Nameless Queen, as one example among many). This time was sort of the opposite. I requested the ARC from Edelweiss on impulse, with no real belief it would be very good since the blurb is so vague, and it turned out to be AMAZING.

Seventeen-year-old Shady Grove Crawford lives in a trailer in Florida with her mo
Liz Lawson
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, atmospheric, with a complex mystery driving its central plot, GHOST WOOD SONG is a must read in 2020. An absolutely fantastic debut!
Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫
Ghost Wood Song is an example of magical realism at its finest! What I loved about this story was the bond of music that the central characters shared, and how they take their art out into nature and then the stage and just play together.

The main character, Shady, is a fiddle player and she lost her father four years ago in a car accident. Now his fiddle, which has the magic to summon ghosts, is needed to clear her brother's name of a murder, and put the family's secrets to rest once and for al
Ash Otterloo
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ghost Wood Song manages to capture aching truths about bisexuality and growing up in a difficult family, and marries them to a sumptuous atmosphere, ghost-lore, and well-earned twists...the result is intoxicating and fabulously creepy. The author's characters are deep and complex in a way that never detracts from the pace, and I'll definitely be reaching for it to re-read in the future. All the stars.
Sage Knightly
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Huge thanks to the publisher via Edelweiss+
for the eARC! This in no way affects my review

Ghost Wood Song is a story about love and loss, the stages of grief, music and ghosts, secrets, and family. It is a sibling bond so strong that old secrets are dug up and put to rest in order to save each other. It is a father and daughter relationship so pure that regardless of any misdeeds or secrets, they still care for and support each other. It is a boy wrongly accused of murder and a girl who wou
Celia McMahon
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Edelweiss and the publisher for the chance to review this title.

GHOST WOOD SONG is the hauntingly gay murder mystery with a fiddle that calls ghosts from the afterworld that you want to read. Like now.

I requested GHOST WOOD SONG purely on the cover. It offered an atmospheric jaunt through one girl's life of love and loss. Shady lives in a trailer in Florida with her mom, older brother, step-sister, and step-dad. Life for Shady hasn't been easy since the tragic death of her father and t
Karissa
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Series Info/Source: This is a stand alone book that I got through NetGalley to review.

Story (4/5): When Shady’s brother is accused of killing her stepfather, Shady is determined to prove her brother’s innocence. To do this she decides to track down her father’s missing fiddle and see if she can call her stepfather’s ghost to her. This was an engaging story with a well done murder mystery as the main driver. Shady’s ability to use her father’s cursed fiddle to call ghosts to her adds a supernatur
Lizz DiCesare
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
“I’ve lived with ghosts my whole life, but this is the first time I’ve ever felt haunted.”

Every time I read a creepy book set in the woods, I think to myself, “this is it, this is the last time I read a book set in the woods!” And yet, as soon as I see another story with an eerie forest setting, I toss everything aside and run straight for it. That’s exactly what happened with Ghost Wood Song by Erica Waters, and while my sleep schedule might regret it, the rest of me does not.

Ghost Wood Song fo
USOM
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

If I could sum up what I enjoyed in Ghost Wood Song in two elements it's got to be the spookiness and all the queerness. We love a bisexual MC with a love triangle that was crafted well. Shady begins the book griefstricken and wondering if she could change the chaos around her and get answers. But we all know sometimes answers don't bring the closure we're looking for and only more qu
Inkslinger
Ghost Wood Song by Erica Waters

ARC provided by Harper Collins/HarperTeen and Erica Waters via Edelweiss+. All opinions are mine and freely given.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | BookBub

"I'd never say it out loud, and even admitting it to myself gives me chills, but if I could have a fiddle made of my daddy's bones, I'd take it. I'd take it and play it and learn all the secrets he kept, all the sorrows he bore inside his breast."

07-21: 'Ghost Wood Song' by Erica Waters is a story that unfolds in one of those
Diana Pinguicha
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, musical story about the power of love and grief.
Gayatri Saikia   | per_fictionist
First of all “cue the music” for that unquestionably gorgeous and aesthetically creepy cover, please. I don’t think I’ve ever fallen so hard for a cover as much as I did for “GHOST WOOD SONG” and I almost immediately went on Goodreads to look for it’s synopsis and I think deep in my heart I knew that it’d be the kind of book I usually go for. AND TO MY ABSOLUTE SURPRISE IT WAS. < BEAUTIFUL CREATURES MEET WILDER GIRLS> UHMM YES PLEASE, shove it to my face any day!
I must unequivocally admit that
Riya Queen
Jul 16, 2020 rated it liked it
2.6🌟

When I was going into this book, I certainly wasn't expecting what I was given. Ghost Wood song is marketed as this creepy, atmospheric book, where this girl, Shady Grove can bring back people's ghosts with a tune from her fiddle, and that's the least we got from the plot.

It was more of family drama, secrets kept buried and less of the creepiness and the atmospheric vibes I was expecting. Don't get me wrong- there were a lot of dark and important issues this book dealt with; grief, anger an
Caidyn (NO LONGER ACTIVE; he/him/his)
I received an ARC through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review!

CW: death, murder, physical assaults, mention of past rape attempt, car crash, intimate partner violence and child abuse, and general scenes of violence

3.5/5

This was an intense read. It sucks you in with a feeling of foreboding and it reminded me, in some ways, of The Bone Houses. That was one of my favorite books from last year and I love the new waves of horror that are coming to us. It's fantastic.

Overall, I thought this boo
Michelle Aschenbrenner
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

Ghosts, and fiddles, and Southern Gothic themes? Oh heck yes! I devoured this book and was left blown away by the unique and beautifully written story.

Ghost Wood Song follows Shady Grove as she struggles through unhappy home situations and ventures through the pull to play music her father once did, all the while still trying to heal from her father's death. I really enjoyed how the author handled the portra
L.S.
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An atmospheric, beautiful and spooky YA contemporary fantasy with memorable characters and an interesting premise that will appeal to lovers of bluegrass, ghosts and southern gothic. Deftly portrays the poignant experience of dealing with grief and loss as a teen, and features a kind, wholesome heroine from a low income family in a rural southern town without any of the stereotypes I’ve seen in other similar characters. Shady Grove’s swoon-worthy, good-natured male love interest is a plus.
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
Dec 11, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
Thank you HarperCollins and HarperTeen for the ARC.

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | BlogLovin’
Logan
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much that I couldn’t put it down and read it in less than 24 hours! An intricate and beautiful tale about family bonds and the ghosts of the past. An impressive debut and I can’t wait to read more of her books in the future!
Margaret
Such an excellent Southern YA Gothic, that speaks so much of my own childhood living in a small Southern town (though in Tennessee), surrounded by music. If you love music and ghosts and folksongs and mysteries, this is one to read.
Isabella
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review through Edelweiss, so first of all, thank you.

The cover of this book definitely attracted me, and the synopsis just pulled me in completely.

We follow Shady Grove, a girl who loves bluegrass music and whose dad could raise ghosts from the dead with his music. Shady starts tapping into that same power once her older brother gets accused of a murder he - maybe - didn't commit.

The idea seemed incredibly original, right of the bat. I have been
gwendalyn _books_
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it

by Erica Waters
July 14th
@harpercollins
☠️
Attention! Attention !
You need this book in your life
Thank you @ericawatersbooks and @harperteen for this copy!

This book was received from the Author, and Publisher, in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

Mysterious Family Secrets, Bluegrass, A haunted Violin and Ghost
Music becomes magic in the hands of the right person...
With lush southern gothic vibes, this haunting debu
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Seasons of the Storm (Seasons of the Storm, #1)
  • Sisters of Sword and Song
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
  • The Year of the Witching
  • Mayhem
  • Faith: Taking Flight (Faith Herbert Origin Story, #1)
  • Agnes at the End of the World
  • Burn Our Bodies Down
  • Shielded (Shielded, #1)
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • The Crow Rider (The Storm Crow, #2)
  • The Boundless (The Beholder, #2)
  • The Silence of Bones
  • The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • Goddess in the Machine (Goddess in the Machine, #1)
  • Cinderella Is Dead
Erica Waters writes YA contemporary fantasy with a Southern Gothic feel. She's originally from the pine woods of rural Florida but has made her home in Nashville, TN, where she's learned to love bluegrass and has even starting learning banjo. Her best friends are two scruffy little rescue dogs named Nutmeg and Luna. GHOST WOOD SONG is her debut novel.