Start by marking “The Silk Merchant of Sychar” as Want to Read:
The Silk Merchant of Sychar

The Silk Merchant of Sychar

One woman, five husbands and the weary rabbi at the well who knows everything she ever did. The day after they bury her husband Leah Marcellus loses her baby. A widow and childless, what man will want her now? Her father arranges a second marriage--a profitable business arrangement--sealed on Mount Gerizim, the holy mountain where every true follower of Yahweh worships, bu ...more
Published November 10th 2019 by Rhiza Connect

To ask other readers questions about The Silk Merchant of Sychar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silk Merchant of Sychar

Start your review of The Silk Merchant of Sychar
Staci
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Engaging take on John 4 which covers Jesus speaking to a Samaritan woman at Jacob's well. The vast majority of the novel are the fictional events that happen prior to the meeting at the well.

Leah Marcellus endures so much tragedy in her young life. The author does a nice job of not presenting her as perfect, but as a young woman against difficult crossroads that realistically may not always make the best decisions. Leah was a good person and intelligent as well. I turned the pages quickly to see
Valerie
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book 3 days ago and could not put it down! I am a fussy reader, I like a good story but for me the most important is the way it is written. I like literature, I like grammar . I don't like weak characters and corny stories. When I read a book I like to be entertained, surprised, challenged. I like to learn things, I like to escape in another culture and be engulfed in its traditions, its people. This book has got it all. It's a peculiar story, the story of a woman in Bibli ...more
Linda Klager
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow - I had no idea how this book would progress like it did.

I could not believe the misfortune that Leah Marcellus had in marriage and childbirth. Her father arranged her first 2 marriages. She had a true love in this book and that ended very tragically. Leah had miscarriages and there was physical abuse to Leah and her son. Leah continued to be very strong, but misguided.

Leah had a very good sense for business transactions and financial matters and she dearly loved her son.

Everything changed
Helen
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book wins the award for keeping me engrossed and captivated. It opened up my world, invigorated my senses and provided me with the perfect escape into a world so different to mine. My only disappointment was that it came to an end! I was taken on an exquisite, insightful journey into the culture and society that existed in biblical times, and more specifically the twists and turns, hardships and fortuitous events of the life of a woman who had 5 husbands. This book is a must read.
Cathy Donnelly
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was interested in reading this book as soon as I read the blurb.

It sounded intriguing and I was not wrong. The Silk Merchant of Sychar was a well-written and enthralling story. Cindy Williams took an encounter Jesus had with a woman by a well and wove it into a story full of surprises. Her telling of Leah’s journey carried me every step of the way with her, through her joys and heartaches, her pain and suffering, her strength and doubts, but most of all, her determination to be her own woman.
Rachel
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a very well written take on the Woman at the Well. The author does a great job of showing the awful prejudices that women such as this character lived with, and so how outrageously counter cultural and radically feminist Jesus was in reaching out to her and teaching her - and blessing her with a ministry!

The extra padding that has been added to the very bare bones we know of this character from the bible is completely believable and obviously very well researched.

A great tale, excellent
Ray Woodrow
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic interweaving of wonderful, imaginative fiction with the biblical narrative. Would recommend this to anyone. Spoiler alert, tearjerker from the first page. I wouldn't normally read this kind of story but I'm glad I did. There were, for me, a few minor transition issues but I could not let it put me off reading the story, I had to know what came next. Great writing, Cindy.
Sally Blyde
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was always intrigued how a woman could end up with five husbands! I love historical fiction. This novel is plausible, entertaining and sheds a fascinating light on what life was like for many women in the times when Jesus walked the earth. It delves into varied social and cultural insights of the times and the momentum continues from cover to cover. A great read!
Melissa
Jan 12, 2020
Samanta
Jan 15, 2020
Cindy Williams
Jan 16, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Naomi
Loraine
Jul 17, 2020
Carol
Jul 17, 2020
Goodreads Librari...: Please link this book to my author profile 3 11 Jan 15, 2020 06:35PM

• Chasing Dreams (Chandler Sisters #2)
  • Memories of Glass
  • Finding Wings (Chandler Sisters #3)
  • The Road to Terminus
  • More Than We Remember
  • Renegade Spy (Laynie Portland #2)
  • Laynie Portland, Spy Resurrected
  • Where the Road Bends
  • The Crushing Depths (Coastal Guardians, #2)
  • Spy Rising (Laynie Portland #0.5)
  • Retired Spy (Laynie Portland #1)
  • An Appalachian Summer
  • Until the Mountains Fall (Cities of Refuge, #3)
  • Midwives of Moses (Faith Finders, #1)
  • The Medallion
  • All Things New
  • A Dream within a Dream (Coffey & Hill, #3)
  • My Heart Belongs in Fort Bliss, Texas: Priscilla’s Reveille