Start by marking “The Winter Companion (Parish Orphans of Devon, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Winter Companion (Parish Orphans of Devon, #4)

The Winter Companion

(Parish Orphans of Devon #4)

A winter reunion for the orphans brings romance for Neville Cross in Book 4 of Mimi Matthews' USA Today bestselling Parish Orphans of Devon series.

She Needed to be Seen...

As a lady’s companion, Clara Hartwright never receives much attention from anyone. And that’s precisely how she likes it. With a stormy past, and an unconventional plan for her future, it’s far safer to r
Published February 11th 2020 by Perfectly Proper Press

To ask other readers questions about The Winter Companion, please sign up.
Mimi Matthews Yes! Alex Wyndham is recording the audio version for Audible next month, and I'm hoping it will be out soon after. xx…moreYes! Alex Wyndham is recording the audio version for Audible next month, and I'm hoping it will be out soon after. xx(less)

Start your review of The Winter Companion (Parish Orphans of Devon, #4)
Courtney Clark
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook update: I love this story even more upon a reread! It's the perfect conclusion to the series and a sweet romance in itself. It's wonderful to see Neville's side of things and his quiet intelligence shine through as he meets his match in Clara, a smart and caring heroine herself.
I was grinning at the epilogue, once again!
Rachel McMillan
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
GUESS WHAT it is Neville's turn!! Oh Neville, you bunny rabbit. Anyone who has followed the Parish Orphans of Devon quartet knows that Neville has played a strong and present role in each. Unofficial ward/friend/brother to Justin, a tragic accident has left him with a speech impediment despite the sharpness of his mind and ( most importantly) the tenderness of his heart.

Neville's strong, silent and stable presence since book 1 has been a balm amidst the four very different childhood friends and
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I was so excited to get this because she tells the most wonderful romantic tales!
This was quite different from her others in the sense that, Mr Cross is a different man than the rest. Physically he’s big and beautifully handsome and probably the kindest of the four men, but he’s suffered a brain injury. Neville ended up being one of my favorites of the men. I swooned over his looks and kindness. The story was wonderful.
I really enjoyed the fact that none of the “couples” could keep
Sarah Monzon
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you need me, I’ll be in a pile of mush over here. I knew from the previous Parrish Orphans book that I would love Neville and I was not wrong. I honestly don’t think Matthews can write a hero that I don’t love, but Neville is special guys. You HAVE to meet him for yourself. That being said, I can’t believe the series is over. What am I going to do now? Need. More. Books.
OLT
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
(3.5 stars) I suppose a reader could jump right in to this story about Neville Cross, the last entry in Matthews' Victorian HR series about four men who grew up as parish orphans in Devon. Each one took a different path in life: Justin (of the first book) became a soldier; Tom, a lawyer; Alex, a world-traveling gambler/grifter. But Neville, who, when very young, suffered a traumatic brain injury when out playing by the cliffs with the other three, has a different kind of story.

As I said, you cou
Karen
Feb 23, 2020 added it
5 STARS

Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
-Tennyson, Ulysses

Oh... what a beautiful ending to this incredible series. I'm so filled up with emotion for these characters. And I'm so happy that Ms. Matthews gave us this glimpse into Neville's world. His hopes and dr
Shawna
5 stars – Historical Romance

Every once in a while, a wonderful, deeply affecting book like The Winter Companion comes along and reminds me why I love reading romances so much. It’s a simple, tender, touching, heartwarming, and beautifully written story of two lonely people wanting to be known and understood for who they are and longing for respect, acceptance, connection, friendship, and affection.

Neville is one of the sweetest, kindest heroes I’ve ever read about. He’s such a gentle giant
Vintage
It sounds like a sweet romance, but I made the mistake of skimming and just could not get over the ungrateful brother and condemning mother. Out of guilt, (view spoiler) ...more
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
This sweet, uplifting and heart-warming love story was an enchanting finale to Mimi Matthews’s best-selling Parish Orphans of Devon series

While I loved all the previous heroes in this series, there is just something special about Neville that captured my heart. At times, I wanted to reach into the book and hug him so tight. Through his thoughts and feelings, Ms. Matthews gives the reader an insight into how the effects of Neville’s injury have shaped his life.

Ever since Justin had provided a
Lu
A man with a speech disability meets a woman in search of her place in the world. A lovely Victorian tale of love and fulfillment

“The Winter Companion” brings Mimi Mathew’s Parish Orphans of Devon series to a sweet and thought-provoking close. The book is standalone, but the whole series is excellent and I recommend reading them all.

Confined to an orphanage, friends Justin, Tom, Alex and Neville faced a traumatic childhood deprived of almost everything but found in each other strength to cope
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
This author has such a skill at bringing her characters to life! I always pitied Neville in the previous books because of his limitations, but what he really needed was a champion- Clara sees him for who he really is and knows that he is capable. I loved being able to get into his head and seeing just how much he comprehends and what the effects of his head injury really were. Their friendship and romance is just so, so sweet! I have a soft spot for the strong silent type, and Clara's individual ...more
Jultri
It was a terrible thing to be alone in the world. To be dismissed and discarded. To never belong anywhere. What was a dog to do in his old age if no one wanted him? More to the point, what was a woman to do?

She becomes a lady's companion. Well actually, Clara is not quite over the hill yet, but she is certainly quite alone without a home to call her own and she knows how it feels to be dismissed and discarded. Arriving at an isolated abbey with her new employer for a winter house party, she
Jocelyn Green
I finally finished The Parish Orphans of Devon series! I love how each of these grown-up orphan heroes and their journeys were so distinct from one another. In this book, Neville is portrayed so beautifully, it's heart-rending. It was easy to root for his happiness. The end of the book was satisfying not just for this volume, but for the series as a whole.

I listened to the audio for each one and loved the narrators, too. (The Kindle books are really inexpensive, and then adding the audio is che
♥Sharon♥
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I have thoroughly enjoyed this series. I loved Justin’s story as I did Tom’s and Alex’s. But I have to say that it was brilliant that Mimi Matthews saved Neville’s story for last. With each tidbit we got of Neville along the way you couldn’t help but fall in love with the guy.

Neville was always the quiet one though he was big and bold. You never quite knew what was going on in his head. In The Winter Companion MM gave him his voice. And it was wonderful. ❤

These orphan boys, now men, share s
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
If you are following me on Facebook, Instagram or Goodreads, you will know that Mimi Matthews is my new author obsession. I started with the first book in this series and then worked my way forward and back. I have loved all the books. Did you know that this author does a serial novel- releasing a chapter at a time- in her newsletter? It's SO good and it's also driving me nuts because one chapter per month is a horrible way to read a novel by this author!! I lack patience.

This is the fourth boo
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Clara Hartwright has spent the last few years working as a lady's companion, sending her wages to support her brother's education at Cambridge. But a life of keeping her opinions and observations to herself is not a position to which she is well suited. Clara wants a life spent enriching her education and feeling useful. In fact her greatest dream is to work as her brother's secretary when he begins his career as a natural scientist.

Neville's life has been one of routine. A childhood head injury
Amy Bruno
Reading the last book in a series you love is always bittersweet. On one hand I am so sad to leave the world that Mimi Matthews created but I am grateful to have had the chance to experience it,and I know I will never forget them.

I have loved every book in the Parish Orphans of Devon but this one is extra special to me because Neville finally gets his day in the sun.

The clan is all together at Greyfriar's Abbey for Christmas. Tom, Alex, and Justin are all there with their wives and are prepari
Veronique
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fourth and last instalment in this series, this time focusing on Neville Cross. Matthews always writes excellent historical romances, full of correct contemporary details that make the setting come to life. And of course, the excellent characters, which here take on an extra level.

I always wondered how the author would deal with Neville and his ‘speech impediment’, caused by the accident he had in his youth that nearly killed him. His brain is functioning fine and you can see he is an intellige
Debbie
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Lit Bitch
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
To say that I have been eager to read this final installment of the Parish Orphans of Devon series is a gross understatement. I absolutely loved all of Mimi Matthews books and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this one!

Of all the orphans, Neville was probably to most mysterious character for me and the one we never seemed to get to know, beyond the basic back story told by the other characters.

I was excited to see how Neville’s love story as well as his character unfolded in this book. There wa
Laura J.
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Neville is one of four friends who grew up together in a harsh orphanage. Due to an accident as a child, Neville has a speech impediment which causes people to assume he is slow witted, which in turn, causes Neville to be anxious around strangers. Even his friends feel he needs protecting. However Neville is the best kind of hero: intelligent, kind, thoughtful (as well as handsome!). Clara is a paid companion to an elderly lady who is visiting, along with her family, the home of Neville’s friend ...more
Bon
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley for an advanced copy for review!

And here I was, thinking the third book would be my favorite of the Orphans series – I was mistaken! This takes a place among my favorites of Mimi’s books. A veritable giant of a man who treats animals kindly and is pretty to look at, and a studious, determined, progressive Victorian lady protagonist who just wants to catalog flora and fauna? I was so in. And interestingly enough, the afterword was one of the best parts of the book?

I’m not sur
Maria
Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review

“«I don’t need things to be different. And I certainly don’t need you to be different. I love you exactly as you are.»” (Clara to Neville, quote from ARC)

4.5 stars.
This is such a lovely, beautifully written historical novel about a wounded hero, afflicted by a seldom fictionalized condition, and the heroine whom he befriends and falls head over heels in love with.
Neville is such a delight to read, his blond good looks and big size play
Dana Michael
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Winter Companion is the fourth book in the series and unfortunately the last. I have devoured each page anticipating what happens next. This author is the best at writing romance. She knows how to evoke emotion from the characters and make the reader feel a part of the story. The hero, Neville is now my new book boyfriend. Oh how I loved how he treated and treasured the heroine, Clara. That first kiss was probably the sweetest and most precious kiss I have ever read. Sigh and swoon. This ser ...more
eyes.2c
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another fab read,
JP
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5⭐️
Love this Author, and loved the conclusion to this trilogy! Wonder writing and wonderful story. 💕
Lady Delacour
The Winter Companion
gently builds as you slip
into the story and find
yourself caring about
this growing friendship
between Clara and Neville.
3.9 Lovely Romantic Stars.
Clean, with a little Slang.
Luli
Puedes encontrar esta reseña en español al final.

I know I sound like a broken record, but Ms. Matthews has become my favorite author of historical romance. Due as much for her slow and sweet romances as for her interesting and original characters as for her, almost millimeter, historical accuracy.
If we add to all of the above that, in this series, The Orphans of Devon, only one MC belongs to the nobility, this is already the icing on the cake. Finding in historical-romancelandia a story that doe
Kathy Jo
I have slowly been falling in love with Neville since the first book in this series. In my opinion, he's the glue that holds these four friends together. I'm sure he holds a special place in all of our hearts. He's one of the most endearing characters I've ever encountered in my years of reading.

Years ago, Neville was involved in an accident that resulted in a brain injury which has affected his speech. It hasn't been easy to deal with. People think he's slow and, for lack of a better word, dum
Susan Snodgrass
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
'All she'd known was that she wanted nothing more than the formidable safety of his arms.'

Mimi Matthews brings us the last book in her 'Parish Orphans of Devon' series and now I am so sad that there aren't any more books in this series. A friend recommended Mimi Matthews to me last month and I quickly read the first three books in this series and found them absolutely wonderful. This one is Neville Cross's story. Sweet, strong Neville. We find all four men, former orphans who were treated so des
Play Book Tag: The Winter Companion - Matthews - 3 stars 1 5 Dec 13, 2020 11:55AM

• Headliners (London Celebrities, #5)
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • The Duke I Tempted (Secrets of Charlotte Street, #1)
  • Reforming Lord Neil (Inglewood #5)
  • Single in Buenos Aires (The Polo Diaries, #1)
  • Watching Over Me (Crime After Crime #1)
  • Keeping Katerina
  • The Widow of Rose House
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Mated By The Cyborg
  • Clara (Daddy's Favorites)
  • Bearly Rivals
  • Tina
  • Demon Beginnings
  • Bear Necessities
  • Beauty (Modern Wicked Fairy Tales)
  • Little Brats: Qesa
  • A Snowflake at Midnight (Elemental Steampunk Tales, #4)
USA Today bestselling author Mimi Matthews writes both historical nonfiction and award-winning proper Victorian romances, including Fair as a Star, a Library Journal Best Romance of 2020; Gentleman Jim, a Kirkus Best Indie Romance of 2020; and The Work of Art, winner of the 2020 HOLT Medallion. Her novels have received starred reviews from Library Journal, Publishers Weekly, and Kirkus, and her ar ...more

Parish Orphans of Devon (4 books)
  • The Matrimonial Advertisement (Parish Orphans of Devon, #1)
  • A Modest Independence (Parish Orphans of Devon, #2)
  • A Convenient Fiction (Parish Orphans of Devon, #3)